The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder how if the coaches and management see Lindholm as capable as being a center for a full season. I believe Ward compared Lindholm to Bergeron. If they do, I wonder if that would make it a little easier to make a Monahan trade.

I myself think Lindholm is a better winger than a center.

If they do move Lindholm to center, maybe Monahan can be moved for a RW.

"Capable" sure.  But why do we want to move one of the leagues best two-way RWs and convert him into a capable Center?  He's arugably the 3rd best Center on the team behind Monahan and Backlund... Maybe even Bennett.

I mean I'm all for it if we aren't trying to win this year.  I'm up for a Monahan trade for sures as well.

Put me in the camp that doesn't understand where this Lindholm at center talk. He's never been great at center in the NHL and I don't see this "great defensive ability" that some others do when he played there. I prefer Lindholm on the wing because I think what unlocked Lindholm's scoring ability was moving to the wing where he can find more holes in the o zone and get that shot off. I think if you put him at center maybe he gets better at his two way game over time but I don't see him as anything more than a 40-50 pt center. Big hit to your offence. 

So I don't see it myself. I'm not against trading Monahan but I think if you go that route it's because your getting an offer you can't refuse or because someone like Bennett steps up and not because you can move Lindholm over. Your just shuffling problems around then. 

Trading Monahan is fine, if you have a succession plan.

I don't see one today.

Zary to me looks more like a 2nd or 3rd C.

I'm not against trading Hanifin or Ryan.

Saying that, Ryan is the one consistent #3C that we do have.

Bennett on the wing for so lone, we don't even know if he can be a #3C or take some extra minutes.

We've seen him have one great playoffs at C.

He has been pretty consistent in points on the wing in the playoffs.

Trading Ryan makes sense if it's combined with trading Hanifin to improve the team.

Give you $8m to address some weakness we have.

Whether that is trading for a C/RW that's a RHS and the extra is used to sign a decent depth defender.

Or it's used to upgrade the 2nd pairing with a $6-7m D-man.

The remaining $1-2m would need to be a decent depth center.

Just noticed that VAN re-signed Virtanen.

That puts them at $83m with somehow a projected LTIR of $1.5m.

Assuming that is Baertschi.

I looked at buying out Eriksson, but this year his cap hit would be $5.6m and $3.6m next year.

Talk about a bad deal.

Don't really see them as a great trading partner.

Might be able to do something like Ryan for Pearson or Virtanen.

Pearson doesn't really address a positional need for us.

Virtanen does, but makes us weaker up the middle.

I have been looking for a replacement at center for Monahan. Looked throughout league and suprisingly half the teams if not 3/4 of them would not have an upgrade for Monahan in my opinion. I see if we trade Monahan we want to trade him with other piece/or pieces to upgrade our 1st line center. Maybe Monahan, Hanifin and a 2nd for Barkov. something along those lines.

8 minutes ago, PGDawg said:

I have been looking for a replacement at center for Monahan. Looked throughout league and suprisingly half the teams if not 3/4 of them would not have an upgrade for Monahan in my opinion. I see if we trade Monahan we want to trade him with other piece/or pieces to upgrade our 1st line center. Maybe Monahan, Hanifin and a 2nd for Barkov. something along those lines.

I get the idea, just don't know why FLA would ever trade him.

He's due for a sizeable raise after 2021/22 season, but his cap hit is only $5.9m now ($4.75m actual now and $7.75m next).

Monahan's actuals are a bit more flat, so I can see some (minor) logic in them positioning themselves for the next deal.

Hanifin does make sense from a needs perspective; most of their D is over 30.

Good suggestion though.

Sasha was a player I was hoping (unrealistically) would fall to us.

If that's all it would take, I would be on board.

I think BT should be asking Tampa about trading Kylington and Ryan for Tyler Johnson and Cirelli.

Tampa has to retain up to 2m.

TBL can't afford to re-sign Cirelli and the two D that are RFAs.

While this is almost equal money going and coming, it gets them out of $5m long term.

They only have $2m dead cap space for 3 years.

Ryan is a one year committment.

This is the price TBL has to pay to remain competetive.

Nobody claimed Johnson for free.

Any trade he would approve would cost them a 1st to move.

And that's assuming any of his agreed to teams wants him.

They give up the better player in Cirelli, but gain long term cap space and a young D.

Ryan replaces some of what Cirelli provides.

After re-signing Cirelli, we would be capped out.

Gives us the luxury of trading Bennett if needed.

Cirelli is at worst a 3C.

