Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
conundrumed

David freaking Rittich

71 posts in this topic

Not to take anything away from Mike freaking Smith, at all.

Is there any forecast on what we'll do with Rittich?

He's put up great numbers since he joined us 3 years ago.

But his starts are so limited, I can't make heads or tails of it, outside of the Mike freaking Smith part.

Really has me wondering, with Gillies coming up soon I'd imagine, what is our end game, or do we have one?

I like the depth at G in case the unmentionable happens.

But if it doesn't, how do we come out of camp next year?

Just wondering if anyone else is less confused than I am.

Rittich's numbers, here or the A, describe a goalie you would assume you have no problem starting. Watching his starts shows exactly the same thing.

Yet...here we are.

Feel free to go off on me, but I just don't understand the ongoing kid gloves with Rittich, are we hiding him, what are we doing??

If we're hiding him, would that only be to up his trade value?

#confused.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

But his starts are so limited, I can't make heads or tails of it, outside of the Mike freaking Smith part.

Really has me wondering, with Gillies coming up soon I'd imagine, what is our end game, or do we have one?

Rittich's numbers, here or the A, describe a goalie you would assume you have no problem starting. Watching his starts shows exactly the same thing.

Yet...here we are.

Feel free to go off on me, but I just don't understand the ongoing kid gloves with Rittich, are we hiding him, what are we doing??

#confused.

Rittich is a back up Goalie what is to be confused about. If anything he may allow us to trade one of Gilles or Parsons.

58 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Rittich is a back up Goalie what is to be confused about. If anything he may allow us to trade one of Gilles or Parsons.

What do you make of his AHL stats then?

Too good for the A, imho.

Are these backup goalie stats? His limited NHL numbers look no different...if anything, he looks due for a shutout.

https://theahl.com/stats/player/6479

58 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Are these backup goalie stats? His limited NHL numbers look no different...if anything, he looks due for a shutout.

I think he is a good Goalie given the split time in sharing a net. Workload is what will determine whether he is a Starter/Regular not small sample stats IMO. Once Smith is done then let the competition begin for the net, either one will emerge or we could have a good tandem. I like our Goalie pipeline.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I am quite pleased with his play. I cannot even remember a time when we had such a solid backup goalie. It will be interesting what he can make of the opportunities that he gets. At times, I wonder if he should get more games to give Smith some time off before the playoffs (assuming that we make the playoffs).

I'm thinking, why even draft goalies anymore?  Wasting picks on MacDonald, Gillies, Parsons, etc.  We just needed to sign UFAs from Europe.  Rittich is a keeper.  I'd like to see him play several games in a row to see if he can handle the work load.  Right now, he is the natural successor to Smith after Smith retires/leaves at the end of his current contract.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm thinking, why even draft goalies anymore?  Wasting picks on MacDonald, Gillies, Parsons, etc.  We just needed to sign UFAs from Europe.  Rittich is a keeper.  I'd like to see him play several games in a row to see if he can handle the work load.  Right now, he is the natural successor to Smith after Smith retires/leaves at the end of his current contract.

Do you think Smith leaves after this year? I assumed that we would try to keep him for one more year, or two.

17 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Do you think Smith leaves after this year? I assumed that we would try to keep him for one more year, or two.

Smith is signed for one more season after this one.

Rittich I think needs to be re-signed first. But I would love to see him on a 2 year deal (I imagine it would be 1 mil/year or less, seeing as he is currently making less than 800k this year). Especially with how he has been, at worst he is a backup next year for Smith. At best, he pushes Smith into a possible 1a/1b scenario. 

Either way, he looks good right now, but I'd rather give him a few more games to see, especially since teams don't have the book on him (once they do, I figure his stats will drop a bit, by how much will really determine how good he is).

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Yet...here we are.

#confused.

I would think that Rittich will start more games in the 2nd half this year.  He's exactly what you need to push Smith.  He's capable of playing any night.

The wn streak is creating some issues with the team lineup.  We won, so we can;t change a thing.  e can only use Rittich on B2B's. 

I think the plan this year will be the same next year.  Run with Smith/Rittich, but assume a declining number of starts for Smith.  Rittich will need to win the job to end Smith's time here.  And there's every reason to believe that will happen.  Gillies will be the backup in two years if Smith is here next year.  When Gillies is here, he will battle with Rittich for the starter job.  

That's the only scenario I can think that makes any sense.  Parsons looks like a longer term project than Gillies.  Both have high value to the org.  I know Smith is the man right now, but I think BT believes that he's an interim solution.  I think even he's surprised how well SMith is doing. 

Everything is following a proper path .

There was no way Gillies was / is coming up next season  just to be a backup , he is not waiver eligible , Rittich is .

