The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I wonder if Columbus is really looking at possibly moving Jones

IF that case should try to package Gaudreau and Hanifin for Jones and J Anderson

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

There maybe zero UFA's signed on day 1, maybe zero the first week. It's looking like next season will start with no paying fans in 30 empty buildings, the league/ owners will be bleeding millions if that is the case. Many owners may have already closed their purse strings all together and plan to ask the players union for a scaled approach rebate on salaries to offset the losses. These are unchartered waters atm.

Thanks for those.

Edm has Koskinen at $4.5 x 2 yrs.

MIN has Dubnyk at $4.33 x 1yr.

SJ has Jones at $5.75 x 4yr.

CAR has Reimer at $3.4 x 1yr plus Mrazek at $3.1 x 1yr.

COL has Grubauer at $3.33 x 1yr plus Francouz at 2.0 x 2yr. 

CGY, CHI, BUF and VAN would appear to be the front line leaders on having #1 goalie money available.

I don't know about VAN.

14m available to re-sign Toffoli, Virtanen, Stetcher (?) and Tanev.

And a goalie.

Next year Hughes and Pettey

Good luck with that.

What if we use Backlund as trade bait. IMO Lindholm at center can do all that Backlund can.

Sign Hall(7.5). Sign Pietrangelo(8.5) Sign Markstrom(4.5).

To Winnipeg:

Backlund

To Calgary:

Pionk

To Ottawa:

Ryan

To Calgary:

4th

Leaves us with....

Hall(7.5) Monahan(6.375) Tkatchuk (7)

Gaudreau(6.75) Lindholm (4.85) Mangiapane(3)

Dube(770k) Bennett(2.5) Lucic(5.25)

Reider(1.2) Gawdin(900k) Phillips (700k)

Gio(6.75) Pietrangelo(8.5)
Hanifin(4.95) Andersson (4.5)
Valimaki (900k) Pionk(3)

Markstrom (4.5)

Rittich (2.75)

Total cap: 82,020,000

4 minutes ago, Sobieit said:

What if we use Backlund as trade bait. IMO Lindholm at center can do all that Backlund can.

Sign Hall(7.5). Sign Pietrangelo(8.5) Sign Markstrom(4.5).

To Winnipeg:

Backlund

To Calgary:

Pionk

To Ottawa:

Ryan

To Calgary:

4th

Leaves us with....

Hall(7.5) Monahan(6.375) Tkatchuk (7)

Gaudreau(6.75) Lindholm (4.85) Mangiapane(3)

Dube(770k) Bennett(2.5) Lucic(5.25)

Reider(1.2) Gawdin(900k) Phillips (700k)

Gio(6.75) Pietrangelo(8.5)
Hanifin(4.95) Andersson (4.5)
Valimaki (900k) Pionk(3)

Markstrom (4.5)

Rittich (2.75)

Total cap: 82,020,000

You are about $500k over the cap. 

I doubt the Jets move Pionk as he was possibly their best defenseman last year and he is on a great deal.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

You are about $500k over the cap. 

I doubt the Jets move Pionk as he was possibly their best defenseman last year and he is on a great deal.

Right haha got in my head 83mill.  Maybe true on Pionk.  I guess my point would be to trade Backlund for a young RHS D and a pick.... that would have us under the cap.

Treliving gave a NTC to Backlund, only one I know of him giving out. As an A on the team and what he brings to the team for stability, I just don’t see him moving.

Due to Covid, I don’t think Monahan’s m-NTC has kicked in yet. By October though that changes a lot. Gaudreau has a m-ntc in 2021-2022.

Giordano also has m-NTC so harder to trade.

So for asset management, with respect to team control, it makes sense to move Monahan this week and Gaudreau within a year. 

Giordano has a 19 team list so I think if you can move him for a good return, you consider it. 

Honestly the only good cap control contracts signed for the Flames are Andersson, Hanifin, Dube, Valimaki, Lindholm, Bennett. Tkachuk is a decent contract, but at 7 mil it isn’t great for cap. Any current or upcoming trade clauses take contracts out of cap control (Only problem with Backlund, issue for me with Monahan, Giordano, Lucic and soon Gaudreau). Ryan is at least a mil overpriced, so is Rittich (should be closer to 2 mil as a 1B or backup).

