The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

11 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

If Eichel is traded it will be for Prospects and Picks.

Eichel wants to win and Sabres are trying to accommodate him by upgrading the team to keep Eichel in Buffalo. 

So it makes no sense Buffalo trading him to upgrade their team. No they will take the 3 firsts and prospects.

That's logical.  However the Sabres are trying to please fans as well as Eichel.  9 years without playoffs.  There is pressure to win right away.

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Flames and Sabres timelines just don't quite align for an Eichel trade.

Next year might not align with Eichel's timeline.  All this hinges on the rumour Eichel did request a trade.  If so, then this is the summer he will be traded.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Next year might not align with Eichel's timeline.  All this hinges on the rumour Eichel did request a trade.  If so, then this is the summer he will be traded.

His agent said he hasn't requested a trade, and Buffalo has already paid him his $7.5m signing bonus, he isn't getting traded this offseason.

One thing I just realized is that Gaudreau and Monahan have already received their signing bonuses so their salary is $3.25m and $2.5m respectively. So that would mean that they would have even more value to teams looking to cut costs and still stay competitive. Teams like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Florida, Arizona.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

His agent said he hasn't requested a trade, and Buffalo has already paid him his $7.5m signing bonus, he isn't getting traded this offseason.

Just responding to Bob McKenzie starting rumours.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

One thing I just realized is that Gaudreau and Monahan have already received their signing bonuses so their salary is $3.25m and $2.5m respectively. So that would mean that they would have even more value to teams looking to cut costs and still stay competitive. Teams like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Florida, Arizona.

Perfect, that offsets Eichel's signing bonus.  So it's a fair trade after all.

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Since Brodie has come this far, he will explore the UFA market. I'd like him back, but I doubt that he is. He was very publicly almost traded last year and I wonder how he feels about that. He will likely get more than the Flames are willing to offer. Strong case to be made he's the 3rd best  UFA D, behind Pietro and Krug.

unfortunately I agree with all points you made...but I’m still holding some hope BT wakes up and also Brodie sees the value in seeing the progress of last year through a bit longer...but I can’t blame him for leaving either giving last year...still hopeful he re-ups 

Just now, The_People1 said:

Perfect, that offsets Eichel's signing bonus.  So it's a fair trade after all.

McKenzie in that series of tweets said that Eichel didn't ask for a trade, just that he wants to win and is tired of losing.

13 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I'm actually wondering if that works more against the Flames. The bonuses are for this year only and then neither has bonuses the rest of their contract so I wonder how much that actually helps those teams looking to cut payroll. 

And on the flipside Treliving now has to sell the trade to the owners who have already paid these guys close to 10 million and are cutting costs themselves? I'm not sure this is an advantage. 

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

To be fair he didn't start them. HIs tweets outlined that he dug into it after rumors of Eichel trade discussions reached him and given the profile of the player he made calls. 

But he did summarize that based on his conversations, there is nothing active going on here. No formal trade request and no active trade discussions. 

6 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

unfortunately I agree with all points you made...but I’m still holding some hope BT wakes up and also Brodie sees the value in seeing the progress of last year through a bit longer...but I can’t blame him for leaving either giving last year...still hopeful he re-ups 

It's UFA and a two way street. What if Treliving does see the value and it's Brodie who wants to move on?

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I'm actually wondering if that works more against the Flames. The bonuses are for this year only and then neither has bonsues the res of their contract so I wonder how much that actually helps those teams looking to cut payroll. 

And on the flipside Treliving now has to sell the trade to the owners who have already paid these guys close to 10 million and are cutting costs themselves? I'm not sure this is an advantage. 

I think teams will take the savings now, and worry about next year next year. 

I do wonder how the Flames ownership will approach this upcoming season as far as budget and what Treliving will be able to do with player salaries.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

That's logical.  However the Sabres are trying to please fans as well as Eichel.  9 years without playoffs.  There is pressure to win right away.

