The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
rickross

Calgary Flames Drafting and Development: Your Analysis

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

That is the hope, so it’s why I think it’s best now to keep our draft picks and develop them while this team is good. 

Windows are arbitrary but so is age. Years can go by fast and this core will age. 

Monahan is smart, but he can slow down sooner than some considering he’s not that fleet of foot already. Although there are some vets who last to their 40s and do so because of their hockey iq. 

It can be a double edge sword.

Look at EDM.

Supposedly all these prospects knocking on the door.

Most, if not all, will be stuck in Cali.

Bakersfield had one of the best records last year in the AHL.

Many are returning guys that got a taste of the NHL last season and won't get one this year.

New guys like Bouchard taking the minutes from guys like Bear or Jones.

You only have so many minutes to go around.

Just saying that too many guys cloud the picture.

We know who the best players are in Stockton.

A few guys will surprise and develop into NHL players.

That can happen when the pickings are slim.

Ideally, you turn over the guys you can't develop; the ones that look like they won't be NHL material.

You miss on a few, but many are just not NHL.

It’s good to know we’ll likely have an extra 3rd rd pick from the Neal/Lucic debacle. I’m thinking it’s purely currency for BT to sweeten a potential trade or transaction. We need more high end forwards in our system, as we’ve done a good job developing d men. 

On 10/16/2019 at 12:46 PM, rickross said:

It’s good to know we’ll likely have an extra 3rd rd pick from the Neal/Lucic debacle. I’m thinking it’s purely currency for BT to sweeten a potential trade or transaction. We need more high end forwards in our system, as we’ve done a good job developing d men. 

Neal is slowing down.

One EV goal since October 18th.

2 PPG in the last 13 games.

If, at the end of the season Neal is sitting at 20 goals, he will be sat by the coach (by KH demand).

Just speculation on my part, but I suspect that would be a tactic used.

Not too much coming out of the pipeline in the next 1-2 years. I think we have a decent group of 3rd and 4th liners...maybe a 2nd liner in the mix with Pelletier. Wolf looks as though he’s progressing but u just never know with goalies. With a new coach on the horizon do we need to re-evaluate our drafting philosophy? Are we at a point where we can say we are confident in the Flames ability to draft ?

15 minutes ago, rickross said:

Not too much coming out of the pipeline in the next 1-2 years. I think we have a decent group of 3rd and 4th liners...maybe a 2nd liner in the mix with Pelletier. Wolf looks as though he’s progressing but u just never know with goalies. With a new coach on the horizon do we need to re-evaluate our drafting philosophy? Are we at a point where we can say we are confident in the Flames ability to draft ?

It's hard to say what we have.

Some guys with really good junior numbers struggling a bit in the pros.

Have two killers in the Q.

Either could make the NHL next season.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

It's hard to say what we have.

Some guys with really good junior numbers struggling a bit in the pros.

Have two killers in the Q.

Either could make the NHL next season.

No blue chippers just a lot of hopefuls is essentially what we have. The future of the Flames is pretty damn hard to forecast. I guess Dube and Vali are it for the foreseeable future. I guess u can put Quine in the mix too. I’ll post it on another thread but it might be time to get a little concerned with the apparent limited scope of potential our future currently holds ....

Are there any players that look good that are undrafted or entering the 2020 draft that are playing in the World Juniors? 

There looks like there are a few guys on Canada. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/318885/jaromir-pytlik

I like the look of this guy. He's got size, speed and hands, plus plays in all situations. Could he be a 2nd liner or even a guy like Yelle. He's ranked at 63 for Future Considerations and 27th in ISS. 

That sounds like a 2nd rounder for us, possibly a 3rd rounder. Or hopefully we can get another 2nd rounder. Although, we may need to draft a few more D in this one. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/388222/nick-malik

Maybe this guy for JJ? Seems like a good calm goalie with fast reflexes and decent size. 

On 12/27/2019 at 10:02 PM, robrob74 said:

Are there any players that look good that are undrafted or entering the 2020 draft that are playing in the World Juniors? 

There looks like there are a few guys on Canada. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/318885/jaromir-pytlik

I like the look of this guy. He's got size, speed and hands, plus plays in all situations. Could he be a 2nd liner or even a guy like Yelle. He's ranked at 63 for Future Considerations and 27th in ISS. 

That sounds like a 2nd rounder for us, possibly a 3rd rounder. Or hopefully we can get another 2nd rounder. Although, we may need to draft a few more D in this one. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/388222/nick-malik

Maybe this guy for JJ? Seems like a good calm goalie with fast reflexes and decent size. 

well he looks good but My view is that goalie situation has stabilized for the forseeable future and we have a goalie or two likwe parsons that we will be developing.. we are in desperate need of top 2 line right handed forwards 

7 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

well he looks good but My view is that goalie situation has stabilized for the forseeable future and we have a goalie or two likwe parsons that we will be developing.. we are in desperate need of top 2 line right handed forwards 

thinking the 3rd round for a goalie though. We will probably have two of those picks this year with the oils pick coming here 

hey it is kipper!

21 hours ago, robrob74 said:

thinking the 3rd round for a goalie though. We will probably have two of those picks this year with the oils pick coming here 

hey it is kipper!

we won't be able to sign him on 50 player roster or send him to farm for at least the next 3-5 years.. waste of a pick this year

we''ll lose him to redraft before we can sign him

3 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

we won't be able to sign him on 50 player roster or send him to farm for at least the next 3-5 years.. waste of a pick this year

we''ll lose him to redraft before we can sign him

but a goalie can play in the junior league for possibly two more seasons. Then we lose Gillies and possibly others if they don’t progress. 

the Caps and the lightening have been drafting goalies and they have clear #1’s. We don’t have that yet with any of our prospects. We’d still have time to buy the new pick time. 

21 hours ago, robrob74 said:

we wpn't have to worry about that if we can't find anyy players to hit the net with a shot.. another pathetic showing so far tonight... gaudreauu with his usual ice time g

.. has one shot attempt.. wide of net and one takeaway

but a goalie can play in the junior league for possibly two more seasons. Then we lose Gillies and possibly others if they don’t progress. 

the Caps and the lightening have been drafting goalies and they have clear #1’s. We don’t have that yet with any of our prospects. We’d still have time to buy the new pick time.