The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Wow. Minnesota got Bjugstad for a conditional 7th.

And Pittsburgh is reaining 50% salary.

Wouldn't have minded Bjugstad at that price. $2m this year.

Any interest in Dumba from Minnesota? Apparently he and Brodin were being shopped at the TDL for upgrading offence in the forward ranks.

Not sure about Gaudreau for Dumba but something based on that. Dumba is 6 mil cap hit, so less than Johnny and less than Petro would be. Dumba is RD.

43 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Any interest in Dumba from Minnesota? Apparently he and Brodin were being shopped at the TDL for upgrading offence in the forward ranks.

Not sure about Gaudreau for Dumba but something based on that. Dumba is 6 mil cap hit, so less than Johnny and less than Petro would be. Dumba is RD.

I've heard Monahan for Dumba.  Personally not interested whatsoever.  

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

If taking back Risto in a trade gets the Flames Cozens then I would be open to that. Anything short of that and it is not a good deal. 

This is just me, but if I were to target anyone on Buffalo it would be Dahlin.   There are Very few ways we could avoid or accelerate a rebuild.   Getting a center imho won't do it.    Getting Dahlin is one of the extremely few ways we could.   

Dahlin's value has dropped considerably from when he was spoken of as a modern day Bobby Orr.

My own opinion on this is he's being rushed.   If you compare his numbers with that of Bobby Orr at the same age, they are actually still close.  When was the last time a 19 year old defenceman approached a point-per-game in this league?

If Buffalo loses patience on him and we picked him up, then we're one Askarov pick away from me thinking maybe we don't need a full rebuild.

• Like 1

Just going off the rumours it sure seems like Treliving might looking to double down with this core and instead of moving a core piece or two, he might be looking to add to the core. He has been rumoured to be in on OEL, Kuemper, Hall, Murray, Andersen. 

I think my hope of going into a rebuild is a longshot. I do understand what Treliving is doing and when the team is struggling to make money, you don't want to have a losing team when fans come back to the stadiums. 

OEL has struggled this season and has a massive contract, he also comes with a NMC. His contract really scares me, I do think there is a really solid chance that he rebounds. He is still a first pairing defenseman who can log 24mins a night. I do think he would look really good with Andersson on the top pairing. If the team is looking to stay competitive this coming season, which I believe to be the mandate from owners, they could do a lot worse than OEL. With Arizona looking to cut payroll, can we get him for a low acquisition cost. To me that will be the key.

Kuemper has a year and a half of solid performance. He has two more years at $4.5m. He is 30 years old. He did have some injury troubles last year. Has only started 30 or more games in a season twice. I think he is a solid goalie and has been trending towards elite. The rumoured acquisition cost, a 1st+, scares me. That is too much for a 30+ year old goalie with only 2 years under contract.

Hall makes sense if you want to improve your scoring and you want to stay competitive. I think there will be a few suitors for him so I am not sure how high his contract climbs too. A team like Colorado could give him a max dollar amount for a one year Cup run. I would have to think that would be hard to turn down.

Murray has two Cups, is younger than Kuemper at 26 years old. He had an off year, and has dealt with some injuries the past few years. Has played at least 38 games the last 4 years. He needs a new contract. I think if he is healthy he can be a game changer and at 26 he is young enough that he can still be a top goalie for another 5-10 years. It comes down to acquisition cost. I would prefer him to Kuemper though I see the argument the other way.

Andersen has one more year at $5m. I think he was a victim of being over played, and stuck behind a team that had no interest in playing defense. He is a top end goalie. Not sure if Toronto is wanting to move him or not. I think they could use his cap space.

Either way I think we will see Treliving add a goalie in the $4.5-$5.5m range. I get why he wants his goalie situation figured out before anything else, because that will dictate how much cap he has available for other upgrades.

I also wonder how many other pure cap dump trades, like the Bjugstad trade, we will see. 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Just going off the rumours it sure seems like Treliving might looking to double down with this core and instead of moving a core piece or two, he might be looking to add to the core. He has been rumoured to be in on OEL, Kuemper, Hall, Murray, Andersen. 

I think my hope of going into a rebuild is a longshot. I do understand what Treliving is doing and when the team is struggling to make money, you don't want to have a losing team when fans come back to the stadiums. 

OEL has struggled this season and has a massive contract, he also comes with a NMC. His contract really scares me, I do think there is a really solid chance that he rebounds. He is still a first pairing defenseman who can log 24mins a night. I do think he would look really good with Andersson on the top pairing. If the team is looking to stay competitive this coming season, which I believe to be the mandate from owners, they could do a lot worse than OEL. With Arizona looking to cut payroll, can we get him for a low acquisition cost. To me that will be the key.

Kuemper has a year and a half of solid performance. He has two more years at $4.5m. He is 30 years old. He did have some injury troubles last year. Has only started 30 or more games in a season twice. I think he is a solid goalie and has been trending towards elite. The rumoured acquisition cost, a 1st+, scares me. That is too much for a 30+ year old goalie with only 2 years under contract.

