Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

This article wants to give us Scott Mayfield +picks for Gaudreau.

 

 

 

 

I was just sharing to show there was interests or awareness in other locales. The trade is up to the GMs to decide and for us and writers to speculate about... Plus I wanted to say some hear rumours about Hall linked to Calgary as well. Regardless of how this season ends, I think we'll see some changes in the summer. I hope this Covid thing can move on and we can have our lives back... 

 

I liked your idea of shutting EVERYTHING in the world down for about 2 weeks, and I think 3-3.5 weeks would make it for sures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I was just sharing to show there was interests or awareness in other locales. The trade is up to the GMs to decide and for us and writers to speculate about... Plus I wanted to say some hear rumours about Hall linked to Calgary as well. Regardless of how this season ends, I think we'll see some changes in the summer. I hope this Covid thing can move on and we can have our lives back... 

 

Oh for sures. Don't get me wrong I wasn't trying to dismiss the entire article based on its silly proposal but agree it is interesting the league knows Hall is interested to play in Calgary.

 

Given that, it's logical to assume BT would sign Hall and trade Gaudreau to upgrade elsewhere.  Right?  30 other GMs in the league must automatically think so too.  I wonder if BT has received at least 15 calls on Gaudreau lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

I liked your idea of shutting EVERYTHING in the world down for about 2 weeks, and I think 3-3.5 weeks would make it for sures. 

 

Ironically, that's the same philosophy for a torched earth rebuild.  Just tank HARD mode.  Draft top 3 for 3 to 4 years in a row.  Come out of it looking good. 

 

For example, I really like what OTT is doing.  In comparison, BUF delayed their full rebuild for 2 years and repeatedly try to turn things around fast.  Same with the Flames.  We are neither here nor there.  Just a middle of the road team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Oh for sures. Don't get me wrong I wasn't trying to dismiss the entire article based on its silly proposal but agree it is interesting the league knows Hall is interested to play in Calgary.

 

Given that, it's logical to assume BT would sign Hall and trade Gaudreau to upgrade elsewhere.  Right?  30 other GMs in the league must automatically think so too.  I wonder if BT has received at least 15 calls on Gaudreau lately.

 

I think it's known, but also is so easy to connect the dots.

EDM fans seem to think he wants to play in EDM because McD.

 

There's no reason for teams to call about Gaudreau before the playoffs.

Their own players' value and his value are low right now.

The non-playoffs teams may be looking, but they have lotto balls to worry about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

 

Ironically, that's the same philosophy for a torched earth rebuild.  Just tank HARD mode.  Draft top 3 for 3 to 4 years in a row.  Come out of it looking good. 

 

For example, I really like what OTT is doing.  In comparison, BUF delayed their full rebuild for 2 years and repeatedly try to turn things around fast.  Same with the Flames.  We are neither here nor there.  Just a middle of the road team.

 

What's Ottawa doing that is good or better than what the Flames did? They lost the 4th overall pick last year in a stupid trade less than 3 years ago. So far from my count there are 2 teams that went scorched earth in recent memory and that's the Oilers and Leafs. Not sure that's a ringing endorsement for the philosophy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

https://eyesonisles.com/2020/06/18/islanders-johnny-gaudreau-trade-possibility-grows-taylor-hall-rumor/amp/

 

just to show that we aren’t the only ones thinking about it. I think the isles could be a good partner with the Flames too.

 

I don't suspect you will see Hall to Calgary rumors die down, if anything they'll pick up the longer he goes unsigned in Arizona (with recent rumors being he is not interested in an extension). The sign Hall and trade Gaudreau is a bit newer but given Gaudreau's season I also don't suspect this will quiet, especially given I think the talk about how he "doesn't want to sign in Calgary" will get louder not quieter. 

 

Unfortunately I don't see much on the Islanders that woud interest the Flames. I wouldn't do the deal unless Barzal or Pullock are in the deal (and Barzal isn't likely happening) or they think Beaullivier can play center at this level and he is in the deal. Outside of those assets you are into only futures and while i don't mind the idea of Dobson or Wahlstrom and picks its a little underwhelming at this point for Gaudreau. 

 

Edit: i would also add Ilya Sorokin to this list. if the Islanders are willing to include him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

I don't suspect you will see Hall to Calgary rumors die down, if anything they'll pick up the longer he goes unsigned in Arizona (with recent rumors being he is not interested in an extension). The sign Hall and trade Gaudreau is a bit newer but given Gaudreau's season I also don't suspect this will quiet, especially given I think the talk about how he "doesn't want to sign in Calgary" will get louder not quieter. 

