The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Better than buying out the final year of his contract and taking the penalty for it.  Of course try to trade him for something first if we can.

It really isn’t if you want to compete for a cup the next couple years, which the Flames clearly do. 

On this weeks 31 Thoughts Friedman says that Florida might be looking to move Brett Connolly. I wonder if a Bennett for Connolly trade would work, or at least make up a framework for a trade. 

I would look at a Connolly trade, I think he fits perfectly into a top 9 role for this team. RHS RW, with size, 6'3" 191lbs. Connolly won a Cup with Washington.

Not sure if the Bennett part makes sense, just thinking it might be a good fit for both players.

There are a lot similarities between Bennett and Connolly, both were high draft picks, who dealt with injuries before they started in the NHL, both struggled to find their footing in the NHL with the team that drafted them. Connolly finally figured out how to be an effective bottom 6 player once he got out of Tampa and now he is a guy who can play in your top 6 because of his natural skill and work ethic. 

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

On this weeks 31 Thoughts Friedman says that Florida might be looking to move Brett Connolly. I wonder if a Bennett for Connolly trade would work, or at least make up a framework for a trade. 

I would look at a Connolly trade, I think he fits perfectly into a top 9 role for this team. RHS RW, with size, 6'3" 191lbs. Connolly won a Cup with Washington.

Not sure if the Bennett part makes sense, just thinking it might be a good fit for both players.

There are a lot similarities between Bennett and Connolly, both were high draft picks, who dealt with injuries before they started in the NHL, both struggled to find their footing in the NHL with the team that drafted them. Connolly finally figured out how to be an effective bottom 6 player once he got out of Tampa and now he is a guy who can play in your top 6 because of his natural skill and work ethic. 

Not a bad suggestion.

Was hoping to have signed him as a UFA back when.

Why isn't he listed in the lineup?

Virtanen is the wrong character for this team.

I like his shot and his aggressiveness, but not his work ethic.

Bennett would actually make them a better team, regardless of his scoring there.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I've long been a Connolly fan but I really don't like the contract he got from Florida. 3 more years, including this one, at 3.5 mill is rough. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I've long been a Connolly fan but I really don't like the contract he got from Florida. 3 more years, including this one, at 3.5 mill is rough. 

See I am fine with his contract. He is still only 28 years old, and $3.5m for a guy who has been on a 20+ goal pace the last two seasons isn't that bad.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/feb-2021/maple-leafs-interested-in-bennett#.YBq25Kf9tD0.twitter

The 4th Period is reporting that the Leafs are showing interest in Bennett and that the Flames inquired about Travis Dermott in the offseason. 

They also said that the Ducks and the Wild might have interest.

24 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/feb-2021/maple-leafs-interested-in-bennett#.YBq25Kf9tD0.twitter

The 4th Period is reporting that the Leafs are showing interest in Bennett and that the Flames inquired about Travis Dermott in the offseason. 

They also said that the Ducks and the Wild might have interest.

Leafs

Dermott - another LD?

Kerfoot - hasn't been as good in TO as he was in COL; higher cap hit than Bennett though

ANA

Rakell - about the only player there that even interests me; would need to add to balance cap as well as value

Minny

Fiala - bit undersized for my liking, but he can score

Greenway - lighting it up so far, doubtful

59 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Leafs

Dermott - another LD?

Kerfoot - hasn't been as good in TO as he was in COL; higher cap hit than Bennett though

ANA

Rakell - about the only player there that even interests me; would need to add to balance cap as well as value

Minny

Fiala - bit undersized for my liking, but he can score

Greenway - lighting it up so far, doubtful

I've been wanting us to target greenway for awhile so ya, that would be a great add if we could get him.

Anaheim has lots of young players of interest but they are rebuilding so will they let go of their youth?  Comtois, Terry, Steel, Jones, etc.  All worth looking into.  I would pass on Rakell because of cap hit and injury history.

As for the Leafs, only player that interests me is Hyman.  RHS could play RW for us in the top 6.  Would be an upgrade over Leivo/Simon.

I guess BT checks in on everyone. Sure he's a RHD, but there are some serious character issues. He's been traded twice already...

The team acquiring the player will have a PR nightmare on their hands. You also better have a strong locker-room to handle this guy.

I have no problem with checking in but I will have some strong words for the Flames if they trade for him. 

Just trade the guy already. At this point I don't really care what the return is, I just feel bad for the way Bennett has been jerked around since he got here. It's time for Treliving to do the right thing and move Bennett.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

I know Dreger says otherwise, but BT must be in trade talks. I have a hard time believing Simon is an upgrade

Connolly is sitting out.

Bennett now sitting out.

Hmm

If this is a performance related decision, I have no problem with it.

Overall, his performance has been okay.

Scoring rates, not so good.

Hitting and other things better.

Sounds to me that a trade is more likely the reason.

He's not a 4th line C.

We aren't that deep.

16 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Good point by Haynes

I don’t know how anyone can read that tweet by Haynes and actually make the case the Flames have not been awful in developing Bennett. 

it’s not worth freaking out because there could be logical reasons behind this. All I will say is if this is purely a coaching decision it’s just another example of horrendous management from Ward. He really seems determined to get in the way of his team reaching their potential. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don’t know how anyone can read that tweet by Haynes and actually make the case the Flames have not been awful in developing Bennett. 

it’s not worth freaking out because there could be logical reasons behind this. All I will say is if this is purely a coaching decision it’s just another example of horrendous management from Ward. He really seems determined to get in the way of his team reaching their potential. 

100%. 

If a trade isn't in the works, then it makes no sense. Like you said it's early, but if it's for playing reasons, this situation could turn out ugly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I get if he’s sitting him due to his play. He hasn’t really fit in anywhere this year at all. What is weird to me is that he threw the lines in a blender and didn’t keep together a pair that actually worked really well together (Bennett as C, Dube his RW). Since the beginning of the season he just hasn’t been good. A part of me thinks he doesn’t fit on wing, but isn’t a top3 C on the Flames. At least I don’t think we will know if he is. He was the best C on the Flames in the playoffs. So I don’t really know what is going on.

There’s an argument the Bennett should be elevating others games at C. But I think if there just isn’t enough there, it is next to impossible. Nordstrom was playing awful. Lucic was awful. And everyone wants to say it was Bennett who needed to prop them up.

Lucic and Nordstrom both have legs that took them until around 2 games ago to start moving and start actually doing something. Ryan looked rather crappy with them until a few games ago.

I agree, that he might need a seat, get his head in order, but from yesterday’s discussions on here, I also agree with others who think that the lines need to be cemented for a little bit here. Start playing as units, get used to each other, learn where each other goes in the play and how fast they get there. 

i like a bunch of line combos from some of you: JTech, TD, Cross, etc... I sometimes wish the coaches read the forums.

8 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

100%. 

If a trade isn't in the works, then it makes no sense. Like you said it's early, but if it's for playing reasons, this situation could turn out ugly. 

I don’t think he’s played that great and when he’s on a new line he tends to get in the way of what is happening. But to me that is on the coach not keeping lines together. If it was Lucic, Ward wouldn’t be taking him out. 

it’s a game of double standards. You are hard on players who make mistakes and then easy on ones who do that are vets and allow them to play through them. Bennett makes that mistake on the Pp the other night and he wouldn’t get any other looks on the pp...