Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cccsberg

So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I actually saw that different.

gotta remember he came in cold, GG played him everywhere if he played him at all, so he never had a chance to get a rhythm in a new system . Not everybody is Evander Kane who comes in and looks like he's been there all along .

He's only a year removed from 6g 8p in is first 6 games to start last season (injury fill in ) before he got moved down when the guy came back 

 

I seem to be the only person who put any stock in it , but his reaction after scoring the goal he did for us told me a ton about his character.. he's a team first guy , that cares .

The fact he's  pounded on Lucic before too doesn't hurt :) 

 

I'm not sure what is left in his tank.  It didn't look like much.

I figured he would put in a ton of effort here, to try and set himself up for a new deal...Somewhere.

His advanced stats are some of the worst.  Fine if you are scoring like Monahan, but otherwise he hurts more than he helps.

Even with only 10 goals, his SH% was 14.7%.  So, he isn't shooting much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

I actually saw that different.

gotta remember he came in cold, GG played him everywhere if he played him at all, so he never had a chance to get a rhythm in a new system . Not everybody is Evander Kane who comes in and looks like he's been there all along .

He's only a year removed from 6g 8p in is first 6 games to start last season (injury fill in ) before he got moved down when the guy came back 

 

I seem to be the only person who put any stock in it , but his reaction after scoring the goal he did for us told me a ton about his character.. he's a team first guy , that cares .

The fact he's  pounded on Lucic before too doesn't hurt :) 

 

See for me I expected to see a guy playing for his life in the NHL, and I didn't see that at all. I could very well be wrong, but I don't see him getting an NHL contract this year, maybe a PTO, but I don't see any teams signing him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris Stewart doesnt belong in the NHL anymore.  He's slower than No Man's Sky's loading screen.  And he's lost his scoring touch ever since he broke his hand years ago in a fight.  There's much better, much hungrier players in our farm system waiting for a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

See for me I expected to see a guy playing for his life in the NHL, and I didn't see that at all. I could very well be wrong, but I don't see him getting an NHL contract this year, maybe a PTO, but I don't see any teams signing him.

it depends what you expect on the 4th line. Even in today's NHL  youre not signing a guy there for his points . Their job is to be dangerous , yes, but also set up the tempo for the top line 

But you do want a guy that can score.. with the puck on his stick in front of the goal, I'm more hopeful he can do it than Lazar, who you know is gonna whiff.

7 games, he threw 11 hits.. got a goal and 2 assists ..all even strength..25% on FO (1/3..small sample).. over 82 games thats 35 points.. 20 to 30 is realistic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be beyond livid if Chris Stewart gets anything from the Flames, even a PTO. He has no business being on this team. He dind't make sense as a wavier claim and nothing in his play after that should led the team to think there is something there. Much better options internally don't hold them up by signing someone who is terrible. Completely wrong direction the Flames should be going. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I will be beyond livid if Chris Stewart gets anything from the Flames, even a PTO. He has no business being on this team. He dind't make sense as a wavier claim and nothing in his play after that should led the team to think there is something there. Much better options internally don't hold them up by signing someone who is terrible. Completely wrong direction the Flames should be going. 

 

 

I dont think its possible to sign someone that doesn't PO somebody in here :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I dont think its possible to sign someone that doesn't PO somebody in here :) 

 

Nature of opinions. Everyone's got one and they should be different, makes it interesting. We should have different opinions.

 

I'm strong about this one because if the Front office looks at the Chris Stewart that played for the Flames and says "yes we need THAT" i'll lose a lot of faith in the front office. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

Nature of opinions. Everyone's got one and they should be different, makes it interesting. We should have different opinions.

 

I'm strong about this one because if the Front office looks at the Chris Stewart that played for the Flames and says "yes we need THAT" i'll lose a lot of faith in the front office. 

 

 

no doubt.   it would be actually very boring in here if everybody agreed lol

for me , my fear is Stajan .. cheap or no .   time to move on there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

no doubt.   it would be actually very boring in here if everybody agreed lol

for me , my fear is Stajan .. cheap or no .   time to move on there 

 

At least Stajan has some worthwhile qualities.  Not enough to bring him back.

Some players bring out more vitriol than others.

Kane, Stewart, Russell....

 

TBH, I think the Flames do a lot of scouting (and advanced stats stuff), but fail to recognize some of the changes players go through.  Two years ago Stewie was a better player.  He hasn't been that guy in awhile.  

 

The projects are something we should be staying away from.  Stewart is a prime example.  Lazar was and is a project.  Mason Raymond...Setoguchi...shall I go on?  We have players that can do something that should get the chance before we take on a project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

no doubt.   it would be actually very boring in here if everybody agreed lol

for me , my fear is Stajan .. cheap or no .   time to move on there 

I've been worrying about this for a long time. And Stajan says he's playing next year, no matter where.

I'm very worried that our mgmt thinks we're close with most of the same team back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I've been worrying about this for a long time. And Stajan says he's playing next year, no matter where.

I'm very worried that our mgmt thinks we're close with most of the same team back.

Stajan won't be back. BP will get Ryan here as his guy and we already have Shore as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I dont think its possible to sign someone that doesn't PO somebody in here :) 

 

The only players I was so dead set against were Raymond, Hamilton and Vey. 

 

I am 2/3. Not a terrible batting average. ?

