The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

56 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Bennett has some tools like speed and grit but the smarts just aren't there.  I don't even know what he can become at this point... i mean beyond a 4th line energy guy.

One of the greatest transformational stories in the NHL was Daniel Cleary who got exceptional status to play in the CHL as a 15-year-old (i remember only the 4th player in CHL history at the time after the likes of Gretzky and Orr or something crazy).  He was so good at 15.  He was then drafted into the NHL 13th overall... and then nothing.  He was a complete bust for 6 or 7 years in the NHL and was a journeyman.  Finally, the Red Wings picked him up and Babcock gave him a role.  Clearly just focused on grinding and made a great career out of it.  Arguably one of the best grinders during his prime helping the Red Wings win a Cup.  Can this be Sam Bennett's story?  

I think it's tough on the player to make that kind of change.  He knows he's better than what he's doing.

He made a determined effort to change his shot.

Now he can't even hit the net.

Brouwer wasn't a speadster but he wasn't slow.

Just not with the flow of the game.

I just don't see a fit with any player for some time.

With Backlund and Thachuk?  That improved his play, but no scoring surge.

With Janko?  Not much fit at all.  Janko looked better, but that was with a better 3rd player.

Lucic is about the only thing I think they can do.

Put him there to take draws.

He opens up the middle so Lucic and Dube can score.

I'm not even sure of that.

To me it comes down to what he does with his shifts in the playoffs.

If he comes away even, then so be it.

Not bad.

But no scoring by him and no other real impact, why are we paying that much for a role player.

I know I am being harsh.  Love the player, just not the results.

I'm getting fed up with the negative penalty differential with nothing else to show for a game.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Then it must also be true, the Flyers cannot sign Gaudreau as a UFA in the summer of 2022.

Johnny seems like a historically NYR signing. He's the kind of player they'd go for. I see about 4 teams. NYR, Bos, NYI, Phi as the teams to think about. Or we just play him to UFA and not get anything for him. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don’t see it being as natural a fit as it looks from the outside. 

Maybe he would stay at 6.75 to make it work.

For a trade, maybe PHI would send the Flames Konecny to make it work. It seems like a long shot, but their ownership wants to win. They fired Hextall for being too patient 

Their top 6

Gaudreau-Hayes-Giroux

Farabee/JVR-Couturier-Voracek

I don't see Sanheim at more than $5.5-mil x 5-years.  He's not that franchise level D.  Hart, maybe PHI can get him signed to $7-mil x 6-years.  Then you've got Niskanen coming off the books.  They still trying to move Ghost.  And someone like Konecny have trade value if push comes to shove. 

I think they want Gaudreau and will make the necessary adjustments when the moment comes to sign him as UFA.  They just can't prepare 2 years out in case Gaudreau signs an extension or gets traded and signs in new location.  If Gaudreau gets traded to NJ, I think he will extend long term there.

31 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Johnny seems like a historically NYR signing. He's the kind of player they'd go for. I see about 4 teams. NYR, Bos, NYI, Phi as the teams to think about. Or we just play him to UFA and not get anything for him. 

Ya.  Seems typical.  NYR never going to win a Cup again.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I don't see Sanheim at more than $5.5-mil x 5-years.  He's not that franchise level D.  Hart, maybe PHI can get him signed to $7-mil x 6-years.  Then you've got Niskanen coming off the books.  They still trying to move Ghost.  And someone like Konecny have trade value if push comes to shove. 

I think they want Gaudreau and will make the necessary adjustments when the moment comes to sign him as UFA.  They just can't prepare 2 years out in case Gaudreau signs an extension or gets traded and signs in new location.  If Gaudreau gets traded to NJ, I think he will extend long term there.

NJ has so many holes, I don’t know if they can afford to give up what it takes to get Gaudreau.

Its a bad roster with a very meh farm system

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think 7 is too much. I see Hart more in the 4.75 to 5.5 range. He's still young so maybe they do a bridge. I don't see him up at 7 yet. Although, I know nothing, I just don't think that goalies have hit the market like that and I think Bobrovsky is a bit of a blip in the signing. I think they bridge him in this RFA and then go for the bigger contract before RFA is up. Binnington didn't get much in St. Louis and he was a big reason they won the cup. 

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Bennett has some tools like speed and grit but the smarts just aren't there.  I don't even know what he can become at this point... i mean beyond a 4th line energy guy.

