Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

 

K ya, i'm not 100% sure but i remember that's how it was explained to me.  LTIR counts towards Day 1 cap compliance.  Then you can immediately tuck them away and use that cap for another player.  But nonetheless, i'm sure the Leafs can go LTIR hunting after Day 1.  Something like, take on Ferland's remaining 3-years and then trade 3rd round pick for Brock Boeser.

 

Can LTIR be used in the off-season?

Yes, LTIR can be used in the off-season while the 10% off-season cushion is active. LTIR in the off-season is calculated using the basic equation outlined above, which permits a team to exceed the off-season salary cap. To use off-season LTIR the team must provide doctors proof that the player in question will continue to be injured at the beginning of the regular season for 10 NHL games and 24 calendar days.

At the start of the season the teams LTIR relief & ACSL is recalculated when the 10% cushion is removed.

 

There are a couple of teams that have usable LTIR's that may be available.

ARI has Hossa, but they are in a pickle without it.

DET has Zetterberg, and may be one of the few teams to want to take salary to get to the floor.

OTT has Gaboric.

 

You ain't getting LTIR for pennies.

The price to get it may be in excess of what they would get iif they just traded Kapanen or Kerfoot or something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Can LTIR be used in the off-season?

Yes, LTIR can be used in the off-season while the 10% off-season cushion is active. LTIR in the off-season is calculated using the basic equation outlined above, which permits a team to exceed the off-season salary cap. To use off-season LTIR the team must provide doctors proof that the player in question will continue to be injured at the beginning of the regular season for 10 NHL games and 24 calendar days.

At the start of the season the teams LTIR relief & ACSL is recalculated when the 10% cushion is removed.

 

There are a couple of teams that have usable LTIR's that may be available.

ARI has Hossa, but they are in a pickle without it.

DET has Zetterberg, and may be one of the few teams to want to take salary to get to the floor.

OTT has Gaboric.

 

You ain't getting LTIR for pennies.

The price to get it may be in excess of what they would get iif they just traded Kapanen or Kerfoot or something else.


 

where were the leafs when we had a few we wanted to rid a few years back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we have any interest in Jake Virtanen?  He's going RFA and it seems the Canucks are tight on cap and are considering trading RW Boeser to re-sign RW Toffoli.  Loui Eriksson is also RW and Brandon Sutter plays some RW from time to time.  That all pushes RW Virtanen down their depth charts BUT he posted 69GP 18G 18A for 36PT last season.  It's a great turn around for a player who struggled with consistency his entire career and last season he was hitting all year long.  I think his game is coming around and could slot in on our 3rd line RW perfectly.  We don't have that 3rd line RW and have had to use some combination of Bennett, Rieder, Rinaldo, Dube etc.

 

Also, while i didn't want to pay Hathaway $1.5-mil x 4-years, i have no problems paying Virtanen something like $2-mil x 4-years considering Hathaway lacks dynamics and is strictly 4th line material.  Virtanen has better finish and better scoring resume in Juniors to bolster his case.  We are a team that needs his hitting.  We lack that element.

 

I don't know if they'll take Kylington and/or Jankowski (I believe he was a Wisebrod pick).  I'm sure they'll ask for Dube but that's too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Do we have any interest in Jake Virtanen?  He's going RFA and it seems the Canucks are tight on cap and are considering trading RW Boeser to re-sign RW Toffoli.  Loui Eriksson is also RW and Brandon Sutter plays some RW from time to time.  That all pushes RW Virtanen down their depth charts BUT he posted 69GP 18G 18A for 36PT last season.  It's a great turn around for a player who struggled with consistency his entire career and last season he was hitting all year long.  I think his game is coming around and could slot in on our 3rd line RW perfectly.  We don't have that 3rd line RW and have had to use some combination of Bennett, Rieder, Rinaldo, Dube etc.

 

Also, while i didn't want to pay Hathaway $1.5-mil x 4-years, i have no problems paying Virtanen something like $2-mil x 4-years considering Hathaway lacks dynamics and is strictly 4th line material.  Virtanen has better finish and better scoring resume in Juniors to bolster his case.  We are a team that needs his hitting.  We lack that element.

 

I don't know if they'll take Kylington and/or Jankowski (I believe he was a Wisebrod pick).  I'm sure they'll ask for Dube but that's too much.


