The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xstrike

Summer Olympics 2016

It's a bit late, but no one else has made an Olympic thread yet.

First, what a tie for gold between Simone Manuel of the US and Penny Oleksiak of Canada.

Second, I'm going for the Canadian Women's soccer team now. I wanted the US and Canada to meet in the finals, but with the US knocked out... that won't happen. Congrats to the Canadian Women for their victory over Germany in group play.

I haven't been following Canada much outside of soccer and swimming, but I did watch the Canadian Men's volleyball team push against Brazil. I was really hoping they could follow up the set 1 victory with an upset. Oh well.

Are the rest of y'all enjoying the Olympics? Let the discussion begin!

I only watched the men's 100m.  

That's probably THE event to watch in all of Olympics.  It was pretty exciting because you have a banged up Usain Bolt trying to defend his title and you didn't know if his hamstring would hold it together.  Out of the gate, it looked like Gatlin was going to win by exploding into a good 2m lead over everybody by the 20m mark.  Right when doubt set in, Bolt kicked it into high gear and by the 80m mark, over took Gatlin for good.  Classic Usain Bolt running, slow out of the gate but once he gets going, he's unbeatable.

Not to take anything away from Michael Phelps but I think what Bolt has accomplished is more impressive.  For me personally, i'm not a good swimmer.  I think a majority of people in the world aren't good swimmers and many can't even swim at all.  So, it's therefore very difficult to relate to Phelps and appreciate Phelps's dominance.  On the other hand, everybody in the world can run. (well, barring physical health).  So while Phelps beat 1-billion swimmers in the world for 4 Olympics, Bolt beat 7-billion runners in the world for 3 Olympics.  Bolt should go down as THE greatest Olympian of all time.

Kudos to De Grasse who everybody is now anointing as the "next one".  It's exciting to know he represents Canada and it will be extremely exciting in the next Olympics to see if he can bring home the gold.

I only watched the men's 100m.  

That's probably THE event to watch in all of Olympics.  It was pretty exciting because you have a banged up Usain Bolt trying to defend his title and you didn't know if his hamstring would hold it together.  Out of the gate, it looked like Gatlin was going to win by exploding into a good 2m lead over everybody by the 20m mark.  Right when doubt set in, Bolt kicked it into high gear and by the 80m mark, over took Gatlin for good.  Classic Usain Bolt running, slow out of the gate but once he gets going, he's unbeatable.

Not to take anything away from Michael Phelps but I think what Bolt has accomplished is more impressive.  For me personally, i'm not a good swimmer.  I think a majority of people in the world aren't good swimmers and many can't even swim at all.  So, it's therefore very difficult to relate to Phelps and appreciate Phelps's dominance.  On the other hand, everybody in the world can run. (well, barring physical health).  So while Phelps beat 1-billion swimmers in the world for 4 Olympics, Bolt beat 7-billion runners in the world for 3 Olympics.  Bolt should go down as THE greatest Olympian of all time.

Kudos to De Grasse who everybody is now anointing as the "next one".  It's exciting to know he represents Canada and it will be extremely exciting in the next Olympics to see if he can bring home the gold.

If Bolt wins the 200m, which I fully expect him too, I will agree with you that he is a more dominant Olympic athlete than Phelps. I think what is required of your body to be a top end sprinter for as long as Bolt has been it a more taxing and more physically demanding position than being a swimmer. Not only that, its not like Bolt just wins, he dominants and in a sport where historically its very tough to dominant. He still won that 100m with relative ease and that was the closest anyone has been to knocking him off in an Olympics.

Phelps will always have the eye poping totals in regrads to gold and total medals but that's not exactly a fair argument. Much easier to compete in 8 or 9 swimming events than it is to compete in 8 or 9 track and field events.

I'm so excited for Andre De Grasse though and while the "next one" talk can get a little old he is really backing it up. With both Bolt and Gatelin likely done after these games he certainly apperas next in line. His top end speed is so impressive and it actually isn't that far off Bolts. De Grasse just needs to add strength to be able to get to his top end speed faster and power out of the blocks. I'm actually more excited to see De Grasse run the 200m where its eaiser to get around a good or bad start.