One of the greatest transformational stories in the NHL was Daniel Cleary who got exceptional status to play in the CHL as a 15-year-old (i remember only the 4th player in CHL history at the time after the likes of Gretzky and Orr or something crazy).  He was so good at 15.  He was then drafted into the NHL 13th overall... and then nothing.  He was a complete bust for 6 or 7 years in the NHL and was a journeyman.  Finally, the Red Wings picked him up and Babcock gave him a role.  Clearly just focused on grinding and made a great career out of it.  Arguably one of the best grinders during his prime helping the Red Wings win a Cup.  Can this be Sam Bennett's story?  

I can't remember the circumstances, but Bennett wound up at center and playing quite a bit against McDavid/Draistl in a game this year and I walked away pretty impressed with his work. If i were the Flames i would move him back to center and turn him into a match-up player like Andrew Cogliano.  He's got so much speed and quickness that he can stick with these fast centers and because he also plays the game hard he can get in their face and try to get them off their game. As good as Backlund is in taking away space, Bennett could have the extra element of not just frustrating them but agitating them. 

I think it would also free him up from thinking the game so much offensively and let him get back to the basics. so not only do I think he has potential in this area I think the numbers could come too. 

27 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I can't remember the circumstances, but Bennett wound up at center and playing quite a bit against McDavid/Draistl in a game this year and I walked away pretty impressed with his work. If i were the Flames i would move him back to center and turn him into a match-up player like Andrew Cogliano.  He's got so much speed and quickness that he can stick with these fast centers and because he also plays the game hard he can get in their face and try to get them off their game. As good as Backlund is in taking away space, Bennett could have the extra element of not just frustrating them but agitating them. 

I think it would also free him up from thinking the game so much offensively and let him get back to the basics. so not only do I think he has potential in this area I think the numbers could come too. 

I seem to remember that game as well.

We've seen how Bennett raises his intensity in the playoffs.  He can rise to the occasions when needed and be hard to play against.

Which, the main guy blocking him on the depth chart his entire career has been Backlund.  Even now, if we find another top line Center, that bumps Backlund down to 3rd line C.  Bennett gets blocked again.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

https://eyesonisles.com/2020/06/18/islanders-johnny-gaudreau-trade-possibility-grows-taylor-hall-rumor/amp/

just to show that we aren’t the only ones thinking about it. I think the isles could be a good partner with the Flames too.

Maybe we can get Dobson... like we would have if not for the Hamonic deal.. lol

From NYI, I'd ask for Beauvillier and probably a 2021 1st. 

Only issue with NYI is, they have to pay Barzal, Pulock and Toews and probably a backup if Sorokin doesn't come over.

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think it's tough on the player to make that kind of change.  He knows he's better than what he's doing.

He made a determined effort to change his shot.

Now he can't even hit the net.

Brouwer wasn't a speadster but he wasn't slow.

Just not with the flow of the game.

I just don't see a fit with any player for some time.

With Backlund and Thachuk?  That improved his play, but no scoring surge.

With Janko?  Not much fit at all.  Janko looked better, but that was with a better 3rd player.

Lucic is about the only thing I think they can do.

Put him there to take draws.

He opens up the middle so Lucic and Dube can score.

I'm not even sure of that.

To me it comes down to what he does with his shifts in the playoffs.

If he comes away even, then so be it.

Not bad.

But no scoring by him and no other real impact, why are we paying that much for a role player.

I know I am being harsh.  Love the player, just not the results.

I'm getting fed up with the negative penalty differential with nothing else to show for a game.

Bennett's biggest issue is that stupidf fn mustache.. It looks stupid

.. he's a freggin kid.. nowhere near a veteran.. just be a good kid with a lot of youthful exuberance

2 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

Bennett's biggest issue is that stupidf fn mustache.. It looks stupid

.. he's a freggin kid.. nowhere near a veteran.. just be a good kid with a lot of youthful exuberance

Keep the stache and change his jersey to #9

36 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We've seen how Bennett raises his intensity in the playoffs.  He can rise to the occasions when needed and be hard to play against.

Which, the main guy blocking him on the depth chart his entire career has been Backlund.  Even now, if we find another top line Center, that bumps Backlund down to 3rd line C.  Bennett gets blocked again.

There are two more guys blocking him.

Ryan and Janko.

Play Janko with Lucic and Dube, leaving Bennett at C and Ryan on the 4th wing.  

He might actually get a pass now and again.

Let's face it, the 4th line is going to face the Jets top line in at least half the games.

Alternative would be Bennett with Lucic and Dube.

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Keep the stache and change his jersey to #9

lol

43 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

https://eyesonisles.com/2020/06/18/islanders-johnny-gaudreau-trade-possibility-grows-taylor-hall-rumor/amp/

just to show that we aren’t the only ones thinking about it. I think the isles could be a good partner with the Flames too.

This article wants to give us Scott Mayfield +picks for Gaudreau.

