The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I am really thinking that Arizona is in for big changes, as they are headed for a rebuild and are looking to dump contracts. The other thing with Arizona's players is that I think they are going to be selling low on a lot of them. Tocchet is a great coach but his system doesn't allow for much offense or much creativity, so I think there are a bunch of offensive players there whose numbers are suffering from the system, not their ability.

Obviously Kuemper is the guy they will be selling high on.

At first I was really against OEL, but depending on the cost, I could get behind a trade for him. I think there is realistic chance that he rebounds once out of the desert. The term is the hard part, just like a Pietrangelo signing.

Another name I would consider depending on cost would be Phil Kessel. Now hear me out. I think his numbers took a hit in Arizona, but he can rebound in the right environment and with only 2 years left on his deal there is less risk. Now if we are going for it, adding Kessel onto a line with Gaudreau and Monahan, would really spark that offense, that being said that line would only get offensive zone situations because they are going to be terrible in their own end.

Alex Goligoski on a 1 year deal is a guy who checks a lot of boxes. He can play both sides. He is a lot like Brodie, but having him for 1 year at just under $5.5m makes a lot of sense.

Jason Demers and Jordan Oesterle also make sense as 3rd pairing guys on 1 year deals.

Of course adding a Schmaltz, Dvorak, Crouse, Garland or a Chychrun would be nice as well, but I think they will be less likely to move those guys and the price will be higher.

One guy I would take purely as a reclamation project is Christian Fischer. He is a guy in junior who looked like he has power forward potential but hasn't been able to put it together at the NHL level. RHS RW, 6'2" 214lbs. 

I would have some interest in Hinostroza and Fischer.

Fischer as a project, not sending much for him.

Hino as a possible depth re[placement for Ryan.

Not sure if we have the assets for those two, but they have the most interest to me.

They might want to avoid the arbitration with Hino.

Yesterday, TSN put out an article about trade bait and cap issues for individual teams and it got me thinking about an alternate possibility.

TSN mentioned that the Blues likely want to re-sign Pietrangelo but need cap space to do so. One trade bait piece they mentioned that could help clear some cap was Parayko. 

Parayko is a 27 year old 6’6 R shot RD with 18 goals each of the past 2 seasons and been a + player as well. He has 2 years left at 5.5 per as cap hit.

As he would be used to free up cap space, the acquisition cost would be lower or at least should be. Blues would need to take back little to no salary going back. We would need to send prospects, waiver eligible or picks.

The other option would be a multi-player move, not sure of specific details. I would consider 

To CGY

Parayko

Sundqvist

To STL

Rights to Kylington 

Zavgorodny

+ picks / mid prospects 

Only prospects not to trade for me are Wolf, Pelletier and Valimaki. All others are available at the right price.

Considering the cap opening for STL to retain Pietrangelo, what picks / prospects would the Flames need to add?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, travel_dude said:

If that's the Flames, I hope they run away after being refused.

No reject then accept the offer later.

Maybe it's the Oilers, since they weresn't willing to trade it for Murray.

Then again the Oilers have no 2nd.

If true, that's Terrifying lol.   

17 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Makes me think we can get two 1st round picks for Gaudreau if we trade him.

Would appear to be a sellers market.   We can always hope Flames org has epiphany

18 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Makes me think we can get two 1st round picks for Gaudreau if we trade him.

Depending on the team I'd be either thrilled or disappointed if the return was 2 firsts. 

I wonder? Seems WPG is listening on Laine...he would be a perfect fit beside Mony...

wpg is looking for a 2nd line Ctr and we have great one in Backlund (provided he’s willing to wave his NMC or whatever he has) this seems like it would be a wonderful fit for both teams roster wise...

