Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pyromancer

Random Thought Thread

690 posts in this topic

This thread is intended for members to put forward one-off postings that aren't worthy of their own thread.

Independent thought, news, politics or whatever.

Posts may stand alone or initiate discussion as members see fit.

The extremist direction political correctness had taken disturbs me deeply.

What a pathetic weak society we have become and I fear for the future of individuality & humanity in general.

Case in point:

Liberal government advised not to call young people 'millennials' lest they be insulted - National Post 17-10-23

[Excerpt]

Don’t call young people “millennials,” because they find the term offensive, the federal government has been told.

In focus groups conducted for Employment and Social Development Canada, researchers determined earlier this year the word elicits “strong negative connotations” and is “considered derogatory and insulting to this generation.”

:rolleyes::unsure:

24 minutes ago, Pyromancer said:

What a pathetic weak society we have become and I fear for the future of individuality & humanity in general.

Case in point:

I guess we add the word "Millennials" to the swear filter.  Next will be "him" and "her" because it will offend those who self-identifies as gender neutral.

4 hours ago, Pyromancer said:

Case in point:

I guess that some political parties or their "strategists" view any vocal minority as the difference between a majority and minority government.  Appease the 20 people that are in favour of, offended by, don't like, feel slighted by, etc.  Don't worry about you base supporters because they just say, meh, it doesn't matter either way.

What a freakin society. 

I'm gonna throw this one out there because I feel that Notley is overstepping the boundary of provincial jurisdiction.  Probably wrong on this, because school seems to be anybody's baby.

I heard that Alberta will be starting an Arabic language K-12 program.  Said to be the fastest growing language.  Is that a surprise?

Nothing wrong with offering languages as options for students to learn but this is about improving proficiency in Arabic over the life of the student.

I thought there were two official languages in Canada; French an English.  In a lot of provinces French isn't even an option for getting services at the municipal or provincial level.  

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm gonna throw this one out there because I feel that Notley is overstepping the boundary of provincial jurisdiction.  Probably wrong on this, because school seems to be anybody's baby.

I heard that Alberta will be starting an Arabic language K-12 program.  Said to be the fastest growing language.  Is that a surprise?

Nothing wrong with offering languages as options for students to learn but this is about improving proficiency in Arabic over the life of the student.

I thought there were two official languages in Canada; French an English.  In a lot of provinces French isn't even an option for getting services at the municipal or provincial level.  

Any what is the problem with this?  I don't quite get your take.  

Too many migrants from the Middle East?  As long as we screen them hardcore before they come here, we shouldn't have a problem with them.  It's the ones like the terrorist in Edmonton who has a history with terrorism that we should not accept as refugees.  Those need to go.  The good ones can stay.

Is it the Arabic school?  I think there is Chinese/Mandarin K-to-whatever in Calgary.  Should we wonder WTF with that?  I guess so if it's publically funded I guess.  Probably a fair case to make that all government funded schools should be either English or French for obvious reasons.  Like Catholic schools, should there be an Islam school too?  Buddhist school?  Scientology school?

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Any what is the problem with this?  I don't quite get your take.  

Too many migrants from the Middle East?  As long as we screen them hardcore before they come here, we shouldn't have a problem with them.  It's the ones like the terrorist in Edmonton who has a history with terrorism that we should not accept as refugees.  Those need to go.  The good ones can stay.

Is it the Arabic school?  I think there is Chinese/Mandarin K-to-whatever in Calgary.  Should we wonder WTF with that?  I guess so if it's publically funded I guess.  Probably a fair case to make that all government funded schools should be either English or French for obvious reasons.  Like Catholic schools, should there be an Islam school too?  Buddhist school?  Scientology school?

No, it's not the language, be it Mandarin or Arabic.  We have two official languages and I would rather we spend public dollars teaching those languages to newcomers.  Does it sound bad that I would prefer that we support English and French so that it's easier for people to communicate in Canada?  Maybe.  

When I went to school in Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, and Alberta; we were taught English & French with an option for Latin.

In today's world, I think that the option should be Spanish or Mandarin Chinese.

2 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

When I went to school in Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, and Alberta; we were taught English & French with an option for Latin.

In today's world, I think that the option should be Spanish or Mandarin Chinese.

Yes, and I passed on Latin....I Arim Is As I Is, whatever the heck that means.  Had to sit in the room during the course.

Arabic may be the fastest growing language during the refugee influx (election promise), but the greatest population base coming in is likely Asian.  