59 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't view it that way at all. 

Monahan 

Backlund

Bennett

Ryan

Janko is a non tender at this point and IMO not a future center, Ryan only has 1 more year on his deal and then Backlund is over the age of 30. i see center as wide open for the Flames even as they look to upgrade.  Why can't Bennett just pass Backlund? Why not have more competition?

I think the Flames could get a Kadri like career out of Bennett

39 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Maybe we can get Dobson... like we would have if not for the Hamonic deal.. lol

From NYI, I'd ask for Beauvillier and probably a 2021 1st. 

Only issue with NYI is, they have to pay Barzal, Pulock and Toews and probably a backup if Sorokin doesn't come over.

Or maybe we get Barzal...Iike we would have if not for Hamilton... 

There's really no one else there I'd be interested in other than Barzal.  At least, not for Gaudreau.  

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Do they have anything to similar to a Bennett + Jankowski return?

Just now, cross16 said:

I don't view it that way at all. 

Monahan 

Backlund

Bennett

Ryan

Janko is a non tender at this point and IMO not a future center, Ryan only has 1 more year on his deal and then Backlund is over the age of 30. i see center as wide open for the Flames even as they look to upgrade.  Why can't Bennett just pass Backlund? Why not have more competition?

I think the Flames could get a Kadri like career out of Bennett

I mean if we add one more top C.  Then logically Backlund plays 3rd line C.

Up to this point, Backlund has blocked Bennett from top 6 C.  Now would block him as a 3rd line C.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I mean if we add one more top C.  Then logically Backlund plays 3rd line C.

Up to this point, Backlund has blocked Bennett from top 6 C.  Now would block him as a 3rd line C.

I know what you mean, I still don't see it the same way. 

Center to me is all about matchups. LIne 1, line 2,3 4 is not relevant for me. What's their utilization and what's the matchup.

for example, Ryan has been more of a 3rd/4th line center but brought a lot of value. What if the Flames could create a situation where both Backlund and Bennett can matchup against anyone. Why not give that over to your coach and give him more options and imagine the opportunities it creates on the road. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Do they have anything to similar to a Bennett + Jankowski return?

I'm surprised they didn't suggest Eberle so we can reunite Hall with Eberle.

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I know what you mean, I still don't see it the same way. 

Center to me is all about matchups. LIne 1, line 2,3 4 is not relevant for me. What's their utilization and what's the matchup.

for example, Ryan has been more of a 3rd/4th line center but brought a lot of value. What if the Flames could create a situation where both Backlund and Bennett can matchup against anyone. Why not give that over to your coach and give him more options and imagine the opportunities it creates on the road. 

At some point, we'd like to see Bennett's progression cross over Backlund's regression and arrive at a seamless transition from one player to the next where Bennett assumes 2nd line C and Backlund draws in at 3rd line C.

That's assuming we don't add another scoring Center to the mix.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

At some point, we'd like to see Bennett's progression cross over Backlund's regression and arrive at a seamless transition from one player to the next where Bennett assumes 2nd line C and Backlund draws in at 3rd line C.

That's assuming we don't add another scoring Center to the mix.

Agreed, also why i don't mind the transition. I just don't see it being a situation where he is 'blocked" because there are ice time and match up opportunities for multiple centers. I think the Flames have suffered a bit in that Backlund is really the only center they have to use in defensive match-ups. Flexibility would create more opportunities IMO. 

You also have the benefit of centers always being more valuable that wingers. A side benefit to this to me is you are more likely to raise potential trade value rather than have him just another winger

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Agreed, also why i don't mind the transition. I just don't see it being a situation where he is 'blocked" because there are ice time and match up opportunities for multiple centers. I think the Flames have suffered a bit in that Backlund is really the only center they have to use in defensive match-ups. Flexibility would create more opportunities IMO. 

You also have the benefit of centers always being more valuable that wingers. A side benefit to this to me is you are more likely to raise potential trade value rather than have him just another winger

I view the "blocked" situation as the coach thinking that Bennett is not one of the centers available to use.

Shouldn't he be out there on the PK with another C like Lindholm or Ryan?

Janko has struggled in the D zone for some time, yet still takes PK draws and plays minutes.

Here's something weird about this season.

Janko had a 13.2 shooting percentage and scored 5 goals.

38 shots in 56 games.

His faceoff% was 44.71%, his worst in his career.

Yet he was the 4th most used center.

57 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Sorry, but I don't want any defenseman that ever played for NYI.

Two come to mind to me; Hamonic and Reinhart.

Mayfield played fro Bridgeport the same time as Reinhard, who outscored him by a wide margin.

That's warning signals right there.  🙂