The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Calgary is going to be linked to all goalies so I don't think we can read into these rumors so much. 

I like Markstrom and think he is a rare number 1 goalie in this league so to acquire him for only cap space/money is appealing. i don't really like a long term deal (ie more than 3-4 years) but the target make sense but I'm also not paying him 6mill AAV or above so if he wants that then hard no. 

Have said that if the plan is to really try and win the majority of this group, which it sure sounds like it is, then a 5 year deal also is not terrible. I think the last year or two could hurt but by then Gio and Lucic are off the books and Backlund would either be done or only have a year left. So there is certainly flexibility there to minimize the risk. The other advantage is given Markstrom didn't really become a number one until recently this isn't a situation where he's been overworked since a young age. 

One of the things that gives me pause with Markstrom is his save% when up by 1 goal, it's .887, for comparison Rittich was at .908 and Talbot was at .940. I know Vancouver wasn't very good defensively, but that save % is a bit concerning for a team that is already prone to mental lapses as it is.

As I look more into goalie analytics, score effects seems to be a key area to look at.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

One of the things that gives me pause with Markstrom is his save% when up by 1 goal, it's .887, for comparison Rittich was at .908 and Talbot was at .940. I know Vancouver wasn't very good defensively, but that save % is a bit concerning for a team that is already prone to mental lapses as it is.

As I look more into goalie analytics, score effects seems to be a key area to look at.

A good and interesting point for sure. I do like score effects and think they are valid but with goalies it is so hard to separate their individual play and impact vs the team in from of them. However, that does make sense as I know the buzz on Markstrom is that he is still prone to some soft goals from time to time. 

One of the things I like with Markstrom is his numbers are pretty good in almost all categories and yet he had the 8th highest expected goals against and 11th highest high danger chances against over 60 min with multiple goalies form the same team ranking in front of him. They are a bit of a media darling right now, but the Canucks were a bottom 5 team defensively this season and Markstrom saved them. 

But there is enough with Markstrom to give me pause with just giving him whatever he wants. It needs to be the right deal and if he is asking too much I'm fine moving on to Keumper or even Talbot if it came to that. 

I kind of wish they’d just go Talbot. They know him. He looked good in the playoffs aside from 1 period. But I think if the team could clean up their game, even just playing out a period to the end at times could change a lot of outcomes.

Talbot actually had better SV% for most of his career than Markstrom, and a better GAA. He's much better statistically if you exclude his 2018-2019 season which he split between PHI and EDM.  It's a tough call though, since Markstrom is a few years younger. It all depends on the contract; I would rather sign a 30 year old goalie to a 4 year deal than a 33 year old goalie to that same deal. A two year deal though? I might put my money on Talbot.

So Buf just acquired Eric Staal for their number 2 center. That probably cuts any interest in Monahan as a trade target. Weird trade, they also cut down on cap spending to boot.

If the Flames want to bring back Talbot it is not the worst option but I also understand why they want to search for an upgrade. IMO, Talbot is a fine goalie but is not the type of goalie that you win a cup with. He makes the regular saves fine, he is a really solid blocking goalie but he doesn't have the speed or athleticism to make the big saves you need to steal game or steal a series. This shows up in his high danger chance Save % which generally is quite low. He makes the saves you want a goalie to make thought and there is something to be said for that, but unless you have a near flawless team in front of him I don't see him winning you a cup. 

As a fall back plan it can work, but I also understand shopping for an upgrade especially given Talbot's age. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

So Buf just acquired Eric Staal for their number 2 center. That probably cuts any interest in Monahan as a trade target. Weird trade, they also cut down on cap spending to boot.

Also acquiring a center with only 1 year left on his contract would also seem to signal that Cozens is not someone they are interested in trading. 

Really nice move from the Sabres. 

9 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

The more removed we are from our season and the more we are learning about the shape other teams are in financially the less I'm inclined to want to move Monahan.  I don't know if the futures trades are out there based on teams either being deep down the middle, lack of cap space or tied to an internal budget.  If there is a move it's the ones like the Dumba suggestion which I just feel are a step backwards.

7 minutes ago, sak22 said:

The more removed we are from our season and the more we are learning about the shape other teams are in financially the less I'm inclined to want to move Monahan.  I don't know if the futures trades are out there based on teams either being deep down the middle, lack of cap space or tied to an internal budget.  If there is a move it's the ones like the Dumba suggestion which I just feel are a step backwards.

Ya, it is looking like there aren't going to be many options. Or I could be wrong and there will be a lot. But I don't know if the Flames will be able to minus salary without taking any in. It looks like it would only be a 1 for 1 deal, even contracts. Although, it could be a time that the Flames could add a higher priced D, as a team could be willing to unload someone. I just don't think it's time to trade away all of the draft picks. 

That Staal trade is a great move for Buffalo. Not sure what MIN was looking to do, they need C and Staal was the best they have.

On another topic, why do I feel like the Flames are gonna move a 1st and 2 2nd’s for Dumba..

I’m kidding, but wouldn’t be surprised if they really want him 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

That Staal trade is a great move for Buffalo. Not sure what MIN was looking to do, they need C and Staal was the best they have.

No clue, Evason was an assistant in Washington when MJ was young, perhaps he was a fan then.  Only thing I can think of for why Minny did it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Also acquiring a center with only 1 year left on his contract would also seem to signal that Cozens is not someone they are interested in trading. 

Really nice move from the Sabres. 

I was thinking the same thing.  Staal buys time for Cozens to develop without being rushed.  This trade signals they will keep Cozens and be patient building.  