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

No, it's not the language, be it Mandarin or Arabic.  We have two official languages and I would rather we spend public dollars teaching those languages to newcomers.  Does it sound bad that I would prefer that we support English and French so that it's easier for people to communicate in Canada?  Maybe.  

Sounds like you're saying it's not aliens but it's aliens.

In the end, it may not be what u think it is. Only a few courses in these schools actually teach Arabic and teach in Arabic while the others are regular English classes.  English will still be learned.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Sounds like you're saying it's not aliens but it's aliens.

In the end, it may not be what u think it is. Only a few courses in these schools actually teach Arabic and teach in Arabic while the others are regular English classes.  English will still be learned.

So, I guess I really should have researched this a bit better, but there was no context that I could find.

Apparently, EDM has the following K-12 bilingual programs:

French Immersion

Late French Immersion

Manadarin

German

Hebrew

Arabic (starting in 2018).

International Spanish Academy

ASL

An interesting concept.  I didn't realize we actually had bilingual programs in any other language than French.  

Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation? - theatlantic.com 17-09

[Excerpt] One day last summer, around noon, I called Athena, a 13-year-old who lives in Houston, Texas. She answered her phone—she’s had an iPhone since she was 11—sounding as if she’d just woken up. We chatted about her favorite songs and TV shows, and I asked her what she likes to do with her friends. “We go to the mall,” she said. “Do your parents drop you off?,” I asked, recalling my own middle-school days, in the 1980s, when I’d enjoy a few parent-free hours shopping with my friends. “No—I go with my family,” she replied. “We’ll go with my mom and brothers and walk a little behind them. I just have to tell my mom where we’re going. I have to check in every hour or every 30 minutes.”

Those mall trips are infrequent—about once a month. More often, Athena and her friends spend time together on their phones, unchaperoned. Unlike the teens of my generation, who might have spent an evening tying up the family landline with gossip, they talk on Snapchat, the smartphone app that allows users to send pictures and videos that quickly disappear. They make sure to keep up their Snapstreaks, which show how many days in a row they have Snapchatted with each other. Sometimes they save screenshots of particularly ridiculous pictures of friends. “It’s good blackmail,” Athena said. (Because she’s a minor, I’m not using her real name.) She told me she’d spent most of the summer hanging out alone in her room with her phone. That’s just the way her generation is, she said. “We didn’t have a choice to know any life without iPads or iPhones. I think we like our phones more than we like actual people.”

I have observed the phenomena discussed in this article numerous times.

Although smartphones have become a significant part of our lives, I am constantly witnessing the smartphone becoming people's lives.

Not only in post-millenials (hope I didn't offend any by calling them that :rolleyes:), but also adults who lived a large part of their lives in the pre-cellular era.

I have told several acquaintances who were obsessing over their phone, instead of actively participating in an old-style conversation, to put it away or in extreme cases, pick either the smartphone or me. I guess it's not really surprising, but some have chosen their phone. :unsure:

23 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So, I guess I really should have researched this a bit better, but there was no context that I could find.

Apparently, EDM has the following K-12 bilingual programs:

French Immersion

Late French Immersion

Manadarin

German

Hebrew

Arabic (starting in 2018).

International Spanish Academy

ASL

An interesting concept.  I didn't realize we actually had bilingual programs in any other language than French.  

The elementary in Highland Park, Calgary is Mandarin Immersion.  They have one class/session dedicated to Chinese/Mandarin language.  So read, write, and speak. I think they teach one other subject in full Mandarin.  Other than that, the rest of the day is full English.

In their kindergarten class, they have 3 White kids, 2 Black kids, 1 East Indian kid, and the rest Chinese.  The lack of White kids in Immersion schools is more of a concern as I believe the intention is for these schools to be majority White.  Helps with the whole immersion idea.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The elementary in Highland Park, Calgary is Mandarin Immersion.  They have one class/session dedicated to Chinese/Mandarin language.  So read, write, and speak. I think they teach one other subject in full Mandarin.  Other than that, the rest of the day is full English.

In their kindergarten class, they have 3 White kids, 2 Black kids, 1 East Indian kid, and the rest Chinese.  The lack of White kids in Immersion schools is more of a concern as I believe the intention is for these schools to be majority White.  Helps with the whole immersion idea.

I hope you understand my concern is that immersion and K-12 programs are all well and good, if the idea is to bring people together.  Multi-lingualism is a great concept.  If all you are doing is teaching in the other language to a bunch that only knows that language, then that doesn't seem to promote it, it provides for separation.   If you teach a bunch of kids a new language, then that seems to me to be better.   

