The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2017/18 Season

Pick your ideal 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, forward lines 1st, 2nd, 3rd defense pairings and goal with backup also 1st and 2nd power play from our current roster. I will update the roster as trades and movement happens. It would also be interesting to point out your views as to Lines and Pairings.

FORWARDS

Gaudreau, Johnny

Monahan, Sean

Ferland, Micheal

Brouwer, Troy

Frolik, Michael

Backlund, Mikael

Stajan, Matt

Gazdic, Luke

Tkachuk, Matthew

Hamilton, Freddie

Lazar, Curtis

Bennett, Sam

Versteeg, Kris

Hrivik, Marek

Foo, Spencer

Pribyl, Daniel

Jankowski, Mark

Shinkaruk, Hunter

Klimchuk, Morgan

Hathaway, Garnet

DEFENSE

Giordano, Mark

Hamilton, Dougie

Brodie, TJ

Hamonic, Travis

Stone, Michael

Bartkowski, Matt

Andersson, Rasmus

Kylington, Oliver

Kulak, Brett

Wotherspoon, Tyler

GOAL

Smith, Mike

McDonald, Mason

Parsons, Tyler

Schneider, Nick

Rittich, David

Lack, Eddie

Gillies, Jon

Line 1

JG  Mon Ferl   (it just works)

Line 2

Jank Back Frol (what better duo to get Janks LHS started in the big league)

Line 3

TK Ben Laz/Foo  (Laz/Foo fight it out in dev camp)

Line 4

Boum/Versteeg Staj  Brouw  ( Vet line tough minutes)

1st Pair

Geo  Hamil

2nd Pair

TJ  Hamon

3rd Pair

Kulak Stone

extra Wotherspoon

Goal

Mikey

Gilles/Rittich ( we need to get a prospect in)

PP #1

JG Mon Verst

TJ Hamil

PP#2

TK Back Frol

Geo Hamon

Chiasson, Versteeg, Stone and Kostka  aren't signed and are pending UFA's. Vey signed overseas.

Based on who is signed or RFA:

Gaudreau/Monahan/Ferland

Tkachuk/Backlund/Frolik

Shinkaruk/Bennett/Lazar

Bouma/Stajan/Brouwer

Hamilton

Giordano/Hamilton

Brodie/Hamonic

Bartkowski/Andersson

Kulak

With signed and QO players in mind only, this is what I see.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland (they really started to gel last year, hopefully if they can get it to work from the get-go, we have a great line from the start)
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik (while I would like to see Tkachuk and Bennett play together, you don't break up 3M until you know the rest of your team is capable of consistency)
Bouma/Klimchuk-Bennett-Brouwer/Lazar (I see Brouwer getting the first shot on third before going to fourth. Bouma/Klimchuk depends on who has better camp)
Bouma/Klimchuk-Stajan-Brouwer/Lazar (The other of Brouwer/Lazar getting the 4th RW option, same with Bouma/Klimchuk)
Freddie and Hathaway as extras. I see Jankowski getting a call up on first injury to forward (regardless of position). I think Foo may get the odd game, but is mostly AHL this year.

Giordano-Dougie
Brodie-Hamonic
Bartkowski-Andersson
Wotherspoon as the extra (I would slide Wotherspoon into the 3rd pair, but am uncomfortable with 2 players with less than a season of NHL experience combined on the bottom pairing).

Smith
Rittich (we know BT said Rittich/Gillies in the AHL again, but since we have no player signed as a backup, I think Rittich gets the edge, giving Gillies the main starter role in the AHL, with Parsons pushing him for time.

Obviously, I don't think this is the final lineup, but since I went with players we have signed currently or have offered QO's to (so no Stone or Versteeg for example) are here. I don't think Klimchuk plays the NHL this year unless it's an injury callup or Bouma REALLY screws the pooch (especially if we sign Versteeg). And I definitely believe we sign one more D-man, which means it really comes down to whether it's a RD or LD rookie on the team (with Bart being the Extra). If we get a RD, I can see Kulak or Wotherspoon being the LD, if we sign an LD, I think Andersson slots in as the third pair RD.

It is encouraging to me to see all three of us has added onto our lineups a different forward prospect. It shows a somewhat solid pipeline. Now which one or two will BT and GG choose.

4 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

It is encouraging to me to see all three of us has added onto our lineups a different forward prospect. It shows a somewhat solid pipeline. Now which one or two will BT and GG choose.

As things stand right now for Shinkaruk gets the first look, mostly based on the fact that he needs waivers to be sent down. Now that can all change if someone like Klimchuk comes out and kills it in training camp.

One of the big reasons I see Klimchuk over someone like Shinkaruk is the gap that needs filling. Shink is a guy that would do better in middle 6 role, and with our Left Wing on the second pair most likely being Tkachuk, it's going to be Shink/Bennett with someone like Brouwer or Lazar. I'm not sure how Shink would play there (being a bit more of a peripheral player). Klimchuk on the other hand, would likely thrive in a bottom 6 (third or fourth line roles) meaning that we can safely bench Bouma if needed. And Klim thrives in a defensive role, while still being able to put up some points (allowing Bennett and Lazar to make a bit more risky plays).

