Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kulstad

New web page layout/format

13 posts in this topic

This is not a test.  I repeat, this is not a test.

It appears that MLBAM (the new web managers for all things NHL) have gone ahead and flipped the switch on the changes they planned over the summer.  As most of us can tell, the new changes do not look very pleasing.

I assure you that I will be in contact with MLBAM/NHL/Flames tech guys over the next few days to try and sort out what has happened, and what will be happening in the future.  I will pass along any information I am able to get.

Please watch this thread for any updates/developments.

Thank you all for your patience during this "period of growth"

I have just sent the following email to "The Powers That Be":

Good evening, everyone.

At some point today (21-Sep-2016), the format of the Calgary Flames website appears to have been changed from its long-standing layout to (presumably) the new MLBAM-created layout.  I cannot speak for the remainder of the Calgary Flames website, but there appears to be a formatting/programming/layout issue with the Fan Forums.

I have included screenshots (see attached) highlighting the biggest issues that are visible to our visitors.  The most prominent issue for users is the centering of all content (forum/thread titles, paragraphs, etc)

I fully understand that with any change, there are challenges that follow, however as a programmer and forum Administrator, I feel I would be remiss if I did not at least bring these issues to your attention.

If there is anything I can to do assist in further troubleshooting, please do not hesitate to let me know (I am more than happy to help).

If someone could please pass along a statement that I can give to our forum visitors to let them know that this issue is either (a) being looked into; or (B) not an issue, but the way things will be from now on, I believe it would definitely go a long way to help calm some nerves (especially with this issue coming so close on the heels of the NHL account update issues we’ve encountered).

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

I will post whatever relevant replies I receive.

Received from IPBoard tech support this morning.....

Hello,

When the NHL website was updated yesterday, the pages we "scrape" to fetch the outer templates were removed. Thus, our template scraper (which used to fetch a blank template from the front end and parse it into pieces that we used to build the community page templates) is no longer fetching the correct page, resulting in broken HTML being inserted into our templates.

We are looking into solutions for this.

Received from MLBAM this morning.....

Hi, 

We’ve been working with <external company/new contact name> on implementing a new header. If those changes aren’t being done today, we can discuss re-enabling the page that was used to scrape.

is anyone else getting these large blank spots in posts and then have a screen moving down continuously or is this something on my computer. HELP

43 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

is anyone else getting these large blank spots in posts and then have a screen moving down continuously or is this something on my computer. HELP

I moved this post from the Goaltending thread to here.

I occasionally get this problem myself, but I believe it has more to do with the forum database not loading completely when the page loads.  For example, every time you click a page, the format/layout template of the page is loaded, and then the database fills in the template.  Sometimes the database can be a little slow in retrieving the information needed, even though the template is ready for people to look at.  Once the data is loaded into the template, the page will then expand/grow as needed to accommodate the retrieved data.  The waiting for the data to be retrieved and populated results in "large blank spots in posts and then [having] a screen move down continuously"

Hope this helps

Mac, no I haven't seen that or heard about it from anyone else.  

There were other issues with people signing in, having to use their full email address, losing access to their accounts.

42 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There were other issues with people signing in, having to use their full email address, losing access to their accounts.

Weird and I can't seem to find a way to stop it as it occurs. Kulstad said it may be a loading problem with the site but I tried waiting and it still is happening in certain threads not all.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

Weird and I can't seem to find a way to stop it as it occurs. Kulstad said it may be a loading problem with the site but I tried waiting and it still is happening in certain threads not all.

It happens to me if I am using Internet Explorer and there is a tweet embedded on a post. If I use Edge or Chrome it works fine.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

It happens to me if I am using Internet Explorer and there is a tweet embedded on a post. If I use Edge or Chrome it works fine.

THX JT maybe I will switch to Chrome as I am on Explorer

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

THX JT maybe I will switch to Chrome as I am on Explorer

Sorry bud, should have asked if you were using IE.  I thought everyone had moved on from that.  I used to use Netscape until people stopped making websites that worked on both. :)

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Sorry bud, should have asked if you were using IE.  I thought everyone had moved on from that.  I used to use Netscape until people stopped making websites that worked on both. :)

Are rare opportunity to agree with travel_dude on the goaltending forum :)

Only one line of code would need to be added to the website to make it IE friendly:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" />

But as far as I'm concerned, it's one line too many.   IE users are just asking for viruses, long waits, and horrible experiences.   Less sites should be compatible with it, it's the Worst virus spreader out there.

22 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It happens to me occasionally.   I'd say once a week.   Usually when I am forced to use IE, and then I switch back to a Real browser.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0