The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

51 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So it sure seems like the priority is getting a starting goalie and a top 4 defenseman, which makes sense when you look at who they have signed for next season.

One guy I have seen as being available, that makes sense as a target to me, since we aren't going for a rebuild, is Kris Letang. He is a RHS D, who is an elite PP QB, he makes $7.25m for two more years, which lines up perfectly with the rest of the core.

With Pittsburgh looking to cut salary how does a Letang and Murray trade work? I think we would have to give up our 1st, which initially gives me pause, but if we are going for it lets go for it. I think we can also send Kylington.

How about:

To Calgary:

Kris Letang

Matt Murray

Jared McCann

To Pittsburgh:

Johnny Gaudreau

Oliver Kylington

2020 19th Overall

Not sure if that is equal or not.

There is a reason he will be on his 4th team once Pittsburgh moves him, from what I've heard I do not want.

• Like 1

Fleury should have negative trade value. I don't have any interest personally but if you do they should be giving you an asset to take that contract. 

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

There is a reason he will be on his 4th team once Pittsburgh moves him, from what I've heard I do not want.

Thats always been something I look into when I see off season rumors. It it was apparent when Neal came why he'd been on so many teams in such a short period.  The same could be made this time around concerning Lehner. 

Interesting food for thought is the Athletic today came out with their top 20 trade big board candidates today and there was a Flame on it.

Noah Hanifin. Not tied to any team or individual move just that his name is out there

It would seem to me that the Flames have soured on Hanifin.

If I'm not mistaken, he was part of the proposal put forth for Hall. 

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Interesting food for thought is the Athletic today came out with their top 20 trade big board candidates today and there was a Flame on it.

Noah Hanifin. Not tied to any team or individual move just that his name is out there

I thought he looked great with Andersson.  He can hold down a 2nd pair with Andersson at a fair price.  Not sure why we would want to trade him now.

Just now, The_People1 said:

I thought he looked great with Andersson.  He can hold down a 2nd pair with Andersson at a fair price.  Not sure why we would want to trade him now.

I think they see Valimaki as being ready for top 4 minutes next year. Add in Kylington on the left side and that Mackey is said to be pretty much ready to play next year. Moving Hanifin and going with Valimaki and Kylington/Mackey on the left side clears a bunch of cap space that can be allocated elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I think the idea is that Valamaki might get to that level quick, if he can just stay healthy. If they were able to bring a top pair D to replace Gio on the top pair then it goes:

xxx

Gio

Valamaki

even just taking Hanifin out maybe they can go:

Gio

Valamaki

Kylington

that allows the Flames to move money around for the right side.?

30 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think they see Valimaki as being ready for top 4 minutes next year. Add in Kylington on the left side and that Mackey is said to be pretty much ready to play next year. Moving Hanifin and going with Valimaki and Kylington/Mackey on the left side clears a bunch of cap space that can be allocated elsewhere.

Based on 24 games though?  Valimaki is top 4 ready?

I think we discovered a solid workable pairing in Hanifin-Andersson during the playoffs.  I'm starting to think the guy to move is Valimaki who would/could net us the same as Hanifin... Maybe more. 

I don't know enough about Mackey so I'm not sure he starts in the top 6 next season.  

Obviously, my first choice of player to move is Giordano.  But he probably gets us very little... 3rd round pick or something like that.

35 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think the idea is that Valamaki might get to that level quick, if he can just stay healthy. If they were able to bring a top pair D to replace Gio on the top pair then it goes:

xxx

Gio

Valamaki

even just taking Hanifin out maybe they can go:

Gio

Valamaki

Kylington

that allows the Flames to move money around for the right side.?

Just trade Giordano.

42 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think the same reason you look to keep him are why he's attractive in trade, especially in a flat cap because his contract is pretty good. I think you also potentially can find a team that still sees some upside and maybe you get more. I think it's pretty clear Hanifin is what he is at this point but I think he's close enough to his draft pedigree that you might find a team that pays you for the upside so that makes sense to explore. Sell higher rather than sell lower which is more common for this franchise. 

