• Announcements

    • Kulstad

      Insults/Name-calling will not be tolerated   11/19/2016

      It's great to see the boys earning their way into the playoffs this season (barring a Colorado-would-be-proud collapse).  What a night-and-day difference from way back in November.   With the playoffs, we typically see more traffic/visitors on the site, usually from the opposing team's fanbase (especially from the Oilers).  This is just a reminder that stating your opinion is fine (it's exactly what these forums are for), and friendly, good-natured ribbing is OK, however, name-calling and insults will still be a major no-no and cause for the Banhammer to warm up.  This applies to all new guests and visitors as well: you're more than welcome to join the party, but civility is house rule around here.   All insults/name-calling will be met with a zero-tolerance approach, regardless if you are a new person to the forums, or have been around since these forums began.   First-offenses will be met with a moderator-needs-to-approve-your-post for 3 days Second offenses will be met with a week-long suspension Third offenses will result in a perma-ban   If you have any questions regarding this policy, or would like to voice your concern about it, you are absolutely free to contact me directly.   We all love this team, and this game.  Let's all hop on the Bandwagon, enjoy a few beverages, and ride this wave of excitement as far as we can.   --  Kulstad
redfire11

1st Round Playoffs

346 posts in this topic

What team would you like to see the Flames play the first round and why.

 

Here is a list of 1st rnd potential opponents in order of who I would consider the Flames match up best against to advance.

 

Min    We seem to dominate and stack up well with their style of play.

Edm  I would love to see them the second rnd but Backlund line could contain McDavid

Ana   Goaltending  will be their playoff demise

Chi/Sjs  Both teams are older but I feel we need a miracle to beat them in 7 and would hope these 2 get beat up bad so we can take them on in the second rnd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny, I'd rather take the sharks in the first round and let anaheim/edm beat each other up, then take whoever's left in the second. The sharks don't concern me at all, I think we can make sushi easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we can take Chicago.  I think we beat them twice this season of I'm not mistaken.  It's weird.  Just one of those matchup things.  

 

If we drop to 8th, then we get relegated to the Central bracket and the Flames will do better there.  Minny overachieved in the first half of the season and is now playing their worse hockey the at worst time.  We can take both the Blues and Preds no problem.

 

But the Pacific division, yikes.  SJ is too fast.  ANA is too big.  And McDavid has feasted on the Flames this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think we can take Chicago.  I think we beat them twice this season of I'm not mistaken.  It's weird.  Just one of those matchup things.  

 

If we drop to 8th, then we get relegated to the Central bracket and the Flames will do better there.  Minny overachieved in the first half of the season and is now playing their worse hockey the at worst time.  We can take both the Blues and Preds no problem.

 

But the Pacific division, yikes.  SJ is too fast.  ANA is too big.  And McDavid has feasted on the Flames this year.

The Flames are considered a fast team, so I don't think SJ is too fast for us to handle. EDM's feasting on the Flames has occurred every time we were elbowingting the bed in general - they're dangerous, yes, but if we actually come to play I think we can handle them.

 

Similar story for Anaheim - we're not the novice team we were the first time we met them in the playoffs, although they are the team that concerns me the most in the pacific.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Protestor said:

The Flames are considered a fast team, so I don't think SJ is too fast for us to handle. EDM's feasting on the Flames has occurred every time we were elbowingting the bed in general - they're dangerous, yes, but if we actually come to play I think we can handle them.

 

Similar story for Anaheim - we're not the novice team we were the first time we met them in the playoffs, although they are the team that concerns me the most in the pacific.

 

I think I am with you on Anaheim, but as for fast, they we are, but we don't defend fast. Somewhere in the mental make-up we have brain farts and miss assignments, which cause goals almost every time. It is the one thing in our team game that hasn't changed enough. 

 

Like when Kopitar broke free alone for the tip. Our coverage sometimes is bad. But then, maybe that's where Anaheim will pose a big problem. 

 

For me, I am happy to be in the playoffs and happy to get whomever we get. I think we can give any team a run for their money and can match up well against almost anyone. Not saying we are favourites, but really, it is the dirty chippy teams I worry about most, and right now that is the Ducks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only 2 teams I don't want to see are Chicago and Edm. Edm has great speed and Flames struggle with high end speed imo. Chicago, just because its the Hawks and they know how and when to win. 

Everyone else I have no problem seeing and believe the flames can beat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from lacking the ability to win a game on Anaheim ice, I feel that the Flames can beat any team in the Western Conference in a 7 game series.

Any the teams would be a tough assignment, but I'm not scared of any of them.

Staying healthy will be necessary, there are few regular players that we can easily do without.

I want to play the Oilers in the play-offs, most of their wins against Calgary this season were prior to the Flames buying into GG's systems.

