The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rocketdoctor

IIHF World Champs 2017

Caught some of the hockey today

Amazing result for France beating Finalnd 5-1 this afternoon.

USA lost to Germany 2-1 yesterday but came back with a win 7-2 against Denmark this afternoon.  Johnny with 1G 1A.  Very young side USa have put out.

Ug, I have missed all of the games. Is this all being broadcast on TSN in the middle of the night?

3 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

USA lost to Germany 2-1 yesterday but came back with a win 7-2 against Denmark this afternoon.  Johnny with 1G 1A.  Very young side USa have put out.

Nice gesture by Bellemare to give the Player of the Game award to Hardy who he thought was the 1 deserving.

2 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Ug, I have missed all of the games. Is this all being broadcast on TSN in the middle of the night?

Middle of the day for me!   Been able to see parts of 4 games today  :D

Bob Hartley Lativans spriging a suprise on Slovakia tonight.  3-1 up with 3.25 to go.

20 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Nice gesture by Bellemare to give the Player of the Game award to Hardy who he thought was the 1 deserving.

Yes it was , not sure why the Finns chose Bellemare for player of the game anyways

39 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Yes it was , not sure why the Finns chose Bellemare for player of the game anyways

Bellemare & Hardy play for France.

I thought the IIHF picks Player og the Game.

No each team chooses for the other

Bellarmare had a good game but no way he played better than Hardy and Roussel

Easy win for Canada 6-0 over Belarus and moves to 3-0 for the tourney.

Russia over Germany 6-3

Tonights game USA v SWE which could be interesting and FIN take on the Czech Rep.

On 5/7/2017 at 10:56 AM, rocketdoctor said:

And Keller with the hatty in the US win, looking forward to US v Sweden on TSN in 10 minutes.

Should be a good'er.

Both Keller and Gaudreau on the scoresheet, should put both of the waterbugs on the same line, just for entertainment, lol.

3-3 in the 2nd, the way this is going, could be an 8-7 finish!

Wow, major indiscipline by Sweden in the last 4 minutes. 4-3 US.

JG with 2, Compher with the winner.

Jimmy Howard was generally solid.

Lindholm MVP for Sweden, Johnny for the US.

Good game!

enjoyable game but it is poor fare comapred to the NHL isn't it?   Lack of intensity.   Guess still early stages so should ramp up a bit.

12 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

enjoyable game but it is poor fare comapred to the NHL isn't it?   Lack of intensity.   Guess still early stages so should ramp up a bit.

Wide open though. Burke and Holland are right in wanting to add 5' of width to the NHL game, there's no room. You put 5 v 5, + goalie, + 4 refs in the O-zone, it's retarded.

It has never changed yet even just the players are a lot bigger nowadays, in way better shape, etc.

I don't really agree with lack of intensity, just more room to think for 4 seconds rather than 1.

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

How is France playing such solid hockey? We are down 2-1 a few minutes into the second.

They are impressing the heck out of me.

They (along with Canada) are in a weak pool but they've already beat Finland & gave TC all they could handle today.

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

How is France playing such solid hockey? We are down 2-1 a few minutes into the second.

Spoiler alert.  That game was taped.  I won't tell you the result.

France definitely playing off the emotion of home support.

Other notable suprise is the Lativans althoguh they did go down 2-0 to the Swedes last night.

With a long 7 game prelimnary round robin there will probably be few suprises in the last 8.  With 3 games each to go you would expect Finland to do enough to get into the quarters.

http://www.iihfworlds2017.com/

8 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

France definitely playing off the emotion of home support.

Other notable suprise is the Lativans althoguh they did go down 2-0 to the Swedes last night.

With a long 7 game prelimnary round robin there will probably be few suprises in the last 8.  With 3 games each to go you would expect Finland to do enough to get into the quarters.

http://www.iihfworlds2017.com/

I am quite impressed with both teams. Latvia has always played relatively well. France is a big surprise for me. They must have put money and talent into developing their program. On CFR today, they were talking about all of the impressive work the Predators organization has put into Nashville. They used to have no high school ice hockey at all when the team first started playing. Today, they have 30 high school teams. They put in some serious grass roots efforts to make it work. It is interesting because some cities have not taken well to hockey. Atlanta and Phoenix did not do it properly.

Nice to see Canada make a statement after the loss in OT to Switzerland.

Granted that Norway should be a "gimme" but the Swiss were supposed to be an easy win as well.

On 5/12/2017 at 4:40 PM, Cowtownguy said:

I am quite impressed with both teams. Latvia has always played relatively well. France is a big surprise for me. They must have put money and talent into developing their program. On CFR today, they were talking about all of the impressive work the Predators organization has put into Nashville. They used to have no high school ice hockey at all when the team first started playing. Today, they have 30 high school teams. They put in some serious grass roots efforts to make it work. It is interesting because some cities have not taken well to hockey. Atlanta and Phoenix did not do it properly.

With Hartley as the coach. Just an interesting tidbit in case some didn't know. 

I'm always leary of teams that look good at the World Championships though. Big ice allow for lesser talented teams to shine and you are dealing with a diluted talent pool overal and teams that have played together for so long are going up against the melting pots that are the Czechs/Canada/US etc. 

Heck of a USA over Russia today. The score seesawed until the good guys finally won.

Finland is showing less against Canada than I expected. I was sure they'd be up & trying to show that Finland still belongs when playing the big boys.

16 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Heck of a USA over Russia today. The score seesawed until the good guys finally won.

Finland is showing less against Canada than I expected. I was sure they'd be up & trying to show that Finland still belongs when playing the big boys.

As expected, Johnny is lighting it up on the bigger ice.  Funny how he plays so well with guys like Lee, Larkin, and Hayes.  All ex-college guys.

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

As expected, Johnny is lighting it up on the bigger ice.  Funny how he plays so well with guys like Lee, Larkin, and Hayes.  All ex-college guys.

Tied for 3rd in scoring (pending other games today).

Part of that might be he gets more room with the big ice & more stringent rules. Especially the 2nd as you can play better not looking over your shoulder for the guy that has you on the tracks. Much closer to college rules.

4 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Tied for 3rd in scoring (pending other games today).

Part of that might be he gets more room with the big ice & more stringent rules. Especially the 2nd as you can play better not looking over your shoulder for the guy that has you on the tracks. Much closer to college rules.

No doubt about the 2nd part.  I just found it funny that college guys were clicking.  The bigger ice probably has less to do with it, since the points I have seen were in close.  Maybe a little more room behind the nets.

I wonder if any of those three guys should be targets for the Flames.  Hayes can play RW or C.  Lee is coming off a good season.  Larkin is likely a non-starter.