The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I don't really want Laine, but if Winnipeg would do a deal centered around Hanifin, I'd consider it.

The Jets know they have a hard time landing big-time UFA's, so they love term, Hanifin has a lot of that. He immediately solidifies their top 4.

It would require an additional move for the cap to work though. Would need to move a Ryan, Bennett or Rittich.

16 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don't really want Laine, but if Winnipeg would do a deal centered around Hanifin, I'd consider it.

The Jets know they have a hard time landing big-time UFA's, so they love term, Hanifin has a lot of that. He immediately solidifies their top 4.

It would require an additional move for the cap to work though. Would need to move a Ryan, Bennett or Rittich.

If we were to get Laine for Hanifin + a pick, our top 6 would be killer.

Not to mention a PP that was not that shabby.

These two factors make this a decent move.

After this season, we would need to re-sign him with a mind of what we are going with for Gaudreau and Tkachuk.

If we are talking trade for Gaudreau, he would be coming off a monster season playing with Laine.

If having Laine convinces Gaudreau we are a contender and he wants to stay, we figure out a deal that works.

Same for Tkachuk, who would be coming off a final season at $9m actual.

We would not have Ryan next year anyway.

Gio's deal is done after next season.

Even re-signing him means a lot less on a 1 year deal.

Rittich either has been claimed in the off-season or he's replaced by Parsons or Big Snag Zag.

I suppose it's possible we re-sign Rittich and he isn't claimed.

Lots of time to figure this out, just mentioning that we have options if we make the deal.

Can't imagine a deal that improves us as much.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Pretty much man.  More I think about it, I don't want to do Gaudreau for Laine and I don't believe the Jets do too.  We could theoretically move Hanifin and challenge Valimaki on 2nd pair with little loss... Maybe even makes us better.

We'll worry about next year's cap after we win the Cup.

7 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

I made this team in cap friendly to see how we could negotiate some of the salaries and lines, and it works, and the team looks real good in my opinion.

What do you guys think?

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/386318?post_id=1891305

Still need to carry another extra forward and extra D for 23 man roster. 

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Still need to carry another extra forward and extra D for 23 man roster. 

I know, I just really liked that roster, lol. Oh well, thanks for looking anyway

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think Hanifin gets the conversation started. 

Our D presently is weaker than is was last year, subtracting Hanifin makes us that much weaker, but tempting.

The deal breaker would be the + on our side.

If Laine wants out, BT should be exploring that opportunity leading with Hanifin for sure.

1 minute ago, CheersMan said:

I think Hanifin gets the conversation started. 

Our D presently is weaker than is was last year, subtracting Hanifin makes us that much weaker, but tempting.

The deal breaker would be the + on our side.

If Laine wants out, BT should be exploring that opportunity leading with Hanifin for sure.

I think that Valimaki being very good over in Finland makes Hanifin expendable.

The Flames love Valimaki... obviously, and Hanifin was in the Hall offer in December, so I think they’d be willing to part ways.

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think that Valimaki being very good over in Finland makes Hanifin expendable.

The Flames love Valimaki... obviously, and Hanifin was in the Hall offer in December, so I think they’d be willing to part ways.

ya but the + I think would stiiiing. 

The sting might be less with a Laine extension though. 

Acquire plus extend Laine would be sweet.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

On one hand, I feel Hanifin was reborn with Andersson and the pair looked like a legit #1 pairing capable of trending into 25-minutes a night.  So, we are kind of selling low on Hanifin before the rest of the NHL finds out about him.

On the other hand, the one team that got a first hand look of Hanifin - Andersson was ironically the Jets.  Make no mistake, that pairing was key to beating the Jets.  BT starts a conversation with Hanifin for Laine, then I think the Jets would listen.  They know how good Hanifin can be.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

On one hand, I feel Hanifin was reborn with Andersson and the pair looked like a legit #1 pairing capable of trending into 25-minutes a night.  So, we are kind of selling low on Hanifin before the rest of the NHL finds out about him.

On the other hand, the one team that got a first hand look of Hanifin - Andersson was ironically the Jets.  Make no mistake, that pairing was key to beating the Jets.  BT starts a conversation with Hanifin for Laine, then I think the Jets would listen.  They know how good Hanifin can be.

