The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-november-10-2020/

This article believes if the Flames are willing to move Hanifin then Buffalo, Detroit, and Columbus could all be interested.

BUF,

Hanifin ($4.9x4) for Reinhart ($5.2x1)

- suggested a lot here before.  Maybe Montour.  Maybe we take a chance on Mittlestadt who is trending into a bust but was an 8th overall pick. 

DET,

?

CBJ,

?

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

This article believes if the Flames are willing to move Hanifin then Buffalo, Detroit, and Columbus could all be interested.

BUF,

- suggested a lot here before.  Maybe Montour.  Maybe we take a chance on Mittlestadt who is trending into a bust but was an 8th overall pick. 

DET,

?

CBJ,

?

I don’t love DET as a trade partner, but my ask would be Tyler Bertuzzi. He’s a better player than Hanifin,  but has 1yr left then is an RFA that is a year from UFA. Maybe the disparity in term makes the values even out

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

BUF,

DET,

?

CBJ,

?

I don't think anyone on BUF active roster would work, aside from maybe Risto.  I strongly doubt Buf does Hanifin for Reinhart.  Maybe Hanifin + Bennett gets it done.

From DET, I would love Bertuzzi as well, but again we would have to add a guy like Bennett.  Maybe you could swing one for futures and get Seider for Hanifin (I know he was their 1st rounder in 2019, but I don't really see why he was drafted so high. Has some upside mind you, shoots right as well). Then we could pick up Vatanen.

As for CBJ, the best target is probably Bjorkstrand.

On 11/13/2020 at 11:57 AM, The_People1 said:

BUF,

DET,

?

CBJ,

?

I can see why we might want to move Hanifin but I'm not entirely sure how we can afford to lose more defencemen.

it's a tough one, because one could argue he hurts us more than helps (based on plus minus) and then yes you can make the arguement for a trade.   

But if you trade Hanifin you kind of need a defenceman back and the only way to do that is to trade a forward of equal or greater value (likely in a second trade).

IMHO we should just do that 2nd trade and skip the first.

I for one am for keeping Hanifin.

I see a duo of Hanifin/Andersson overtaking Geo/Tanev for the 1st pairing at sometime in the late season.

Also I see Kylington as the down the road Brodie replacement but better. His speed is equal and is physically stronger with only his hockey IQ needing to improve..

• Like 1

I wonder if Chicago needs help in goal and on defence. Crawford is not signed yet and it seems as though Kirby Dach overtook Dylan Strome for #2 Center in the playoffs. Would Chicago be willing to part with Strome? Would an offer of Hanifin, Bennett, and Rittich for Strome, Connor Murphy, and maybe a Malcolm Subban be possible? Flames could sign a Craig Anderson or similar as an adequate backup and wouldn’t be concerned with losing Rittich to Seattle or for nothing next year.

6 minutes ago, 7wit said:

I wonder if Chicago needs help in goal and on defence. Crawford is not signed yet and it seems as though Kirby Dach overtook Dylan Strome for #2 Center in the playoffs. Would Chicago be willing to part with Strome? Would an offer of Hanifin, Bennett, and Rittich for Strome, Connor Murphy, and maybe a Malcolm Subban be possible? Flames could sign a Craig Anderson or similar as an adequate backup and wouldn’t be concerned with losing Rittich to Seattle or for nothing next year.

Strome is too slow.  Poor skating overall.  I would pass.

8 hours ago, 7wit said:

Theres nobody in that deal coming in that makes the Flames any better.

17 hours ago, 7wit said:

Crawford signed with NJ.

The Hawks were open about their intentions of trying to re-stock the cupboards. I think they are fine with going young in net this season. Playoffs likely aren’t the goal for them.

On 11/15/2020 at 12:23 AM, 7wit said:

The only deal that makes sense for us would be Strome for Ryan.

CHI gets a player they can use up and down the lineup.

CGY gets a young player that could turn his career around.

Not sure why CHI would want to do that, other than to placate Toews and Kane.

It doesn't make them much better.

On 11/16/2020 at 12:16 PM, cross16 said:

I think Strome is available if you want him. 

I would not want him. 

and there must be a good reason why not, care to share? 

Personally, I’d take a flyer on him, ryan will start to decline, probably this year so he would a decent risk project with some size, he definitely has potential to be really good if (and Cgy sucks at this true) but if they were to put some effort into developing him...

in an ideal world that would give us Bennet and Strome for line 2 and 3 after Backlund is done which will be soon in another 2-3 years...with any luck one of Strome and Bennet should develop??? Hopefully? Probably Bennet as #2 Ctr and Strome as a solid #3 Ctr? 

11 hours ago, MP5029 said:

and there must be a good reason why not, care to share? 

Personally, I’d take a flyer on him, ryan will start to decline, probably this year so he would a decent risk project with some size, he definitely has potential to be really good if (and Cgy sucks at this true) but if they were to put some effort into developing him...

in an ideal world that would give us Bennet and Strome for line 2 and 3 after Backlund is done which will be soon in another 2-3 years...with any luck one of Strome and Bennet should develop??? Hopefully? Probably Bennet as #2 Ctr and Strome as a solid #3 Ctr? 