I only say this as I think it’s time to put Bennet in the drivers seat and Ctr that 2nd line...depending on if Hall is landed, and if so you know GJ would be traded for sure...only becof money and the LW would be over stacked, but the top 2 lines would be looking pretty awesome either way and you could mix and match the top 6 however you like:

GJ(Hall)/ Mony/ Laine

Tachuck/ Bennet/ Lindholm 

that’s a really nice looking top 6 with very little change...though if I’m being honest I’d rather Hall over GJ he’s got more “sand paper” to coin a Burke phrase...

if the opportunity is there (meaning Backlund would be willing to move) I think the flames should go all in for Laine and also go hard at Hall...fix those toe issues first then focus on the D, mostly by way of either Signing Brodie and or replacing him...though if possible it would be nice to have him resigned and then focus on simply replacing Hamer...

In a win the lottery world I’d love to see CGY land Lehner too it’s not impossible and really only a few moves:

out:

Backlund

GJ

Hammer

Tabs 

Possibly another player or two like stone? 

in:

Laine

Hall

Lehner 

keeps the turnover lower and seems

like the cap could work considering Hmmer, Backlund and Tabs and GJ’s contracts would come off...? 

Some one mentioned Kessel out of ARZ, it was something I actually don't mind. Really if you want someone that can fit a need at a good value he would be not a bad option. 

- Kuepmer to me is an option but not at the asking price and will once again ask for Resigantions if he trades our 1st or 2nds again, Sign markstom at the same value and it doesn't cost you assets. 

- Hall I think he would be a good fit here as well, Hall at 7.5 for 6 why not.

- Perto, would love to see it but can't see it. Petro is going to 8,5 plus for 7-8 years. Your going to have to move someone to make room for him, Hanifin would be the odd man out. 

We have 16 Million left actually 13.5 after you sign Mags. Goalie is 5.5 -6 Million, leaving you 7.5 million left without moving a roster player. If you move out Hanifin that leaves you with 12 Million, meaning :Petro is doable at 8.5-9 but you still need a 5-6 d with no funds left 

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

I wonder? Seems WPG is listening on Laine...he would be a perfect fit beside Mony...

wpg is looking for a 2nd line Ctr and we have great one in Backlund (provided he’s willing to wave his NMC or whatever he has) this seems like it would be a wonderful fit for both teams roster wise...

I only say this as I think it’s time to put Bennet in the drivers seat and Ctr that 2nd line...depending on if Hall is landed, and if so you know GJ would be traded for sure...only becof money and the LW would be over stacked, but the top 2 lines would be looking pretty awesome either way and you could mix and match the top 6 however you like:

GJ(Hall)/ Mony/ Laine

Tachuck/ Bennet/ Lindholm 

that’s a really nice looking top 6 with very little change...though if I’m being honest I’d rather Hall over GJ he’s got more “sand paper” to coin a Burke phrase...

if the opportunity is there (meaning Backlund would be willing to move) I think the flames should go all in for Laine and also go hard at Hall...fix those toe issues first then focus on the D, mostly by way of either Signing Brodie and or replacing him...though if possible it would be nice to have him resigned and then focus on simply replacing Hamer...

In a win the lottery world I’d love to see CGY land Lehner too it’s not impossible and really only a few moves:

out:

Backlund

GJ

Hammer

Tabs 

Possibly another player or two like stone? 

in:

Laine

Hall

Lehner 

keeps the turnover lower and seems

like the cap could work considering Hmmer, Backlund and Tabs and GJ’s contracts would come off...? 

People have been barking up that tree since both him and ehlers appeared on trade list about a month ago. Sure he's not untouchable but it's gonna cost ya. Probably  9+ mil next year plus what ever you're gonna give up to get him. (which would be much more than just Backlund)

FWIW a local poll had people wanting to keep Ehlers over Laine because of the cap security and overall consistency.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/goligoski’s-8-team-no-trade-list-revealed.2780739/

Apparently, Goligoski's 8 team NTC is as follows,

Buffalo

Calgary

Detroit

Edmonton

LA

Montreal

Ottawa

Winnipeg

Yet some still say that the challenges for Canadian teams attracting the best players are over blown. 27 yrs and counting since a Canadian team hoisted the SC, in a league that is comprised mostly of Canadians. Goligoski’s no trade list is probably similar for most NHL players, starts with the Canadian franchises, followed by the weaker US teams.