This would be my Dumba trade offer

To MIN

Monahan

Ryan

19th overall 

To CGY

Dumba

Kunin

9th overall

Monahan is the best player in the trade, but the Flames get 2 solid NHLers and end up selecting in the top 10 of the draft. Ryan is sent to MIN to make the cap a wash, I would imagine Kunin is signed for 3 or less. That allows the Flames to maintain a little breathing room and make additional moves, Ryan at 3.1 in a bottom 6 role is more luxury than necessity.

So the Flames end up with a RHD with 3 years of control, a RW that plays with some jam like Mang and Dube and they get to jump 10 spots on draft day, giving them a chance at selecting a Lundell/Askarov/Sanderson.

Seems to be more than a few people connecting Monahan and Dumba.

I dont like it, nor get it, or there would have to be a pretty significant piece coming back in that deal with Dumba because on the surface, or 1 for 1, that’s a really bad trade for the flames. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Seems to be more than a few people connecting Monahan and Dumba. There would have to be a pretty significant piece coming back in that deal with Dumba because on the surface, or 1 for 1, that’s a really bad trade for the flames. 

do you have links to rumours?

19 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

do you have links to rumours?

It’s less rumors and more media/writers making the link. Fan 960 talked about it a lot and then a few writers on twitter speculated. 

FWIW, Lebrun (who normally is pretty connected to the flames) is saying Winnipeg is who he is hearing. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Can we even make the playoffs if Backlund is our #1 Center?  

I don’t think it ends up being Backlund. I think it ends up Lindholm.

unless they go:

Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm

Hall, Bennett, Gaudreau 

Dube, Ryan, Mangiapane 
Lucic, Gawain, Reider

i don’t think I like that scenario.

Hall, Lindholm, Tkachuk

Gaudreau, Bennett, Dube

Lucic, Backlund, Mangiapane 

Quine, Ryan, Reider

I’ve been thinking about our goalie situation and had a thought. What about a trade with Vegas?

Gaudreau and Rittich for Fleury and Glass

Salaries are close to a wash, which allows them to sign Lehner, and gets us a young RH C or RW not to mention a more than capable goalie for the next 3 years until Wolf and or Zagidulin is ready. They also get Johnny who can go and “not” be the guy on an already very deep forward group.

2 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

I’ve been thinking about our goalie situation and had a thought. What about a trade with Vegas?

Salaries are close to a wash, which allows them to sign Lehner, and gets us a young RH C or RW not to mention a more than capable goalie for the next 3 years until Wolf and or Zagidulin is ready. They also get Johnny who can go and “not” be the guy on an already very deep forward group.

You want to make a strong team stronger?

One in our division?

No thanks.

In division trades should cost Vegas a lot more to help them out of the MAF situation.

Would need to be at least Karlsson + MAF, and even then I don't want to help them out.

2 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

I get your thinking, but Fleury has been in steep decline the last two years, and with two years @ $7m left on his deal, and him being 35 years old, it would be a pass from me.

There are several very good goalies available, I think we will find a strong starter this fall.

So it sure seems like the priority is getting a starting goalie and a top 4 defenseman, which makes sense when you look at who they have signed for next season.

One guy I have seen as being available, that makes sense as a target to me, since we aren't going for a rebuild, is Kris Letang. He is a RHS D, who is an elite PP QB, he makes $7.25m for two more years, which lines up perfectly with the rest of the core.

With Pittsburgh looking to cut salary how does a Letang and Murray trade work? I think we would have to give up our 1st, which initially gives me pause, but if we are going for it lets go for it. I think we can also send Kylington.

How about:

To Calgary:

Kris Letang

Matt Murray

Jared McCann

To Pittsburgh:

Johnny Gaudreau

Oliver Kylington

2020 19th Overall

Not sure if that is equal or not.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So it sure seems like the priority is getting a starting goalie and a top 4 defenseman, which makes sense when you look at who they have signed for next season.

One guy I have seen as being available, that makes sense as a target to me, since we aren't going for a rebuild, is Kris Letang. He is a RHS D, who is an elite PP QB, he makes $7.25m for two more years, which lines up perfectly with the rest of the core.

With Pittsburgh looking to cut salary how does a Letang and Murray trade work? I think we would have to give up our 1st, which initially gives me pause, but if we are going for it lets go for it. I think we can also send Kylington.

How about:

To Calgary:

Kris Letang

Matt Murray

Jared McCann

To Pittsburgh:

Johnny Gaudreau

Oliver Kylington

2020 19th Overall

Not sure if that is equal or not.

Gotta say no to Letang.  For that price theres alot younger and better options. Plus he's got an 18 team NMC.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

You want to make a strong team stronger?

One in our division?

No thanks.

In division trades should cost Vegas a lot more to help them out of the MAF situation.

Would need to be at least Karlsson + MAF, and even then I don't want to help them out.

To your question, no I don’t want to make a team in our division stronger. I also don’t want to trade gaudreau for nothing. Which I am afraid of happening. My thought process was gaudreau for glass, similar to a nieuwendyk for Iginla and in an attempt to upgrade our goalie situation swapped goalies. I do not want to pay prospects and or picks for a goalie at this point in time. And I don’t see us landing a UFA this off season.
I will agree that I would love to see Vegas add to this trade, but I don’t know how much salary we can add to it coming back. In my scenario I would still hold on to o signing Hall in the off season as well. In a perfect world we move Ryan.

Tkachuk - Bennett - Lindholm

Hall - Monahan - Glass

Mangiapane - Backlund - Dube

Lucic - Gawdin - Reider or

Lucic - Ryan - Peltier / Gawdin