With the signings, I feel something is afoot. Methinks BT has something up his sleeve. FlamesFan4Life brought up Ottawa as a trade partner in the UFA thread. I can see them being extremely interested in Hanifin - not sure they’d take Ryan tho. But again, Ottawa may part with a very decent piece for Hanifin. 

just spit-ballin here. Brady Tkachuk. 4th overall pick. His ELC expires after this season and he’s an RFA. He’ll be due a raise. Hanifin. 5th overall pick. Young and locked down for 4 more seasons. Carries a team friendly (read: “Owner Friendly”, especially for Melnyk) low salary. Include Ryan in the deal to replace the forward spot lost in Brady’s departure. Ryan’s contract expires after this season (like Brady’s). 

I’m not sure Brady is what we need, per se, but damn teams would hate to play against us with both Tkachuks. Then we sign Corey Perry to become the most loathed team in the league!

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think BT should be asking Tampa about trading Kylington and Ryan for Tyler Johnson and Cirelli.

Tampa has to retain up to 2m.

TBL can't afford to re-sign Cirelli and the two D that are RFAs.

While this is almost equal money going and coming, it gets them out of $5m long term.

They only have $2m dead cap space for 3 years.

Ryan is a one year committment.

This is the price TBL has to pay to remain competetive.

Nobody claimed Johnson for free.

Any trade he would approve would cost them a 1st to move.

And that's assuming any of his agreed to teams wants him.

They give up the better player in Cirelli, but gain long term cap space and a young D.

Ryan replaces some of what Cirelli provides.

After re-signing Cirelli, we would be capped out.

Gives us the luxury of trading Bennett if needed.

Cirelli is at worst a 3C.

Not bad at all TD. Not bad at all! 🍻

On 10/25/2020 at 1:01 AM, lou44291 said:

With the signings, I feel something is afoot. Methinks BT has something up his sleeve. FlamesFan4Life brought up Ottawa as a trade partner in the UFA thread. I can see them being extremely interested in Hanifin - not sure they’d take Ryan tho. But again, Ottawa may part with a very decent piece for Hanifin. 

just spit-ballin here. Brady Tkachuk. 4th overall pick. His ELC expires after this season and he’s an RFA. He’ll be due a raise. Hanifin. 5th overall pick. Young and locked down for 4 more seasons. Carries a team friendly (read: “Owner Friendly”, especially for Melnyk) low salary. Include Ryan in the deal to replace the forward spot lost in Brady’s departure. Ryan’s contract expires after this season (like Brady’s). 

I’m not sure Brady is what we need, per se, but damn teams would hate to play against us with both Tkachuks. Then we sign Corey Perry to become the most loathed team in the league!

To keep spit-ballin here...and dreaming a little. Wouldn’t mind this at all with Brady signing for 8 years (now that we would have his rights) at $8 million/year or at least 3 years for $6-$7 million. Let’s include a second rounder with Hanifin and a younger forward prospect with some upside as OTT may not want Ryan and we could use him for depth this year for a cup run once you read further below. OTT would include a fourth rounder.

Problem with this is it would give us 3 top 6 LW so we could send Gaudreau and Kylington to WPG for Laine who we extend for 7 or 8 years at $9-$9.5 million.

At the deadline, once the Hall/Eichel experiment in BUF is over due to a Hall injury and Eichel gets cranky, we could ship Monahan, Backlund, Lucic (Flames retain $1.5-$2 million of the Lucic contract), a first, and the fourth from OTT to BUF for Eichel, Girgensons, and Jokiharju. To make cap room it would be good to unload more salary which is why Lucic is added in and you take Girgensons back so BUF moves out a disappointing draft pick and roster player as he is out of favor there. If you have to buy out Girgensons later it’s not so bad. Both Lucic and Girgensons have some term left. Eichel would love to play with Laine and the Tkachuk boys.

Tkachuk-Eichel-Laine 

Tkachuk-Bennett-Lindholm or

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane

Not a bad top six or seven with grease and scoring. We are younger, bigger, the future looks bright, and you never know. Eichel vs McDavid to ramp up the Battle of Alberta.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 7wit said:

To keep spit-ballin here...and dreaming a little. Wouldn’t mind this at all with Brady signing for 8 years (now that we would have his rights) at $8 million/year or at least 3 years for $6-$7 million. Let’s include a second rounder with Hanifin and a younger forward prospect with some upside as OTT may not want Ryan and we could use him for depth this year for a cup run once you read further below. OTT would include a fourth rounder.

Problem with this is it would give us 3 top 6 LW so we could send Gaudreau and Kylington to WPG for Laine who we extend for 7 or 8 years at $9-$9.5 million.

At the deadline, once the Hall/Eichel experiment in BUF is over due to a Hall injury and Eichel gets cranky, we could ship Monahan, Backlund, Lucic (Flames retain $1.5-$2 million of the Lucic contract), a first, and the fourth from OTT to BUF for Eichel, Girgensons, and Jokiharju. To make cap room it would be good to unload more salary which is why Lucic is added in and you take Girgensons back so BUF moves out a disappointing draft pick and roster player as he is out of favor there. If you have to buy out Girgensons later it’s not so bad. Both Lucic and Girgensons have some term left. Eichel would love to play with Laine and the Tkachuk boys.

