Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
rickross

Calgary Flames Drafting and Development: Your Analysis

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I know the KHL is a big step for a junior player to take.

But I wonder how far away from the NHL he really is.

He was pretty impressive at the Subway Series last year.

Sure, it's just junior players, but he shined.

 

I won't get all worked up about one KHL game, but you have to wonder.

Just thinking about fit for a minute, would he be right for Backlund or for Bennett.

 

Tkachuk-Backlund-Zav

Dube-Bennett-Mangiapane

 

or would this be more appropriate

 

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Dube-Bennett-Zav

 

I actually think both could work.  Bennett's line becomes less of a grinding line and more skill and speed.  Something he never had.

 

I really liked Zav in both of the last two training camps.

Specifically the most recent where I thought he was very close to pushing for a roster spot.

 

Looking like a great pickup for a 7th rounder so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that he is playing in the K perhaps he will stay there why bother coming back to the NHL that might not even be around in another yr. Seems they are sending there players to other teams now this could be the start to folding up the tents ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, zima said:

Now that he is playing in the K perhaps he will stay there why bother coming back to the NHL that might not even be around in another yr. Seems they are sending there players to other teams now this could be the start to folding up the tents ?

Considering there is no start date or schedule/bubble plan for the next season as of yet why not send your prospects out and get some ice time in. Still alot to be figured out before a new season can be considered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just trying to get some thoughts on where ppl think the NHL is heading hard to sustain a huge business like the NHL when no ppl are coming to the games when players seem to think they should get 9-12 mill a season. I don't see the business staying in tacked with that kind of greed ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JTech780 said:

 

 

It's too bad Wolf and Knight can't offset each other by a year or something. I expect the US to ride Knight no matter what. 

 

Nodler is nice to see and I think he's got an outside shot to make the team as a 3rd/4th line center. 

 

39 minutes ago, zima said:

Now that he is playing in the K perhaps he will stay there why bother coming back to the NHL that might not even be around in another yr. Seems they are sending there players to other teams now this could be the start to folding up the tents ?

 

He is under contract with the Flames so if he wanted to do that he would first have to ask for a release and Flames would have to grant it but he also just signed it last year. Unlikely he would change his mind that soon. 

 

The Flames loaned him there to get ice time because the AHL is potentially not going to play at all this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

It's too bad Wolf and Knight can't offset each other by a year or something. I expect the US to ride Knight no matter what. 

 

Nodler is nice to see and I think he's got an outside shot to make the team as a 3rd/4th line center. 

 

 

He is under contract with the Flames so if he wanted to do that he would first have to ask for a release and Flames would have to grant it but he also just signed it last year. Unlikely he would change his mind that soon. 

 

The Flames loaned him there to get ice time because the AHL is potentially not going to play at all this season. 

 

I hear what you are saying about Knight.  I have to wonder if Wolf will outplay him in the lead up to the WJC.

Seeing as Knight didn't get it done last year, he might only have a short leash this year's WJC.

Can't really blame the loss on him, but USA always wants to win.

 

As far as Zavgorodny, I am interested to see what kind of "season" he has in Russia before the NHL kicks off.

A little worried that the AHL may not at all, but who knows at this point.

A lot of teams based in Cali.

Between COVID, wildfires, earthquakes who know if they will play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I've seen some suggestions one of them is Ruzicka

 

 

 

He was skating with HC Slovan Bratislava, but they had not signed any transfer agreement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Valimaki played 22 mins in his first game back in the Finish league. 

 

Seems pretty alright so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now 25 mins in his second game. 
 

would certainly appear like rust is not a factor for him after the injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Now 25 mins in his second game. 
 

would certainly appear like rust is not a factor for him after the injury. 

L

 

it is good to hear, but the hope is he doesn’t overextend himself as he’s the kind that will push himself, but possibly to injury...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Now 25 mins in his second game. 
 

would certainly appear like rust is not a factor for him after the injury. 

