Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

For sure, which is why if you're the Flames you have to be firm in your stance. Maybe it's not realistic, but I don't see the Flames wanting a cap dump, or a Raffl or Laughton to make the numbers work. 

 

Dylan Larkin is Detroit's Jarome Iginla, they love him, he's a Michigan kid. They won't trade him unless the Flames make a huge overpayment. 

You mean like that massive overpayment we got for Iggy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robrob74 said:


 

well, we can deal with the cap ramifications later as the season doesn’t start right away. 

Actually no you can't .. you can only be 10% over at any time of the offseason  and at this stage we've already signed Hall for $8M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

You mean like that massive overpayment we got for Iggy?

Apples to oranges.

 

Larkin is a 24 year old C, on a very team-friendly deal. Iginla was an aging RW at 36, with full control of where he was traded. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be super awkward to acquire Ristolainen after it's already been made public that a current member of the organization really doesn't like him. Actually be pretty comical to be honest. 

 

Not a real surprise but the buzz on the Flames looking for D would all but confirm to me that both Hamonic and Brodie are not going to be back. 

 

I would really love if the organization could look back and realize how much bad it looks that they were a middling team all season, out in the first round, and yet are going to let 2 high profile UFA dman walk for free. Some bad luck involved (Hamonic injured and Kadri turning down the Brodie deal) but it's still not a good look. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ristolainen......the man that made -40 plus/minus a thing.

 

super great that we've got trade rumors there lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.tsn.ca/seravalli-at-least-17-nhl-teams-have-reduced-pay-amid-covid-19-crunch-1.1522380

 

Interesting article from Seravalli. Lots of teams are hurting right now. Flames staff are taking a 20% pay cut.

 

Whats really interesting is that teams like Buffalo are considering a low $70m range internal cap, Arizona may be operating at just under $70m, and Pittsburgh is planning a budget in the low to mid $70m range.

 

It makes it interesting for moving salary this off season. Maybe we can increase the return for Gaudreau and/or Monahan if we take back salary in a trade.

 

For example if we trade with Philadelphia can we get more in return if we take a bad contract like Gostisbehere or JVR in return. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Ristolainen,

 

At least BT is talking to BUF.  Hopefully Cozens is a name that comes up.  Maybe BUF's 8th overall.  Combine these with Risto and I think it makes sense.  I have suggested Risto in the past so I am happy to hear these rumours.  

 

On the Flames past comments on Risto, that was based on Corsi or something to that regard 2 or 3 seasons ago when Risto was one of the worst in the NHL if not outright THE worst for corsi  But there's reasons right.  Who did BUF have to play RHS RD?  Risto was rushed to top pair before he was ready and even this season, has proven he cannot play top pair. 

 

Okay, no prob he doesn't have to play top pair here because Andersson can do the job.  That takes care of that.  I was skeptical of Gustafson when we got him but we saw when we sheltered Gustafson, he was useful.  Gustafson and Risto are PP specialists.  Risto has maintained 40-point pace the past few seasons so he can be an effective PP QB.  RHS with some shot power. 

 

Risto was also a star in the WJC that year I believe Finland won or was silver medalists.  Bring him here and play him with Valimaki.  A Finn pairing could help with communication.  One guy is offensive minded and the other is defensive minded.  Looks good to me.  Play them together on a shelters role.

 

And so lastly, that cap hit.  We would have to really win this trade for us to take on the full hit.  In an even trade, I'd like Risto to come here at about $3.5-mil-per and play 2nd/3rd pairing as a PP specialist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

At least BT is talking to BUF.  Hopefully Cozens is a name that comes up.  Maybe BUF's 8th overall.  Combine these with Risto and I think it makes sense.  I have suggested Risto in the past so I am happy to hear these rumours.  

 

If you are suggesting Cozens + 8th + Risto for Gaudreau, then yeah that is probably value to the Flames.

If not, we are getting hosed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

If you are suggesting Cozens + 8th + Risto for Gaudreau, then yeah that is probably value to the Flames.