 

I think Virtanen could be the reason Boesser is available. He’s a cheaper player and he’s somewhat redeemed himself. I think he was a buy low candidate last year or the year before. Although he has a lot to prove, if he can be consistent, he seems to have figured it out. I think he was a player that thought it was going to be handed to him but took a few years to realize he needed to change and do more and assert himself to get better in other parts of the game and be in shape.


as much as it could be a good fit, I think the ship has sailed. I think even Eriksson had a bit of a turnaround this year. 
 

if theFlames could pull it off I think it could be a good try. But I also think they’d ask for more than a Kylington or Jankowski.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don’t need to be cap compliant day 1 to use LTIR, LTIR can make you cap compliant day 1. Both options are available and that’s why it gets confusing. It comes down to future flexibility. If you wait to use LTIR you can increase your future cap space where if you need LTIR to get cap compliant your cap space is locked in for the whole year and does not accrue like other teams. That’s why even though it sounds like cap manipulation there is a downside. 
 

the leafs hunting for LTIR contracts would allow them to then again exceed the salary cap. That being said with only 5 mill in space and a few needs to fill they would need to find some really expensive LTIR contracts out there and I’m not sure where they are going to find them to be able to pull off that strategy, nor would it help them with being able to bring in a top 4 dman. They’ll have to shed some money as well I think, somewhere in the 3-4 mill range. I hope the flames are still making calls on Kapanen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Virtanen isn’t a difficult deal to make. He’s essentially a reverse-Bennett. Both players have largely failed to play to their draft status. Both players have a career high of 36pts, issue being Virtanen did it this year and Bennett did it in 15/16.

 

In theory Bennett for Virtanen should be fair, but VAN won’t do it because I’m sure they think this is only the beginning of Virtanen’s breakout 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I have been tinkering around with the idea of trading for Tarasenko and signing Hall and staying cap compliant.

 

To do that Gaudreau would have to be traded and we would have to take back very little cap wise.

 

One team that has the assets for a Gaudreau trade and has the cap space is Colorado. 

 

As far as assets go, they have Tyson Jost who has been rumored to be not happy in Colorado. He still has 2nd line center upside IMO. They also have tons of prospects. Shane Bowers, Alex Newhook, Martin Kaut, Connor Timmins and Bowen Byram are all high end prospects. Newhook and Byram would great to add but I doubt Colorado would be very willing to move him. I am also a big Timmins fan, he is a RHS D that is a really solid all around defenseman who has solid size.

 

If we can get Jost and one of Newhook or Byram I would be thrilled, though Jost and Timmins would be a solid start to build on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

COL is a good fit. 

 

It has to be one of Byram, Newhook or Timmins coming to Calgary as well as a 1st round pick. Then I'd ask for Jost or Compher.

 

That gives you a one of their top prospects, a 1st and at worst a middle 6 forward. Could be more involved in this deal too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see COL as a good trade partner considering both teams want to be contenders in the immediate term.  We clashed once before and could likely face each other again in the future.

 

Do we really want to face,

 

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen

Gaudreau - Kadri - X

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't see COL as a good trade partner considering both teams want to be contenders in the immediate term.  We clashed once before and could likely face each other again in the future.

 

Do we really want to face,

 

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen

Gaudreau - Kadri - X

 

The chances of playing Colorado in the playoffs are relatively slim. It’s either a WC matchup like last season or it’s the conference final. It’s not like Edmonton or Vancouver where you play them 5-12 times in a season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The chances of playing Colorado in the playoffs are relatively slim. It’s either a WC matchup like last season or it’s the conference final. It’s not like Edmonton or Vancouver where you play them 5-12 times in a season

 

I know but still.  We could be first round opponents again like last time.  For discussion purposes though, it would be crazy if we can add Byram for Gaudreau.  Probably not going to happen.  Timmins is more likely but he's RHS RD and that usually costs more.  He checks a lot of boxes for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

 

I know but still.  We could be first round opponents again like last time.  For discussion purposes though, it would be crazy if we can add Byram for Gaudreau.  Probably not going to happen.  Timmins is more likely but he's RHS RD and that usually costs more.  He checks a lot of boxes for us.

I get where you’re coming from and all things being equal they’d likely prefer to send him out East. It would just be really hard to turn down an offer from COL if they include one of their top 3 prospects. Maybe you get more too because any 1st they give you will be a late one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

So I have been tinkering around with the idea of trading for Tarasenko and signing Hall and staying cap compliant.

 

To do that Gaudreau would have to be traded and we would have to take back very little cap wise.

 

One team that has the assets for a Gaudreau trade and has the cap space is Colorado. 

 

As far as assets go, they have Tyson Jost who has been rumored to be not happy in Colorado. He still has 2nd line center upside IMO. They also have tons of prospects. Shane Bowers, Alex Newhook, Martin Kaut, Connor Timmins and Bowen Byram are all high end prospects. Newhook and Byram would great to add but I doubt Colorado would be very willing to move him. I am also a big Timmins fan, he is a RHS D that is a really solid all around defenseman who has solid size.

 

If we can get Jost and one of Newhook or Byram I would be thrilled, though Jost and Timmins would be a solid start to build on.

