The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

50 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

https://cardiaccane.com/2020/05/29/carolina-hurricanes-trade-jack-eichel/

"Acquiring Eichel would be a bit more difficult. Please do not take any of this for a solid fact, this is all theoretical. Eichel is a point per game player, and those don’t grow on trees. Buffalo already drastically need a 2nd line center, so someone like Suzuki or Necas would have to be included. Buffalo has a shortage of right-handed defenders too. Someone like Joey Keane may fix that.

On top of that, it would take probably two first-round picks. From there it’s a salary balance beam I think. Someone like Nino Niederreiter maybe to help the cap hits. Again, this is all just my ideas. None of this has been states publicly outside of Eichel complaining about losing."

Can we beat Suzuki or Necas + two first round picks? ...minus Neiderreiter for cap dump?

Really think it will be Gaudreau + Monahan + Hanifin + Bennett + Rittich?  

see, was I that far off? I don’t think I was too far out to lunch in my idea that it would take s as bigger deal to get him. 

I still think I do it if they would take Gaudreau and Monahan. I think without Gaudreau Monahan is a 20 goal 45 point guy. So getting rid of Gaudreau would kill 15-20 of monahan’s goals. Plus can’t forget in his rookie year Monahan had Hudler, who was basically Gaudreau while a Flames player. Monahan needs someone to pass him the puck. Who’ll do it without Johnny?

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

"Acquiring Eichel would be a bit more difficult. Please do not take any of this for a solid fact, this is all theoretical. Eichel is a point per game player, and those don’t grow on trees. Buffalo already drastically need a 2nd line center, so someone like Suzuki or Necas would have to be included. Buffalo has a shortage of right-handed defenders too. Someone like Joey Keane may fix that.

On top of that, it would take probably two first-round picks. From there it’s a salary balance beam I think. Someone like Nino Niederreiter maybe to help the cap hits. Again, this is all just my ideas. None of this has been states publicly outside of Eichel complaining about losing."

Can we beat Suzuki or Necas + two first round picks? ...minus Neiderreiter for cap dump?

Im no expert with trades, but let’s take Eichel out of the picture for a moment. Would you trade all those flames players for that Carolina offer? I sure as heck wouldn’t. I don’t think they’re comparable. That Carolina offer is trying to buy Eichel for futures. Does Buffalo want futures for Eichel? Botteril doesnt have that long a leash. Johnny and Monny are already guaranteed and established players in the league. A top-line tandem. If Carolina wanted to compete with an offer of Monahan and Gaudreau, at minimum it starts at Aho+. The author of the article is trying to acquire Eichel with the least amount of surgery to the current Carolina roster. IMO, that’s not what’s going to pry Eichel out of Buffalo. 

• Like 1

Every team should call on Eichel. But I honestly don't see it making a lot of sense for Carolina. They already have their #1 C and a very affordable Trochek at 2C. Acquiring Eichel would make a Hamilton extension very difficult, Svechnikov is also up and at some point they need a #1 goalie.

Brind'amour has that group playing as such a cohesive unit. Yes Eichel helps them, but as is, that's a Cup contending team IMO. I think there's a lesson to be learned from Ottawa trading Turris and bringing in Duchene. It really upset the applecart in the Sens room.

Carolina can definitely give an interesting offer though. I think the writer was mistaken when he said BUF has no NHL RD, they have 4, but Jake Bean would be interesting for BUF. 

If a trade happens I think BUF takes an offer that involves immediate help as well as a 1st and pretty good prospect. 

Speaking of no-trade lists, Gaudreau has a 5 team list.

The way I read that is there are only 5 teams he agrees to be traded to.

The wording of others is the player has a 10 team no trade list, so I suspect Guadrea's means only 5 to be traded to.

You would have to think that NYR is one team, maybe CHI, but the remaining teams would not be NJ.

That's a small team list to try to make a trade with.

If he truly wants to control his future, he would make it impossible for the team to trade him.

Pick teams that have zero cap space.

I think there may be too much read into the fact he owns a house in the East.

HIs best friends live and work in CGY.

If he's getting traded, he's not picking the location.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ah yes right.  I remember now.