Honestly for best benefits business wise moving forward, I think players who should move out are Gaudreau, Monahan, Ryan, Giordano maybe Rittich.

From a loyal fan point of view, those are no go moves, but good business. Gaudreau and Monahan both get about what they should, but in UFA in the next 2-3 years they will be looking for more, likely in the 8 mil or more range. Tkachuk, as well in 2. Bennett, Valimaki and Dube next year.

So contract wise, it makes sense to try and get some longer signings done this year at current costs (Petro, Markstrom, Hall etc. While moving out future expense contracts while you can.

If you can grab someone like a Dubois or Bjorkstrand out of CBJ, Kyrou or Sundqvist out of St.Louis, Bowey out of Detroit, Jokiharju Montour Reinhart or Olofsson from BUF, Severson Zachary or Hischier from Jersey, or players along those lines with trades then you are making the team better. 

Backlund, Lucic, Hall, Pietrangelo would be Solid Vets for leadership, Hanifin, Bennett, Lindholm are young but have experience as do some targets.

The team would instantly gain contract control, fill up with young talent and be set for 5+ years. So while trading 5 pieces considered core may not be a full blowup, with as many empty spots as there are would completely change the culture on the team while staying competitive at least, if not pushing for more.

Hall Dubois Bjorkstrand / Reinhart 

Tkachuk Backlund Lindholm 

Mangiapane Bennett Kyrou / Sundqvist

Lucic Zacha Dube

Hanifin Pietrangelo 

Valimaki Andersson 

?? Jokiharju 

Markstrom

??

I would see this as younger and higher skill with more size. Just some examples of types of players I would look at. Don’t have trade details, didn’t calculate salary, just considering types of players but should be possible.

15 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Treliving gave a NTC to Backlund, only one I know of him giving out. As an A on the team and what he brings to the team for stability, I just don’t see him moving.

Due to Covid, I don’t think Monahan’s m-NTC has kicked in yet. By October though that changes a lot. Gaudreau has a m-ntc in 2021-2022.

Giordano also has m-NTC so harder to trade.

So for asset management, with respect to team control, it makes sense to move Monahan this week and Gaudreau within a year. 

Giordano has a 19 team list so I think if you can move him for a good return, you consider it. 

Honestly the only good cap control contracts signed for the Flames are Andersson, Hanifin, Dube, Valimaki, Lindholm, Bennett. Tkachuk is a decent contract, but at 7 mil it isn’t great for cap. Any current or upcoming trade clauses take contracts out of cap control (Only problem with Backlund, issue for me with Monahan, Giordano, Lucic and soon Gaudreau). Ryan is at least a mil overpriced, so is Rittich (should be closer to 2 mil as a 1B or backup).

Honestly for best benefits business wise moving forward, I think players who should move out are Gaudreau, Monahan, Ryan, Giordano maybe Rittich.

From a loyal fan point of view, those are no go moves, but good business. Gaudreau and Monahan both get about what they should, but in UFA in the next 2-3 years they will be looking for more, likely in the 8 mil or more range. Tkachuk, as well in 2. Bennett, Valimaki and Dube next year.

So contract wise, it makes sense to try and get some longer signings done this year at current costs (Petro, Markstrom, Hall etc. While moving out future expense contracts while you can.

If you can grab someone like a Dubois or Bjorkstrand out of CBJ, Kyrou or Sundqvist out of St.Louis, Bowey out of Detroit, Jokiharju Montour Reinhart or Olofsson from BUF, Severson Zachary or Hischier from Jersey, or players along those lines with trades then you are making the team better. 

Backlund, Lucic, Hall, Pietrangelo would be Solid Vets for leadership, Hanifin, Bennett, Lindholm are young but have experience as do some targets.

The team would instantly gain contract control, fill up with young talent and be set for 5+ years. So while trading 5 pieces considered core may not be a full blowup, with as many empty spots as there are would completely change the culture on the team while staying competitive at least, if not pushing for more.