I'm also in the cap that believes Valimaki can take that spot. Hanifin-Anderson were good but I point to Andersson more there. he's been good with almost everyone he's played with. 

I think Hanifin is staying put for now. Defensive depth is important, and assuming Valimaki can step right in and be a top 4 this season is risky.  Hanifin looked good alongside Anderson; Hamonic sitting out the playoffs may have been the best thing to happen to Hanifin.

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think the same reason you look to keep him are why he's attractive in trade, especially in a flat cap because his contract is pretty good. I think you also potentially can find a team that still sees some upside and maybe you get more. I think it's pretty clear Hanifin is what he is at this point but I think he's close enough to his draft pedigree that you might find a team that pays you for the upside so that makes sense to explore. Sell higher rather than sell lower which is more common for this franchise. 

I'm also in the cap that believes Valimaki can take that spot. Hanifin-Anderson were good but I point to Andersson more there. he's been good with almost everyone he's played with. 

Of all the cost saving trades, or trades where we have decent depth, Hanifin seems to be the guy.

He's on a decent deal for a player with that many years of service.

I do think our depth on LD is better than everywhere other than LW.

I don't think they have soured on him, just that he has value in trade.

Easier to recover from losing a LD than say a top scoring LW.

I'm not saying don't move Gaudreau, just that you have to replace a lot more offense than with Hanifin.

I thought MTL made a good move for Edmunston.

Low value pick for his rights.

I'm not super high on him, but he is decent enough.

If we could somehow find a decent RD to go with Ras and Kylington/Yelesin.

I listed those three as possible RD, only because Yelesin is an obvious choice but has limited experience,

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

All the more reason not to move him. If he keeps progressing with Ras his value next year will be higher. Put Valimaki on the 3rd pair for a year to get a better idea where his cieling could be. By then he may be able to leapfrog Hanifin to 1st pair and bump Gio to 3rd for his last year or trade Hanifin then and move Gio to 2nd. I'm not too worried about who plays where on the left, the right side needs to be addressed properly.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Of all the cost saving trades, or trades where we have decent depth, Hanifin seems to be the guy.

He's on a decent deal for a player with that many years of service.

I do think our depth on LD is better than everywhere other than LW.

I don't think they have soured on him, just that he has value in trade.

Easier to recover from losing a LD than say a top scoring LW.

I'm not saying don't move Gaudreau, just that you have to replace a lot more offense than with Hanifin.

I thought MTL made a good move for Edmunston.

Low value pick for his rights.

I'm not super high on him, but he is decent enough.

If we could somehow find a decent RD to go with Ras and Kylington/Yelesin.

I listed those three as possible RD, only because Yelesin is an obvious choice but has limited experience,

Edmunson would have been an excellent pick up for the Flames, a stay-at-home big body thats not scared to use his size. Thats what the team need to target for the RD.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

All the more reason not to move him. If he keeps progressing with Ras his value next year will be higher. Put Valimaki on the 3rd pair for a year to get a better idea where his cieling could be. By then he may be able to leapfrog Hanifin to 1st pair and bump Gio to 3rd for his last year or trade Hanifin then and move Gio to 2nd. I'm not too worried about who plays where on the left, the right side needs to be addressed properly.

Or just trade Giordano this off season before he becomes a $6.75-mil 3rd pair D.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Or just trade Giordano this off season before he becomes a $6.75-mil 3rd pair D.

How good is Mackey?

If we could move on from both Giordano and Hanifin, I'd be okay with that. 

Valamaki

Mackey

Kylington

Lose a bit the next few years and get decent draft picks. 

That's a really inexperienced D though...

What if you can get Dumba + for Monahan? 

Valamaki, Dumba

Mackey, Andersson

Kylington, ? 

We draft a D this year? Button's vote on TSN seems to imply the Flames are going to need D. 

After winning the Messier award again this year, flames players saying they’ll go to battle with him as their leader, and his importance to the community, Gio isn’t going anywhere. At least from my perspective. 

That said, all this talk about our interest in OEL from Arizona has me scratching my head. I don’t want a 29 year old LD on an $8+ million contract until he’s 36. I figure OEL’s point production is what it is due to playing on the coyotes, and believe he could improve upon those numbers on the flames or another team, but I don’t like the contract, I don’t like the term, I don’t like that he’s LD, and I don’t want to gamble on him.