Any round will do, but I'd prefer to see Edmonton take out Anaheim for us, so the 2nd round would be my preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am fine facing Minny or SJS in round one.  We can beat either.  I do not want to face the Oilers, but because we have seen a blatant bias towards penalties drawn by McDavid.  They are a fast team and his line is hard to contain without taking a penalty.

 

Anaheim, I will reserve judgement until after we play a regular season game there.  They are a dirty team that gets away with a lot of abuse.  The only good thing would be the Ferkland/Bieksa rematch.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think we can take Chicago.  I think we beat them twice this season of I'm not mistaken.  It's weird.  Just one of those matchup things.  

 

If we drop to 8th, then we get relegated to the Central bracket and the Flames will do better there.  Minny overachieved in the first half of the season and is now playing their worse hockey the at worst time.  We can take both the Blues and Preds no problem.

 

But the Pacific division, yikes.  SJ is too fast.  ANA is too big.  And McDavid has feasted on the Flames this year.

We beat the regular season Hawks. They get into a totally different groove when playoffs start. The last team I want to face in the 1st round.

 

& don't be so optomistic about crossing over to the Central especially the Wild. We're platoff bound on the strength of a winning streak while they had enough of a cushion to coast because not every game was "must win".

 

My choice for round 1 is any Pacific team except the Ducks. Hopefully someone takes them out in the 1st round but I doubt we'd be the 1s to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

My choice for round 1 is any Pacific team except the Ducks. Hopefully someone takes them out in the 1st round but I doubt we'd be the 1s to do it.

 

The first round will be a tough one no matter what...   I think it's also questionable if the Oil could take out the Ducks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Carty said:

 

The first round will be a tough one no matter what...   I think it's also questionable if the Oil could take out the Ducks...

Probably not but @ least they can tire them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rate at which San Jose is losing and Anaheim winning we might end up facing them(.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bracket has us currently against Anaheim, and that's perfectly fine with me. Detroit's no longer in our conference, so the Ducks need a new team to send them home early. Playoffs are about momentum, I'd just as soon play a best team off the hop. If we end up a 7/8 seed, you have to beat them all regardless. When we knocked Van out, that scared nobody. So let's knock the best out and see how that plays out.

I'm not worried about facing even Chicago.

Back in 04, we had no right to beat Detroit, Yzerman got hurt and we did just that in one of the best series in that run.

Bring me the head of Ryan Getzlaf or Jonathan Toews, haha.

I'll be living in my Monahan jersey. Anyone care to guess where his fo% will level out? His rookie yr was 46%, 2nd year 49%, last year 51%, this year 52.5%.

He's 22. We should still be talking about his ceiling hahaha.

It's interesting that I always drew the comparison, Monahan is Scheifele -1 year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The bracket has us currently against Anaheim, and that's perfectly fine with me. Detroit's no longer in our conference, so the Ducks need a new team to send them home early. Playoffs are about momentum, I'd just as soon play a best team off the hop. If we end up a 7/8 seed, you have to beat them all regardless. When we knocked Van out, that scared nobody. So let's knock the best out and see how that plays out.

I'm not worried about facing even Chicago.

Back in 04, we had no right to beat Detroit, Yzerman got hurt and we did just that in one of the best series in that run.

Bring me the head of Ryan Getzlaf or Jonathan Toews, haha.

I'll be living in my Monahan jersey. Anyone care to guess where his fo% will level out? His rookie yr was 46%, 2nd year 49%, last year 51%, this year 52.5%.

He's 22. We should still be talking about his ceiling hahaha.

It's interesting that I always drew the comparison, Monahan is Scheifele -1 year.

However Scheifele had the benifit of 2 extra years in junior under Dale Hawerchuk. The Jets brought him along slowly & now reap the benifits. I get a kick out of THN assessment of career potential. "Excellent all around center with a little upside". Similar to what they say about Toews but the omit captain & team leader while Sheif is growing into both roles.

Monahan didn't get the extra time as he came straight to the NHL. THN career potential reads identical to that of Scheifele.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

However Scheifele had the benifit of 2 extra years in junior under Dale Hawerchuk. The Jets brought him along slowly & now reap the benifits. I get a kick out of THN assessment of career potential. "Excellent all around center with a little upside". Similar to what they say about Toews but the omit captain & team leader while Sheif is growing into both roles.

Monahan didn't get the extra time as he came straight to the NHL. THN career potential reads identical to that of Scheifele.

Watching them in jr made me think that they are a lot alike in play. Monahan just being kinda more, I don't know, stoic?

Still looking for my old idol Bernie in your banner, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Watching them in jr made me think that they are a lot alike in play. Monahan just being kinda more, I don't know, stoic?

Still looking for my old idol Bernie in your banner, lol.

Many years ago Sojer on the Flyers board made this for me. I've used it all these years. I also had the 4 Horsemen (courtesy of Vanesa) but lost it after a few computers died on me.