Hall Dubois Bjorkstrand / Reinhart 

Tkachuk Backlund Lindholm 

Mangiapane Bennett Kyrou / Sundqvist

Lucic Zacha Dube

Hanifin Pietrangelo 

Valimaki Andersson 

?? Jokiharju 

Markstrom

??

I would see this as younger and higher skill with more size. Just some examples of types of players I would look at. Don’t have trade details, didn’t calculate salary, just considering types of players but should be possible.

I don't really get why Backlund is so untouchable yet we are willing to trade Monahan just like that.   

Backlund is 6 years older.... and only paid a million less.... 

Honestly if you told me we were trading a center I really hope its Backlund before Monahan.  Monahan is the superior player and he is younger, both by a significant margin.

It depends on the route the Flames want to go... but IMO Backlund is actually the most expendable piece to upgrade other areas that need improvement if management wants to give this core another shot....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sobieit said:

I don't really get why Backlund is so untouchable yet we are willing to trade Monahan just like that.   

Backlund is 6 years older.... and only paid a million less.... 

Honestly if you told me we were trading a center I really hope its Backlund before Monahan.  Monahan is the superior player and he is younger, both by a significant margin.

It depends on the route the Flames want to go... but IMO Backlund is actually the most expendable piece to upgrade other areas that need improvement if management wants to give this core another shot....

It's because of the NTC.  Backlund can decide where to go.

I think it's actually very debatable that Monahan is the superior player. I can make the argument that trading Monahan does not move the Flames backwards at all, and pending the return, I could build a case that the Flames could improve by trading Monahan. I cannot make that case for Backlund.

He's just going to remain criminally underrated by this fan base and that's ok but people continue to miss all the little things Backlund does for this team. They do not have a center on their roster that is capable of filling his role in the short term and if the Flames want to try and keep building a winner Backlund is a must keep. A faster path to a rebuild would be to move Backlund and then watch the Flames centers struggle all year, and that's coming from someone who still believes Bennett can be a center at the NHL level. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think it's actually very debatable that Monahan is the superior player. I can make the argument that trading Monahan does not move the Flames backwards at all, and pending the return, I could build a case that the Flames could improve by trading Monahan. I cannot make that case for Backlund.

He's just going to remain criminally underrated by this fan base and that's ok but people continue to miss all the little things Backlund does for this team. They do not have a center on their roster that is capable of filling his role in the short term and if the Flames want to try and keep building a winner Backlund is a must keep. A faster path to a rebuild would be to move Backlund and then watch the Flames centers struggle all year, and that's coming from someone who still believes Bennett can be a center at the NHL level. 

Monahan has the finish.  Backlund has the everything else.  For sure Backlund is the better all around player but at the same time, scoring is the hardest thing to do in the entire game.  

But considering age and stuff I would move Backlund first.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don't want to underrate Backlund.  I think he is a very important player and a very good one.  I think he is fantastic as a #2 center and this is where he belongs... but thats his ceiling.

That is where I see the separation, we have seen Monahan play as a number 1, top 30 center in the league, and IMO this is still true.  I am not saying Backlund isn't important because I think we need to keep both players.

If we are going to trade a center I would try to float Backlund before Monahan and see what the return is. If the return for Monahan is way better then what we would get for Backlund then maybe I would say trade Monahan otherwise it doesn't make sense to me. 

42 minutes ago, Sobieit said:

I don't want to underrate Backlund.  I think he is a very important player and a very good one.  I think he is fantastic as a #2 center and this is where he belongs... but thats his ceiling.

That is where I see the separation, we have seen Monahan play as a number 1, top 30 center in the league, and IMO this is still true.  I am not saying Backlund isn't important because I think we need to keep both players.

If we are going to trade a center I would try to float Backlund before Monahan and see what the return is. If the return for Monahan is way better then what we would get for Backlund then maybe I would say trade Monahan otherwise it doesn't make sense to me. 

And this is the part I would challenge, have we? We've seen him produce numbers at that level, albeit alongside one of the best offensive producing wingers in the entire league, but I think center is more than that. Monahan hasn't really played against high end competition, he's gotten favorable starts and he hasn't done much in the two way game the last several years, and of course what is damning is how his numbers drop when he's away from Gaudreau. The reason why I think Backlund is more valuable is he makes players around him better and I think that's a criminally underrated skill set for a center and a skill we've yet to see out of Monahan. Is it there? perhaps and I'd love to believe it is but at the same time it's really rare that a player Monahan's age suddenly figures it out after this much time. 

