The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

What are the details on Backlund's NTC again?  Full no move for one more season?

Full No Trade next season, then the remaining 3 seasons of his deal he has a 10 team yes list

The Sabres look like crap, but they have a really good franchise player. We thought the same thing about Vancouver for years until the emergence of Petterson. The Canucks look like they're nearly caught up to Calgary and the Oilers. They're on a rise and that one player has made them better. 

And if Cozens can move forward in a year or two, that's quick. They've been patient, but I think they could use just a bit more and finding guys who actually know what they're doing is probably a good thing. They remind me of the Flames prior to Burke and BT. That's not a long time ago. Although, to fix the ship, it might take a lot of Eichel's career....

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Full No Trade next season, then the remaining 3 seasons of his deal he has a 10 team yes list

I'd really like the Flames to acquire one more top 6 Center and bump Backlund down to 3rd line Center... But Backlund is too expensive for a 3rd line Center.

If we are stuck with him then I guess we are stuck with him.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

This is probably reasonable. Friedman today was commenting that Botterill didn't want to do either the Skinner deal or the Eichel deal (he didn't like the term on either) but was basically told "do it". 

I'm not as bullish on their core as I would not consider it very solid and the fact that they have 2 anchor contracts is going to hurt them. While I don't disagree that they will push to try and get better now i just don't see how it's going to work. I mean if you are Hall or Pietrangelo why would you even give a second thought of going there? I get Eichel is a draw but does that outweigh the fact that they have no direction and have gassed a GM every 3 years since the Pegula's bought the team? I think the top free agents won't even consider it as an option and it won't matter how much $ is on the table. 

I think what will end up happening is they'll get suck exactly where they've been for a while. They'll give out too much $ to middle of the road players and stay a below average team until Eichel demands a trade and they need to totally rebuild. 

Reminds me of Edmonton.  How many big UFAs have gone to Edmonton since McDavid arrived? Lucic, and that's about it.  Granted, that shot their cap flexibility to crap a bit, but they still mostly draw marginal/bottom six guys or reclamation projects in free agency.

29 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

The Sabres look like crap, but they have a really good franchise player. We thought the same thing about Vancouver for years until the emergence of Petterson. The Canucks look like they're nearly caught up to Calgary and the Oilers. They're on a rise and that one player has made them better. 

And if Cozens can move forward in a year or two, that's quick. They've been patient, but I think they could use just a bit more and finding guys who actually know what they're doing is probably a good thing. They remind me of the Flames prior to Burke and BT. That's not a long time ago. Although, to fix the ship, it might take a lot of Eichel's career....

Ya those crap Flames years were brutal.

When rebuilding, it's so important to pump out 2 or 3 legit NHLers per draft, especially when you pick top 10 in the first two rounds.  You have no excuse to not have 2 NHLers from that.

The Sabres have been drafting and developing total garbage.  Just like the Flames, Oilers, and Canucks.  I think the Flames have been drafting well under BT.  The Oilers seem to be on the right track finally.   The Canucks are pumping out some decent kids the last two years.

If the Sabres keep busting, then they have no hope.

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'd really like the Flames to acquire one more top 6 Center and bump Backlund down to 3rd line Center... But Backlund is too expensive for a 3rd line Center.

If we are stuck with him then I guess we are stuck with him.

I’m not sure Backlund will end up protected in the expansion draft, it all depends on if Lucic waives. The last protection spot would be between Dube or Backlund . That might be a way to get out of his deal. Although he’s still a productive player 

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I’m not sure Backlund will end up protected in the expansion draft, it all depends on if Lucic waives. The last protection spot would be between Dube or Backlund . That might be a way to get out of his deal. Although he’s still a productive player 

Oh but full NTC must be honored and protected?

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

This is probably reasonable. Friedman today was commenting that Botterill didn't want to do either the Skinner deal or the Eichel deal (he didn't like the term on either) but was basically told "do it". 

So would you say the relationship between Eichel and Botterill was good/great?  Or even Dahlin and Botterill? 

The reason I'm asking is what if we hired Botterill at some capacity right now?  Maybe assistant GM or something.  Add an extra voice to BT and Conroy.  Does that increase our chances to acquire Eichel or Dahlin?   Botterill must know what Pegula thinks of every player and can steal a few players off them.

16 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The 7 forwards should be Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Backlund, Dube, Lucic/Mangiapane/Bennett. I don't see why they wouldn't protect Backlund.

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Oh but full NTC must be honored and protected?

Only NMC needs to be protected.

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The 7 forwards should be Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Backlund, Dube, Lucic/Mangiapane/Bennett. I don't see why they wouldn't protect Backlund.