Hall makes sense if you want to improve your scoring and you want to stay competitive. I think there will be a few suitors for him so I am not sure how high his contract climbs too. A team like Colorado could give him a max dollar amount for a one year Cup run. I would have to think that would be hard to turn down.

Murray has two Cups, is younger than Kuemper at 26 years old. He had an off year, and has dealt with some injuries the past few years. Has played at least 38 games the last 4 years. He needs a new contract. I think if he is healthy he can be a game changer and at 26 he is young enough that he can still be a top goalie for another 5-10 years. It comes down to acquisition cost. I would prefer him to Kuemper though I see the argument the other way.

Andersen has one more year at $5m. I think he was a victim of being over played, and stuck behind a team that had no interest in playing defense. He is a top end goalie. Not sure if Toronto is wanting to move him or not. I think they could use his cap space.

Either way I think we will see Treliving add a goalie in the $4.5-$5.5m range. I get why he wants his goalie situation figured out before anything else, because that will dictate how much cap he has available for other upgrades.

I also wonder how many other pure cap dump trades, like the Bjugstad trade, we will see. 

Personally I dont think BT should be in on any of those goalies. If you're gonna stick in that price range why not just re-sign Talbot for 3.25 - 3.5 for 2 years? Just make sure your goalie workload is approx 50/50 from the start and hopefully by the time BSD is up for a new contract you'll have a better idea what you have in both and you'll have a better idea how far the farm hands are doing. None of the above mentioned goalies are any more of a savior than what the organization already has.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Personally I dont think BT should be in on any of those goalies. If you're gonna stick in that price range why not just re-sign Talbot for 3.25 - 3.5 for 2 years? Just make sure your goalie workload is approx 50/50 from the start and hopefully by the time BSD is up for a new contract you'll have a better idea what you have in both and you'll have a better idea how far the farm hands are doing. None of the above mentioned goalies are any more of a savior than what the organization already has.

I think all 3 are upgrades on Talbot and Rittich. The biggest knock for me with this core is that they are mentally weak and when a goalie lets in a bad goal they have tendancy to quit. The biggest weakness for Talbot and Rittich is that they have moments where they lose focus. I think all 3 of the goalies mentioned are stronger mentally.

I am not a big fan of spending money and assets at goalies, but this team hasn't had an elite goalie since Kipper. 

I get the reasoning behind targeting a top end goalie.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

They're too young, we should wait until they mature.

I heard Jaromir Jagr is available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I think all 3 are upgrades on Talbot and Rittich. The biggest knock for me with this core is that they are mentally weak and when a goalie lets in a bad goal they have tendancy to quit. The biggest weakness for Talbot and Rittich is that they have moments where they lose focus. I think all 3 of the goalies mentioned are stronger mentally.

I am not a big fan of spending money and assets at goalies, but this team hasn't had an elite goalie since Kipper. 

I get the reasoning behind targeting a top end goalie.

Id personally only want  to to take a real stab at Anderson.  Murray is arb eligible and likely will get paid like a 2x cup winner,  when he hasn't played like one in  2 years and can't stay healthy.

Kuemper is good .. but I don't see him being a full #1..  but he does have a good contact for 2 more years 

6 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Just going off the rumours it sure seems like Treliving might looking to double down with this core and instead of moving a core piece or two, he might be looking to add to the core. 

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bc86pblsp5j43i7amdu

It certainly does seem that the Flames would be willing to add to the roster rather than shake things up.

Rightly or wrongly, I think the Flames, whether it's ownership or management, look at STL and DAL of the past 2 seasons and see similar clubs. Both teams really struggled to make any noise in the playoffs for the longest time, but they stuck with it and were rewarded. I will acknowledge that the Flames do not have a Heiskanen or ROR though.

I still wouldn't be moving any futures, unless it's for a legitimate #1 C, like a Barkov or Point.

47 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It certainly does seem that the Flames would be willing to add to the roster rather than shake things up.

Rightly or wrongly, I think the Flames, whether it's ownership or management, look at STL and DAL of the past 2 seasons and see similar clubs. Both teams really struggled to make any noise in the playoffs for the longest time, but they stuck with it and were rewarded. I will acknowledge that the Flames do not have a Heiskanen or ROR though.

I still wouldn't be moving any futures, unless it's for a legitimate #1 C, like a Barkov or Point.

Overall if you look at the rosters of STL or any of DAL, VEG or TBL you'll notice that they are overall bigger teams. The Bolts needed size and addded Maroon and Bogosian. Not knowing what going to happen with the new season one thing we do know is, it's going to be alot like these playoffs with a somewhat condensed schedule, the team needs to get a bit bigger if they want to make any noise during the next playoffs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

see. I don’t see any resemblance to any of those teams and also feel like @flames-fan-in-jets-land has a point about being able to keep up with the lack of size. I think it has always been that way. But I am one of the only ones who thinks it. I just can’t see a team winning the Cup without some size and bite in the lineup. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

see. I don’t see any resemblance to any of those teams and also feel like @flames-fan-in-jets-land has a point about being able to keep up with the lack of size. I think it has always been that way. But I am one of the only ones who thinks it. I just can’t see a team winning the Cup without some size and bite in the lineup. 