I don't see a scenario where the Sabres can trade Eichel and be in a better playoff position, unless they get a massive overpay.  Even with the Monahan Gaudreau suggestion, while it is probably an overpay from the Flames perspective, but the two of them have struggled getting a deeper team in a weaker division into the playoffs consistently and only once in a favorable spot, Buffalo is in a far worse spot based on being in a conference where they are still well behind all 8 playoff teams and really only close to being on par with a couple play in teams, they are also partly on par due in large part to Eichel.  Not a good situation either way, I think 100% Eichel is a Sabre next year, I'm only giving 20% odds he is after next season.

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

I don't see a scenario where the Sabres can trade Eichel and be in a better playoff position, unless they get a massive overpay.  Even with the Monahan Gaudreau suggestion, while it is probably an overpay from the Flames perspective, but the two of them have struggled getting a deeper team in a weaker division into the playoffs consistently and only once in a favorable spot, Buffalo is in a far worse spot based on being in a conference where they are still well behind all 8 playoff teams and really only close to being on par with a couple play in teams, they are also partly on par due in large part to Eichel.  Not a good situation either way, I think 100% Eichel is a Sabre next year, I'm only giving 20% odds he is after next season.

Agree there's no scenario where they make the playoffs after trading Eichel but just saying, they could try or at least operate under the optimism they can.  Meaning they could want to win right away and not want picks/prospects.

And for sure they don't have half a team right now so it's looking like they won't make the playoffs regardless.  It will be interesting to see what they try to do here.

45 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

And for sure they don't have half a team right now so it's looking like they won't make the playoffs regardless.  It will be interesting to see what they try to do here.

This is exactly why they could consider trading Eichel. Buffalo struggles to attract players to play there, unless they significantly overpay. Take a look at Skinner. I don’t care how good a season he had, there’s no reason for him to be making $9mil and signed longer than Eichel. While cap space and openings on the roster can be looked at as a positive for most teams, I argue it’s a detriment to Buffalo. They have few assets to include in a trade because half their team has gone UFA. That also means they may have to deal picks/prospects for NHL caliber players, or they’re relegated to building their team by UFA signings which we all know have to be an overpayment to play in Buffalo. So... this is my argument as to why Eichel may be available for the right price, and the right price imo is multiple players that are already under contract, who are good players, can excite the fan base, and provide potential for playoffs. Offering Mony and Johnny - 2/3 of a top line, under contract, with low salaries, greater output combined than Eichel alone, that have the ability to put people in the seats, and potentially attract other players to play there.... man.

Again, I say if the right combo of players are offered for Eichel to patch up a bunch of holes in their roster and keep them competitive, they’ll look at it. Heck, add to Johnny and Mony even. Throw in Janko and/or the rights to Czarnik, or include Hanifin and make Buffalo give something else back... help them build their roster and I believe Eichel can be had. 

Buffalo could still target and bring in a guy like Kessel after the trade as well. Or even Petro if they overpay and he’s looking for the money. Buffalo ain’t too far from King City, Ontario. Heck, I’m just north of king city myself and I’ve gone to Buffalo to watch the flames. 

9 hours ago, Sobieit said:

If I am Trevling I am looking to take advantage of Buffalo.  There are two options to do this IMO.

1) Buffalo is willing to trade Eichel

- If Buffalo wants to stay competitive 

- Then we offer Monahan, Hanifin, Dube

- I don't think many teams can offer a package of players that can keep Buffalo competitive and have value.

-  If Buffalo wants futures

- Then we offer Monahan, Valimaki, and our first(19 overall)

- Again I think this is fair value, and I wouldn't mind parting with this for a player like Eichel in return.

Gaudreau Eichel Lindholm

Tkachuk Backlund Mangiapane

Lucic Bennett Dube/Philips

Gawdin Ryan Reider

Gio Brodie

Hanifin/Valimaki Andersson

Makay Yelesin

2) Buffalo wants to win now

- We offer them Gaudreau for Cozens and 8th 

- We then sign Hall

Hall Monahan Lindholm

Tkachuk Backlund Mangiapane

Bennett Cozens Dube

Gawdin Ryan Lucic

Gio Brodie

Hanifin Andersson

Valimaki Yelesin

Hey Sobeit,

I was also thinking of your exact same scenario 2 if Eichel can’t be had for either your proposal or mine. 

So Eichel obviously isn't available, but I wonder if Steven Stamkos might be. Tampa needs to clear a ton of cap to sign Cirelli and Sergachev. They just won the Cup with Stamkos on the sidelines. Trading Stamkos clears a lot of cap space.

Can we put together a good enough package to get Stamkos? Does Lindholm, a 1st and Pelletier get it done. Not sure if that clears enough cap for Tampa. So instead of Lindholm, we might have to add a guy like Dube or Valimaki or both.

If get Stamkos, you can move one of Monahan or Backlund, to fill the holes opened from trading for Stamkos.

13 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So Eichel obviously isn't available, but I wonder if Steven Stamkos might be. Tampa needs to clear a ton of cap to sign Cirelli and Sergachev. They just won the Cup with Stamkos on the sidelines. Trading Stamkos clears a lot of cap space.

Can we put together a good enough package to get Stamkos? Does Lindholm, a 1st and Pelletier get it done. Not sure if that clears enough cap for Tampa. So instead of Lindholm, we might have to add a guy like Dube or Valimaki or both.

If get Stamkos, you can move one of Monahan or Backlund, to fill the holes opened from trading for Stamkos.

No thanks.  Too many injuries.  He's only 1/2 as good as he used to be.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

No thanks.  Too many injuries.  He's only 1/2 as good as he used to be.

He put up 45 goals and 98 points in 82 games last year and 29 goals and 66 points in 57 games this year. He is still far and away better than anyone we have.

Tampa did a great job and all, but they seemed to graduate from the Sutter School of Trade Protection.  Eek, how do Yanni Gourde and Braydon Coburn get one, Point and Vas are the only guys making significant money without one, could they be forced to move one of those guys?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

He put up 45 goals and 98 points in 82 games last year and 29 goals and 66 points in 57 games this year. He is still far and away better than anyone we have.

Touche.  He's still better than anything we have even 1/2 as good.  If we are going for it, then let's go for it.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

First would be for him to waive his full NMC.  Then finding a replacement for 1 of the only 2 RHS up front if you're gonna give up Lindy.

15 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

First would be for him to waive his full NMC.  Then finding a replacement for 1 of the only 2 RHS up front if you're gonna give up Lindy.

Stamkos is the RHS replacement for Lindholm.

The NMC for sure would be a hurdle. 

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

Tampa did a great job and all, but they seemed to graduate from the Sutter School of Trade Protection.  Eek, how do Yanni Gourde and Braydon Coburn get one, Point and Vas are the only guys making significant money without one, could they be forced to move one of those guys?

Exactly.

Theres no explanation that Coburn gets a full NTC. None.

Then there’s your secondary parts, Palat, Johnson and Gourde, all good players but not guys to give full no trade protection to.

They have some real tough decisions. Killorn only has a partial NTC, he’s gone, as are Mcelhinney and Paquette. I think Coburn could waive for a spot where he has a chance to play more as he’s a depth piece in TB. The other guys, I’m not so sure they’d be inclined to waive.

Interesting offseason for the champs 

19 hours ago, cross16 said:

It's UFA and a two way street. What if Treliving does see the value and it's Brodie who wants to move on?

lol that’s why I said also Brodie see the value too...as in value of him coming back to win with the team, the players said they have a bond and hopefully that sways Brodie to sign back here.

7 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Stamkos is the RHS replacement for Lindholm.

The NMC for sure would be a hurdle. 

My mistake, I keep thinking of him as a canter.   Either way still seems like a very high risk/high reward acquisition.