Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_People1

Golf - LPGA - Canadian Open Calgary

2 posts in this topic

A totally belated topic but did anyone get a chance to go to the LPGA Canadian Open in Priddis Greens Golf and Country Club here in Calgary?  Last minute, i was able to make it and it turned out to be a pleasant experience.

This is the first time i ever watched golf live and it was awkward at first because when I golf, i don't want anyone to stare at me so it is okay if I stare at others when they golf?  You know what I mean?

It didn't help that I got there around 10am and the first golfer I got to see was Michelle Wie on her opening tee-off.  I mean man, Michelle Wie!  Standing less than 10 meters away from me!  We followed her through the first hole and it's true, when she putts, you're not really sure where to look.

After watching Wie putt out her first hole, we then went to watch golf.  We caught up with the leader group of Ariya Jutanugarn, In Gee Chun, and Seo Young Kim.  Followed them for a bit and then caught up with #1 world ranking Lydia Ko through several holes.  Lydia Ko had a chance to eagle but didn't get it done and then missed an easy 4 foot putt for birdie.  The chances were there early on but she couldn't deliver the KO punch.  Nonetheless, wow these ladies can play.  They made it look so easy.

Watched Brooke Henderson on the 17th and she wasted a great drive with a poor finish.  That said, boy they chose some pretty mean pin placements on the final day.  I don't know if anyone did good on the 17th.  Flag was tucked into the back corner with a nasty slope to the green that penalized approach shots landing outside of a 3m radius.

Longest putt i saw all day was probably 15 feet but other than that, it seemed like nothing outside of 10 feet was sinking.  I didn't get to see any crazy long putts.  I didn't see anyone chip in.  I didn't see any miracle shots go in.  Jutanugarn missed a hole in one by mere inches on the 15th par 3 but that was the closest anyone came (that I saw anyways).

In the end, congrats to Jutanugarn on winning the Canadian Open.  She was in control all day and at no time did she give anyone a remote thought that she'd give up that lead.  Congrats to Priddis who showcased a beautiful course (they must've nuked the who area with DDT cause there wasn't a mosquito to be found all day).

I was in Calgary this week, and when Annie asked why there were so many cars at the Canyon Meadows Golf Course for the Shaw Charity Classic which doesn't start for several days, I advised her that it was preparation. "How do you think they drive the balls?"

Love.