Tkachuk-Eichel-Laine 

Not a bad top six or seven with grease and scoring. We are younger, bigger, the future looks bright, and you never know. Eichel vs McDavid to ramp up the Battle of Alberta.

You gotta dream big, right 7wit? 😁🤘🏻

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 7wit said:

Tkachuk-Eichel-Laine 

why not sign Daniel Tkachuk to a league min contract and have all 3 on the same line.. then.. move out an assistant coach and sign Daddy Chuk

31 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

why not sign Daniel Tkachuk to a league min contract and have all 3 on the same line.. then.. move out an assistant coach and sign Daddy Chuk

Different family if you are referring to Daniel Tkaczuk.  

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Different family if you are referring to Daniel Tkaczuk.  

But we can trade for Boris Katchouk from TBay.  Sounds like hard working LHS LW.  Exactly BT's type of player.

And for that matter, try to get TBay to throw in Barclay Goodrow.  And then somehow acquire Frederick Gaudreau to form a Gaudreau - Goodrow - Gaudreau line.

15 hours ago, lou44291 said:

You gotta dream big, right 7wit? 😁🤘🏻

All in! You got it.

Couple ideas:

Trade Gaudreau to Boston for Debrusk + 1st + 2nd. Boston's core is aging, and with Pastrnak and Marchand on the LTIR, they may be looking for a way to boost their offense for a couple years before needing a teardown.  No doubt they get the best player here, but Debrusk has some pop.

Next: offer sheet Sergachev.  If Tampa matches, offer sheet Cirelli. Unload Hanifin for picks if we get Sergachev, Bennett and Ryan (or Backlund) if we get Cirelli.

Finally: Try to pry Barzal from NYI.  They will have a hard time signing both Barzal and Pulock, maybe a deal around Monahan for Barzal could be worked out.  Monahan + 1st for Barzal + 3rd.

Tkachuk-Barzal-Lindholm

Debrusk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Gio-Anderson

Sergachev-Tanev

1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

Couple ideas:

Trade Gaudreau to Boston for Debrusk + 1st + 2nd. Boston's core is aging, and with Pastrnak and Marchand on the LTIR, they may be looking for a way to boost their offense for a couple years before needing a teardown.  No doubt they get the best player here, but Debrusk has some pop.

Next: offer sheet Sergachev.  If Tampa matches, offer sheet Cirelli. Unload Hanifin for picks if we get Sergachev, Bennett and Ryan (or Backlund) if we get Cirelli.

Finally: Try to pry Barzal from NYI.  They will have a hard time signing both Barzal and Pulock, maybe a deal around Monahan for Barzal could be worked out.  Monahan + 1st for Barzal + 3rd.

Tkachuk-Barzal-Lindholm

Debrusk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Gio-Anderson

Sergachev-Tanev

I will bite.

Scratch the top part and focus on the bolded.

I think the two are similar in value.  

Maybe not exact, but similar.

Barzal's career high is 22 goals.

He would have exceeded that in a full season, but anyway.

Monahan is over 30 in 3 seasons.

Why would we be expected to give up a 1st plus Monahan for Barzal + 3rd?

The other issue is that this doesn't help them with the cap.

Monahan is high $6's, and they only have $8m+ with Barzal + Pulock or Monahan + Pulock.

Let me throw up a minor trade that helps two guys and their teams.

Niku for Kylington straight up.

Niku is below Poolman.

Kylington is never going to get used on RD, so he's blocked by Gio, Hanifin, Valimaki, and Mackey.

He'll never crack RD except in the odd case.

In WPG, Kylington would or should be able to beat out Sbisa.

In CGY, we can choose to carry an extra cheap RD or have him play as needed in the AHL (if a season exists).

The expected salary is probably equal.

Neither has really progressed at expected levels.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

No cap space though.  What can we do?  Even a $1-mil vet is hard.

My guess would be Ryan for a guy like Nick Jensen out of Washington. Something like that, a guy that makes the same or less than Ryan

I get the rumor. Treliving does lack LS-RS balance if he can get it and loves his defensive depth. 

but in practice, I don't see it. has to be a dollar for dollar trade (very few options there) and I still don't see the team moving Ryan. 

I'm not a big fan of Dreger, and he doesn't seem to have a lot of Flames sources but to play along I wonder if the target would be dangling Kylington and asking an interested team to retain salary on someone they like. Names like Connor Carrick, Scott Mayfield or Connor Clifton would seem to fit their mold but it would really depend on what those teams think of Kylington.