The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Yes, I know about that connection.

And there may be something to it.

My thinking is that his dad fully recovered and has family in the area.

He would worry about him no doubt.

But his dad would also tell him that playing his best is the only thing he should think about.

That and being a good person.

The rumors also say that he owns a home back in the East.

Don't know if I believe that or not.

I don't begin to know what goes on in a young person's head.

Monahan and brother Matty might be the only people that truly know.

He could meet a young girl in Calgary for all we know.

The all bets are off.

He does have a home back east, FlamesTV did a tour of it last off-season.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Hall and Gaudreau on the same team would be electric though.

2 stars that can get behind the D.

I get the argument about fit, but I also think there is a lineup that works with both of them.

You mean on the same line?

Hall played some Center in NJ i believe but both Gaudreau and Hall like the puck on their sticks.  They want to carry the puck.  Neither is really a shooter.  It may not work that well in reality.

Same team... but we already have Tkachuk LW on the other line.  Where would Hall fit in all of this?  Too many LW... someone has to move to their weak side.  Would we sign Hall to $8-mil-per and then play him on his weak side?  That sounds like we're forcing the issue.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya cause BT played hardball with Gaudreau last time during contract negotiations and i think Gaudreau hasn't forgotten.  Once he goes UFA, he's asking $10-mil and up.  No discounts.  Don't even think about it.

That could be a big part of this. If Gaudreau does want to re-sign I think he will be more expensive than Hall. I think Hall can be signed for $8m-9.5m. I am not sure you are getting Gaudreau at that price.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If we have to choose between Hall or Pietrangelo, I would go with Hall. I get that Pietrangelo would help us a lot right now, but I think his contract is going to look really bad in a few years.

I think Hall will be cheaper. I also think that Pietrangelo is going start regressing hard on the back half of his new deal.

I really like him as a player I just don't think he will be a good long term investment.

Pietrangelo is essentially 2-years older than Hall so, ya okay.  But that said, good D usually are productive well into their late 30s.  Pietrangelo is 30/31.  A 7-year-deal takes him to 37/38.  That final 2 years could be a problem if he comes in at $10-mil-per.

But Hall, 28/29... statistically speaking, forwards peak at 27 and begin their decline.  Hall has also played lots of games with lots of injuries.  He's probably a 70-point player the rest of the way... maybe he will come here on a hometown discount of $8-mil-per?

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

He does have a home back east, FlamesTV did a tour of it last off-season.

Yes, looks nice.  I wouldn't put him having an offseason house back home as a reason he's going to sign there.  Most players buy homes elsewhere, even many non-Flames have had offseason homes in Calgary.  Nothing wrong with spending offseasons in his home town and he's rich so why be with mom and dad

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

That could be a big part of this. If Gaudreau does want to re-sign I think he will be more expensive than Hall. I think Hall can be signed for $8m-9.5m. I am not sure you are getting Gaudreau at that price.

Ya that's something to consider as well.  Not only is he rumoured to want to play back East, he is almost certainly not going to do BT any favours after BT kept pushing the Giordano-cap on him.  He's gone unless BT offers $11-mil X 8-years, in which case, that would probably be a mistake for BT to make.

I had heard from someone who claims to know someone who knows someone close to many players, that he was really upset with his last contract, he basically caved because he wanted to play.  That was shortly after he signed and I don't really talk to that person too much anymore, so I don't know if any fences were mended between him and the organization.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

You mean on the same line?

Hall played some Center in NJ i believe but both Gaudreau and Hall like the puck on their sticks.  They want to carry the puck.  Neither is really a shooter.  It may not work that well in reality.

Same team... but we already have Tkachuk LW on the other line.  Where would Hall fit in all of this?  Too many LW... someone has to move to their weak side.  Would we sign Hall to $8-mil-per and then play him on his weak side?  That sounds like we're forcing the issue.

No, not on the same line.

Tkachuk could play on the top line with Gaudreau.

Hall with Backlund and Mangiapane.

