The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

A couple of other names who are waiver eligible that I would have interest in are Mathieu Joseph and Mitchell Stephens from Tampa. Though once Tampa clears space, I am guessing those two will be the low cost options to fill their roster, but if they did become available, I would be very interested.

They also have Alex Volkov who will be waiver eligible.

I wonder if Calgary would have interest in a guy like Dubinsky or Little. Both guys probably aren't playing again, but they can go on LTIR and allow the team to go over the cap.

Dubinsky carries a $5.85m for 1 year. Little still has 4 years at $5.29m. Little's contract would be hard to swallow, Dubinsky could give the Flames some flexibility if they wanted to target another big UFA.

What would MTL want for Gallagher?

1yr left at 3.75. He brings an element the Flames really lack, outside of Tkachuk. 

The issue would be a Gallagher extension. It would be less about salary and more about term for me. He's better than Josh Anderson and would likely want more than what he got. 

19 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

What would MTL want for Gallagher?

1yr left at 3.75. He brings an element the Flames really lack, outside of Tkachuk. 

The issue would be a Gallagher extension. It would be less about salary and more about term for me. He's better than Josh Anderson and would likely want more than what he got. 

Would they do Gallagher for Mangiapane?

Both players are 50-point-ish players. Habs just signed two RWs in Anderson and Toffoli so maybe Gallagher has no room to play in the top 6.  Mangiapane gives them a LW and RFA contract control.  Gallagher gives the Flames a RHS RW, more feistiness and he could slot in on 2nd line.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm

Tkachuk - Backlund - Gallagher

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Both players are 50-point-ish players. Habs just signed two RWs in Anderson and Toffoli so maybe Gallagher has no room to play in the top 6.  Mangiapane gives them a LW and RFA contract control.  Gallagher gives the Flames a RHS RW, more feistiness and he could slot in on 2nd line.

My first thought is Mang or Hanifin may interest them.

Admittedly, I'm a huge Gallagher fan. He's a pest, he's a scorer, he brings it every night. He instantly makes the Flames a better team, I'd have a ton of interest. 

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

My first thought is Mang or Hanifin may interest them.

Admittedly, I'm a huge Gallagher fan. He's a pest, he's a scorer, he brings it every night. He instantly makes the Flames a better team, I'd have a ton of interest. 

Mang might cost $4-mil x 4-years... But if we bring in Gallagher then I think Mang gets bumped to 3rd line... In which case he's too expensive for 3rd line and bottom 6 role.  He won't score much.  So might as well trade Mang for Gallagher. 

We need D so keep Hanifin.  He's honestly looked better away from Hamonic.  Hanifin - Andersson could plays first pairing.

Proposal:

CGY - Ryan + 2020 2nd and 2020 3rd

For

VGK - Tuch

Makes VGK cap compliant + 1.5m and gives them their needed 3rd line center

Normally this would not fly but times are rough on over cap teams

On 10/12/2020 at 2:06 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

I can't help but notice Konecny's name on TSN's trade bait. I love this player and would be willing to give up a lot to get him. I'd do Gaudreau for Konecny, although I'm not sure PHI would.

I would also explore the market on Derek Ryan. I think he is going to be a luxury the Flames can not afford. There should be a market as he's a RS C and the C UFA market was very thin. Ottawa could make some sense, they have a ton of young kids, but no real depth up the middle other than Tierney. It's less about the return and more abput the cap savings, but I would expect it to be a 4th or 5th or an AHLer like a Max Lajoie from OTT

I like this post and feel we need a little more scoring if moving Gaudreau and he would love to play in Philly. Would like to see a heart and sole guy with offensive abilities like Konecny. What about Gaudreau and Hanifin for Konecny and Sanheim. Philly would do this I believe. Maybe a pick or two each way to make it work. Also, New York Rangers are deep in RD and looking for a 2/3 centre. Could we move Backlund and his NTC maybe with a pick and get DeAngelo? He was talked about as a potential trade chip and is now entering arbitration. We’d have his rights until 2022-23 season so maybe 2 or 3 years at 4.5 million. We could trade Ryan to Ottawa for a 4th round pick. Saves us about $6 million in cap space. Then sign Hoffman for slightly more than Toffoli money.

Top six may go something like this:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Hoffman

Konecny-Monahan-Mangiapane

Top four D may go something like this:

Giordano-DeAngelo

Sanheim-Andersson
Not to mention Tanev who could slide up if injuries occur. Maybe wishful thinking and a lot of money for Tanev not in a top four role. I feel we’d be a better team.

Thoughts?

5 hours ago, 7wit said:

I like this post and feel we need a little more scoring if moving Gaudreau and he would love to play in Philly. Would like to see a heart and sole guy with offensive abilities like Konecny. What about Gaudreau and Hanifin for Konecny and Sanheim. Philly would do this I believe. Maybe a pick or two each way to make it work. Also, New York Rangers are deep in RD and looking for a 2/3 centre. Could we move Backlund and his NTC maybe with a pick and get DeAngelo? He was talked about as a potential trade chip and is now entering arbitration. We’d have his rights until 2022-23 season so maybe 2 or 3 years at 4.5 million. We could trade Ryan to Ottawa for a 4th round pick. Saves us about $6 million in cap space. Then sign Hoffman for slightly more than Toffoli money.

Top six may go something like this:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Hoffman

Konecny-Monahan-Mangiapane

Top four D may go something like this:

Giordano-DeAngelo

Sanheim-Andersson
Not to mention Tanev who could slide up if injuries occur. Maybe wishful thinking and a lot of money for Tanev not in a top four role. I feel we’d be a better team.