This isn't to put down Monahan, he brings an elite skill set and it is one that is hard to find for sure but I do think  you could find a center that could score at similar (but lesser rates) alongside Gaudreau and give you more in the other aspects of the game. I don't think you are going to find a center like Backlund very easily who brings out the best in other players. 

52 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Monahan has the finish.  Backlund has the everything else.  For sure Backlund is the better all around player but at the same time, scoring is the hardest thing to do in the entire game.  

But considering age and stuff I would move Backlund first.

Lots to consider and really it all depends on what the Flames want to accomplish in the next few years. My only point is that if he goal is to continue to win with the majority of this group then I don't think you can move Backlund. 

Both moves can make sense it just depends on what your goal is but to me it makes sense why trade proposal are more geared toward moving Monahan instead of Backlund given what it appears the Flames want to accomplish here. 

And to clarify I'm not necessary advocating moving either player as in both cases I don't think the replacement is on the roster. Would come down to what you can get via trade but I do think Monahan is worth a fair bit more. 

• Like 1

The trades have to make sense.

Gaudreau is mostly a target because he (supposedly) would like to play near home.

Improving the prospects by trading him makes some sense, but I doubt we get real value.

Monahan is more a question of improving the top line.

How does that work?

I'm all for trades that make sense.

If you trade Gaudreau for picks/prospects, then you need a replacement on LW.

Signing Hall makes some sense to replace some of the offense.

Trading Hanifin makes sense if you have a stud D coming in to take some of the load on RD.

If we were keen on getting Pietrangelo, then trading Hanifin opens up the roster a bit to allow Valimaki to play 18+ minutes.

Don't think that would be a bad thing.

Leaves us with Mackey, Kylington and Yelesin as choices for 3rd pair.

Not overly concerning, but it's also easier to pick up a cheap 3rd pairing guy if you need.

Hanifin should bring a young winger in return.

Markstrom related but also Vancovuer related. Looking at potentially losing 2 fairly key pieces from there team last year although I did read some rumors they are close on brining back Toffoli. Good example of why they remind me more of Edmonton in 16-17 and not the next Chicago that some seem to think during the playoffs. 

I don’t trade Backlund because as the Flames #2 C he and his line have been relied on heavily over the past few seasons to shut down the other teams’ best and still produce some offence.

Over the past 5 seasons, he has scored over 20 goals 3 times and might have done so again if not for shortened season. His offence numbers are just fine considering he is primarily expected to be defensively responsible.

Yes Monahan has more offence numbers, playing a primarily offence driven game with high skill line mates also focused on offence.

Now to re-iterate my post, I based player trades on what makes business sense, see dollars and control, both short and long term.

By trading players who have upper middle cap hits, 6+ that have or will soon have trade clauses or will expire within 2 years as UFA, you free up current and future cap space to use elsewhere. This is business only. Especially when players like Gaudreau and Monahan will be looking for big raises in a couple of years when other young guys like Tkachuk will also be negotiating a raise. Ryan is just too expensive to have on 4th line.

If you can lock up Hall and Pietrangelo for 5 years at 9 or less, you have longer contract control, especially if the cap goes up again in 3 years. Add a goalie like Markstrom or Lehner and you are maintaining a talent level to stay competitive for 5 years.

The additional sense comes from the returns from trades. Hopefully you noticed the types of suggestions I made. Young up and coming players in positions of need who have NHL experience, size and skill. I didn’t look at picks or prospects, these are all NHL roster players. The likes of Gaudreau and Monahan should bring back these types of players. Rittich, Ryan and Giordano might not bring back much, but there are always teams that will give something.

Of course this is all theoretical, and who knows if it is even possible, but it is from a business perspective, not emotional attachment to players or even hockey results.

• Like 1

Ultimately what trades and signings we make depend on how BT sees the team.  Does he see a competitor? In that case, the biggest name to move will likely be Hanifin for a RW, then signing a mid-range free agent to play top 4. Then we sign a goalie like Markstrom, and the team otherwise trots out the same squad behind them. We address our need for a middle six RW and a starting goalie, but are still thin on RD.