But yeah, with Shink being waiver eligible, I guess he'll be given a bit more leeway to try and make the team. Though I doubt he gets taken if waived. 

12 hours ago, JTech780 said:

As things stand right now for Shinkaruk gets the first look, mostly based on the fact that he needs waivers to be sent down. Now that can all change if someone like Klimchuk comes out and kills it in training camp.

This being the case with Shinkaruk, why not but him with Stajan and see if there is a deal somewhere for the two of them. PHI or CAR maybe.

Stajan remains

Here goes

Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland

Frolik, Backlund, Brouwer

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar

Versteeg, Stajan, Hathaway

Hamilton, Gadzic

Giordano, Hamilton

Brodie, Hamonic

Kulak, Stone

Bartkowski

Smith, Lack

New additions * revised 7/5/2017 start with this. I would see Ferland and Versteeg as inter-changeable if Ferland does make it work.

I still will not be shocked to see them try Tkachuk with Gaudreau and Monahan.

Mac I am not convinced this is a thing to do but (If it works) Brouwer could easily live up to his contract and we would have a really dominant second veteran line.

59 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Before I could be 100% in completing the roster of choice 3 transactions would need to take place.

1,. resign Versteeg

2, Trade Stajan and Shinkaruk to either PHI or LVK for either Manning or McNabb (preference McNabb)

3. sign Darcy Kuemper as our back up goalie

Here goes

Gaudreau, Monahan, Versteeg

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar

Ferland, Jankowski, Foo

Bouma, Hathaway

Giordano, Hamilton

Brodie, Hamonic

McNabb, R Andersson

Wotherspoon

Smith, Kuemper

Versteeg is RHS LW though and didn't do to well on the top line last year.

48 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Mac I am not convinced this is a thing to do but (If it works) Brouwer could easily live up to his contract and we would have a really dominant second veteran line.

I am and absolutely think such a line would serve a real important purpose for the team allowing the younger scoring types to be better situated.

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Versteeg is RHS LW though and didn't do to well on the top line last year.

JTech Versteeg wouldn't be my first choice there either but I would start there. He and Ferland could be interchangeable, which is why I like Versteeg's versatility. I have a feeling that top RW could be another season of musical chairs.

20 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

JTech Versteeg wouldn't be my first choice there either but I would start there. He and Ferland could be interchangeable, which is why I like Versteeg's versatility. I have a feeling that top RW could be another season of musical chairs.

I dont think so the flames have said alot of good things about ferland, and It sounds to me like they fully expect him to occupy that spot. Im assuming they are hoping that he can find consistency, because down the stretch he was very good on that line. I really doubt GG starts camp with versteeg in that spot(if he is brought back), when ferland had good success there.

51 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I dont think so the flames have said alot of good things about ferland, and It sounds to me like they fully expect him to occupy that spot. Im assuming they are hoping that he can find consistency, because down the stretch he was very good on that line. I really doubt GG starts camp with versteeg in that spot(if he is brought back), when ferland had good success there.

Oh well this is what the thread ask for MY suggested line up. I think we will end up seeing a few experiments over the course of the season. I would hope Ferland could stick with top line but have my doubts. I prefer Ferland on LW.

22 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Chiasson, Versteeg, Stone and Kostka  aren't signed and are pending UFA's. Vey signed overseas.

Based on who is signed or RFA:

Gaudreau/Monahan/Ferland

Tkachuk/Backlund/Frolik

Versteeg/Bennett/Lazar

Bouma/Stajan/Brouwer

Hamilton

Shinkaruk

Giordano/Hamilton

Brodie/Hamonic

Bartkowski/Andersson

Kulak

PP1:

Ferland/Monahan/Gaudreau

Giordano/Hamilton

PP2:

Tkachuk/Backlund/Frolik

Brodie/Versteeg

Updated with the Versteeg news and PP lines.

24 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Updated with the Versteeg news and PP lines.

Please do something with Bouma.  I personally would rather see Janko on the 4th line and Bouma providing some help to the Heat.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Please do something with Bouma.  I personally would rather see Janko on the 4th line and Bouma providing some help to the Heat.

Pat Steinberg thinks he may be bought out, for what thats worth. Heres hoping!

13 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

If there is no trade deals out there for either Bouma or Stajan I would rather they buy out Stajan.

28 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

To be fair, he speculated. he did not say he thinks they would.

personally i would buyout Bouma but not Stajan. I think you suck up Stajan for 1 more year. Unless something big is in the works, you've got cap space to fit him and he is useful as a 4th line center. He is not tradable IMO. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

personally i would buyout Bouma but not Stajan. I think you suck up Stajan for 1 more year. Unless something big is in the works, you've got cap space to fit him and he is useful as a 4th line center. He is not tradable IMO. 

I wouldn't buy out anyone this year, you can rather waive Bouma and replace him with someone cheap on the farm like Klimchuk, Hathaway or Lomberg

18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Speculated..sure lets argue semantics...Either way its an interesting idea.

I think the Flames are going to acquire a winger this weekend. 

Gaudreau-Monahan-(Williams)

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Ferland-Bennett-Versteeg

Stajan-Lazar-Brouwer

Giordano-Hamilton 

Brodie-Hamonic

Kulak-Murphy

Bartowski

Smith

Lack

Unless they get a LW

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland