The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

We aren't going to get very much for Gio at this point, maybe a 3rd and a salary in return.

I get the asset management stand point for trading Gio, but how many star players if any have played their entire career in Calgary? I know the team has a pretty good alumni, but we have never had that one player to plsy his whole career in the flaming C. I think Gio is a guy that deserves that chance and I think little things like that go a long way for an organization.

Iginla was different in that we were rebuilding and he wanted a chance to win a Cup. Gio can still be a part of the solution here, even at a reduced role. Lets let him retire as a Flame.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

We aren't going to get very much for Gio at this point, maybe a 3rd and a salary in return.

I get the asset management stand point for trading Gio, but how many star players if any have played their entire career in Calgary? I know the team has a pretty good alumni, but we have never had that one player to plsy his whole career in the flaming C. I think Gio is a guy that deserves that chance and I think little things like that go a long way for an organization.

Iginla was different in that we were rebuilding and he wanted a chance to win a Cup. Gio can still be a part of the solution here, even at a reduced role. Lets let him retire as a Flame.

I think the problem with the rebuild is the Flames didn’t purge enough. We should’ve gone for even more picks and gotten what we could’ve from all of the vets. Maybe even a few years into it they could’ve gotten a few firsts for Gio. If they were going to trade him the opportunity has past. 

although he was good for the rebuild and having a semblance of professionalism.

i do think he’s probably a lifer right now and can they get something for him? I doubt it’s enough.

I agree that keeping Gio is a better plan.

Reducing his role as he slows is a good way to go about it because he is still big for this team as far as intangibles are considered.

I also agree that we could potentially be watching our future #1 pair in Hanifin-Andersson as I have really liked what I've seen from them thus far.  

I know lots would entertain moving Hanifin, myself included, but only in the right deal. For example, I was hoping for a Trocheck-Hanifin at the TDL.

But I think the Flames should keep him. His deal is going to look very good in a few seasons. When he’s 25 making only 4.9 I have a feeling it will be one of the better value deals for a blue liner 

So.. I don’t hate Monahan, I just feel we need better on line 1 and he seems to be the guy going the other way. That said,

Barzal - NYI. 
word is he is a prime candidate for an offer sheet and NYI (Lou Lamierello) May not be able to match (just going on stuff I’ve read). What if we target him in a trade for Monahan (could add something as well)? On the condition Barzal signs with us of course. Do you think Lamierello would do that? Do you think he’d fear losing Barzal to an offer sheet just like he lost Tavares for nothing? 

7 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

So.. I don’t hate Monahan, I just feel we need better on line 1 and he seems to be the guy going the other way. That said,

Barzal - NYI. 
word is he is a prime candidate for an offer sheet and NYI (Lou Lamierello) May not be able to match (just going on stuff I’ve read). What if we target him in a trade for Monahan (could add something as well)? On the condition Barzal signs with us of course. Do you think Lamierello would do that? Do you think he’d fear losing Barzal to an offer sheet just like he lost Tavares for nothing? 

Barzal offersheet will be something like $10.5x5years. Which would mean giving up 2 1st round picks, a 2nd and a 3rd so they wouldn't be losing him for nothing. I am fine with that but I think the Islanders would match and they would find a way to keep Barzal.

Would we trade Hanifin + for Nylander? 

what about Hanifin for Kapanen + ? 

we don’t have a RD so it would have to be the a LD. 

some might feel we found a good pair in Hanifin / Andersson.

who would be Valamaki’s future D partner? 

I like how someone mentioned (I think Brewcrew, Peeps, Sak or Rickross) that in 2004 the Flames D all matured together. It’s looking good if the Andifin pair can keep it up. It’s a good mix of speed and dependable.

16 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I like how someone mentioned (I think Brewcrew, Peeps, Sak or Rickross) that in 2004 the Flames D all matured together. It’s looking good if the Andifin pair can keep it up. It’s a good mix of speed and dependable.

Anderfin is starting to grow on me.