 

Unfortunately I don't see much on the Islanders that woud interest the Flames. I wouldn't do the deal unless Barzal or Pullock are in the deal (and Barzal isn't likely happening) or they think Beaullivier can play center at this level and he is in the deal. Outside of those assets you are into only futures and while i don't mind the idea of Dobson or Wahlstrom and picks its a little underwhelming at this point for Gaudreau. 

 

Depends on what the playoffs hold for the Flames and especially Gaudreau.

If he doesn't do well overall, then the GM will likely be making calls himself.

But the smart thing is to quietly let every GM know the sale is on of select players.

To me it doesn't hinge on being able to sign Hall.

 

Whatever the offers are, it has to include something that replaces talent walking out the door.

I suggest Hischier as a piece, but that really just the talent level I would hope for.

If the player isn't in the NHL or AHL and doing well, then it's a big risk.

Underwhelming NHL results is fine if the circumstances show it's a good reason for it.

Any pick less than top 5 this year should not be entertained, unless the scouts feel there is a top 3 potential.

 

Let's face it, we are giving up on 70-100 points plus the downgrade to Monahan and Lindholm by trading him.

If we don't recoup that, we stand to be a Minny team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Ironically, that's the same philosophy for a torched earth rebuild.  Just tank HARD mode.  Draft top 3 for 3 to 4 years in a row.  Come out of it looking good. 

 

For example, I really like what OTT is doing.  In comparison, BUF delayed their full rebuild for 2 years and repeatedly try to turn things around fast.  Same with the Flames.  We are neither here nor there.  Just a middle of the road team.

Ottawa is in a way just lucky in theirs, they made a dumb move for Duchene that didn't work but lucked out that San Jose completely fell apart.  They are heading into a good spot this draft, but we need to see how they handle this.  We had 3 firsts in what was thought to be a deep draft.

 

The problem with Buffalo is that if they don't have a slam-dunk decision (Eichel, Reinhart, and Dahlin) they screw it up, only a couple good draft picks, have next to nothing to show for trades like Vanek, Kane, Miller, Myers etc. terrible contracts and everything.  Its just sad to think about what those poor people have had to deal with over the last 30 years with the Super Bowls and Brett Hull.  Fans at Bills games tailgating do a thing were they jump off a van onto a plastic folding table, I think its all so they can injure themselves and avoid attending a Buffalo sporting event.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Depends on what the playoffs hold for the Flames and especially Gaudreau.

If he doesn't do well overall, then the GM will likely be making calls himself.

But the smart thing is to quietly let every GM know the sale is on of select players.

To me it doesn't hinge on being able to sign Hall.

 

 

 

I'm beginning to think the playoffs won't actually mater. The buzz around the idea that Gaudreau does not want to be here long term is getting louder and louder. 

 

I'm actually to the point now that I think these rumors around Hall to Calgary are being initiated by the Flames and not Hall as I would have originally thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm actually to the point now that I think these rumors around Hall to Calgary are being initiated by the Flames and not Hall as I would have originally thought. 

 

Could be both.  Hall wants to test UFA or extort max money from Arizona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

 

I'm beginning to think the playoffs won't actually mater. The buzz around the idea that Gaudreau does not want to be here long term is getting louder and louder. 

 

I'm actually to the point now that I think these rumors around Hall to Calgary are being initiated by the Flames and not Hall as I would have originally thought. 

 

My line of thinking is that results matter to Gaudreau over location.

IF they take a step this year, then he wants to take a bigger one next year.

All I have ever heard about him was that he wants to win and make himself better.

With that, I have a hard time buying into him being upset living in Calgary.

Maybe now, but not if things improve.

 

That's why I have a hard time believing that he won't re-sign in CGY.

He doesn't want to be traded to the highest bidder.

He might get to the point where he gives the GM a team that he would like to play for and asks him for the trade.

Anything else is just a different city with a possibly much worse team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

So awesome if Pietrangelo was also from Calgary and wants to play at home.

 

I hope that Pietrangelo doesn't care what city he plays in.

He should look at opportunity and results.

There's still a slim chance he signs with STL, but I'm starting to believe that door is shut.

Obviously he would be my first choice to improve the team.

Throw money at him.

Fix the rest of the roster as opportunity allows.

Really we don't have a bad bottom 6, just need to weed out the guys that can't keep the puck out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

 

My line of thinking is that results matter to Gaudreau over location.

IF they take a step this year, then he wants to take a bigger one next year.

All I have ever heard about him was that he wants to win and make himself better.

With that, I have a hard time buying into him being upset living in Calgary.

Maybe now, but not if things improve.

 

That's why I have a hard time believing that he won't re-sign in CGY.

He doesn't want to be traded to the highest bidder.

He might get to the point where he gives the GM a team that he would like to play for and asks him for the trade.