If he sees a team with some work, then he MUST make moves with an eye to 2021 and beyond. If JG is unlikely to sign here long term, better to move him now to improve for 2021. Maybe you move Monahan as well. It would be challenging, but a trade of Monahan for Dubois could work for both teams. Dubois is younger, but so far has less offensive pop than Monahan. He broke 60 points in 2018-2019, but was not on track to do so this season. CBS needs offense, and with their defense core, they could stand to give up a more well rounded player like Dubois for a more offense-first player like Monahan.  On top of that, the salaries are not likely to be too different between the two.  From the flames perspective, they give up some offense in order to push our compete window down the road a year or two.

We could also look to trade JG to Pittsburgh.  PIT has a long history of mortgaging their future for the present. Maybe a swap of JG for either Jarry or Murray plus Sam Poulin would be wise.  We get a potential starting goalie plus a very solid prospect in Poulin (scored 32 goals and 76 points and was plus 45 in just 46 games in the Q this season). Again, this probably pushes our compete window a year or two, but it gets us younger with a great upcoming talent. Not to mention it gives us just a bit more flexibility on the expansion draft next season. 

• Like 1

Based on rumors, and remembering they of course are just rumors, it does sound like the Flames are seeking an upgrade in net. Jtech took a look at this earlier but I wanted to run a 3 year comparison on some of the major goalie options the Flames are rumored to be after. I took a look at the major players and I wanted to find the trend over the 3 years. here is what I came up with with a few takeaways 

Few caveats: i excluded backups and i picked 3 years to find a longer trend. If you are curious Keumper and Lehner look better if you change it to 2 years but the rest of the goalies don't change much. Markstroms rankings improve slightly but the overall trend remains. The red are their rankings across the league. 

1 - Markstrom is not a guy who has had one really good year. He's consistently been one of the better starters in the league over the last 3 years. 

2 - The difference in these goalies is not great so prioritize Markstrom as he doesn't cost you assets to acquire. 

3 - While Talbot is a fine backup plan that's all he should be. His high danger % is concerning and it's tough for me to see a goalie winning a cup who just makes the saves he should. 

Goalie Analysis.PNG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Ultimately what trades and signings we make depend on how BT sees the team.  Does he see a competitor? In that case, the biggest name to move will likely be Hanifin for a RW, then signing a mid-range free agent to play top 4. Then we sign a goalie like Markstrom, and the team otherwise trots out the same squad behind them. We address our need for a middle six RW and a starting goalie, but are still thin on RD.

If he sees a team with some work, then he MUST make moves with an eye to 2021 and beyond. If JG is unlikely to sign here long term, better to move him now to improve for 2021. Maybe you move Monahan as well. It would be challenging, but a trade of Monahan for Dubois could work for both teams. Dubois is younger, but so far has less offensive pop than Monahan. He broke 60 points in 2018-2019, but was not on track to do so this season. CBS needs offense, and with their defense core, they could stand to give up a more well rounded player like Dubois for a more offense-first player like Monahan.  On top of that, the salaries are not likely to be too different between the two.  From the flames perspective, they give up some offense in order to push our compete window down the road a year or two.

We could also look to trade JG to Pittsburgh.  PIT has a long history of mortgaging their future for the present. Maybe a swap of JG for either Jarry or Murray plus Sam Poulin would be wise.  We get a potential starting goalie plus a very solid prospect in Poulin (scored 32 goals and 76 points and was plus 45 in just 46 games in the Q this season). Again, this probably pushes our compete window a year or two, but it gets us younger with a great upcoming talent. Not to mention it gives us just a bit more flexibility on the expansion draft next season. 

I really don’t mind trading the few now to make a better team in a year or two.  If you can get the right pieces and then end up signing Hall and Pietrangelo, along with a goalie, AND have our 1st rounder, that’s addition by subtraction right their (of course the adding in the futures plus adding some UFA for pay alone). 

The thing makes me feel the team can still vie for the playoffs without the big two is, they have some good depth pieces that might be able to take a step. Plus, for a bit the team relied on Tkachuk and Lindholm as the top 2 for a brief period, then Backlund stepped up.

