The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Sign in to follow this  
rickross

CALGARY FLAMES VS. EDMONTON OILERS: Future, Past and Present

2 hours ago, rickross said:

Connor killed the Flames with his speed, GG should have studied some Ducks vs Oilers tape, Anaheim did a pretty good job limiting his chances even if it did open up Leon's game. Mike Smith was our best player by a mile, Flames have a ton of work to do. Took over 10 years for the BoA to reclaim relevance and now it's looking as though the Flames are on the wrong end of it. 

We didn't lose to the Oilers yesterday per se. 

We lost to Connor McDavid.

3 hours ago, rickross said:

Connor killed the Flames with his speed, GG should have studied some Ducks vs Oilers tape, Anaheim did a pretty good job limiting his chances even if it did open up Leon's game. Mike Smith was our best player by a mile, Flames have a ton of work to do. Took over 10 years for the BoA to reclaim relevance and now it's looking as though the Flames are on the wrong end of it. 

I mean we dont have a ton of work to do the flames looked really good out of a few shifts where connor mcdavid just took control and the shots were not all telling. Im not saying the flames were the better team last night by any stretch of the imagination but to say the gap is huge is not true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I mean we dont have a ton of work to do the flames looked really good out of a few shifts where connor mcdavid just took control and the shots were not all telling. Im not saying the flames were the better team last night by any stretch of the imagination but to say the gap is huge is not true.

You live and you "better" learn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I'd be more forgiving if the offence showed even the hint of a spark to offset our Defensive play. The game wasn't a disaster but when you have poor offensive and defensive play you have a lot of work ahead of you. Yesterday it looked like GG's plan to stop McDavid was Mike Smith. Allowing 44 shots isn't going to win you any games, last thing we need is overworking Mike Smith into an injury. It's sad when your goalie was the best passer on your team too lol

• Like 1

Calgary Looked Literally pathetic out there i have Seen them play 100%! Better passing sucked Defense was at Subway the only portion of the team that showed up was Mike Smith

38 minutes ago, rickross said:

I'd be more forgiving if the offence showed even the hint of a spark to offset our Defensive play. The game wasn't a disaster but when you have poor offensive and defensive play you have a lot of work ahead of you. Yesterday it looked like GG's plan to stop McDavid was Mike Smith. Allowing 44 shots isn't going to win you any games, last thing we need is overworking Mike Smith into an injury. It's sad when your goalie was the best passer on your team too lol

GG can't go out there and tell Brodie when to turn and skate in order to defend against someone much faster. This was goal 2, 3rd was and empty net, it wasn't as bad asyou are making it out to be. My disappointment was actually the lack of quality offense.

• Like 1

i think the oilers are going tk be a real thorn for the flames. Mcdavid is one thing but that's a very fast team in Edmonton and imo the biggest weakness of the flames is their ability to play at that tempo. I don't think they are capable of matching it. 

They can play better than they did last night but I suspect this will be a tough matchup for them all year. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

GG can't go out there and tell Brodie when to turn and skate in order to defend against someone much faster. This was goal 2, 3rd was and empty net, it wasn't as bad asyou are making it out to be. My disappointment was actually the lack of quality offense.

GG shouldn't have to tell Brodie those things, Brodie is paid millions of dollars to do that on his own. You can't have offence if your playing in your own end, which is why defence creates offence. Flames lost puck battles, failed to clear pucks and displayed poor passing, you can't just have offence and expect to win games. They go hand in hand , your D should be limiting shots, taking away time and space and create turnovers so your offence has time with the puck. The game wasn't a disaster but other than goaltending it was definitely a poor showing by the Flames. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rickross said:

Anaheim won the series because they had home ice advantage.  You line up Backlund's line against McDavid's and he has less freedom out there.  Last night Backlund's line played 3 minutes 5v5 against McDavid's line.  Outcoached.  One man forechecks against the Oilers, so they had room to exit cleanly and build speed.

41 minutes ago, rickross said:

GG shouldn't have to tell Brodie those things, Brodie is paid millions of dollars to do that on his own. You can't have offence if your playing in your own end, which is why defence creates offence. Flames lost puck battles, failed to clear pucks and displayed poor passing, you can't just have offence and expect to win games. They go hand in hand , your D should be limiting shots, taking away time and space and create turnovers so your offence has time with the puck. The game wasn't a disaster but other than goaltending it was definitely a poor showing by the Flames. 

I agree he shouldn't have to tell Brodie those things, my point. You take away a few brain cramps and we lose this game 1-0 hardly domination by EDM. Now that Jagr is here they can get down to some serious business and start putting a better effort out there.

9 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Now that Jagr is here...

Classic over expectations.  As much as I want Jagr to be the answer, he's still 45 and declining fast.  Let's be honest.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Classic over expectations.  As much as I want Jagr to be the answer, he's still 45 and declining fast.  Let's be honest.

As much as you and I don't see eye-to-eye on many things, I definitely agree with this.

26 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Even more interesting because Oilers made the Flames look slow and as we all know Jagr is not fleet of foot. 

Not saying he isn't going to help but if you put a healthy Jagr into last nights game you get the same result so I agree let's manage some expectations. 

40 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

You are taking this out of context totally. He is here for a reason, no one is expecting him to be the saviour . Do you think you are the only smart one here and the rest of us are stupid ?

16 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Even more interesting because Oilers made the Flames look slow and as we all know Jagr is not fleet of foot. 

Not saying he isn't going to help but if you put a healthy Jagr into last nights game you get the same result so I agree let's manage some expectations. 