 

So, what trade are you suggesting to get Tank?

We won't have Gaudreau.

 

If we picked up Tank, I would not be interested in Hall as much as Pietrangelo.

Sure, if he has no interest in CGY.

Pietrangelo, Gio, Ras would give us three a very good top D and we could even lose Hanifin and I wouldn't be too upset.

Tank solves the top 6 RW, just need to fill the LW spot.

Would Mangiapane be able to fit in Johnny's spot?

I don't see why not.

He has the tools to do things that Johnny can't plus he's no defensive slouch either.

I might even consider moving Backlund down to a new line with Lucic and someone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

So, what trade are you suggesting to get Tank?

We won't have Gaudreau.

 

If we picked up Tank, I would not be interested in Hall as much as Pietrangelo.

Sure, if he has no interest in CGY.

Pietrangelo, Gio, Ras would give us three a very good top D and we could even lose Hanifin and I wouldn't be too upset.

Tank solves the top 6 RW, just need to fill the LW spot.

Would Mangiapane be able to fit in Johnny's spot?

I don't see why not.

He has the tools to do things that Johnny can't plus he's no defensive slouch either.

I might even consider moving Backlund down to a new line with Lucic and someone.

 

 The idea behind St. Louis trading Tarasenko is to free up cap space to re-sign their captain, Pietrangelo. So in my scenario Pietrangelo isn't available.

 

I think one of Mangiapane, Dube and Pelletier plus Kylington probably have to add a 1st or a 2nd for Tarasenko.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2020 at 12:17 AM, robrob74 said:


 

I hear you!

 

i really can’t wait until the 4th line can be a true 4th. That one really makes sense. No more overpriced players on the 4th.  BT biggest flaw has been guys having to be buried throughout the lineup. That’s another discussion, but let’s get over the Lucic deal and start maintaining true balance throughout the lineup.

 

i like the idea of a relentless 4th. 

Reider/Dube/ Rinaldo  would be about the most tenacious line you can get with the current lineup.  Plus I think Rieder has the speed to be an effective shadow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Reider/Dube/ Rinaldo  would be about the most tenacious line you can get with the current lineup.  Plus I think Rieder has the speed to be an effective shadow.

 

I still prefer gritty sandpaper on the 4th line.  And even throw in an enforcer on there for good measure.  Really miss 4th liners like Lowry, Clark, Jackman, McGrattan, Hathaway,... I really don't like the Stajan and Ryan types.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the organization has soured on Kylington. It's unfortunate because I think the difference between him and Hanifin isn't that big.

 

If they trade him though, they won't get much I don't think, Mason Appleton from WPG or Josh Ho-Sang come to mind. Kylington is waiver eligible so you'd probably be swapping him for another waiver eligible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know most have soured on his trade value anyway but this is getting very sad. I hope he can get his life back on track at some point. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I know most have soured on his trade value anyway but this is getting very sad. I hope he can get his life back on track at some point. 

 

 

 

Kylington for Patrick.  Let's do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think the organization has soured on Kylington. It's unfortunate because I think the difference between him and Hanifin isn't that big.

 

If they trade him though, they won't get much I don't think, Mason Appleton from WPG or Josh Ho-Sang come to mind. Kylington is waiver eligible so you'd probably be swapping him for another waiver eligible

 

We lack a good 3rd pairing RD.

Maybe that's where they should be using him.

I haven't seen him play there so I can't comment, but I can't see him being worse than Stone.

If we don't keep Brodie or don't sign Pietrangelo, then we have 2 holes on RD.

Yelesin would be exempt, so he can stay down until he's ready, if ever.

Mackey and Valimaki could spell the end of Hanifin, if they are as good as we hope.

Someone might overpay for Kylington, but I doubt we get a 2nd or even a good forward in return.

Might as well keep him, especially if we are getting a different coach.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The_People1 said:

 

Kylington for Patrick.  Let's do it.

 

That's about the best you could get.

High risk for moderate NHL skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are we getting a different coach?? it's been very quiet these past 4 months on the coaching front

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

are we getting a different coach?? it's been very quiet these past 4 months on the coaching front

 

We are starting next season with a new coach or new players or both.

It's quiet because the evaluation is still happening.

Maybe some teams can make that call now, but you probably want to see who is available after the playoffs.

I would be surprised if there weren't 3 fired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

which three?? i;m not a huge fan of the current Cakgary regime.. Our players from the farm and europe seem to develop in spite of the coaching rather than because of it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

which three?? i;m not a huge fan of the current Cakgary regime.. Our players from the farm and europe seem to develop in spite of the coaching rather than because of it

 

 

Just a guess at the number, because the results ater the playoffs usually has a team that didn't live up to the hype.

If one of the top teams falls in the first round, the spotlight will be on that team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...