But that was 2/3 years ago.  I believe he was improved this season and trending well again.  There's a chance our analytics on him have changed.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I guess as a side question, would you consider Risto a cap dump?  As in, if we take Risto, then does that lower the ask on Eichel?  Not that BUF needs to dump cap but still.

the analytics on Risto have not changed they remain poor. 

I don’t think it would. Despite the analytics I think Risto would have good trade value  

I wonder if Montreal would move Domi, he's an RFA and reportedly he wants to be a C and MTL wants him at LW.

Wonder if there's a deal centered around Domi and Hanifin.

How much fun would Domi and Tkachuk be on a line together?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, robrob74 said:

see, was I that far off? I don’t think I was too far out to lunch in my idea that it would take s as bigger deal to get him. 

I still think I do it if they would take Gaudreau and Monahan. I think without Gaudreau Monahan is a 20 goal 45 point guy. So getting rid of Gaudreau would kill 15-20 of monahan’s goals. Plus can’t forget in his rookie year Monahan had Hudler, who was basically Gaudreau while a Flames player. Monahan needs someone to pass him the puck. Who’ll do it without Johnny?

So Dube + two 1st round picks for Eichel then.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

So Dube + two 1st round picks for Eichel then.

I guess I was then! Lol. At least with the last comment. I still think they should wait and get the best deal possible. I’d love it to take Dube though.

If there's one area I think the Flames need to address in the offseason, it's centre. 

I don't think it's enough for the Flames to just sign a UFA RW and be on their way. I just don't see the Flames having a C that can put the team on his back to carry them through the grind of a playoff. IMO right now for the Flames to win a cup Backlund has to be the Conn Smyth winner.

#1 centres are almost impossible to acquire, so you could do it by committee. Cirelli and Domi could be available. That gives you essentially 3 lines of #2C. Not the most conventional, but it would create matchup problems. 

Or of course there's Eichel. It's really, really unlikely he's moved, but IMO you make a Godfather offer. You are in all likelihood getting the best 6 years of Eichel's career from 23-29. If acquired, he would be a top 5 player in Flames history by the time his tenure ends. He is a franchise changer, and nothing in the organization should be off the table. Would be the first #1 C since Nieuwendyk. 

If that fails Cirelli should be a priority, but he would be costly too, lots of teams will try and poach him from Tampa

• Like 1

If you traded Gaudreau and Monahan for Eichel, you could still build a 1st line with Tkachuk. Can you keep Tkachuk with Backlund to maintain a 2nd line? Pairs work so a line of Eichel and Lindholm could be great. Or can you put Lindholm with Backlund instead and see what Tkachuk can do with Eichel?

we have some top6 candidates in Dube and Mangiapane. If Eichel is the real deal he can make Dube or Mang work, maybe even Bennett. Or Bennett can try go with Backlund again. 

matbe a young guy can surprise next year?

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

If you traded Gaudreau and Monahan for Eichel, you could still build a 1st line with Tkachuk. Can you keep Tkachuk with Backlund to maintain a 2nd line? Pairs work so a line of Eichel and Lindholm could be great. Or can you put Lindholm with Backlund instead and see what Tkachuk can do with Eichel?

we have some top6 candidates in Dube and Mangiapane. If Eichel is the real deal he can make Dube or Mang work, maybe even Bennett. Or Bennett can try go with Backlund again. 

Eichel has the ability like Mcdavid and Crosby to make average players look much better than they are. Crosby made Dupuis, Kunitz and Sheary look like legit top 6 options. Mcdavid made Maroon, Kassian and Chiasson look really good.

Not really a surprise at this point, but Flames not expected to sign Milos Roman. I would imagine it will be the same story with Linus Lindstrom but guess we'll see today.

Roman is sure a disappointment given the club traded a future 4th to select him. Never good when you don't feel your draft picks are worth their first contract at a position of organizational weakness. 