Kuemper looks good and could be a good target - tho I have sided more with the idea of holding on to Talbot instead if he comes in cheaper. Half our D is UFA and there’s an opportunity here to put something better in front of Rittich and Talbot for next season which will surely help their GAA and Save%. Reducing high danger opportunities will go a long way in helping our current tandem look better than they have. 

Then there’s also the expansion draft to consider... 

• Like 1

Bring back Engelland for 700K for 1 year at no cost and then pair him with Kylington. This will allow us to see Kylington's offensive talent and give us a little punch when needed. Ya Engelland is slow but he is a steady defensive RHD.

• Like 1

Buffalo just picked up Staal, so now they can trade Eichel to us for Monahan and JH since they’ve got their #2 C, and Mony + Johnny will help them target their owner-mandated $71mil maximum cap salary for the next season by getting 2 players (with more combined offensive output) for almost the same cost as Eichel alone. Do it BT. 

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

After winning the Messier award again this year, flames players saying they’ll go to battle with him as their leader, and his importance to the community, Gio isn’t going anywhere. At least from my perspective. 

That said, all this talk about our interest in OEL from Arizona has me scratching my head. I don’t want a 29 year old LD on an $8+ million contract until he’s 36. I figure OEL’s point production is what it is due to playing on the coyotes, and believe he could improve upon those numbers on the flames or another team, but I don’t like the contract, I don’t like the term, I don’t like that he’s LD, and I don’t want to gamble on him.

Kuemper looks good and could be a good target - tho I have sided more with the idea of holding on to Talbot instead if he comes in cheaper. Half our D is UFA and there’s an opportunity here to put something better in front of Rittich and Talbot for next season which will surely help their GAA and Save%. Reducing high danger opportunities will go a long way in helping our current tandem look better than they have. 

Then there’s also the expansion draft to consider... 

I don't think anone really believes we will trade him.

It's not wrong to suggest it to improve the team, though.

I don't specifically want OEL.

He's probably close to Gio and will not deteriorate quite as qucikly.

My target is Pietrangelo which is a pipe dream.

We'd be better off cap wise by a lesser name.

But a RD should be a target.

Vatanen, Barrie as long as the price makes sense.

Pysyk is a multi position option.

If a trade is going to be the way, then Montour or Manson.

Not sure of the costs, but anything reasonable not including picks

2 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I know some need to wait but I don't. I am completely comfortable with Valimaki getting top 4 mins next year because he is a stud and no doubt he can handle it. I think we forget this guy came into the Colorado series not playing many NHL games and was their best dman. He's ready. 

The downside to waiting for Valimaki to pass Hanifin is in that scenario it's very likely Hanifin's value will depreciate. I'm by no means suggesting they need to trade him right now but putting him out there makes perfect sense to me. 

18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I know some need to wait but I don't. I am completely comfortable with Valimaki getting top 4 mins next year because he is a stud and no doubt he can handle it. I think we forget this guy came into the Colorado series not playing many NHL games and was their best dman. He's ready. 

The downside to waiting for Valimaki to pass Hanifin is in that scenario it's very likely Hanifin's value will depreciate. I'm by no means suggesting they need to trade him right now but putting him out there makes perfect sense to me. 

My concern is he only got 24 regular and 2 post season games played and had 2 major injuries.. Ya he's considered top pair potential but between his injury history and inexperience I dont think it's fair to expect him to automatically slide into the top 4.

• Like 1

Here's how I see it.

The Flames are only trading Monahan if they believe that Lindholm can fill his role as a C. 

The Flames are only trading Hanifin if they believe that Valimaki can immediately step into a top 4 role.

Hanifin is an interesting one, his value stems from his cap hit and term. It's very manageable for a top 4 D in a flat cap world. I'd call VAN, they were really interested in him in 2018 and they have an aging blueline. Hanifin for Boeser makes sense to me, both flawed players but fill needs for both clubs. Hanifin having 4 years of term compared to Boeser's 2, should appeal to VAN.