Treliving has tried to address two things in his tenure, goaltending and RW. He finally got his goalie, this could be a chance to fix the RW. I don’t know if WPG does it,  but I could see the Flames being in on Laine

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

exactly, and I gone hate the idea of trading Hanifin, he’s gonna be a top pair D, but I also feel Kylington, Yelesin and Valimaki are all gonna be very solid.  Kylington should round out to a solid 3rd pair regular D that can fill in higher when needed, same with Yelesin.  Valimaki  is gonna be a top pair D and surprisingly so is Anderson (I say surprisingly because he wasn’t expected to be this good when drafted but this is a great thing)

point being, even if only 1 of Yelesin or Kylington pan out then we should be ok on the future D with Valimaki, Anderson and on of those two...true there will be a few holes to fill but the need to fill them won’t become a major issue till Gio retires and he’s here for 2 more years 

although letting Hanifin go kinda thins out the D even more, especially with the loss of Brodie, it’s a risk worth taking to beef up the RW which, after G has been a huge weak area on the team for a few years now, we have seen how much Lindholm has helped, but it takes more than 1 line, and our 2nd line is being filled out with a good player on his off wing, 

no matter how you slice it (Bennet moving up to Ctr 2nd or Backlund the top 3 lines suddenly look amazing if you can insert Laine:

Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm 

Tachuck/Bennet/Laine

Manji/Backlund/Dube

lucic/Ryan?/?????

spare????

That is a pretty solid 3 deep set of lines and 2/3 of a good looking 4th with guys able to play the 3rd line.

granted, the 3rd line is a little small with both Dube and Manji on the same line but they like Backlund are possession monsters, add in the spark plug energy of Manji and Dube with Backlund’s steady 2 way play second to none in the NHL and size may not be an issue for that line.

on D we would have:

Gio/Anderson 

Valimaki/Tanev 

Kylington/Yelesin 

spare ??? A few options here and they could also fill in the 3rd pair if Kylington or Yelesin falter...

it’s a bit risky putting 2 rookies together but it’s been done before by other teams very successfully so it could be worth the risk, and with the improved G it could be good Markstrom could help mold them too.

first of all the title of this thread  is.. for improvement.. not to win the cup or get to Utopia.. and Secondly.. someone needs to ask Treliving if the plan is to simply be competitive so as to earn playoff dollars or actually win the cup which well make decisions like Ryan and Lucic very important

16 hours ago, CheersMan said:

ya but the + I think would stiiiing. 

The sting might be less with a Laine extension though. 

Acquire plus extend Laine would be sweet.

Laine is an RFA at the end of the season and under team control. So the + won’t sting at all because Laine is still a controllable asset. We could easily get the same return if we decided to part with him at the end of the season. 

37 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Laine is an RFA at the end of the season and under team control. So the + won’t sting at all because Laine is still a controllable asset. We could easily get the same return if we decided to part with him at the end of the season. 

If you get a top 6 player at that age, it's a win.

Even if you extend him at a high number, he's getting that because he's worth it.

Give him a short term bridge deal if you think he's going to want elsewhere.

Something like Tkachuk where his final year is around $9m.

If I'm not mistaken, a one year extension still puts him as a RFA.

Two years, he's a UFA.

Otherwise, you build a deal that makes sense for both sides.

This is about the only time we have a chance to scoup him.

Hanifin might fit in well with Demelo or Pionk.

Defense is their biggest need.

That and cap space.

The plus could be a 1st from next year.

It's loking to be late 1st unless we crap the bed.

They need to deal with the RFA's Roslovic and Niku, so I don't know if we could scoop either of those guys.

Hanifin + Bennett + 2nd for Laine + Roslovic?

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If you get a top 6 player at that age, it's a win.

Even if you extend him at a high number, he's getting that because he's worth it.

Give him a short term bridge deal if you think he's going to want elsewhere.

Something like Tkachuk where his final year is around $9m.

If I'm not mistaken, a one year extension still puts him as a RFA.

Two years, he's a UFA.

Otherwise, you build a deal that makes sense for both sides.

This is about the only time we have a chance to scoup him.

Hanifin might fit in well with Demelo or Pionk.

Defense is their biggest need.

That and cap space.

The plus could be a 1st from next year.

It's loking to be late 1st unless we crap the bed.

They need to deal with the RFA's Roslovic and Niku, so I don't know if we could scoop either of those guys.

Hanifin + Bennett + 2nd for Laine + Roslovic?

So you're trading 2 players that stepped up their game in the playoffs for 2 players who both have known attitudes with usage.  Yes Laine is a tremendous sniper but his one dimensional play is what kept him off the 1st line. You can complain about opportunity all you want but it boils down to being passed by Ehlers and Roslovic by Copp (and now Stastny). We all saw what happens when you come in expecting to be top line and getting outplayed (Neal).