If I had a Bernie 1 it would feature him & Pelle (Bernie was Pelle's idol as well) but I'm not computer savvy enough to make these.

I loved Parent wearing immitations of those old brown pads in the outdoor oldtimers game a few years back.

***************************************************************************************************************************

I'd be very pleased if Monahan catches up to Scheifele.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I'd be very pleased if Monahan catches up to Scheifele.

A real RWer would help the assist count, imho.

Tkachuk is from the O too.

I'm not above an O line, with Bennett on the left, Tkachuk on the right.

I think that's a terror line, still have JG, Backlund, Frolik, Ferland in the back pocket.

Janxy comes in, one more Stajan year...

Hard to know, but I want to see an OHL line tried.

Bennett-Mony-Tkachuk, that'd be a fun line imho. Whoever fares better on the off-wing.

Gotta at least try it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if we finish out the season poorly, we will get CHI.

If we finish out good-strong we will get ether EDM, SJS or ANA.

No other match ups look possible at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

San Jose has experience, size and speed, Burns is an x-factor in every game. Yet I wouldn't say they strike any kind of fear, Thornton and Marleau are so inconsistent it seems when the playoffs roll around and who knows what they have in the tank. SJ has also rode Jones all season, and he might be running on fumes come the playoffs.

 

Edmonton is fast, but outside of McDavid, Draisaitl and Maroon they don't have much offense. Talbot has played a tonne and he is also probably running on fumes. They may have won the regular season match-up, but this is a completely different Flames team than the one Edmonton feasted on earlier.

 

Anaheim always seems to have our number and they are as deep as any team in the NHL. Goaltending is a big question mark for them. I don't think they will run over us like last time we met them in the playoffs.

 

Chicago is the one team I don't want to meet. Too much experience. They can play the game anyway you like it. Crawford might be one of the most underrated goalies in the league. They are younger this year and have a few more holes so they are beatable, just can't make many mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of all the matchups, Anaheim is the only one I don't think we come out on top of in the first round. Edmonton would be amazing, and I think we could take that one now that our team is actually working as a team and within the system (where earlier on when we did play them, we were all struggling). San Jose and Chicago are both tough matchups, but very winnable for us. Minnesota (if somehow that happens, Possible but not likely) is our best matchup I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-03-23 at 4:04 PM, travel_dude said:

I am fine facing Minny or SJS in round one.  We can beat either.  I do not want to face the Oilers, but because we have seen a blatant bias towards penalties drawn by McDavid.  They are a fast team and his line is hard to contain without taking a penalty.

 

Anaheim, I will reserve judgement until after we play a regular season game there.  They are a dirty team that gets away with a lot of abuse.  The only good thing would be the Ferkland/Bieksa rematch.  

I agree with this 100%!!! I find it extremely hard to watch their games because of the favourable officiating they get...I often wonder how the standings would look if we got the same officiating and scheduling that they get...The McPimple penalty shot in game 1 or 2 comes to mind...Another thing that makes them hard to watch is their broadcast team of McPamper fanboys...Hard to watch!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McDavid is light years better than most of his competition.

Making him an excuse for unfairness isn't right.

I'm highly doubting he wants preferential treatment.

Face it, he's just an elite player.

If he were in T.O. and Edmonton had Matthews, you'd level the anger at Matthews.

Understandable, in the same breath, you have to respect your opponents.

If you want to treat them all soft and protective, you're gonna lose.

Hit them, hard and often.

Prejudice is fans emotions, not necessarily reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

McDavid is light years better than most of his competition.

Making him an excuse for unfairness isn't right.

I'm highly doubting he wants preferential treatment.

Face it, he's just an elite player.

If he were in T.O. and Edmonton had Matthews, you'd level the anger at Matthews.

Understandable, in the same breath, you have to respect your opponents.

If you want to treat them all soft and protective, you're gonna lose.

Hit them, hard and often.

Prejudice is fans emotions, not necessarily reality.

 

In case you are leveling this at my post.....

 

You only need watch the penalties he draws.  Yes, some are deserved.  Some are the perception that he is tripped or interfered with.

A guy skating at full speed with get the benefit of the doubt if he falls when he had the puck.  Some guys.  

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

In case you are leveling this at my post.....

 

You only need watch the penalties he draws.  Yes, some are deserved.  Some are the perception that he is tripped or interfered with.

A guy skating at full speed with get the benefit of the doubt if he falls when he had the puck.  Some guys.  

 

  

In that case, I am.

When you're a player that sees so much puck handling, there will be a lot more plays to magnify.

What's the point?

There has to be a little honesty, like, "this guy is an elite player".

Not, the refs love him, trying to marginalize, or some lame excuse....

He's the leading scorer in the league, there's a time to stop the petty excuses...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.