The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyDeeds

WJC-U20 2017-18

Today's outdoor game will be strange. Just the fact it's never been done @ the WJC is enough but Team USA will be snarly after that loss.

Unless you are lucky enough to go watch an outdoor game in person, these games really have lost their novelty on TV. The camera angles suck, the hockey itself is choppy and takes away from the high end skill these players possess. I wish they would just do away with these silly outdoor games.

I notice the slots in the skates were filled with snow.

I remember from my childhood how tough it is to shoot through an acumulation of snow.

Lots of empty seats due to delays for Canadians crossing the border since the bridge was shut down for a while due to an accident.

Making the showcase game outdoors was't smart. Make it the New Years Eve game again

5 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I notice the slots in the skates were filled with snow.

I remember from my childhood how tough it is to shoot through an acumulation of snow.

Lots of empty seats due to delays for Canadians crossing the border since the bridge was shut down for a while due to an accident.

Making the showcase game outdoors was't smart. Make it the New Years Eve game again

Yeah, this game should have been about speed, skill and tenacious hockey, but it's anything but those things. It's slow, the players can't stick handle, the puck is sticking to the ice in some spots and bouncing in others. The players look like they are skating in mud, there is no flow to the game.

I get the idea of trying to grow the game and that playing outdoors is a huge spectacle, but it takes away from the speed and skill that makes this game great, this game is terrible to watch on TV.

4 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Let this stand. I already ate the radish. :)

And I just grabbed a beer. :P

The US team is really cranky. 

I wonder if since the Canadian fans showed up there are snowball fights in the stands. :lol:

Talking heads saying the Americans will use excuses. The announcers might but I think Team USA will move past whatever happens to win the rest of their games. A win over Finland keeps them in a decent spot.

9 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I wonder if since the Canadian fans showed up there are snowball fights in the stands. :lol:

Talking heads saying the Americans will use excuses. The announcers might but I think Team USA will move past whatever happens to win the rest of their games. A win over Finland keeps them in a decent spot.

A good old fashioned snowball fight. Awesome!

Shootouts still suck but it's more tolerable in the round robin. I thought the USA was done after being down 2 to 0.

16 hours ago, xstrike said:

Shootouts still suck but it's more tolerable in the round robin. I thought the USA was done after being down 2 to 0.

You have every right to cheer for the US team.  At least they have a Flames player. ;)

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

You have every right to cheer for the US team.  At least they have a Flames player. ;)

Yep, sorry to the rest of you but I'm going for the USA. I have watched a few Canada games as well though.

7 minutes ago, xstrike said:

Yep, sorry to the rest of you but I'm going for the USA. I have watched a few Canada games as well though.

You know, my friend, I actually think it's good to go for Team USA. I am from, and live in Canada, and tend to cheer for them - but I think that it's great for hockey as a whole when other teams win. The US is a primary example. I remember reading that minor hockey spiked considerably in Carolina after the Hurricanes won, and I love that there is now a superstar player in the NHL (sadly playing for the Leafs) from Arizona. I'm waiting for a superstar to come out of Compton. I'm hoping that PK in Nashville will help to diversify the game as well. If only there were a way to make it more accessible for underprivileged kids. 

I absolutely love hockey, and I have no doubt that good players will always come from Canada, Sweden, and so on - I'm thrilled to see the game grow elsewhere as well. 

Love. 

On 12/31/2017 at 3:10 PM, xstrike said:

No problem.

I always hope for a TC/USA Gold Medal game (although I want the US to settle for Silver).

That farce of the outdoor game POed me. I'm used to that all NA matchup NYE & that even took that away,

The outdoor games in the NHL were a novelty @ 1st but are just to get crowds bigger than abt arena holds. @least they come before 1/2 the season is over so good teams can survive.

In a short tournament where seeding are provided by goal differential if needed it becomes a gimmick.

7-2 over the Czechs. Were going for gold!

This is an amazingly fast group. I am really looking forward to seeing Dube in a Flames jersey.

Pretty sad game today. The US gets bronze. I understand that the weather has been less than stellar in Buffalo, but it looked like there were more Canadian fans watching the US-Czech game than Americans. Maybe they need to go back to holding in places like Saskatoon, Hamilton, Quebec City etc. This was like watching it when it is played in Europe. Sure hope the gold medal game has more people in attendance.

Next year, the WJC is in Victoria and Vancouver. They have a hard time getting Canucks fans out to games these days. Why they are charging bank is beyond me. The market is not bearing these prices. At just under 3k in tix for two people and a few grand in travel and accommodations, they have way priced me out of doing next year. Then again, my 6-year-old house is worth a meagre $500k, not $1.8 million for a 60-year-old 320 square foot townhouse in Slurrey, BC by the scumtrain.

The two players I have been most impressed with for Canada this tournament are Connor Timmins and Cale Makar, both Colorado draft picks. Timmins looks like a real solid defenseman, who can skate, thinks the game well, plays a solid defensive game and uses his size well. Makar is really exciting to watch, he is one of those players that when he gets the puck on his stick you expect something exciting to happen.

Dube isn't having as much of an offensive impact as I had hoped, but he is the physical and defensive presence on that top line. He is so great down low and along the boards. Don't love the line he is on, Steel and Kyrou aren't great puck distributers. Steel is a shoot first player and Kyrou tries to do everything on his own. Just kind of feels like they are all battling each other for the puck.

Wooot! I was literally just going to say that I want Dube to score and open the floodgates. 

The dude has leadership qualities.

14 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The two players I have been most impressed with for Canada this tournament are Connor Timmins and Cale Makar, both Colorado draft picks. Timmins looks like a real solid defenseman, who can skate, thinks the game well, plays a solid defensive game and uses his size well. Makar is really exciting to watch, he is one of those players that when he gets the puck on his stick you expect something exciting to happen.

Dube isn't having as much of an offensive impact as I had hoped, but he is the physical and defensive presence on that top line. He is so great down low and along the boards. Don't love the line he is on, Steel and Kyrou aren't great puck distributers. Steel is a shoot first player and Kyrou tries to do everything on his own. Just kind of feels like they are all battling each other for the puck.

Katchouk and Raddysh are pretty solid players as well. The Swedes are playing better than I anticipated.