Id personally pass on Strome as well.

He has size but doesn't use it.

Lacks foot speed and is wildly inconsistent.

On 11/26/2020 at 8:25 PM, Sarasti said:

Id personally pass on Strome as well.

He has size but doesn't use it.

Lacks foot speed and is wildly inconsistent.

exactly he’s a risk but I think could be had for cheap, and could have some up side...

lack of foot speed is a bit of an issue for sure not much can be done, though we do have a good skate coach, or so I hear, which many scouts say they are not very concerned about foot speed as most NHL clubs have great power skating coaches that can fix that...however, he’s been in the NHL for a bit so that issue should be less now but it’s not so it’s either he’s not able/willing to learn  or and more likely not a thing he can physically do..that’s something best left to the proper staff to figure out.

I was not aware of that speed issue, but depending on the circumstances he could still be a low risk with high (well reasonable higher) return type guy...I kinda have a sense he’s a Glencross type of the right team were to take a flyer on him 

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

exactly he’s a risk but I think could be had for cheap, and could have some up side...

lack of foot speed is a bit of an issue for sure not much can be done, though we do have a good skate coach, or so I hear, which many scouts say they are not very concerned about foot speed as most NHL clubs have great power skating coaches that can fix that...however, he’s been in the NHL for a bit so that issue should be less now but it’s not so it’s either he’s not able/willing to learn  or and more likely not a thing he can physically do..that’s something best left to the proper staff to figure out.

I was not aware of that speed issue, but depending on the circumstances he could still be a low risk with high (well reasonable higher) return type guy...I kinda have a sense he’s a Glencross type of the right team were to take a flyer on him 

A team like CHI is going to place a high value on him.

He can be re-signed for a reasonable amount and they work on his issues.

I think he less Glencross and more of a Janko.

Skilled but doesn't put everything together.

Work in progress that could turn into the player they want.

You are not going to get him for a late round pick or a prospect.

You would need to give up something like Dube or Mangiapane.

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

No that's the thing.  He's not going to be cheap.  He averaged decent stats in two seasons with the Blackhawks.  Former 3rd overall pick is going to cost whatever Sam Bennett is worth.  That's a heavy payment.

No way Derek Ryan is enough to get it done.  It's going to cost Bennett or Hanifin or something so no thanks.

Rumour was out there that Dubois wasn’t at camp and since he hadn’t been signed yet he requested a trade. He has now signed 2 years at 5 mil per but apparently still wants out of Columbus. Sign and trade likely easier to get value than trading RFA rights.

What would it take to get Dubois out of Columbus? 20, 27 and 18 goals and 28, 34, 31 assists in each of his first 3 seasons. At 22 years old, he is a 6’3 218 lbs left shot centre. Also +8, +16, -2. 

If Monahan would accept the trade, would a straight across trade make sense? Columbus can afford the extra 1.375 mil cap. Saves Calgary 1.375 mil cap hit and 1 year shorter contract plus a younger, bigger C. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Rumour was out there that Dubois wasn’t at camp and since he hadn’t been signed yet he requested a trade. He has now signed 2 years at 5 mil per but apparently still wants out of Columbus. Sign and trade likely easier to get value than trading RFA rights.

What would it take to get Dubois out of Columbus? 20, 27 and 18 goals and 28, 34, 31 assists in each of his first 3 seasons. At 22 years old, he is a 6’3 218 lbs left shot centre. Also +8, +16, -2. 

If Monahan would accept the trade, would a straight across trade make sense? Columbus can afford the extra 1.375 mil cap. Saves Calgary 1.375 mil cap hit and 1 year shorter contract plus a younger, bigger C. 

Thoughts?

I would do Dubois for Monahan straight across. I am not sure Dubois will score at the same rate as Monahan, but his all around game is much better.

2 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Thoughts?

I’d do it. Would CBJ? 

Monahan is the more established player for sure with multiple 30+ goal seasons. Dubois hasn’t hit that mark. Monahan is also signed for an extra year which gives Columbus cost control longer. Also with Dubois having a public request for trade puts them at a disadvantage.

6 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Thoughts?

Yes, I wouldn't even think twice.  We gain 4 years + RFA status VS Monahan who goes UFA after 3 years.

17 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Thoughts?

If he's made it public that he wants out I can think of 30 other teams that would gladly take him in. Some willing and able to offer more than the Flames can. In short, I dont think Mony alone gets it done.

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

If he's made it public that he wants out I can think of 30 other teams that would gladly take him in. Some willing and able to offer more than the Flames can. In short, I dont think Mony alone gets it done.

You may be correct that other teams may have something better to offer for Dubois, but with the flat cap and the majority of teams close to it, I don’t think the pool of trade candidates is as big as you suggest. Some significant juggling would need to take place. Those other teams also need to be willing to give up a player of value (NHL roster player) in return. Again, I think the teams that could actually facilitate a trade like this aren’t many. 

edit - CBJ has $4mil available in cap space. So they would be able to take on more salary in return if the return was more valuable to them than the player going out. I’m sure they’re not looking to use that cap space for filler.