Remember that Tkachuk doesn;t necessarily play LW now.

The lineup chart shows him on RW and he does play a lot in that spot.

It makes sense because he engages the other team's best LW'er.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya that's something to consider as well.  Not only is he rumoured to want to play back East, he is almost certainly not going to do BT any favours after BT kept pushing the Giordano-cap on him.  He's gone unless BT offers $11-mil X 8-years, in which case, that would probably be a mistake for BT to make.

Regardless of what he signed for, Tkachuk signed for more for a "take you to RFA with rghts" deal.

That expres the same time.

Both players know they will get big raises by then.

It's not going to be a question of a hometown discount as uch as cap space for both.

The thing to remember about the player is not what he is worth to the team now, it's the playoffs this year, next year and after that.

You sell this summer and you are at a low point for value.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Regardless of what he signed for, Tkachuk signed for more for a "take you to RFA with rghts" deal.

That expres the same time.

Both players know they will get big raises by then.

It's not going to be a question of a hometown discount as uch as cap space for both.

The thing to remember about the player is not what he is worth to the team now, it's the playoffs this year, next year and after that.

You sell this summer and you are at a low point for value.

But what if he does even worse next year?  Let's just trade him now because 2-years of cap friendly contract is worth a lot.

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Pietrangelo is essentially 2-years older than Hall so, ya okay.  But that said, good D usually are productive well into their late 30s.  Pietrangelo is 30/31.  A 7-year-deal takes him to 37/38.  That final 2 years could be a problem if he comes in at $10-mil-per.

But Hall, 28/29... statistically speaking, forwards peak at 27 and begin their decline.  Hall has also played lots of games with lots of injuries.  He's probably a 70-point player the rest of the way... maybe he will come here on a hometown discount of $8-mil-per?

I think $10m would be the low end of what he gets. Look at the Karlsson deal for the framework of what Pietrangelo will get.

I think $10m would be the low end of what he gets. Look at the Karlsson deal for the framework of what Pietrangelo will get.

Erik Karlsson has 2 Norris trophies though.  Pietrangelo... has he ever even been nominated?

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Erik Karlsson has 2 Norris trophies though.  Pietrangelo... has he ever even been nominated?

He will be in running this year. He also captained his team to a Cup, the Blues will be among the favorites to win it again if we get playoffs this year.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I'm beginning to think the playoffs won't actually mater. The buzz around the idea that Gaudreau does not want to be here long term is getting louder and louder. 

I'm actually to the point now that I think these rumors around Hall to Calgary are being initiated by the Flames and not Hall as I would have originally thought. 

Wouldn't that be tampering? If it were the Flames and they were caught, they'd probably lose some draft picks and get fined for doing it. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Yes, I know about that connection.

And there may be something to it.

My thinking is that his dad fully recovered and has family in the area.

He would worry about him no doubt.

But his dad would also tell him that playing his best is the only thing he should think about.

That and being a good person.

The rumors also say that he owns a home back in the East.

Don't know if I believe that or not.

I don't begin to know what goes on in a young person's head.

Monahan and brother Matty might be the only people that truly know.

He could meet a young girl in Calgary for all we know.

The all bets are off.

I get that owning a home can create a question mark, but if I had the money that Gaudreau now has, I'd own a home back home too. But I'd still be living away from there. But for me, it's not too big a deal. Maybe it's for him to stay at when he goes home to visit. It's usually a good investment too. 

It would be great if we could have both Hall and Gaudreau. That would fill out the Top6 very nicely!

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

One thing that's worrisome about that kind of money for me is what happened to Subban. 9M guy and now plays more like a 5M... Is Pietrangelo worth the 10 for sure? I still wanna reserve that kind of money for the Crosby's and McD's of the world. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

What are your thoughts on signing Holtby this summer.

I looked at this tear's results and was not impresed.

I know you aren't a Sigalet, guy but Holtby is coming off a bad season, not unlike Talbot was. I think he could look at the Flames and see what Talbot did here, and try to do the same and rekindle his value. He's an Albertchewan after all. 