I don't agree with it, but if the Flames end up adding, then that's the mindset of the GM/Ownership.

There is a little bit of logic to that thinking, how many times were we told Ovi wasn't a winner? I don't see the Flames as a future cup contender, but maybe the front office thinks they are

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

No, I've had that mindset ever since the team started getting smaller. Even a guy like Mangi who plays well above his weight class can only do that so much until it starts wearing on him. The FA list doesnt look too promising so to find a RHS with size that isnt an over aged anchor would have to be traded for. And that wont be cheap.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don't agree with it, but if the Flames end up adding, then that's the mindset of the GM/Ownership.

There is a little bit of logic to that thinking, how many times were we told Ovi wasn't a winner? I don't see the Flames as a future cup contender, but maybe the front office thinks they are

I realize it's not an exact science .. but when all is said and done , we were one blocked shot away from taking out the team that, barring a miracle , is going to the finals .

Essentially we were  Hamonic away.. 

U can question their path to this point , but Vegas is no slouch 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

I realize it's not an exact science .. but when all is said and done , we were one blocked shot away from taking out the team that, barring a miracle , is going to the finals .

Essentially we were  Hamonic away.. 

U can question their path to this point , but Vegas is no slouch 

Some times, the better team loses. Dallas is not a cup contender team on paper or on the ice, but a bit of puck luck and a hot goalie can be all you need sometimes.

5 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Some times, the better team loses. Dallas is not a cup contender team on paper or on the ice, but a bit of puck luck and a hot goalie can be all you need sometimes.

The best team always wins in a best of 7 playoff series.

10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Missing a few pieces.

The problem in doing a rebuild is that the older core players are the ones that would remain.

Gio - M-NTC

Backlund - NTX

Lucic - NMC

If you can't stip away those players, the rebuild maks no sense.

Sometimes building a winning team is just a stoke of luck, where you get the right players at the right time.

Contender is difficult for any team to maintain.

Vegas went all in, but I think their window may start to close.

STL is going to have a setback.

I'm all for improving the team, but not at any cost.

Murray may be an upgrade, but not for a 1st.

OEL might work out, but do we need a LD if we don't trade Gio?

For that money, take a big run at Pietrangelo.

A goalie, a RD and a decent RW.

Maybe we need to trade Johnny, but he is not the problem.

The role he was put in was.

If we managed to get a top 6 C for Gaudreau, might as well trade Bennett for a RD.

As much as we need him for the playoffs, we don't need him as a winger.

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Missing a few pieces.

The problem in doing a rebuild is that the older core players are the ones that would remain.

Gio - M-NTC

Backlund - NTX

Lucic - NMC

That's a catch 22 though.  They would only remain if they can win.  If we are rebuilding then they won't remain.  

Case in point, Lucic waived to leave Edmonton.  They weren't winning.  It wasn't fun.  Why stay if not fun?  

Gio and Backlund would leave if they feel they have a chance at the Cup.  They've never won the Cup before.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

That's a catch 22 though.  They would only remain if they can win.  If we are rebuilding then they won't remain.  

Case in point, Lucic waived to leave Edmonton.  They weren't winning.  It wasn't fun.  Why stay if not fun?  

Gio and Backlund would leave if they feel they have a chance at the Cup.  They've never won the Cup before.

Very difficult to trade Lucic with the NMC and expansion coming up.

I fear that neither Backs nor Giop would waive, since they would probably stay in Calgary regardless of the winning situation.

Home to them.

Gio might consider moving to TO, but that's just a guess.

Young family.

18 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don't see it either, but at the same time the NHL landscape has changed in recent years. St Louis wasn't a cup contender but they got hot at the right time. As you point out Washington was the team that "couldn't win the big one" until they did, and now we have Dallas a team that on paper (and in their play) doesn't look like a traditional cup winner on the verge of getting there. The line between winning and losing as never been finer in my experience.

So while I don't see it and it's not my personal opinion I can see why management sees it the other way. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Very difficult to trade Lucic with the NMC and expansion coming up.

I fear that neither Backs nor Giop would waive, since they would probably stay in Calgary regardless of the winning situation.

Home to them.

Gio might consider moving to TO, but that's just a guess.

Young family.

I feel like expansion is the perfect time to move Lucic.

Seattle would take him much like Vegas took on David Clarksons contract.

It will cost us though.

6 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

I feel like expansion is the perfect time to move Lucic.

Seattle would take him much like Vegas took on David Clarksons contract.

It will cost us though.

It's a mistake to pay to trade him.

We got him for a reason.

If he waives his NMC and Seattle takes him, so be it.

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's a mistake to pay to trade him.

We got him for a reason.

If he waives his NMC and Seattle takes him, so be it.

Oh I agree 100 percent, don't get me wrong lol.