Thoughts?

DeAngelo is a solid player but I worry about bringing someone with his type of attitude on board tbh.

Comments from Friedman today on Gallagher. Sounds like he may not be a Hab long term but they are not in a rush to trade him. Cost will be high on this I think.

also confirms it's going to take a risky extension to get Gallagher. 

3. The moment Josh Anderson signed his seven-year, $38.5-million deal, I wondered what that meant for Brendan Gallagher — one year from unrestricted free agency. It’s emotional, and you only have to look as far as St. Louis to realize the challenges that creates. It is believed the extension being discussed between Gallagher and the Canadiens was similar to the one Anderson signed, and that Montreal has made it clear there isn’t any more wriggle room on its offer.

I would love to see Marc Bergevin’s phone and text log after news got out that extension talks broke off. Word around the NHL is the Canadiens’ GM said he wouldn’t be trading the aggressive winger. That hasn’t always been true, but Bergevin knows he has to make a run in 2020–21.

It would have to be some trade for Les Habitants to be better off without Gallagher, who is the emotional heartbeat of the team. He’s got enormous pride. It’s why he made it, and that pride is stung right now.

Friedman also confirms Flames wanted Anderson bad and thinks it would have been a big deal had it gone through.  Not really news there but again clear the Flames want to make changes. We'll see if they can now. 

5. Boston and Calgary were among the others who badly wanted Anderson. If it had been the Flames, I think we’re talking about a pretty big deal.

Well this is a surprise. Don't really understand the game plan here from the Habs 

But that's also a deal I'd want no part of

20 hours ago, voltager said:

I would love to see Ottawa and Calgary do a trade 

Brady tchuck and a 2021 second to calgary

Monny and Johnny to ottawa

Wow you don't think much of Monny and GH

Is Julius Honka a guy we should look at? Sounds like he wants to come back to NA. RHS D, 24 years old. Probably could be had for cheap.

16 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Is Julius Honka a guy we should look at? Sounds like he wants to come back to NA. RHS D, 24 years old. Probably could be had for cheap.

I would for sure at the right price. would have to be no higher than a 4th rounder, or preferably a lower ranked prospect, but he fills an organizational need and is worth the dice roll IMO. 

17 hours ago, FlameFan4Life said:

There is atleast a first round pick and a Connor Brown type player missing. 

I hope in the Flames favor ;)

We should be talking to Tampa about one of their contracts; Johnson or Kilorn.

They really can't do everything they want.

They might even want to trade Cirelli or Cernak.

Obviously we can't send money back.

A retained salary on TJ or Kilorn might work.

Or a pick for either Cirelli or Cernak.

Use Kylington as well

It's going to hard for them to trade guys over 30 without giving up a lot for nothing.

Easier to move a guy who you can't afford now.

They might get some of the value back..

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We should be talking to Tampa about one of their contracts; Johnson or Kilorn.

They really can't do everything they want.

They might even want to trade Cirelli or Cernak.

Obviously we can't send money back.

A retained salary on TJ or Kilorn might work.

Or a pick for either Cirelli or Cernak.

Use Kylington as well

It's going to hard for them to trade guys over 30 without giving up a lot for nothing.

Easier to move a guy who you can't afford now.

They might get some of the value back..

And we pay for it HOW?

On 10/13/2020 at 10:03 PM, The_People1 said:

there's no room for contracts for forward's.. we're likely to see.. Gaudreau./monahan/lindholm

tkachuck/backlund/ryan

mangiapane/bennett.dube

Llucic/Gawdin/Robinson/ Rinaldo

On defence is where the issues really are... we only have 4 d men.. Gio/anderson and Tanev/Valamaki.. yes we have hanafin but can't adfford him as a 5th d man.. other than that all we have is the not quite right for prime time Kylington and Yaltsin.. two more unknown swedes that are listed on the Flames roster and Mackey/Poolman

4 hours ago, redfire11 said:

And we pay for it HOW?

Teams have given up very little when taking a contract.

Schmidt to VAN for a 3rd in 2022

Watson to OTT for a 2021 4th 

Ryan Murray to NJ for a 2021 5th

Gudbranson to OTT for a 2021 5th

These aren't over the hill players.

For a guy like Johnson, I would expect no more than a 4th plus retained salary.

They couldn;t give him away.

Best case scenario is they buy him out and have a lot more dead cap space.

Scratch that, they can't now.

Best they could hope with the way things are looking is saving $1m by burying him in the AHL.

Kilorn would be worth a little more since he had a better year.

Cirelli or Cernak more still.

Probably a 2nd and a decent prospect.

They can't take salary and can't reall afford to sign them now.

They have little leverage with other GM's if they sign both plus Sergachev.

We still have to figure out the cap if we take on any of those players.

I would suspect BT would have a Ryan trade in the works contingent on a Tampa deal.

Or someone else.

If it was Cernak, we could consider trading Hanifin.

We give up a LD for a forward.

We get a 17-19 minute RD.

Could effectively shelter Ras.

Or have three pairs with D capable of 17 minutes each.

Unheard of.

Lets trade for Laine.  What would it take?  The Jets want D... Preferably RHS RD.  But would Hanifin get talks started?  Hanifin + Mangiapane?  Is that enough?

Maybe they would want Gaudreau?

$6.75-mil x 1-year and the pending RFA so we still control his contract rights after.