It’s a slam dunk that they protect Mang. If they add a forward that’s where it becomes decision time. Say they add Max Domi, then Backlund probably isn’t protected 

30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So would you say the relationship between Eichel and Botterill was good/great?  Or even Dahlin and Botterill? 

The reason I'm asking is what if we hired Botterill at some capacity right now?  Maybe assistant GM or something.  Add an extra voice to BT and Conroy.  Does that increase our chances to acquire Eichel or Dahlin?   Botterill must know what Pegula thinks of every player and can steal a few players off them.

given that Eichel openly criticized the team (but backed the coach) and now word is out his own GM wasn't a fan of his contract I would likely suggest the relationship was not very strong. 

I was pretty unimpressed with Botterill's work. I wouldn't be rushing to give him a job. 

19 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think it could do the opposite and make it them less likely to deal with us if there are hard feelings there.

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

given that Eichel openly criticized the team (but backed the coach) and now word is out his own GM wasn't a fan of his contract I would likely suggest the relationship was not very strong. 

I was pretty unimpressed with Botterill's work. I wouldn't be rushing to give him a job. 

12 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I think it could do the opposite and make it them less likely to deal with us if there are hard feelings there.

Was just an idea.  Let's not hire Botterill then.

27 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It’s a slam dunk that they protect Mang. If they add a forward that’s where it becomes decision time. Say they add Max Domi, then Backlund probably isn’t protected 

I dont think they would protect Mangiapane over Backlund.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

They should though.

I disagree. I like Mangiapane, but he isn't better than Backlund and with Dube and Pelletier in the fold we have Mangi3 replacements. We don't have a Backlund replacement on the team or in the system.

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I disagree. I like Mangiapane, but he isn't better than Backlund and with Dube and Pelletier in the fold we have Mangi3 replacements. We don't have a Backlund replacement on the team or in the system.

He's trending down.  Mangiapane is trending up.  In one years time, this will be more apparent.  

I really like Mangiapane, I don't think the Flames have enough players like him. He is a hound on the puck, and he brings it every night. I think going forward, his floor is 20-20=40.

If I was BT I'd try to get him on a longer term deal, these are the kind of players you win with. 3.5-4 on a 5 or 6 year deal. It will look like a steal in a few seasons

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sak22 said:

I don't think Eichel was in the dark about this decision, I wouldn't even be surprised if the decision to can him came after they talked to Eichel.  My money has said all along he isn't going anywhere this year, and this move IMO is to be more aggressive in getting him the help.

The Pegula’s own the Bills too right? Everything I’ve read and heard about them is that they march to the beat of their own drum. I doubt a 23 year old has much influence in their business decisions. 

And I’ve said all along that this is a team that has become so desperate for success, that I believe they’re more willing than ever to trade the future for right now. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cross16 said:

So a little bit lost in the headlines of firing Botterill is the Sabres cleaned house. Botterril out, AGMS out, half their scouting staff (approximately) out and their entire AHL coaching staff. 

This is a re do of the entire organization, not just a move to appease 1 player or get more aggressive. They are trying to find more efficiency within the organization and the fired Botterill because he balked at all of this. 

I don't suspect they are going to be aggressive to get better here..... If anything they'll go the other way. 

That’s what I was saying. This doesn’t pass the smell test for me. It actually gives me the sense that anything and everything is on the table if it pushes the right button for these owners. (And by button I mean playoffs and bringing in $)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I really like Mangiapane, I don't think the Flames have enough players like him. He is a hound on the puck, and he brings it every night. I think going forward, his floor is 20-20=40.

If I was BT I'd try to get him on a longer term deal, these are the kind of players you win with. 3.5-4 on a 5 or 6 year deal. It will look like a steal in a few seasons

I like Mangiapane.  I think he's ready for full time 2nd line LW... 20-20 is very achievable and I think he peaks at 25-35 in two to three years time if he gets some PP time.  That's good 2nd line LW production.

Just now, lou44291 said:

That’s what I was saying. This doesn’t pass the smell test for me. It actually gives me the sense that anything and everything is on the table if it pushes the right button for these owners. (And by button I mean playoffs and bringing in $)

I don't follow the Sabres and their situation but I hope you are right.  I hope we can put together a package to get Eichel and/or Dahlin.  

I feel Dahlin is overlooked here because Giordano is aging and we need to new #1 D soon.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I don't follow the Sabres and their situation but I hope you are right.  I hope we can put together a package to get Eichel and/or Dahlin.  

I feel Dahlin is overlooked here because Giordano is aging and we need to new #1 D soon.