 

The only concern I have is the schedule would have him play close to 30 games by the time the NHL starts.

Add that to a full season and it's a crap ton of games.

It would be smart to healthy scratch him for any B2B or tough schedule starts.

Not that I want to, but I think it would be prudent.

100 games without playoffs is far too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing about the goalie we drafted was they said they didn’t see a lot of him in person but watched a lot of video. Sigilet was one of the main guys to watch his play on video. They said he had a lot of input on evaluating the a Russian goalie’s play. I dunno if that’s good or bad as I feel he hasn’t done great in managing our own  goalies play during the season so it leaves me kind of thinking WTF?

 

he seems to have no clue when to take guys out and leave guys in, to fix what is or isn’t working for our own goalies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

 

he seems to have no clue when to take guys out and leave guys in, to fix what is or isn’t working for our own goalies. 

To be fair, Cam Talbot came to Calgary coming off a season with a save% of .890. In his one and likely only season in CGY, he had a .919 and is now headed for a nice pay day as a free agent. Criticism of Sigalet is fair, but he also deserves some praise because he had a hand in reviving Talbot's career.

 

Sigalet also played a role in the signing if Rittich, which has been a solid move for the Flames

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two more assists for Valimaki, 4 points in 4 games averaging 22:32 mins a night. Good start for the young defenseman.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Two more assists for Valimaki, 4 points in 4 games averaging 22:32 mins a night. Good start for the young defenseman.

 

One of those 🍎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyler Parsons resigned the other day and it was very under the radar In terms of attention. He was once our new goalie of the future after it was clear Gillies wasn’t it. I know he’s been injured but perhaps there’s still a chance for this kid to revive his prospect and re emerge 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, rickross said:

Tyler Parsons resigned the other day and it was very under the radar In terms of attention. He was once our new goalie of the future after it was clear Gillies wasn’t it. I know he’s been injured but perhaps there’s still a chance for this kid to revive his prospect and re emerge 

 

His path to the NHL hit a lot of wrong turns.

I won't worry about him right now.

He's going to need a decent season in the AHL to get a chance of a backup assignment.

That is only likely if Rittich is injured and it's a B2B situation.

Games have such a big importance, so you just can't give him a shot because he has earned it.

He has to show something really good in the AHL first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

 

 

I think Phillips is closer to being NHL ready than most of us realize.

 

He has been held back by the use of Rieder, Buddy, etc.

Gawdin is probably higher on the depth chart if Ryan is still on the roster.

Based on who we have today, a trade of Ryan might give you a 4th line of Rinaldo-Gawdin-Phillips

Not exactly the right fit.

 

I would like to see something like Lucic-Gawdin-Phillips.

That means we have traded Ryan, but also Hanifin for forward help.

For the sake of argument, let's say we traded Hanifin for a top 6 RW and Ryan for a pick.

3rd line is Dube-Bennett-Mangiapane

Sorry, but I feel that Rinaldo should not be on the ice for more than 10 games.

A 4th line with Lucic and two guys that can skate and forecheck sounds like fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

 

He has been held back by the use of Rieder, Buddy, etc.

Gawdin is probably higher on the depth chart if Ryan is still on the roster.

Based on who we have today, a trade of Ryan might give you a 4th line of Rinaldo-Gawdin-Phillips

Not exactly the right fit.

 

I would like to see something like Lucic-Gawdin-Phillips.

That means we have traded Ryan, but also Hanifin for forward help.

For the sake of argument, let's say we traded Hanifin for a top 6 RW and Ryan for a pick.

3rd line is Dube-Bennett-Mangiapane

Sorry, but I feel that Rinaldo should not be on the ice for more than 10 games.

A 4th line with Lucic and two guys that can skate and forecheck sounds like fun.

I have been saying this for awhile, also why I was suggesting Ryan and a pick for Julien Gauthier (NYR), makes that fourth line a lot to handle. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...