Besides now with Stastny there theres no rush to trade unless the Jets are offered exactly what they need.  

LeBrun seems to think the BJs could be a front runner for Laine.  Something like Werenski +  could work.

I’m not interested in giving peg anyone other than Hanifin (and a pick or prospect) for Laine. Bennett needs to stay and play center. Mangiapane and Dube need to stay. If peg gets a better deal elsewhere, so be it. With Hanifin they get a young player, locked in with term in a position of need, and additional cap space because Hanifin’s salary is less than Laine. Heck, with the savings they could sign Hamonic on the cheap so they essentially get Hanifin + pick + Hamonic for Laine (who needs a new contract at the end of the season). Doesn’t sound like a bad deal to me. 

Markstrom is making $6mil / year for a reason. Let him backstop our young D corps and help them acclimatize to the NHL. 

36 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

LeBrun seems to think the BJs could be a front runner for Laine.  Something like Werenski +  could work.

Since you’re in Jets land, what’s the pulse over there? Would Werenski’s 2 years left on his contract and more points per season be more attractive to peg than Hanifin’s 4 years left on his contract? Both are the same age, similar height and weight, and Hanifin’s contract is only $50k less per year than Werenski - so essentially a wash. 

43 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

So you're trading 2 players that stepped up their game in the playoffs for 2 players who both have known attitudes with usage.  Yes Laine is a tremendous sniper but his one dimensional play is what kept him off the 1st line. You can complain about opportunity all you want but it boils down to being passed by Ehlers and Roslovic by Copp (and now Stastny). We all saw what happens when you come in expecting to be top line and getting outplayed (Neal).

Besides now with Stastny there theres no rush to trade unless the Jets are offered exactly what they need.  

I like the way Roslovic plays.

Looking for him to step up his game with 3rd line usage.

As for Laine, who knows what WPG would have done with him and Scheifele in the playoffs.

He's no more 1-dimensional than Gaudreau or Monahan.

And I think he is just a bad fit with their coach.

The Jets are at the cap, with no money left for Roslovic or Niku.

I don't see a fit with CBJ.

They didn't clear cap on defense only to turn around and trade one of their top 2 D.

Werenski is the player they would need to offer, but it doesn't make sense.

COL was another team that made sense, but they got rid of Zadorov, and don't have the D to trade now.

My suggestion is trading a player that only has excelled in the playoffs and one season playing with Backlund.

And Hanifin was good in the playoffs, but his season was meh otherwise.

Are we paying for two players?

Of course, but Hanifin alone might not do it.

A hockey trade with risk on both sides is probably closer to something that works.

If Columbus is offering Werenski, Winnipeg needs to make that deal yesterday. He's a 20 goal D that can play in all situations. I'd be amazed if Columbus moved him for Laine. 

Carolina might be a fit, they lack RHS and have a bunch of D

17 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If Columbus is offering Werenski, Winnipeg needs to make that deal yesterday. He's a 20 goal D that can play in all situations. I'd be amazed if Columbus moved him for Laine. 

Hanifin is cost controlled.

Fleury is unproven.

Trading Slavin or Pesce would leave a big hole. 

Next year for them is going to be a lot of change or re-signings.

Hamilton, Svechnikov, Dzingle for starters.

I'm not saying we are even in talks with WPG, but I imagine BT has suggested Hanifin already.

If he hasn't then he's missing out.

Trouba brought back Pionk and a 1st.

Maybe something like that for Laine would work.

Hanifin + 1st.

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I thought Stastny was a horrible signing.  He slowed down last season and at $6.5-mil you're getting 40-point second line Center and that's if he even stays healthy for an entire season.  He's so injury prone.

He shouldn't move the needle or convince Laine to stay.

31 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

For sures.  If Columbus is offering Werenski then we can't match that.  WPG should take the deal.

But looking at CBJ, their D is thinning out just like us.  Lost Murray and Nutivaara.  Savard is aging and slow... And that's it. All they basically have now is Jones and Werenski so I question if they would be willing to move Werenski.

At least the Flames have Valimaki to replace Hanifin instantly.

9 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

first of all the title of this thread  is.. for improvement.. not to win the cup or get to Utopia.. and Secondly.. someone needs to ask Treliving if the plan is to simply be competitive so as to earn playoff dollars or actually win the cup which well make decisions like Ryan and Lucic very important

I do find disappointment so many ask about next season's cap while we have a chance to get a game breaking sniper that can help us win the Cup this season.

How do we stay a mediocre playoff team long term VS how to stack up for one or two years and make a run for it, then blow it up and start over.