The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Just as an aside and probably not relevant on this thread.  If Montreal were to trade Subban, what would Subban do with his $10 mil, 7 year commitment to donate to the Montreal hospital.  That could get messy.

Perhaps with all of this negative publicity, Wideman may prefer a change of scenery for himself - and have less of a problem waiving his no movement clause... And, perhaps there are some GMs out there that now think they have an opportunity to low-ball Calgary on a trade offer because his perceived value has plummeted. Here's hoping... not because I dislike the player - this is strictly a cap-hit related post.

Anyone think Florida might be interested with Willie Mitchell currently on IR and UFA at the end of this year?

Perhaps with all of this negative publicity, Wideman may prefer a change of scenery for himself - and have less of a problem waiving his no movement clause... And, perhaps there are some GMs out there that now think they have an opportunity to low-ball Calgary on a trade offer because his perceived value has plummeted. Here's hoping... not because I dislike the player - this is strictly a cap-hit related post.

Anyone think Florida might be interested with Willie Mitchell currently on IR and UFA at the end of this year?

I don't think Wideman waiving his NMC was going to be an issue nor was "low balling". The problem is Wideman really isn't worth much to begin with so i'm not so sure his trade value is plumeting when it was already very low. I'm pretty convinced the only way you can even think of moving Wideman is if you are prepared to eat salary and accept very little in return or take on another bad deal. 

Dale Tallon traded Wideman out of Florida, so i can't see him wanting to re acquire him. I could see Florida having intrest in Russell, but not Wideman. 

I wonder what it would cost to sign one of Goligoski, Demers or Gunnarsson this summer.

I think any of those guys could come in and play top 4 next year and be an upgrade over Russell, just depends on the cost.

I don't think Wideman waiving his NMC was going to be an issue nor was "low balling". The problem is Wideman really isn't worth much to begin with so i'm not so sure his trade value is plumeting when it was already very low. I'm pretty convinced the only way you can even think of moving Wideman is if you are prepared to eat salary and accept very little in return or take on another bad deal. 

Dale Tallon traded Wideman out of Florida, so i can't see him wanting to re acquire him. I could see Florida having intrest in Russell, but not Wideman. 

Hard to say if the thinking may be different with Campbell and his salary gone after this year and Mitchell should be done. Unless Tallon didn't personally like Wideman he may consider him an option there.

Any trade value Wideman had is gone. The 20 game suspension is one thing but the physical nature of the infraction and this text message ordeal has really hurt his character. Really bad timing for the Flames, if BT finds a way to deal him I will be thoroughly impressed

Hard to say if the thinking may be different with Campbell and his salary gone after this year and Mitchell should be done. Unless Tallon didn't personally like Wideman he may consider him an option there.

Tallon traded him for an AHL journeymen and a 3rd round pick despite the fact that Wideman was his 2nd leading scorer at the time. I get anything is possible, but the likelihood of Tallon wanting to re acquire Wideman is about as close to Zero as you can possibly get. Wideman's not the type of dman Tallon likes. 

Any trade value Wideman had is gone. The 20 game suspension is one thing but the physical nature of the infraction and this text message ordeal has really hurt his character. Really bad timing for the Flames, if BT finds a way to deal him I will be thoroughly impressed

I actually worry that this whole incident may ruin his career.  No one will trade for him, we likely won't resign him, and I doubt anyone else is likely to sign him once his contract is up either.  His reputation is permanently tarnished in the worst way, and is likely to not only affect how he is treated by the officials but will likely weigh heavily upon his mind as well.  Expect a regression from him next season, followed by a quiet retirement at the end of next season.

If BT can trade him for a bad contract and a seventh we should consider that good value.

I actually worry that this whole incident may ruin his career. No one will trade for him, we likely won't resign him, and I doubt anyone else is likely to sign him once his contract is up either. His reputation is permanently tarnished in the worst way, and is likely to not only affect how he is treated by the officials but will likely weigh heavily upon his mind as well. Expect a regression from him next season, followed by a quiet retirement at the end of next season.

If BT can trade him for a bad contract and a seventh we should consider that good value.

Could easily work in the opposite direction. Kane was investigated for rape and his reputation took a major hit, he responded by the most dominant season in a handful of years. Adversity builds a champion.

Could easily work in the opposite direction. Kane was investigated for rape and his reputation took a major hit, he responded by the most dominant season in a handful of years. Adversity builds a champion.

I suppose, although the difference is Wideman's reputation is damaged by an on ice incident we all saw and has permanently drawn the ire of every official in the game.  Kane faced an off ice accusation that no one could prove and he could plausibly deny, so it was just a matter of him over coming the personal stress. 