I would pick Pietrangelo myself, but I think the Flames would rather chase Hall. My reason being, Pietro is a winner, coveted RHD, imo better than Karlsson or Doughty and extremely durable. Hall misses 1/4 of the season evert year.

I can see the reasoning for chasing Hall though, you in effect replace Gaudreau, giving you two elite top 6 LW , and end up with a pile of assets from a Gaudreau trade. 

I just wonder what Hall's ask would be, 9? 8? I just think he's tired of being on a lotto team.

Most will disagree with me but I would trade JH to NJ for Palmerri and what ever the best pieces we can get added to get a top line RWer.

We then sign Hall to replace Johnny and play Lindholm with Chucky.and Baclund.

I think this would give us the best looking top 6 we could hope for.

Resign Hamonic and Gustufson to play on the third, with Valamiki back next year the roster is looking fairly good.

Just my thoughts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

I’m posting this link just for the purpose of sharing outside perspectives on what it would take to acquire Gaudreau from us. (Perceived value)

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Help-me-pick-the-best-offer-for-Gaudreau--Fris-Buzz-with-Kevin-Allen/1/106095

Lol traveldude made it on the list... Nice.

None of the offers are serious.  

3 hours ago, FlameFan4Life said:

Most will disagree with me but I would trade JH to NJ for Palmerri and what ever the best pieces we can get added to get a top line RWer.

We then sign Hall to replace Johnny and play Lindholm with Chucky.and Baclund.

I think this would give us the best looking top 6 we could hope for.

Resign Hamonic and Gustufson to play on the third, with Valamiki back next year the roster is looking fairly good.

Just my thoughts. 

Essentially your theory in this trade suggestion was the reasoning behind the Hall deal out of Edmonton. Larson is a good player but at the time maybe not fully what they should’ve gotten for Hall. They claimed the cap and change was worth it.

i think I get what you’re getting at. Plus I think the Flames could be competitive if they sign Hall and trade Johnny.

id like to see if Hall would take a hometown discount. Go a two year deal at 7-7.5 per. Maybe you go 7.5x7? You can argue he needs to be healthy anyway. Then go all in in the next two seasons with Gaudreau. Maybe you give Hall a Tkachuk contract.

maybe you have enough for Pietrangelo. 

5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I know you aren't a Sigalet, guy but Holtby is coming off a bad season, not unlike Talbot was. I think he could look at the Flames and see what Talbot did here, and try to do the same and rekindle his value. He's an Albertchewan after all. 

Good one.

32 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

id like to see if Hall would take a hometown discount. Go a two year deal at 7-7.5 per. Maybe you go 7.5x7? You can argue he needs to be healthy anyway. Then go all in in the next two seasons with Gaudreau. Maybe you give Hall a Tkachuk contract.

He certainly didn't earn a big raise did he.

All kidding aside, we could probably get away with less than some teams would offer.

If you go short term it might cost more, but who knows.

But you can't have any plan of trading Gaudreau to do that.

I don't know if he cares about the person, but he would want a super competetive team to play with.

7's are a tad low coming off a 6m deal.

Lots of guys making more and doing less.

I'm sure that the GM knows now what JH thinks.

He will revisit after the season.

He won't be pulling the trigger if the game was there and the player wants in.

Boy that sounded dumb.

Our defense sucks and we are worried about trading Gaudreau.

If we simply let all UFA's walk and sign Kylington, we are not really worse off.

No offense to Brodie, but I think he's due for a bad season.

This summer is going to be really hard on him with his wife possibly (likely) not able to be with him.

We need to start the team from the goal line out.

Rittich will show what he is this summer.

We need D-men in a bad way.

I'd be ok with Pietrangelo as the only new guy.

Gio, Pietrangelo, Ras, Hanifin, Kylington, Poolman, Mackey/Yeleson.

Pick the best 7.

Pick your best pairs.

That's no bad, in fact better than a lot of teams. 

Clean up the defense and we are icing a champion.