Anything else is just a different city with a possibly much worse team.

 

 

I think it's all about his dad is sick or something back home (in NJ).  Gaudreau would like to play closer to home... and then his Philly connection.

 

This is sort of what brought Hamonic to Calgary (it was either Calgary or Winnipeg for him).  Brodie also took less money last time because his wife was in treatments at Foothills hospital or something to that effect.

 

Anyways, if Gaudreau wants to play closer to home, i hope we either win the Cup this year or we trade him so he's not a distraction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Could be both.  Hall wants to test UFA or extort max money from Arizona.

 

could be, but the interst predates him going to Arizona. There is/was speculation the Flames made the better offer to NJ

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

My line of thinking is that results matter to Gaudreau over location.

IF they take a step this year, then he wants to take a bigger one next year.

All I have ever heard about him was that he wants to win and make himself better.

With that, I have a hard time buying into him being upset living in Calgary.

Maybe now, but not if things improve.

 

That's why I have a hard time believing that he won't re-sign in CGY.

He doesn't want to be traded to the highest bidder.

He might get to the point where he gives the GM a team that he would like to play for and asks him for the trade.

Anything else is just a different city with a possibly much worse team.

 

 

This could all be true, I'm not sure either way myself as I don't have insight. 

 

all i'm saying is there are people closer to the situation than I suggesting they think he is gone no matter what, that's all i'm passing on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I hope that Pietrangelo doesn't care what city he plays in.

He should look at opportunity and results.

There's still a slim chance he signs with STL, but I'm starting to believe that door is shut.

Obviously he would be my first choice to improve the team.

Throw money at him.

Fix the rest of the roster as opportunity allows.

Really we don't have a bad bottom 6, just need to weed out the guys that can't keep the puck out.

 

He won the Cup already as a captain.  There's really nothing left to prove.  If he wants to play in Toronto closer to home, then he'll do that.  If the Leafs had him, the Leafs instantly becomes a legit contender.  Any team that signs Pietrangelo will improve their Cup chances significantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

could be, but the interst predates him going to Arizona. There is/was speculation the Flames made the better offer to NJ

 

If Hall would come here for a hometown discount, then i think we have to consider it.

 

I also think Gaudreau can get a haul for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The_People1 said:

 

If Hall would come here for a hometown discount, then i think we have to consider it.

 

I also think Gaudreau can get a haul for us.

 

Agreed 100%. There are ifs there but it makes sense why this is out there.

 

If you remove the emotion it's without a doubt the right call. Actually a pretty easy decision I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

 

I think it's all about his dad is sick or something back home (in NJ).  Gaudreau would like to play closer to home... and then his Philly connection.

 

This is sort of what brought Hamonic to Calgary (it was either Calgary or Winnipeg for him).  Brodie also took less money last time because his wife was in treatments at Foothills hospital or something to that effect.

 

Anyways, if Gaudreau wants to play closer to home, i hope we either win the Cup this year or we trade him so he's not a distraction.

 

Yes, I know about that connection.

And there may be something to it.

My thinking is that his dad fully recovered and has family in the area.

He would worry about him no doubt.

But his dad would also tell him that playing his best is the only thing he should think about.

That and being a good person.

 

The rumors also say that he owns a home back in the East.

Don't know if I believe that or not.

 

I don't begin to know what goes on in a young person's head.

Monahan and brother Matty might be the only people that truly know.

He could meet a young girl in Calgary for all we know.

The all bets are off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

If Hall would come here for a hometown discount, then i think we have to consider it.

 

I also think Gaudreau can get a haul for us.

 

Hall and Gaudreau on the same team would be electric though.

2 stars that can get behind the D.

I get the argument about fit, but I also think there is a lineup that works with both of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cross16 said:

 

Agreed 100%. There are ifs there but it makes sense why this is out there.

 

If you remove the emotion it's without a doubt the right call. Actually a pretty easy decision I think. 

 

Ya cause BT played hardball with Gaudreau last time during contract negotiations and i think Gaudreau hasn't forgotten.  Once he goes UFA, he's asking $10-mil and up.  No discounts.  Don't even think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are your thoughts on signing Holtby this summer.

I looked at this tear's results and was not impresed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He could meet a young girl in Calgary for all we know.

 

Ya that's the other thing.  He probably already has one back home as long as he goes back home soon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we have to choose between Hall or Pietrangelo, I would go with Hall. I get that Pietrangelo would help us a lot right now, but I think his contract is going to look really bad in a few years.

 

I think Hall will be cheaper. I also think that Pietrangelo is going start regressing hard on the back half of his new deal.

 

I really like him as a player I just don't think he will be a good long term investment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...