12 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Yet some still say that the challenges for Canadian teams attracting the best players are over blown. 27 yrs and counting since a Canadian team hoisted the SC, in a league that is comprised mostly of Canadians. Goligoski’s no trade list is probably similar for most NHL players, starts with the Canadian franchises, followed by the weaker US teams.

I think in general, it’s tougher to get Americans to come play in Canada. When they were drafted by a Canadian team it’s a different story, Tkachuk and Gaudreau seem to like it here.

I don’t really care Goligoski has CGY as a No. he’s pretty much playing to collect a paycheque and live in a warm climate. He wouldn’t have signed with ARI as a UFA if he wanted to win

27 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think in general, it’s tougher to get Americans to come play in Canada. 

I wonder if the US political climate will change any of this.  More Americans may want to play in Canada now.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I wonder if the US political climate will change any of this.  More Americans may want to play in Canada now.

Its a riot down there why would they want to live in boring Canada

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Some one mentioned Kessel out of ARZ, it was something I actually don't mind. Really if you want someone that can fit a need at a good value he would be not a bad option. 

- Kuepmer to me is an option but not at the asking price and will once again ask for Resigantions if he trades our 1st or 2nds again, Sign markstom at the same value and it doesn't cost you assets. 

- Hall I think he would be a good fit here as well, Hall at 7.5 for 6 why not.

- Perto, would love to see it but can't see it. Petro is going to 8,5 plus for 7-8 years. Your going to have to move someone to make room for him, Hanifin would be the odd man out. 

We have 16 Million left actually 13.5 after you sign Mags. Goalie is 5.5 -6 Million, leaving you 7.5 million left without moving a roster player. If you move out Hanifin that leaves you with 12 Million, meaning :Petro is doable at 8.5-9 but you still need a 5-6 d with no funds left 

If the price of signing Pietrangelo was moving Ryab, I would be on board.

We don't need him since Bennett was able to take 3rd line C.

Gawdin is capable of 4C.

9 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

People have been barking up that tree since both him and ehlers appeared on trade list about a month ago. Sure he's not untouchable but it's gonna cost ya. Probably  9+ mil next year plus what ever you're gonna give up to get him. (which would be much more than just Backlund)

FWIW a local poll had people wanting to keep Ehlers over Laine because of the cap security and overall consistency.

clearly it would cost more than just Backlund your giving up a first line winger for a second line Ctr...but I don’t think think the value of Backlund is as low as many think he’s quite possibly one of the very best 2nd line Ctr a around (not so much for scoring, but for everything else) which is why he would fetch a huge return many team want that over scoring on the 2nd line from their Ctr...they have wingers for scoring on the 2nd line Backs help wingers score because he can get and keep the puck 

the only reason I brought it up again as it seems to be coming up again which gives it more chance that WPG May be seriously considering it...they seem to building their team by filling needs which 2nd line Ctr seems to be a huge priority and Backlund would fit very well but yes something would have to be added just not sure how much and if that extra is worth it to Cgy or any team for that matter? 

7 hours ago, MP5029 said:

clearly it would cost more than just Backlund your giving up a first line winger for a second line Ctr...but I don’t think think the value of Backlund is as low as many think he’s quite possibly one of the very best 2nd line Ctr a around (not so much for scoring, but for everything else) which is why he would fetch a huge return many team want that over scoring on the 2nd line from their Ctr...they have wingers for scoring on the 2nd line Backs help wingers score because he can get and keep the puck 

the only reason I brought it up again as it seems to be coming up again which gives it more chance that WPG May be seriously considering it...they seem to building their team by filling needs which 2nd line Ctr seems to be a huge priority and Backlund would fit very well but yes something would have to be added just not sure how much and if that extra is worth it to Cgy or any team for that matter? 

