MAC331

Backlund for the Selke

54 posts in this topic

I heard Elliott on SportsNet talking about all the Leafs that could be nominated for various Awards at the end of this season. Kadri for the Selke, can you imagine him winning this award over someone such as Backlund with the season he is putting together.

The interesting stat that they used was amount of time playing shorthanded.  Kadri's number is so low it's a joke.  Backlund is CGY's #1 PK player, or at least tied with Frolik.  Two-way means more than PP and EV.  Get a life Leafs Nation.

Just now, Carty said:

From NHL.com:   http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=24962

4f77865e41ac774ac78e3497016db63d.png

I just don't see Kadri as the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game...

The talk was how far he has come with his defensive side and it showing this season. I would say Backlund has been deserving the last few years and definitely with the year he is having this season.

While I don't disagree that Backlund has been better, if you are discounting Kadri as a nominee I think you are either blinded by hate or don't watch many Leafs games.

No doubt in my mind Kadri has been one of the best defensive centers this year. He and Backlund belong in the same sentence, no question. I get no one likes him and that's fine but Nazem Kadri is a really good hockey player. 

49 minutes ago, cross16 said:

While I don't disagree that Backlund has been better, if you are discounting Kadri as a nominee I think you are either blinded by hate or don't watch many Leafs games.

No doubt in my mind Kadri has been one of the best defensive centers this year. He and Backlund belong in the same sentence, no question. I get no one likes him and that's fine but Nazem Kadri is a really good hockey player. 

Think players like Bergeron and Datysuk as the role model of the defensive center.  Kardi does not play the same way.  If you were trying to hold a lead late in a game, would he be your first choice?  Not on the Leafs, but of any NHL player in the league.  

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Did I say anywhere Kadri shouldn't be in the conversation ?

54 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Think players like Bergeron and Datysuk as the role model of the defensive center.  Kardi does not play the same way.  If you were trying to hold a lead late in a game, would he be your first choice?  Not on the Leafs, but of any NHL player in the league.  

Kadri is playing a very similar role to backlund in toronto, it was his job to shutdown mcdavid for example when the oilers played the leafs. He may not get the same SH time as backlund, but that doesnt mean hes a bad defensive center.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Without a doubt. He's in the model of Bergeron for sure. Datuysk is a hall of fame player so if that is your benchmark for the Selke it's an unrealistic comparison.

Right now, I'm not sure there is a better matchup center than Kadri. I get where your saying that Backlund does some other things better, but if it came down to shutting down another top player Kadri is as good as any at that right now. 

37 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Did I say anywhere Kadri shouldn't be in the conversation ?

wasn't in response to anything you said

13 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Without a doubt. He's in the model of Bergeron for sure. Datuysk is a hall of fame player so if that is your benchmark for the Selke it's an unrealistic comparison.

Right now, I'm not sure there is a better matchup center than Kadri. I get where your saying that Backlund does some other things better, but if it came down to shutting down another top player Kadri is as good as any at that right now. 

Maybe, but lets face it, PK comes into the equation.  If he doesn't play any, then he won't get many votes.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe, but lets face it, PK comes into the equation.  If he doesn't play any, then he won't get many votes.

You think more highly of the media then I do :D

51 minutes ago, cross16 said:

You think more highly of the media then I do :D

Not in the least.

They are so much eastern based, it's not funny.  But their history is balanced player, not just playing EV and PK.

On 1/26/2017 at 2:31 PM, cross16 said:

Just about every player on the Selke Winners List is a Hall of Famer: (or likely to be a HOFer)

7a0d4fc2259f2b140fa2414cd2c3ec27.png

20 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Just about every player on the Selke Winners List is a Hall of Famer: (or likely to be a HOFer)

7a0d4fc2259f2b140fa2414cd2c3ec27.png

If you consider Bergeron a hall of famer I guess, but he isn't. So in the last 20 years 2 likely hall of famer have won it (Toews and Datsyuk). 

Of course if you are a hall of fame talent you are going to win awards. Doesn't mean you're benchmark for the award is that you need to be a hall of fame player. 

Would love to see Backlund get the attention he so rightly deserves and at the very least get nominated, although even if he gets nominated I doubt he wins.

This was the second thing I looked for after JGs Lady Byng report.

4th on that list of players is impressive.  Let us hope he stays good enough to get into the top 3 next year.

5 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

This was the second thing I looked for after JGs Lady Byng report.

4th on that list of players is impressive.  Let us hope he stays good enough to get into the top 3 next year.

Listening to the reasons why those players win is face off control, something Backlund needs to get way better at.

14 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Listening to the reasons why those players win is face off control, something Backlund needs to get way better at.

I was thinking the same thing last night, they all had numbers above 55%.

Sorry if in wrong thread, but here is a comparison of Turris/Backlund. The Turris contract could be used as a comparable for Backlund's camp. As you can see the two players are fairly similar, however the 2 areas I put the most emphasis on are shot generation and shot suppression which Backlund has the edge in.

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 6.45.45 PM.png

13 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Sorry if in wrong thread, but here is a comparison of Turris/Backlund. The Turris contract could be used as a comparable for Backlund's camp. As you can see the two players are fairly similar, however the 2 areas I put the most emphasis on are shot generation and shot suppression which Backlund has the edge in.

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 6.45.45 PM.png

If Backlund was willing to sign somewhere between 4.7M and max 5.5M over 5 seasons I think the Flames would do it.

38 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Speaking of Mikael Backlund... What's with all the penalties this year? 

Love. 

SSMB.jpg

The worst thing about Bennett and Backlund is not drawing penalties.

Backlund is the one I am at a loss to explain.

He's almost double last year's numbers for the complete season.  Averaging more than a minute per game.

Why is he taking dumb penalties like that?

I could account for it, if he was still playing with Brouwer.

Some of it is crap.  Like the misconducts he's gotten for no good reason.

That's not the troubling part; the late game ones like last night - those are worrisome.

53 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The worst thing about Bennett and Backlund is not drawing penalties.

Bennett has drawn 15 penalties this season, so not too bad.