Maybe it's just me, but the level of outrage over Wideman's case seems to eclipse whatever public outcry there was over the Kane allegations.  I get that the charges were dropped and all, but rape is pretty much the most heinous thing a person can do, so I would have expected a larger public response.  Meanwhile more people than I can count say the league should have expelled Wideman from the game permanently, and that he is a stain on the game of hockey.  It's pretty hard for a guy to come back from that kind of response.

I suppose, although the difference is Wideman's reputation is damaged by an on ice incident we all saw and has permanently drawn the ire of every official in the game.  Kane faced an off ice accusation that no one could prove and he could plausibly deny, so it was just a matter of him over coming the personal stress. 

Maybe it's just me, but the level of outrage over Wideman's case seems to eclipse whatever public outcry there was over the Kane allegations.  I get that the charges were dropped and all, but rape is pretty much the most heinous thing a person can do, so I would have expected a larger public response.  Meanwhile more people than I can count say the league should have expelled Wideman from the game permanently, and that he is a stain on the game of hockey.  It's pretty hard for a guy to come back from that kind of response.

I have not heard anyone say he should be expelled permanently from the league. Not one person in all the research and reading I have done(I have done a lot).

I do hear a lot saying it should have been the rest of the year, but none that say permanently. Even the Oilers Message Board that has been a cesspool of bitterness towards Wideman and what he did , no one there has said permanently. 

I have not heard anyone say he should be expelled permanently from the league. Not one person in all the research and reading I have done(I have done a lot).

I do hear a lot saying it should have been the rest of the year, but none that say permanently. Even the Oilers Message Board that has been a cesspool of bitterness towards Wideman and what he did , no one there has said permanently. 

I guess I should clarify.  Certainly no one in sports reporting, but I have heard it from people I know and have seen it on social media.  I thought I read it somewhere on a regular news site as well, but I admit I can't find it so perhaps I am mistaken.

I know social media is not the end all and be all of this sort of thing, and tends to get a bit out of hand, but the fact is some people are saying it, and that can have an effect on people's mental well being.

Edit: I take it back, here's a sports article expressing the sentiment I am talking about.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/28/assault-on-nhl-official-needs-to-be-dealt-with-harshly/

I guess I should clarify.  Certainly no one in sports reporting, but I have heard it from people I know and have seen it on social media.  I thought I read it somewhere on a regular news site as well, but I admit I can't find it so perhaps I am mistaken.

I know social media is not the end all and be all of this sort of thing, and tends to get a bit out of hand, but the fact is some people are saying it, and that can have an effect on people's mental well being.

Edit: I take it back, here's a sports article expressing the sentiment I am talking about.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/28/assault-on-nhl-official-needs-to-be-dealt-with-harshly/

Thanks for the article but the article also says punished for the remainder of the year. Nothing about banned forever.

96f8b08e0b4523ba879af7fc51755f2e.png

I found the comment that he should be charged with assault is interesting. All Pro Sports want to police themselves and society allows them to do this unless there is a heinous incident, like the Bartuzzi incident.

I guess I equate throwing a player in jail as being in the same ball park in terms of severity of punishment as expulsion. At any rate, I feel this is starting to deviate from the thread a bit, so we should get this back on track. Flames are rumoured to be in on Bozak, does that make any sense?

I guess I equate throwing a player in jail as being in the same ball park in terms of severity of punishment as expulsion. At any rate, I feel this is starting to deviate from the thread a bit, so we should get this back on track. Flames are rumoured to be in on Bozak, does that make any sense?

A 50-point 2nd-line centre. A bit of an offensive upgrade over Backlund (who's younger, btw), but doesn't have his defensive game. Though his +/- is 0 this year on a terrible Leafs team, he was -34 last season. I'm not sold. Nor do I think that another 2nd-line centre is what we really need.

What is the rumour? Bozak for who?

Thanks for the article but the article also says punished for the remainder of the year. Nothing about banned forever.

96f8b08e0b4523ba879af7fc51755f2e.png

I found the comment that he should be charged with assault is interesting. All Pro Sports want to police themselves and society allows them to do this unless there is a heinous incident, like the Bartuzzi incident.

Wideman would be a good addition for a team that's not interested in making the playoffs and needs to reach the cap floor next year. For those of you who remember players targeted by referees and many multiple suspensions, consider Bryan Marchment. After all he did, he still played out his career until he wasn't effective and was not banned from the league. Wideman would be no different in this case. It will blow over when and if he gets moved to another team next year. To get banned from the league you need to be like a Dave Schultz and I don't think Wideman is anything like him.