 

ok, I didn’t like Stewart, but I expected more considering he was fighting for his career. 

 

Hamilton, I wanted the picks and add more to our rebuild. I am still not happy. Mostly because he is soft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I dont think its possible to sign someone that doesn't PO somebody in here :) 

"Well-balanced" fan base?   ...or is it "Unbalanced" fan base?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, robrob74 said:

 

The only players I was so dead set against were Raymond, Hamilton and Vey. 

 

I am 2/3. Not a terrible batting average. ?

 

ok, I didn’t like Stewart, but I expected more considering he was fighting for his career. 

 

Hamilton, I wanted the picks and add more to our rebuild. I am still not happy. Mostly because he is soft. 

If we had hit the draft out of the park, Hamilton = Barzal, Sprong, Dunn, if that makes you feel better;)

 

Hamonic will cost us something around Barrett Hayton, Liam Foudy/Jesse Ylonen this year + next year's 2nd.

 

These moves can be incredibly expensive. To add 2 RD to ensure Brodie never sees RD again.

 

edit

Not to mention signing Stone, to ensure Rasmus has a harder time getting looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

If we had hit the draft out of the park, Hamilton = Barzal, Sprong, Dunn, if that makes you feel better;)

 

Hamonic will cost us something around Barrett Hayton, Liam Foudy/Jesse Ylonen this year + next year's 2nd.

 

These moves can be incredibly expensive. To add 2 RD to ensure Brodie never sees RD again.

 

edit

Not to mention signing Stone, to ensure Rasmus has a harder time getting looks.

 

Yup! I agree. 

 

Although, you never know who our scouts watch closer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

 

Yup! I agree. 

 

Although, you never know who our scouts watch closer. 

Another angle to scouting also, is where is that kid being developed. CHL, NCAA, overseas, which team. They aren't all the same. You have to have a handle on development worldwide. BPA is all good and well, but points deducted if you're in a messy org compared to a better one.

Most are good nowadays, but some are much better than others.

What's the player's situation? I'll take the high road on specifics of amongst the best to amongst the worst, but it does matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Another angle to scouting also, is where is that kid being developed. CHL, NCAA, overseas, which team. They aren't all the same. You have to have a handle on development worldwide. BPA is all good and well, but points deducted if you're in a messy org compared to a better one.

Most are good nowadays, but some are much better than others.

What's the player's situation? I'll take the high road on specifics of amongst the best to amongst the worst, but it does matter.

 

Bottom line on draft picks is that someone makes the final decision.  The scouts do their job and argue for their BPA's and give the reasons.  

When the final list is hashed out, the GM picks the one at the top not crossed out and still available.

 

Sometimes I wonder about those late picks from overseas.  Rasikov (SP), Ollas-Mattsson, some recent guys.  Some of these guys will never play in NA.  What is the point in drafting them if they are fringe guys in another continent?  How are you ever going to get them playing in Canada if you can't even play guys drafted higher from NA? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Sometimes I wonder about those late picks from overseas.  Rasikov (SP), Ollas-Mattsson, some recent guys.  Some of these guys will never play in NA.  What is the point in drafting them if they are fringe guys in another continent?  How are you ever going to get them playing in Canada if you can't even play guys drafted higher from NA? 

 

But on the flip side of that, if you want to get a steal where are you likely to find it. a 3rd liner from the CHL or someone from a lesser known place who is playing 1st line but doesn't get seen a lot? Sure you may never see them, but the odds also say you are probably not going to draft an NHLer our of the traditional places outside the top 60 picks anyway. Comes down to risk vs reward. 

 

I think someone did this recently for the NHL but I can't remember for sure, but there was a really interesting analysis done around the NFL draft and where the late round steals come from. Their conclusion was basically that once you are outside the top 3 rounds it didn't make alot of sense to take someone from a traditional or power school, if you were looking for a sleeper. They tended to come form areas that were under scouted or didn't carry the same name as the other places. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

But on the flip side of that, if you want to get a steal where are you likely to find it. a 3rd liner from the CHL or someone from a lesser known place who is playing 1st line but doesn't get seen a lot? Sure you may never see them, but the odds also say you are probably not going to draft an NHLer our of the traditional places outside the top 60 picks anyway. Comes down to risk vs reward. 

 

I think someone did this recently for the NHL but I can't remember for sure, but there was a really interesting analysis done around the NFL draft and where the late round steals come from. Their conclusion was basically that once you are outside the top 3 rounds it didn't make alot of sense to take someone from a traditional or power school, if you were looking for a sleeper. They tended to come form areas that were under scouted or didn't carry the same name as the other places. 

 

Don't get me wrong, I like the picks we have.

Sveningsson sounds like a decent player.

Lindstrom is valued in international hockey.

 

I just wonder if we will ever see them here.  Not a lot of examples of players that have come over.  At least for the Flames.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder who the European FA signing will be, to be announced in a "few days".

Another Hrivik-type signing, or should we hope for more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I wonder who the European FA signing will be, to be announced in a "few days".

Another Hrivik-type signing, or should we hope for more?

 

We're signing a European FA? I hope it's Ville Leskinen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

We're signing a European FA? I hope it's Ville Leskinen.

According to BT at the 1st ticket holder meeting. Signed and will be announced soon.

Can't make it to the other meetings unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

We're signing a European FA? I hope it's Ville Leskinen.

that would be nice .. he's even a Right shot wing :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...