Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rocketdoctor

IIHF World Champs 2017

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

No doubt about the 2nd part.  I just found it funny that college guys were clicking.  The bigger ice probably has less to do with it, since the points I have seen were in close.  Maybe a little more room behind the nets.

 

I wonder if any of those three guys should be targets for the Flames.  Hayes can play RW or C.  Lee is coming off a good season.  Larkin is likely a non-starter.

They'd be OK targets as long as we don't expect a collegiate line to carry the team. Former lines that clicked in the WJC weren't all that in the NHL anymore than some peoples arguement that 3 guys from some Euro country will have instant chemistry.

Going by the stereotypes from the 3 CHL divisions a gunner from the Q, a playmaker from the O & a digger from the W sounds great on paper. But, we play on ice & chemistry in other leagues & tournaments (World Cup, WJC) are totally different situations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Fun Lativa v Germany game - winner takes all

 

Poor Bob!

Freaking shootouts!

It was a dang good game though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Freaking shootouts!

It was a dang good game though.

 

I think I lost a couple of years in this one:)  Both Goalies played really well in this one. Grubauer looked really good, was very calm, cleared most rebounds far in the corner and made some spectacular saves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

They'd be OK targets as long as we don't expect a collegiate line to carry the team. Former lines that clicked in the WJC weren't all that in the NHL anymore than some peoples arguement that 3 guys from some Euro country will have instant chemistry.

Going by the stereotypes from the 3 CHL divisions a gunner from the Q, a playmaker from the O & a digger from the W sounds great on paper. But, we play on ice & chemistry in other leagues & tournaments (World Cup, WJC) are totally different situations.

 

Wasn't suggesting that former NCAA linemates could carry a line.  Arnold never even made it to the NHL.

Lee and Hayes both have had good or reasonable seasons.  It's possible that Hayes could fit on the top line RW or at least be as better than Lazar or Brouwer.  His size would be a benefit in the West.  I don't think he's too soft.  As far as Lee goes, I'm not sure if he benefitted from JT or some other player on NY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Wasn't suggesting that former NCAA linemates could carry a line.  Arnold never even made it to the NHL.

Lee and Hayes both have had good or reasonable seasons.  It's possible that Hayes could fit on the top line RW or at least be as better than Lazar or Brouwer.  His size would be a benefit in the West.  I don't think he's too soft.  As far as Lee goes, I'm not sure if he benefitted from JT or some other player on NY.

I didn't mean to imply that.

As with any other player I'm open to adding depending on the cost. But the Rags will probably want a lot of futures if they trade him while he's @ the age & cost they should keep. What under 25 skater that makes under 2.6 (they need D as well) likely to turn into his equal could we offer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, manu11 said:

 

I think I lost a couple of years in this one:)  Both Goalies played really well in this one. Grubauer looked really good, was very calm, cleared most rebounds far in the corner and made some spectacular saves.

That's why I want him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

That's why I want him.

 

He played for Germany before, but this was the frist time I really looked at him in detail. As a fellow countryman I really hope he can get a chance as a Nr.1 guy, I just think that Raanta for me looks like a bit saver option for a possible Nr.1 guy. He played well for two different teams and didn't play behind the best defensive team in the last 2 years . Also, he took a couple of starts from Henrik when he came back from injury and looked a bit shaky, and I like that he has a year left at a cheap $1mil. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I didn't mean to imply that.

As with any other player I'm open to adding depending on the cost. But the Rags will probably want a lot of futures if they trade him while he's @ the age & cost they should keep. What under 25 skater that makes under 2.6 (they need D as well) likely to turn into his equal could we offer?

 

The problem we have (obviously) is we have little currency.  At least little we can afford to trade.  Gillies and a younger prospect (Erixon?) for Raanta and Hayes?  

Just kidding.  Maybe Hickey.  Add another prospect for rights to Brendan Smith.  Not really serious, just an thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

No doubt about the 2nd part.  I just found it funny that college guys were clicking.  The bigger ice probably has less to do with it, since the points I have seen were in close.  Maybe a little more room behind the nets.

 

I wonder if any of those three guys should be targets for the Flames.  Hayes can play RW or C.  Lee is coming off a good season.  Larkin is likely a non-starter.

Didn't we try to acquire Hayes and he didn't really want to come to Calgary? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Didn't we try to acquire Hayes and he didn't really want to come to Calgary? 

 

Wasn't so much that he didn't want to come here.  We were in the finals for signing him, but he chose NY where he would get immediate playing time.  That's part of the problem with CGY; we rarely have immediate spots we can promise these guys.  We were in on Panarin too, but CHI had a spot for him.  

 

I am bigger on him than a lot here, because I feel he goes to the net hard.  I don't care if they played him with JH or Bennett.  He fills a need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A day off in Europe & then the real games start.

Go CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!

Go US! (I know, I like Germany too but I can only cheer for 1)

Beat them pesky Russians you Czechs!

I like the Swiss anthem better than Sweden's. C'Mon Switzerland!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

A day off in Europe & then the real games start.

Go CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!

Go US! (I know, I like Germany too but I can only cheer for 1)

Beat them pesky Russians you Czechs!

I like the Swiss anthem better than Sweden's. C'Mon Switzerland!

 

As long as the Swiss play Hiller against Canada or the US in any playoff games, I am happy.  I doubt he even gets another start myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

As long as the Swiss play Hiller against Canada or the US in any playoff games, I am happy.  I doubt he even gets another start myself.

Sounds like you want the same teams I do playing for Gold. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Sounds like you want the same teams I do playing for Gold. :)

 

I was happy with the final teams in the WJC.  Nice to also have two Flames prospects in one game.

My 2nd team is the US, always has been.  I will sometimes cheer for the underdog, unless they are playing one of those two. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, that canadien powerplay is deadly!

Solid period from my german team, let's hope Team Canada doesn't find the next gear;)

 

And I gotta say I wish we had kept Wolf, he's such a physical beast!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, manu11 said:

Man, that canadien powerplay is deadly!

Solid period from my german team, let's hope Team Canada doesn't find the next gear;)

 

And I gotta say I wish we had kept Wolf, he's such a physical beast!

Isn't Wolf still UFA? Maybe we could bring him back for a 2nd go around. 1st time the cards were stacked against him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much one way traffic in this game

 

Grubauer keeping the Germans in it.

 

Can you feel the upset coming.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Isn't Wolf still UFA? Maybe we could bring him back for a 2nd go around. 1st time the cards were stacked against him.

 

No Hartley here either.  I wonder if he has as much to offer as a player like Bouma?  Built like a tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

No Hartley here either.  I wonder if he has as much to offer as a player like Bouma?  Built like a tank.

I'd like to see Wolf in more than 3 NHL games but other than Bouma's career year (2014-15) that's not a high bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I'd like to see Wolf in more than 3 NHL games but other than Bouma's career year (2014-15) that's not a high bar.

 

I was thinking about fit in the lineup.  4th line LW makes the most sense.  His speed seemed to be what was holding him back the most; that and he seemed to be winded every shift.  I liked his compete level.

 

Bouma seems to have decided to be a goal scorer.  When he isn't doing that, he provided little else.  Yes, he kills penalties, but I would prefer to give Bennett or Monahan those minutes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...