The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowtownguy

2017 Grey Cup

I am not sure how many others will be watching today. My wife and I have our Stamps jerseys on, have some Stamps nachos ready to go, and even bought Stamps cupcakes for dessert. They have black and red icing and footballs on them. Ha! I sure hope that we get the win. I predict that we win by 10 points.

I don't understand why Quick Six can't be there. Seems to me that this is a marketing failure. Maybe we should have demanded 50 head of cattle to stampede when we score.

Go Stamps Go

Will only be my 3rd CFL game watched this year but due to my hockey-centric fandom, I am usually only a CFL playoff bandwagoner.

As always, a good Grey Cup party also rules!

The festivities begin for me @ 2:00 PM. :wacko:

Not much of a CFL fan these days but I'll be rooting for the Stamps.

Years ago my friends & I would have great Grey Cup parties. The traditional chili & what ever everyone brought besides beer.

1 year I brought pickled herring & smoked oysters. My buddy's son asked if he could try them & surprisingly @ 8 years old he liked them. In those days Grey Cup tickets were a big thing for fundraising so between watching the game & my tickets I wasn't really watching him. The kid scarfed them all down except the 1 measly 1 of each I popped in my mouth after opening them. Dang kid! I had to make do with chips & dip instead of my once a year munchies until it was chili time. :lol:

2 hours ago, Carty said:

They're gonna win it this year, I can feel it...   B)

GO STAMPS!!!

I heard that Bart was playing today, so maybe he will run the wrong way for a Argo TD.

4 hours ago, Carty said:

They're gonna win it this year, I can feel it...   B)

GO STAMPS!!!

Hoping so.

Don't want the "Center of the Universe" to get bragging rights to any thing.

14 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Pushing the receiver out of the play before ball gets there is interference... should have been..

My thoughts as well...

34 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Don't want the "Center of the Universe" to get bragging rights to any thing.

Same here...

Two big mistakes cost Calgary this game. 1st mistake was Jorden going for the extra yards and then fumbling the ball, you are already in the red zone a couple of extra yards isn't going to make much a difference and you have 3 guys on you just go down and secure the ball, instead he tries to be the hero and costs his team the game. The 2nd mistake was Bo throwing into double coverage for the last play of the game, I have no issues with the call, just can't throw into double coverage in that situation. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Two big mistakes cost Calgary this game. 1st mistake was Jorden going for the extra yards and then fumbling the ball, you are already in the red zone a couple of extra yards isn't going to make much a difference and you have 3 guys on you just go down and secure the ball, instead he tries to be the hero and costs his team the game. The 2nd mistake was Bo throwing into double coverage for the last play of the game, I have no issues with the call, just can't throw into double coverage in that situation. 

The first one was dumb.  No reason for it.  You have the game locked up and all you need to do is kick a FG.  I get the 2nd call, but it was a win or lose play.  Could have gone for the tie.

30 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The first one was dumb.  No reason for it.  You have the game locked up and all you need to do is kick a FG.  I get the 2nd call, but it was a win or lose play.  Could have gone for the tie.

I am fine with the play call at the end of the game, but if the option isn't open eat it and either look for another option or go for it on the next play or go for the tie. 

The fumble was dumb, again I am fine with going for the touchdown at that point in the game, but you have to be smart and protect the ball and if isn't there don't force it.

Unfortunatley for the Stamps it was two big mistakes that cost them the game. Obviously the Jorden one is the biggest but the other was Tommie Campbell going for the INT intstead of playing throw the man. Very unlikely that had Campbell just stayed on his feet that Argos get 100yrd TD out of that and with the way they moved the ball in the first half it's unlikely the get points. At that point in the game going for the INT made no sense.

The other is the Jorden fumble which is pretty self explanatory at this point. It's completely inexcusable what he did and it's one of the dumber things i've seen on a football field in a while. You just have to understand the situation you are in at that point in the game and understand that if the play isn't there you hit the deck and cut your losses, Jorden made a massive error in judgement. Now you can certainly question why they were throwing the ball in that situation but at the end of the day they called a very high percentage throw that has been successful for them all game and you certainly do not expect a player to fumble in the manor Jorden did. 

The Mitchell INT is a tough one for me. I liked the call becuase the object of the game is to win. I don't understand the logic of passing up a chance to win the game, which given field position and time on clock was very possible, to take the chances you can win in OT. To me, if you've got a chance to win the game, you take it and I applaud the aggressive call. It was a good play call but Mitchell locked onto his receiver too early, didn't look the safety off or freeze him int he middle of the field (which I think was the design of the play because there was another receiver running down the middle of the field) and then under threw the ball. It wasn't technically a throw into double coverage it was single coverage, but he didn't account for the safety. Good call, but bad execution and you would expect more from Mitchell in that circumstance but it's also a play that happens during the course of a game, just timing couldn't have been worse. 

Going to be a tough off season for the stamps. Two Grey Cups in a row now you've choked away. Normally you'd want heads to roll here but which ones? Tough, touch call.