Lets take into consideration trading away the Big2 and Signings:

Hall, Lindholm, 

Tkachuk, Backlund, Mangiapane

Dube, Bennett,

Lucic, Ryan, Reider

Quine or Gawdin

Do we have any Rooks looking to make a step up? You might even be able to keep Lindholm at RW if you go like this:

Tkachuk, Backlund, Mangiapane 

Hall, Bennett, Lindholm

Lucic, Ryan, Dube

Quine, Gawdin, Reider

That Backlund line works, but it kind of fails to get Tkachuk an offensive role. But Backs is great at pushing the puck forward and the fact he can go wide or high on shots really makes the offence seem less than they generate. I see Bennett similar to the way Backlund pushes play up ice, but only when he’s given the opportunity to play with players that can know where to be open on breakouts. That was evident with Dube and Lucic. I don’t want to gift him the 2nd C but I think having Lindholm as a RW forces him to be if you go that route. I just don’t see the doom I thought it could be if we traded the big2 on O. 

that's not taking into consideration that one of the deals or someone like Hanifin bringing a RW. There are options!

For me I’d like to also try build a heavier bottom 6 that can play. If Lindholm can play C in my trade away scenarios, then you could go back to Lucic, Bennett, Dube and even though i like Ryan now, I’d want a trade to make the 4th line bigger, or trade for or sign bigger wingers, guys with motors and a touch of skill. I like Reider but want a physical version of what he brings. Easier said than done. I wish Hathaway didn’t cost so much and ended up staying. 

On D I would go:

Giordano, Pietrangelo 

Valamaki, Andersson 

Kylington, Mackey

51 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If that's the Flames, I hope they run away after being refused.

No reject then accept the offer later.

Maybe it's the Oilers, since they weresn't willing to trade it for Murray.

Then again the Oilers have no 2nd.

I just think that Kuemper is going to be too expensive, especially within the same division. Calgary would love to get Kuemper, but I don't see the cost making sense, especially with Markstrom hitting the market.

Satoshi Nakamoto! It really makes me not trust this management group when they’re saying they’re looking to trade for a goalie (AGAIN!). 

if we give up a first, may as well give up. The future is Blockchained!

I am really thinking that Arizona is in for big changes, as they are headed for a rebuild and are looking to dump contracts. The other thing with Arizona's players is that I think they are going to be selling low on a lot of them. Tocchet is a great coach but his system doesn't allow for much offense or much creativity, so I think there are a bunch of offensive players there whose numbers are suffering from the system, not their ability.

Obviously Kuemper is the guy they will be selling high on.

At first I was really against OEL, but depending on the cost, I could get behind a trade for him. I think there is realistic chance that he rebounds once out of the desert. The term is the hard part, just like a Pietrangelo signing.

Another name I would consider depending on cost would be Phil Kessel. Now hear me out. I think his numbers took a hit in Arizona, but he can rebound in the right environment and with only 2 years left on his deal there is less risk. Now if we are going for it, adding Kessel onto a line with Gaudreau and Monahan, would really spark that offense, that being said that line would only get offensive zone situations because they are going to be terrible in their own end.

Alex Goligoski on a 1 year deal is a guy who checks a lot of boxes. He can play both sides. He is a lot like Brodie, but having him for 1 year at just under $5.5m makes a lot of sense.

Jason Demers and Jordan Oesterle also make sense as 3rd pairing guys on 1 year deals.

Of course adding a Schmaltz, Dvorak, Crouse, Garland or a Chychrun would be nice as well, but I think they will be less likely to move those guys and the price will be higher.

One guy I would take purely as a reclamation project is Christian Fischer. He is a guy in junior who looked like he has power forward potential but hasn't been able to put it together at the NHL level. RHS RW, 6'2" 214lbs. 

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Satoshi Nakamoto! It really makes me not trust this management group when they’re saying they’re looking to trade for a goalie (AGAIN!). 

if we give up a first, may as well give up. The future is Blockchained!

Animated GIF

Lets save doomsday for when it happens.  That person also tweeted this yesterday.  It's all fluff for now.