Media is all over this now since yesterday with the rumors being the Canes are putting together a package that includes Either Slavin, Pesce, or Hamilton, Trochek, and a pick or prospect (Bean?).  The idea of moving Laine seems quite polarizing but the overall consensus is that top pair defence is the priority  with  2nd pair D and #2C next.

22 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Media is all over this now since yesterday with the rumors being the Canes are putting together a package that includes Either Slavin or Hamilton, Trochek, and a pick or prospect (Bean?).  The idea of moving Laine seems quite polarizing but the overall consensus is that top pair defence is the priority  with  2nd pair D and #2C next.

Does Hanifin make sense to WPG?

I don't mean in trade for Laine; I don't think we have the right fit for them.

Maybe for Roslovic?

It gives them a top 4D to replace Kulikov.

8 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Its a riot down there why would they want to live in boring Canada

I imagine there would be an exodus from California.  Kings, Ducks, and Sharks would be a less desirable destination moving forward.  Soyeattle would struggle to attract players too I would think.

Canada is peaceful.  I guess technically we can all buy guns to protect ourselves.  Just need to register.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Does Hanifin make sense to WPG?

I don't mean in trade for Laine; I don't think we have the right fit for them.

Maybe for Roslovic?

It gives them a top 4D to replace Kulikov.

From what I've seen in play and heard from the locals is they want/need a big stay at home blue liner preferably with a heavy aspect to his game. Basically the same thing the Flames need.

22 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

From what I've seen in play and heard from the locals is they want/need a big stay at home blue liner preferably with a heavy aspect to his game. Basically the same thing the Flames need.

They should just sign Hammer.

It won't help the tire fire they call defense, but he is rugged.

Hanifin would help them in transition/puck movement.

49 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

They should just sign Hammer.

It won't help the tire fire they call defense, but he is rugged.

Hanifin would help them in transition/puck movement.

I could see Hammer signing there for close to if not less than what he made last year.  Between Morrisey and Pionk along with some younger guys, (Niku, Samberg and Heinola) theyre gonna have a good choice of mobile d-men.  DeMelo is a good in his own zone but not really a physical player.

45 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I could see Hammer signing there for close to if not less than what he made last year.  Between Morrisey and Pionk along with some younger guys, (Niku, Samberg and Heinola) theyre gonna have a good choice of mobile d-men.  DeMelo is a good in his own zone but not really a physical player.

Pionk, Poolman and Niku are all RD.  Demelo is as well.

On LD, they only have Morrisey and Dahlstrom; nobody else signed.

That's not exactly great depth.

22 hours ago, MP5029 said:

I think one of the problems here is that I don't see why the Jets trade Laine to Calgary unless Monahan is coming back the other way. I'm a huge Backlund fan but I don' think they are going to trade a 22 year old goal scorer, who looks to be one his way to being one of the best goal scorers in the league for the foreseeable future, for a 31 year old center. I thikn they'd get way better offers than that. 

I'd be open to a Monahan for Laine discussion but my big fear with Laine is the rumors of what he is like off the ice. Seems to be some questions about what his overall dedication and commitment to the game is so if those are a true it's a hard pass at any price. If not I'd consider it but they'll want more than just Monahan and i'm not sure how much more he's actually worth. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think one of the problems here is that I don't see why the Jets trade Laine to Calgary unless Monahan is coming back the other way. I'm a huge Backlund fan but I don' think they are going to trade a 22 year old goal scorer, who looks to be one his way to being one of the best goal scorers in the league for the foreseeable future, for a 31 year old center. I thikn they'd get way better offers than that. 

I'd be open to a Monahan for Laine discussion but my big fear with Laine is the rumors of what he is like off the ice. Seems to be some questions about what his overall dedication and commitment to the game is so if those are a true it's a hard pass at any price. If not I'd consider it but they'll want more than just Monahan and i'm not sure how much more he's actually worth. 

Min terms of attitude alone, the little I’ve seen is, he feels like a Phaneuf type. Cocky, but what you said resonates as Phaneuf never felt he needed to improve as he was already too good.