If not, we are getting hosed.

 

Ya that's kind of the idea but I think we would have to add.  A 7th overall + 8th overall for Gaudreau is a bit too much for what I think Gaudreau is worth these days.  Though, you can argue taking on Risto as a cap dump evens it out.

 

If the idea is to trade Gaudreau and then sign Hall, Risto's cap hit kind of prohibits that... but then again, Risto solves our bottom pair RD problem so he's a good fit here.  I'd much rather Risto than a LHS LD that we are going to force over the to right side... that cap hit... luckily it's only 2 more seasons so it's not bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If taking back Risto in a trade gets the Flames Cozens then I would be open to that. Anything short of that and it is not a good deal. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JTech780 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/seravalli-at-least-17-nhl-teams-have-reduced-pay-amid-covid-19-crunch-1.1522380

 

Interesting article from Seravalli. Lots of teams are hurting right now. Flames staff are taking a 20% pay cut.

 

Whats really interesting is that teams like Buffalo are considering a low $70m range internal cap, Arizona may be operating at just under $70m, and Pittsburgh is planning a budget in the low to mid $70m range.

 

It makes it interesting for moving salary this off season. Maybe we can increase the return for Gaudreau and/or Monahan if we take back salary in a trade.

 

For example if we trade with Philadelphia can we get more in return if we take a bad contract like Gostisbehere or JVR in return. 

 

I'm strongly against another overpaid aging winger, not just that but having 12million tied up between Lucic and JVR isn't ideal, but having both of them tie up roster spots for 3 more years has less appeal.  With JVR, he can still contribute therefore will get a top 6 role and PP time, even if Gaudreau is gone I'd rather look to getting all of Dube, Bennett and Mangiapane more PP time, instead of having JVR and Lucic get it, because we all know they will.

 

With the Flames cutting staff costs as well I just don't like the optics of helping out other teams, especially a richer team in the Flyers.  I know if I was asked to take a 20% paycut and the team was seeking out millionaires just because they have a # they can spend on players, that wouldn't go over well with me.  Under normal circumstances maybe I'd take Ghost and leave him in the pressbox, but this is different times and I just don't believe in helping out other teams with millionaires when you are asking lesser paid contributors to the organization less money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sak22 said:

I'm strongly against another overpaid aging winger, not just that but having 12million tied up between Lucic and JVR isn't ideal, but having both of them tie up roster spots for 3 more years has less appeal.  With JVR, he can still contribute therefore will get a top 6 role and PP time, even if Gaudreau is gone I'd rather look to getting all of Dube, Bennett and Mangiapane more PP time, instead of having JVR and Lucic get it, because we all know they will.

 

With the Flames cutting staff costs as well I just don't like the optics of helping out other teams, especially a richer team in the Flyers.  I know if I was asked to take a 20% paycut and the team was seeking out millionaires just because they have a # they can spend on players, that wouldn't go over well with me.  Under normal circumstances maybe I'd take Ghost and leave him in the pressbox, but this is different times and I just don't believe in helping out other teams with millionaires when you are asking lesser paid contributors to the organization less money.

 

I absolutely get what you are saying and its hard to disagree with, that being said this is a business and the Flames have to find ways to be successful. If you shipping out $6.75m and taking back $7m the bottom line doesn't change much and the team might be able to get an extra pick or prospect out of the deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Ya that's kind of the idea but I think we would have to add.  A 7th overall + 8th overall for Gaudreau is a bit too much for what I think Gaudreau is worth these days.  Though, you can argue taking on Risto as a cap dump evens it out.

 

If the idea is to trade Gaudreau and then sign Hall, Risto's cap hit kind of prohibits that... but then again, Risto solves our bottom pair RD problem so he's a good fit here.  I'd much rather Risto than a LHS LD that we are going to force over the to right side... that cap hit... luckily it's only 2 more seasons so it's not bad.

 

3rd pairing D?  What about someone to play with Gio?