Where could we send Wideman and what would be the return? A seventh round pick?

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-p-a-parenteau-edmonton-oilers/2016/02/20/

Calgary was scouting last nights Marlies/Penguins game. There seems to be a lot rumors between Calgary and Toronto for 2 teams out of the playoffs.

I am more interested in the fact that Pittsburgh has 2 high goalie prospects in Matthew Murray and Tristan Jarry. Murray has absolutely dominated the AHL the last 2 years and showed very well in his 4 games in Pittsburgh this year. Is Pittsburgh desperate enough to make the playoffs this year to trade Murray? Does Russell and/or Hudler get you a high end goalie like that?

• Like 1

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-p-a-parenteau-edmonton-oilers/2016/02/20/

Calgary was scouting last nights Marlies/Penguins game. There seems to be a lot rumors between Calgary and Toronto for 2 teams out of the playoffs.

I am more interested in the fact that Pittsburgh has 2 high goalie prospects in Matthew Murray and Tristan Jarry. Murray has absolutely dominated the AHL the last 2 years and showed very well in his 4 games in Pittsburgh this year. Is Pittsburgh desperate enough to make the playoffs this year to trade Murray? Does Russell and/or Hudler get you a high end goalie like that?

Something like this would be sweet.

A 50-point 2nd-line centre. A bit of an offensive upgrade over Backlund (who's younger, btw), but doesn't have his defensive game. Though his +/- is 0 this year on a terrible Leafs team, he was -34 last season. I'm not sold. Nor do I think that another 2nd-line centre is what we really need.

Agreed, not what we need.

What is the rumour? Bozak for who?

Wideman would be a good addition for a team that's not interested in making the playoffs and needs to reach the cap floor next year. For those of you who remember players targeted by referees and many multiple suspensions, consider Bryan Marchment. After all he did, he still played out his career until he wasn't effective and was not banned from the league. Wideman would be no different in this case. It will blow over when and if he gets moved to another team next year. To get banned from the league you need to be like a Dave Schultz and I don't think Wideman is anything like him.

Where could we send Wideman and what would be the return? A seventh round pick?

Dave "The Hammer" Schultz was never banned from the league. Never even had an assault charge like Tiger Williams or Marty McSorley.

Chris Simon came close though.

I was under the impression the Flames genuinely wanted to resign Russell. Must be a pretty good return being offered if he is on the trading block. I'm still not expecting a lot of trade activity from the Flames this TDL.

I was under the impression the Flames genuinely wanted to resign Russell. Must be a pretty good return being offered if he is on the trading block. I'm still not expecting a lot of trade activity from the Flames this TDL.

Are you expecting anything ? Do you see Russell as a good resign candidate ? What are your thoughts on Hudler moving ?

I think the Flames would like to have Russell back but are finding out they can't fit him in, with what he is asking.

I also think he has the best potential to bring the highest returns before the trade deadline.

I think the Flames would like to have Russell back but are finding out they can't fit him in, with what he is asking.

I also think he has the best potential to bring the highest returns before the trade deadline.

I think the fact that Russell has missed this much time is as much a tactic as anything else.  He's a warrior, so I think he would be placed on IR if the injury kept him out this long.(since Feb. 12th).  He's already missed more than needed to put him on IR.

I think he is being held out due to a pending trade.  They want him to be fully recovered from whatever malady he may have, if any.

• Like 1

i think most of it comes down to it as right player at right price. Russell , to me , isn't worth the money he's going to get . yes he blocks a ton of shots, but he also allows more shots than most on the team. the only possible way he gets what hes going to get , from us, is if Wideman is moved.. which is looking pretty unrealistic now

Jones, if you think you can re-sign him for 1.5-2?  then i say keep him..otherwise rent him out .

Hudler, is another one.. at what he makes now, I'd resign him.. but likely he gets moved due to cost ..and prospects in the system .

Trading for a goalie makes no sense , just due to whats going to be available via UFA.. and what we'd have to give up to get what some would consider a bonafide #1 in trade

if we can do it?  (BIG if) Id like to see us move at the deadline:

Jones

Hudler

Stajan

Hiller 

Bollig

Russell

On the Bubble:

Colborne/Jooris-- if the return makes sense.. not for the sake of moving them

I know many would insist on Engelland being  on this list , but hes relatively cheap .. and has shown he can play good minutes when called upon,,and he fits the skilled tough guy model