I find it odd that the 2nd official language is not given priority. 

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I hope you understand my concern is that immersion and K-12 programs are all well and good, if the idea is to bring people together.  Multi-lingualism is a great concept.  If all you are doing is teaching in the other language to a bunch that only knows that language, then that doesn't seem to promote it, it provides for separation.   If you teach a bunch of kids a new language, then that seems to me to be better.   

I find it odd that the 2nd official language is not given priority. 

Ya understood.  We want these schools to be immersion and not segregation.

A Halifax councillor will now refuse to use the word 'marijuana' because he says it's racist against Mexicans - National Post 17-10-26

{Excerpt] HALIFAX — A Halifax councillor says he will no longer use the term “marijuana” because it is racist, sparking a social media debate over the well-used synonym for cannabis. Coun. Shawn Cleary said a police officer he works with on a cannabis legalization task force recently brought it to his attention that the term has a racist history. Cleary said in the early 1900s during the criminalization of cannabis in the U.S., “marijuana” was used to demonize marginalized communities, namely Mexicans.

Peeps...another word for your swear filter! <_<:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Pyromancer said:

Peeps...another word for your swear filter! <_<:rolleyes:

Those darn Haligonians.  The council has been beset in recent years with people that want a nanny state.  Policing garbage because they don't want to sort it.  Outlawing grass clippings because they are bad.  Let's make school zone speed limits that have no tie-in to school hours, because of all those kids walking by schools at 4am.  This is just typical.  Rename city streets because they might be offensive.  Come up with new names for things that don't really make sense.

No wonder kids want to stay inside and text each other.  The real world is a scary place inhabited by people that want to protect people from thinking themselves.         

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Those darn Haligonians.  The council has been beset in recent years with people that want a nanny state.  Policing garbage because they don't want to sort it.  Outlawing grass clippings because they are bad.  Let's make school zone speed limits that have no tie-in to school hours, because of all those kids walking by schools at 4am.  This is just typical.  Rename city streets because they might be offensive.  Come up with new names for things that don't really make sense.

No wonder kids want to stay inside and text each other.  The real world is a scary place inhabited by people that want to protect people from thinking themselves.         

we allowed to use Haligonians? :lol:

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

we allowed to use Haligonians? :lol:

Better than Dartmouthians or Bedfordtonians.  

I have no idea where they cam up with Haligonians.  Sounds like a bunch of toughies that hang around in bars.  

I wonder if Matthew Tkachuk's mouthguard actually damages his teeth when he chews on it.

Why do hockey commentators say that the puck "squirts" on the ice?

Do ice hockey surfaces really have corners?

Why do people defend ice hockey fights by saying that "they're part of the game"? Do they not realize that we are talking about fighting IN ice hockey? 

What is it like to have your favorite team cupless in 50 years (TOR)?

What is it like to have your favorite team never win a cup in their 47 years of existence (VAN)?

What is it like to win the lottery numerous times but still feel like a loser (EDM)?

Why don't they have referee & linesman statistics such as Assists, Missed Calls;etc?

Out here in the 'Peg Budweiser has glasses that light up (like their goal light) when synced to the team in some cases of beer. Ours are, of course, Jets 1s so I was wondering if there is a similar promo with Flames glasses out in Calgary. Most cans also have a Jets logo.

If so I might be asking a relative in Calgary to send me 1 (glass not case as we do have our own beer vendors :P).

27 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Out here in the 'Peg Budweiser has glasses that light up (like their goal light) when synced to the team in some cases of beer. Ours are, of course, Jets 1s so I was wondering if there is a similar promo with Flames glasses out in Calgary. Most cans also have a Jets logo.

If so I might be asking a relative in Calgary to send me 1 (glass not case as we do have our own beer vendors :P).

few years back they had a siren that light up that would sound off on goals. Not sure what they are marketing along those lines today.

I have the Flames app on my cellphone and setup to send a siren on goal or win.

On 10/25/2017 at 2:36 PM, Pyromancer said:

This thread is intended for members to put forward one-off postings that aren't worthy of their own thread.

Independent thought, news, politics or whatever.

Posts may stand alone or initiate discussion as members see fit.

When James Bond was born, did his Mother say, "Hello Mr. Bond, we've been expecting you"?:unsure:

Compliments of Viz Magazine.

index.jpg.dc2f05edd54f346c2f2b4eab99928d07.jpg

Oh..conundrumed....you're such a SHAThead :P

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0