 

Okay, so I may be softening up a bit, but Gaudreau + 19th for Cozens + 8th + Risto.

Essentially that is Gaudreau for Cozens and the cap dump allows you to bump from 19th to 8th.

Together it sounds a bit better for Buffalo.

They know what Risto is.

 

I'm not suggesting that Gaudreau has extreme high value, but let's face it, you don't get an elite playmaker for just a top prospect.

Should be worth a 1st rounder, a top prospect and a decent prospect or pick.

With my suggestion, we don't lose out on face value.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmm well if they are talking to Buf and Rolston (sp?) is part of what they are looking at, I wonder if there may be a fit for Rineheart in a package deal? I think both of those for Gaudreau + a little not sure what could possibly work...it would definitely help us in 2 areas D and RW which we seem to need to fill a few holes...any thoughts on that? 
 

it would allow us to move Tachuck up with Monaghan and Reinheart on the top line 

 

then we could move Backlund for some room/picks, sign Hall and have Bennet Center him with Lindhom on the RW who can aslo fill in Ctr as needed if Bennet struggles while he readjusts to being a Ctr again

 

those would be some pretty awesome top 2 lines right there!

 

add in OEL (if cap allows) and the D looks pretty solid too...maybe better then we think if they could get OEL and move Gio...maybe keep Brodie?

 

OEL/ Brodie

Rolston/ Anderson 
Valimaki/ Hannifin

 

and any of Guffstsson/Killington/whoever for inserts and injury  

 

not sure if cap or if we have the assets to do something like this but seems like it could work with a bit of tinkering 

 

the only issue here is the bottom 6 and goal is not really addressed 

 

ah ok so definitely OEL is not a good option there are better options for far less I think but even still a possible solid d core...wonder if Brodie would sign for around 7/7.5? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I look at the Flyers organization, I just don't see any prospect worthy of taking on a cap-dump for. 

 

JVR would see James Neal type production on the Flames.

Ghost is a significantly more expensive Gustafsson.  

 

I agree that the Flames would need to take on some salary in a Gaudreau trade. I don't love Ristolainen, but would prefer taking on his contract more than either guy in Philly. 

 

Another team I would look at is Boston. Friedman thinks the Bruins are looking to add scoring and would be willing to move D to do it. Maybe Debrusk and Carlo would make sense for the Flames. Gaudreau would fit nicely with Kase and Krejci on the Bruins 2nd line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

I absolutely get what you are saying and its hard to disagree with, that being said this is a business and the Flames have to find ways to be successful. If you shipping out $6.75m and taking back $7m the bottom line doesn't change much and the team might be able to get an extra pick or prospect out of the deal.

True, honestly wasn't thinking about the loss of Johnny's money 🥴.  But a flat cap likely for a couple more years and 2 bad contracts for 3 more years can be costly down the road and lower revenues will make it more difficult to flip those later or buy out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

3rd pairing D?  What about someone to play with Gio?

 

Okay, so I may be softening up a bit, but Gaudreau + 19th for Cozens + 8th + Risto.

Essentially that is Gaudreau for Cozens and the cap dump allows you to bump from 19th to 8th.

Together it sounds a bit better for Buffalo.

They know what Risto is.

 

I'm not suggesting that Gaudreau has extreme high value, but let's face it, you don't get an elite playmaker for just a top prospect.

Should be worth a 1st rounder, a top prospect and a decent prospect or pick.

With my suggestion, we don't lose out on face value.   

 

I'd really want to keep our 19th.  BUF wants to win today so I hope we can trade them Backlund instead.  BUF doesn't really have a second line Center and especially after trading Cozens, they would probably want Backlund.  

 

Of course Backlund has a NTC.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

 

I'd really want to keep our 19th.  BUF wants to win today so I hope we can trade them Backlund instead.  BUF doesn't really have a second line Center and especially after trading Cozens, they would probably want Backlund.  

 

Of course Backlund has a NTC.  

 

If you are just trading Gaudreau, then you aren't really fixing all the problems.