Apologies for the novel, was feeling passionate about the topic. 

TL;DR is: Calgary rules, Buffalo drools. 😂 LOL

I’ve never been more interested in the Sabres in my life! LOL. I want to grab a bag of popcorn to see how this off-season unfolds for them!  I wish a had a timeline to rehash all the drama in this post!

Going into this off-season, half the team is RFA and UFA. To add to that, they now have a first-time GM that has all this cap space to use in a free agency... when no A-list player would ever sign with them. I mean, sure, there will be bottom 6 players eager to sign for top 6 money there, but this team has so few assets under contract to even trade to acquire other assets, and no one of quality is going to sign there in the off-season... it’s a train wreck!

- Buffalo will be interested in players already under contract, so they have them under their control.
- Buffalo will be even more interested in acquiring players with team-friendly (read: low dollar value) contracts, so that they maximize their bottom line.

- Buffalo will be interested in players that can create a buzz for fans (players that have a quality or identity that’s been lacking on the team)

- Buffalo will be interested in trading the future for the now

- Buffalo only has a few valuable assets to acquire any of the above. 

If Dhalin and Cozens are the future, Buffalo needs players who can bridge the gap and get them in the playoffs now. Veteran leaders that have had success in the league to pave the way for those young players. Eichel is an “in between”. He doesn’t fit the “right now” Sabres, and his contract will be nearing an end when Dhalin and Cozens begin to come into their own. Do I think it’s probable Eichel is traded? No. Do I think it’s possible Eichel could be traded? More than I ever have before. Again, I don’t think it’s likely, but I also believe the chances have never been better for such a thing to occur. And oddly enough, I think the Flames have the pieces to do it.

If we are going to acquire Eichel, it’s going to have to be a bold move by the GM. Eichel ain’t coming here for our scraps. If we offer Monahan & Gaudreau for Eichel as I suggested a long time ago, I truly think it happens. Buffalo couldn’t say no to 2 players that produce on average around double the points per season that Eichel does. 2 players that are on team-friendly contracts. 2 players that have years of chemistry already. 2 players that would create a crazy buzz in the fan base. 2 players that can help the Sabres get into the playoffs. 2 players that might draw other NHL players to come play with... like I said, it would have to be a bold move on our end to get Buffalo to make a bold move with Eichel. Would that be my first offer to Buffalo though? No. In any negotiation you have to feel out your trading partner. But I think any trade for Eichel starts with Monahan, and I’d add varying combinations of pieces (Not all of them of course!) like:

- Bennett (he has high draft pedigree, brings intangibles like toughness, and was drafted as a Center - a typical “change of scenery” type player).
- Hanifin (they need LD right? Team friendly contract with term)

- Jankowski (high draft pedigree, big centerman, potential to regain PK prowess)

- Kylington (Another young promising D to grow with the team)

- Draft picks/prospects that align with Buffalos youth movement and Gillies as a throw in.  

- and Yes, I’d float Lucic to them as well, just in case. Salary would likely have to be retained, but don’t roll your eyes at a fan base that is starving for some semblance of strength. A big hit, intimidation, a fight, protection for Dhalin and Cozens... who knows, he may look attractive to them at $4mil especially if they have trouble signing players in the off-season. 

Essentially I’d try to do the reverse Phaneuf trade where we’d end up with the best player in the trade, but for a group of good players that fill Buffalo’s position of need. I would keep the Mony + Johnny offer in my pocket until I can’t materialize a trade any other way, and this is assuming BT knows Gaudreau won’t re-sign here. I might even throw Bennett in there and Janko too just to reduce our own salary cap (remember, Buffalo needs players to ice a team next season!), but either way I’d also be taking a run at Petrangelo and Hall as well.

9 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Essentially I’d try to do the reverse Phaneuf trade where we’d end up with the best player in the trade, but for a group of good players that fill Buffalo’s position of need. I would keep the Mony + Johnny offer in my pocket until I can’t materialize a trade any other way, and this is assuming BT knows Gaudreau won’t re-sign here. I might even throw Bennett in there and Janko too just to reduce our own salary cap (remember, Buffalo needs players to ice a team next season!), but either way I’d also be taking a run at Petrangelo and Hall as well.

I think Buffalo would have interest in Monahan. BT can play off the fact that both Eichel and Monahan have career highs of 82 points, but Monahan is 37% cheaper.  I think you need an offer that includes significant help now and significant futures. BT would have to make a Godfather offer. My proposal seems incredibly steep, but Eichel would be one of the best to ever play for the Flames.

Mine would be

Monahan

Hanifin

Valimaki

Dube

2020 1st

2021 1st

2022 2nd