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I don't doubt we can replace Monahan and Gaudreau, honestly we stayed afloat with both of them being unproductive for long periods this season.  I just think from Buffalo why do they do it?  It really doesn't make them better they would still be a one line team only with the risk of losing both pieces in 2 and 3 years respectively.  Fans in Buffalo don't just want to challenge for a playoff spot for 2 years, which I don't even know if Gaudreau and Monahan drastically help that, and then push the reset button, they want to challenge for the cup and how do you sell that to fans when many people round here don't believe they make a much deeper Flames team a legit contender.

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

I don't doubt we can replace Monahan and Gaudreau, honestly we stayed afloat with both of them being unproductive for long periods this season.  I just think from Buffalo why do they do it?  It really doesn't make them better they would still be a one line team only with the risk of losing both pieces in 2 and 3 years respectively.  Fans in Buffalo don't just want to challenge for a playoff spot for 2 years, which I don't even know if Gaudreau and Monahan drastically help that, and then push the reset button, they want to challenge for the cup and how do you sell that to fans when many people round here don't believe they make a much deeper Flames team a legit contender.

There probably isn't a way that Buffalo can truly win a trade involving Eichel.  The only reason they do it is if they feel they have no choice (ie. Eichel demands a trade).  In that case, Buffalo just has to take the best deal they are offered, and if that deal is a lateral move then so be it.

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

There probably isn't a way that Buffalo can truly win a trade involving Eichel.  The only reason they do it is if they feel they have no choice (ie. Eichel demands a trade).  In that case, Buffalo just has to take the best deal they are offered, and if that deal is a lateral move then so be it.

Maybe you have to add a Hanifin or something like that to make it work. 

Steinberg confirms the rumors. Neither Roman nor Lindstrom offered by the Flames.

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Steinberg confirms the rumors. Neither Roman nor Lindstrom offered by the Flames.

I had hope for Lindsrtom, but he's dropped in play since we drafted him.

Not that surprising they didn't sign Lindstrom or Roman. In recent years, the Flames have either signed their prospects early or they let them walk. They haven't typically been a team that's doing business June 1, to lock these guys up, they made their mind up a while ago it would seem.

Bit disappointing because they traded up for Roman and after last seasons 60pt campaign, I really thought he had a shot at earning a deal. This year he regressed it appears.

On 5/31/2020 at 3:02 AM, The_People1 said:

Considering Buffalos 2nd highest scorer is their 2C and theres just as much RD on the roster as LD I'm not sure what oriface this guy is pulling his info from.  Basically I wouldn't put much weight behind his suggested trade values.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I thought they extended the signing date! 

That's my bad. Ryan Pike reported he heard the date was extended and i think i put that in here but turns out it was a different deadline.

11 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Considering Buffalos 2nd highest scorer is their 2C and theres just as much RD on the roster as LD I'm not sure what oriface this guy is pulling his info from.  Basically I wouldn't put much weight behind his suggested trade values.

Reinhart played the majority of his time with Eichel on the wing, although drafted as a centre he has primarily been a winger in the NHL.  They didn't have any other centre that recorded more than 30 points.  Not a far stretch to say they don't have a proven centre outside of Eichel.

40 minutes ago, cross16 said:

That's my bad. Ryan Pike reported he heard the date was extended and i think i put that in here but turns out it was a different deadline.

Even if they extended the date to July 1st, a separate agreement would have to be negotiated with the Swedish League.

28 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Reinhart played the majority of his time with Eichel on the wing, although drafted as a centre he has primarily been a winger in the NHL.  They didn't have any other centre that recorded more than 30 points.  Not a far stretch to say they don't have a proven centre outside of Eichel.

My bad, Buffalos site listed him as C. Really kinda amplifies the fact theyre short everywhere else as much a C, if not more. Get some proper top line wingers then he could be utilized in his natural position.

15 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

My bad, Buffalos site listed him as C. Really kinda amplifies the fact theyre short everywhere else as much a C, if not more. Get some proper top line wingers then he could be utilized in his natural position.

The Sabres utilization of Reinhart has been odd for sure. Drafted 2nd overall as a center in part because he was one of the more pro ready and complete centers in the draft and then they basically never gave it a try. Save for about 20 games I think in his career they've played him as a winger. 

so not sure if there is something in his game the Sabres soured on at center or if it's just because they've wanted to play him with both ROR and Eichel but it's been many years at winger now for him.