No, Backlund is not a problem, but he also hasn't had two strong playoffs, two years in a row.

Two trades makes more sense than just Gaudreau.

Picking up a C means you have to deal with Backlund or Bennett losing a spot.

Makes more sense to have Bennett move up to replace Backlund and Cozens forming a new line with say Dube and someone else.

As much as I liked Lucic in the playoffs, that 3rd line isn't going to have the same impact for 82 games.

 

I do think there are many more teams that Backlund would accept a trade to, that would have a better available return than BUFF.

Saying that because I doubt Backlund would waive to go to BUFF.

Backlund to BOS for Kase?

Backlund to TO for Willie?

Just spitballing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

 

If you are just trading Gaudreau, then you aren't really fixing all the problems.

No, Backlund is not a problem, but he also hasn't had two strong playoffs, two years in a row.

Two trades makes more sense than just Gaudreau.

Picking up a C means you have to deal with Backlund or Bennett losing a spot.

Makes more sense to have Bennett move up to replace Backlund and Cozens forming a new line with say Dube and someone else.

As much as I liked Lucic in the playoffs, that 3rd line isn't going to have the same impact for 82 games.

 

I do think there are many more teams that Backlund would accept a trade to, that would have a better available return than BUFF.

Saying that because I doubt Backlund would waive to go to BUFF.

Backlund to BOS for Kase?

Backlund to TO for Willie?

Just spitballing.

 

 

Yes move Bennett up to #2 Center.  He won't put up big numbers but he's a solid two-way guy now with shut down abilities and has sandpaper.  If we give him some skill on the wing like Dube then Bennett could score 40-points.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a super quick list of players I would be looking for in a Gaudreau or Monahan trade, some are more realistic than others.

 

Connor McMichael C Washington
Dante Fabbro D Nashville
Philip Tomasino C Nashville
Ryan Merkley D San Jose
Noah Dobson D Islanders
Ilya Sorokin G Islanders
Philip Broberg D Edmonton
Cody Glass C Vegas
Peyton Krebs C Vegas
Spencer Knight G Florida
Trevor Zegras C Anaheim
Robert Thomas C St. Louis
Moritz Seider D Detroit
Joe Veleno C Detroit
Thomas Harley D Dallas
Ty Dellandrea C Dallas
Dylan Samberg D Winnipeg
Kirby Dach C Chicago
Adam Boqvist D Chicago
Alex Turcotte C Los Angeles
Barrett Hayton C Arizona
Victor Soderstrom D Arizona
Morgan Frost C Philadelphia
Bowen Byram D Colorado
Alex Newhook C Colorado
Tyson Jost C Colorado
Josh Norris C Ottawa
Dylan Cozens C Buffalo
Henri Jokiharju D Buffalo
Martin Necas C Carolina
Jake Bean D Carolina
Rasmus Sandin D Toronto
Ty Smith D New Jersey
Filip Chytil C Rangers
Nils Lundkvist D Rangers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Henri Jokiharju D Buffalo

 

I think he was a trade for Nylander straight up.

A little on the low side, so I'm assuming you are expecting a ton more than just him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Yes move Bennett up to #2 Center.  He won't put up big numbers but he's a solid two-way guy now with shut down abilities and has sandpaper.  If we give him some skill on the wing like Dube then Bennett could score 40-points.  

 

Hall-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Bennett-Mangiapane

(this is essentially the 3M line and could be defensive in nature; Hall replaces Gaudreau)

 

or

 

Tkachuk-Monahan-Lindholm

Hall-Bennett-Mangiapane

(this is more two scoring lines with some defensive responsibilities)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I think he was a trade for Nylander straight up.

A little on the low side, so I'm assuming you are expecting a ton more than just him.

 

Yeah, most of the players on the list would be part of the deal not the whole deal.

 

That was a bad trade by Chicago IMO, Jokiharju is 21 years old, RHS D, great skater and puck mover. I think there is a lot of upside with him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...