Our coach wants a much better puck possession style of game with our team. There is no way we should be thinking run and gun with EDM.

2 hours ago, Kulstad said:

As much as you and I don't see eye-to-eye on many things, I definitely agree with this.

Let's agree more often.  

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Even Jagr was asking us to be patience with him in his press conference.  We definitely need to manage expectations.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

You are taking this out of context totally. He is here for a reason, no one is expecting him to be the saviour . Do you think you are the only smart one here and the rest of us are stupid ?

Didn't take you out of context because why does Jagr being here equate to "can get down to some serious business"?  It doesn't take Jagr to get down to serious business.  It's not like we are getting Crosby or something.

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Let's agree more often.  

Even Jagr was asking us to be patience with him in his press conference.  We definitely need to manage expectations.

Didn't take you out of context because why does Jagr being here equate to "can get down to some serious business"?  It doesn't take Jagr to get down to serious business.  It's not like we are getting Crosby or something.

He allows us to get our lines in order and get down to business. Really here I thought we were getting the next coming of Crosby. Forgot he came before Crosby.

6 straight losses to the Oilers. We lost to an Oiler team missing some it's top D man and goalie. They could have easily had 10 goals on us last night if not for Mike Smith yet again, so much for home ice advantage. No idea why the GG era Flames just fold when they play the Oil. 

20 minutes ago, rickross said:

6 straight losses to the Oilers. We lost to an Oiler team missing some it's top D man and goalie. They could have easily had 10 goals on us last night if not for Mike Smith yet again, so much for home ice advantage. No idea why the GG era Flames just fold when they play the Oil. 

As bad as we were last night, we can take that late comeback and use it in the upcoming games against EDM. We proved to ourselves what we can do them when we decide to play our game. Now it's only a matter of doing it for a full 60

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

As bad as we were last night, we can take that late comeback and use it in the upcoming games against EDM. We proved to ourselves what we can do them when we decide to play our game. Now it's only a matter of doing it for a full 60

We've been saying that for weeks now. If we play our game... but they’re hardly ever ready to start games and look slow at times...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

We've been saying that for weeks now. If we play our game... but they’re hardly ever ready to start games and look slow at times...

I think last night was just GG taking the ball and chain off in the 3rd period, go play pond hockey boys, take any risk you see fit.

Because god knows we aren't a high-scoring team and we blame it on "not enough finishers".

Then I see a game like last night and think, why will GG not turn his team loose unless it's 6-1?

Mind you, Broissoit helped out. He's just as bad as I remember him being. If I could knock off 30 years, I think I could take his job, lol.

He doesn't even know how to cover his angles, it is funny to watch. I find Luongo gets like that at times too, but more he gets out of his net and loses his way at the top of the crease. Whereas Broissoit, wow. I'd rather have EVERY goalie we have.

Instead of practicing it, I'd put Bro and Lu in a jr high Trigonometry coarse, lol.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think last night was just GG taking the ball and chain off in the 3rd period, go play pond hockey boys, take any risk you see fit.

Because god knows we aren't a high-scoring team and we blame it on "not enough finishers".

Then I see a game like last night and think, why will GG not turn his team loose unless it's 6-1?

Mind you, Broissoit helped out. He's just as bad as I remember him being. If I could knock off 30 years, I think I could take his job, lol.

He doesn't even know how to cover his angles, it is funny to watch. I find Luongo gets like that at times too, but more he gets out of his net and loses his way at the top of the crease. Whereas Broissoit, wow. I'd rather have EVERY goalie we have.

Instead of practicing it, I'd put Bro and Lu in a jr high Trigonometry coarse, lol.

I don't think a defensive group could play any worse than ours did last night. I didn't even bother watching the 3rd period. I agree with most everyone that this team needs to define what they want to be every game.

Primarily, it was sad to see Mike Cammalleri and Kris Russell (the former Flames) play for the Oilers and it often makes one wonder why this has occurred.  

Nevertheless, in the loss against the Oilers on Saturday should be rectified soon.  For the most part, the Flames are not a lowly team and have a lot of potential.  Key players need to be recognized for their performances.  For instance, coming back from a 5-1 deficit wasn't easy; and the team demonstrated resilience.  They could have tied the game had changes been made earlier in the game.    

On 12/3/2017 at 3:34 PM, conundrumed said:

Makes you wonder sometimes why he bothers with a system and doesn't just say "have at er boys every game".  It's not like the system is successful many nights.  According to GG, the best games we've played are the ones we've lost or ones where the score is low.  I haven;t seen many games where the defense has been playing good as 3 pairs.  

If the Flames have a lead going into the 3rd, they are undefeated in regulation and OT.  Something like 40-0-1.  So maybe the system only works when you have a lead.

On 12/3/2017 at 3:34 PM, conundrumed said:

Mind you, Broissoit helped out. He's just as bad as I remember him being. 

Broissoit was the only reason we had a chance to come back.  Scoring from the corner and impossible angles.

Well hey, just like Game 1 of the season when the Oilers beat us but it was all McDavid.  I said after that game if the Oilers play like they do against the Flames the rest of the way, they won't make the playoffs.  And they've been playing relying too much on one line.  This game, it's similar in that if the Oilers play that way in a cumulative 60-minutes, they won't make the playoffs.  Only against the Flames would the Oilers get the luxury of Brodie, and Rittich making a communication error behind the net.  Against most teams, the Oilers would've lost that game 5-3.

Sign in to follow this