Valimaki has to have a healthy season before we can start to move him up.

If we don't then we have three solid pairs.

That is assuming we re-signed TJ which I think is a good chance.

I don't think we should let him walk unless we are signing Pietrangelo.

Then I don't care.

But that makes the cap that much more difficult.

Means we can't keep Ryan and re-sign Mangiapane.

That's not the end of the world.

I think Gawdin coould step in and be decent.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Anderfin is starting to grow on me.

Valimaki has to have a healthy season before we can start to move him up.

If we don't then we have three solid pairs.

That is assuming we re-signed TJ which I think is a good chance.

I don't think we should let him walk unless we are signing Pietrangelo.

Then I don't care.

But that makes the cap that much more difficult.

Means we can't keep Ryan and re-sign Mangiapane.

That's not the end of the world.

I think Gawdin coould step in and be decent.

TJ isn’t going to be as cheap as he is now, but I think he’d sign for about 5.5 or just under 6. He does a lot for the team so I wonder if Am undervaluing him. 

I felt that the Anderfin duo was bound to happen and needed to either Some time at the end of last year or at the beginning of this year.

if Bennett can keep being a decent 3C he does render Ryan a bit insignificant. I think Bennett could start improving on his face-off skills too. 

Adding wingers is last on my list areas to address, outside of maybe adding Hall and trading Gaudreau which is more about asset management.

My shopping list would be:

1. A goalie. I can see them bringing back Talbot, but with guys like Lehner and Holtby being UFA. Murray,Anderssen, Dubnyk possibly being available in trade there should be options.

2. A top 6 center. Center is a bit of a concern going forward. Though if they can get Bennett playing like he is now at center on a consistent basis that could solve a lot of issues.

3. A RD. Possibly two. Bringing back one of Brodie or Gustafsson makes sense. Another name could be Barrie. 

6 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Adding wingers is last on my list areas to address, outside of maybe adding Hall and trading Gaudreau which is more about asset management.

1. A goalie. I can see them bringing back Talbot, but with guys like Lehner and Holtby being UFA. Murray,Anderssen, Dubnyk possibly being available in trade there should be options.

2. A top 6 center. Center is a bit of a concern going forward. Though if they can get Bennett playing like he is now at center on a consistent basis that could solve a lot of issues.

3. A RD. Possibly two. Bringing back one of Brodie or Gustafsson makes sense. Another name could be Barrie. 

Admittedly I'm super curious to see how the goalie situation plays out.

If I'm Rittich , I'm super PO'd right now ..he's competitive he has to be ..  but Talbot has shown he's Talbot again and will be looking for more of a starter role .not sure he'd sign into a tandem again and he won't sign for 2.7 again.

Flames tho should and probably will make a good push to sign him back.

Unless they go all in on Lehner I'm more intrigued by the internal dilemma 

7 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I'm not big on Barrie, but as a replacement for Gus and Brodie, it would make some sense.

We have to be making an offer to Pietrangelo, but it does create some cap issues; Ryan at the least would need to be dealt, maybe Hanifin.

Murray is an RFA, so may be easier to trade for.  One of NY's goalies may be a good target if they don't trade King Henrik.

Talbot is a good interim option, though I don't think we want an interim solution.  Holtby will cost too much.  Lehner is about the best option I can think of.

Top 6C don't become available that easily.  What have we got to trade for it?

If we managed to sign Pietrangelo, we more or less have to trade Hanifin, which might bring back a top 6 C.  He's starting to grow on me, and maybe he takes steps this fall, but we could survive without him.  Maybe Gusdersson would be a fit; small increase from $1.2m.  Having a top goalie and top D would fix a lot of the problems we faced this year.  Not enough scoring from the D.  Too many chances given up.

While I do like the pairing of Hanifin-anderson (and they were good even when paired in the regular season) nothing has moved me off my position with Hanifin, in that you only trade him if someone overpays you for him. He is a good steady 2nd pairing dman on a solid contract, but if there is a team out there that sees more and is willing to give you the return of a future top pairing dman then you look at that but only that. I'm talking if a team dangles a top 6 center or a RS dman that is a good age range with decent cost control, then for sure look at it. But for players like Nylander or Kapenen I would pass personally as the value is likely higher to just keep him.

With the emergence of the likes of Dube and Mangiapane i'm with Jtech that winger is not a need I would be aggressive in filling if I were the Flames so trading Hanifin for another winger doesn't really do much for me. 

In terms of what you do with Valimaki, I do think you first need to see him healthy, but you have the option of starting him on the 3rd pairing or you could always pair him with GIo as well if they wind up losing Brodie. I don't think Hanifin "blocks" anything for Valimaki. 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Admittedly I'm super curious to see how the goalie situation plays out.

If I'm Rittich , I'm super PO'd right now ..he's competitive he has to be ..  but Talbot has shown he's Talbot again and will be looking for more of a starter role .not sure he'd sign into a tandem again and he won't sign for 2.7 again.

Flames tho should and probably will make a good push to sign him back.

Unless they go all in on Lehner I'm more intrigued by the internal dilemma 

Personally I think the Flames need to be very smart with Talbot and not let emotion get in the way. Sure he's leading them in the playoffs but I think what is debatable is how much of it is actually on him. I thikn this has been more of a good fit and right place right time situation then it has been on Talbot skill level and that should be considered. If he sees it the same way then there is traction but if Talbot wants this as a launching pad for anther contract i'm out. 

Similar to Mrzaek for me and he got a 2 year deal for 3.1. That's about the max i'm offering Talbot and before I offered that I'd be calling Pittsburgh to see what they are doing with Jary/Murray. 

When a team wins the lotto today, do you think there is a chance they would trade it for an established player?

I guess it depends on the team, but the more established teams might entertain it.

Toronto is in win-now mode, so they might be open to it.

PITTS is trending down, so they probably could use Laffy.

EDM has so many more needs than just a winger.

NSH needs a real top line C.

Does a player like Gaudreau move the needle?  I somehow doubt it, but he would make a lot of teams better than they are today.

Not lost is the pending extension that would be required.  It would have to be a big fit.

I highly doubt any team is going to trade 1 overall for an established talent. It's rare at the best of times but in the cap world the value you get for these players on their ELC, especially one with the pedigree and likely immediate impact of Lafreniere, makes their value pretty hard to match. 

so no chance IMO and certainly not for Gaudreau. Lafreniere has a chance to be as impactfull next year as Gaudrau was this year for the Flames. 

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

When a team wins the lotto today, do you think there is a chance they would trade it for an established player?

I guess it depends on the team, but the more established teams might entertain it.

Toronto is in win-now mode, so they might be open to it.

PITTS is trending down, so they probably could use Laffy.

EDM has so many more needs than just a winger.

NSH needs a real top line C.

Does a player like Gaudreau move the needle?  I somehow doubt it, but he would make a lot of teams better than they are today.

Not lost is the pending extension that would be required.  It would have to be a big fit.

I say it's unlikely just because of getting a player who could contribute a lot on a low cost for at least 3 years is too appealing no matter the needs.  Toronto could use it and move other pieces out to maybe fill other needs.  Nashville could use a top C, but they have so much already committed to RJ and MD, could dangle Forsberg.  Edmonton I've thought about but Nuge being primarily moved to the wing and on his final year may not be back after.  Just don't really see the #1 moved anymore its hard to see it start now especially when many of these teams can use a cap friendly player.

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I say it's unlikely just because of getting a player who could contribute a lot on a low cost for at least 3 years is too appealing no matter the needs.  Toronto could use it and move other pieces out to maybe fill other needs.  Nashville could use a top C, but they have so much already committed to RJ and MD, could dangle Forsberg.  Edmonton I've thought about but Nuge being primarily moved to the wing and on his final year may not be back after.  Just don't really see the #1 moved anymore its hard to see it start now especially when many of these teams can use a cap friendly player.

I thought it was a mistake to move Draisaitl to C and Nuge to wing.  Now, that's mostly because they had a knee-jerk reaction to Eberle's playoffs.

They had McD and Drai on one line, and Nuge-Eberle on L2.  At least that's how I remember it.  Gave them a shutdown line with some punch.

But that ship has sailed and they are forced to run two scoring C lines.  With not much support with them.

If they move Nuge, they will be worse off than they are today, regardless of Laffy or not.  Sure, he would give one line an awesome LW, but the other line would still be a minus. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Personally I think the Flames need to be very smart with Talbot and not let emotion get in the way. Sure he's leading them in the playoffs but I think what is debatable is how much of it is actually on him. I thikn this has been more of a good fit and right place right time situation then it has been on Talbot skill level and that should be considered. If he sees it the same way then there is traction but if Talbot wants this as a launching pad for anther contract i'm out. 

Similar to Mrzaek for me and he got a 2 year deal for 3.1. That's about the max i'm offering Talbot and before I offered that I'd be calling Pittsburgh to see what they are doing with Jary/Murray. 

agree totally.. dont think hes looking for the big money but he will be looking for some term.. even 2 years .

Which creates the dilemma with Rittich , as he would be pending UFA next season i believe 

Id love to see Rittich get a game or 2 somehow.. see what we have in terms of a playoff performer 

19 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

agree totally.. dont think hes looking for the big money but he will be looking for some term.. even 2 years .

Which creates the dilemma with Rittich , as he would be pending UFA next season i believe 

Id love to see Rittich get a game or 2 somehow.. see what we have in terms of a playoff performer 

Depending on where the Flames are in the series, you could see Rittich in nets in the B2B games.  He battled hard against them in the past.

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Ya in 2004, we went into the playoffs with a mish mash of blueliners who didn't find their groove until the playoffs.  Then all the pairings suddenly worked.  Even the Doors made a name for themselves.  It was magical.

We saw some Anderfin chemistry.  So maybe regardless of what happens the rest of the way, we keep Hanifin.  Start Valimaki as the 3rd LD next season.  Mackey will be our 7th D.

12 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I could be wrong but Talbot sounded like he believes he is still "starter material" meaning he wants a situation where he's the #1 guy making #1 money.  The key is the money because I highly doubt anyone in the NHL would give him that, unless we win the Cup this year on the back of his goaltending.

Chances are, he will have to take similar money in a similar situation which is not what he wants.  I think he'll play out his career dejected and unmotivated after this one.  I would trend towards not bringing him back.  He's 33-years-old also.

Georgiev is interesting.  24-years-old so lots of hockey left in the tank.  Seems like a Kipper/Sharks situation back in the day.  He couldn't beat out Nabokov and Toskala on the depth charts.  Georgiev could prove to be a steal because he's ready to be a starter.

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I could be wrong but Talbot sounded like he believes he is still "starter material" meaning he wants a situation where he's the #1 guy making #1 money.  The key is the money because I highly doubt anyone in the NHL would give him that, unless we win the Cup this year on the back of his goaltending.

Chances are, he will have to take similar money in a similar situation which is not what he wants.  I think he'll play out his career dejected and unmotivated after this one.  I would trend towards not bringing him back.  He's 33-years-old also.

Georgiev is interesting.  24-years-old so lots of hockey left in the tank.  Seems like a Kipper/Sharks situation back in the day.  He couldn't beat out Nabokov and Toskala on the depth charts.  Georgiev could prove to be a steal because he's ready to be a starter.

And we could insulate him a bit until he's 100% ready.

BSD must be tired of losing the net to the "vet".

He didn't do himself any favors, but he was great for 1/2 a season.

45 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If he gets us far in the playoffs, would you be willing to give Talbot Binnington money? I feel he’s only worth 4M, tops. 

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

If he gets us far in the playoffs, would you be willing to give Talbot Binnington money? I feel he’s only worth 4M, tops. 

$4-mil tops.  2-years max.