Rittich needed to take a step, hes doing that. He will spend the remainder of this season showing more and more what he can do as a backup  - Next season the backup job is his to lose - and he'll be looked at to determine what type of workload he can really handle 

Gilles continues to develop as the number one guy in Stockton-- but now he's being pushed by a guy who can legitimately take his job 

Barring a Fountain of Youth showing from Smith ,  next season should be Smith / Rittich from Game 1-- 2019/2020 Rittich and Gilles(likely )  /Parsons -- If Smith keeps showing how ageless he can be, one of Gillies / Parsons likely to be moved (or available for the right deal)

Not a bad problem to have 

1 person likes this

On 1/19/2018 at 6:20 PM, The_People1 said:

I would be okay with that, preferably younger ones.  Roman Durny, for instance.

Would need to see more of Rittich, he is in the Cinderalla phase right now where most NHL teams don't know him.

Best scenario imho, is continue with the "surprise attack" where the Flames bring out Riittich last minute when the other team is prepared for Smith.   

The question is, will NHL teams learn faster about Rittich, or will Rittich learn faster about the NHL?   The more time he is given as an unknown, the better his odds of adjusting.  Because at some point the difficulty level he faces will increase substantially.

37 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I would be okay with that, preferably younger ones.  Roman Durny, for instance.

Would need to see more of Rittich, he is in the Cinderalla phase right now where most NHL teams don't know him.

Best scenario imho, is continue with the "surprise attack" where the Flames bring out Riittich last minute when the other team is prepared for Smith.   

The question is, will NHL teams learn faster about Rittich, or will Rittich learn faster about the NHL?   The more time he is given as an unknown, the better his odds of adjusting.  Because at some point the difficulty level he faces will increase substantially.

Re, your bolded.  I don't think the lack of a book on Rittich is much of an advantage.  Reason being is that he plays the fundamentals well but not spectacular.  He's not bad in any specific area.  He's going to have to learn to play every game the exact same way, whether that is 4 in a row or one every 10.  His knock has been consistency.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

The question is, will NHL teams learn faster about Rittich, or will Rittich learn faster about the NHL? 

My wonder is, he's played enough in the A, is that not where you write books? I don't mean that to be a smart arse, but I wonder.

Not just Murray, but Holtby is another goalie who came out of the A and everyone just kinda went, "ummm".

Not saying Rittich is that, just that he hasn't been proven not to be.Why?

What are we waiting for? Why the short leash?

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

My wonder is, he's played enough in the A, is that not where you write books? I don't mean that to be a smart arse, but I wonder.

Not just Murray, but Holtby is another goalie who came out of the A and everyone just kinda went, "ummm".

Do you disagree with how he is being used ? It's hard for a coach not use his Goalie to inspire others when you have Smith playing the way he is. Rittich has been solid when called upon which is what you want but make o mistake he is here to back up not challenge Smith for is job.

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Do you disagree with how he is being used ? It's hard for a coach not use his Goalie to inspire others when you have Smith playing the way he is. Rittich has been solid when called upon which is what you want but make o mistake he is here to back up not challenge Smith for is job.

Smith is indeed the #1

i would start looking to get Rittich into a couple more though (not saying give him a ton, but a few more would be nice)

> do not want to ride Smith 70+ games if can be helped.

> shake up the team in front of them, totally different team playing in front of Rittich (or so it seems) where they are playing more responsibly and not just leaving it to smith to save their bacon

> find out what we actually have in Rittich (sample size is still too small to know if backup is completely solved for now)

Not taking anything away from Smith as he has been Great and is most definately the MVP of the season so far.  But there are many different reasons to get your backup a few more games here and there.

3 minutes ago, JustAFlamer said:

Smith is indeed the #1

i would start looking to get Rittich into a couple more though (not saying give him a ton, but a few more would be nice)

> do not want to ride Smith 70+ games if can be helped.

> shake up the team in front of them, totally different team playing in front of Rittich (or so it seems) where they are playing more responsibly and not just leaving it to smith to save their bacon

> find out what we actually have in Rittich (sample size is still too small to know if backup is completely solved for now)

Not taking anything away from Smith as he has been Great and is most definately the MVP of the season so far.  But there are many different reasons to get your backup a few more games here and there.

I agree he should be getting slotted in more than he has so far. I like what I have seen small sample or not , his fundamentals are solid with great reaction to the action.

I'll be very confused if Rittich doesn't get a start in the upcoming b2b. Yes they are 2 big games and there is a break coming up, but we can't play Smith every game. Also Rittich has done nothing thus far but play excellent when given the chance.

My guess is we see him in EDM... Maybe he will be the one to break the losing streak

14 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think we have talked about this before, but Smith takes away some of the exit options for the Flames when he clears the puck himself.  Rittich is just a pass-to-defense kinda guy.  As suck, the D-men make simpler passes out of the zone.

The short leash is evident for all but the vets and top 6 players, not just Rittich.  I don't really know what else Rittich has to do to get starts.  Smith lets in 2 weak goals (by his own admission) in a close game, but is unworldly in the rest of it.  Rittich plays a simple game which relies on a few big saves and just steady saves for the low and medium danger areas.  His stats suggest that he's been even better than Smith.  His worst game .923 and his best .953.  The EDM game is an outlier, since he came in and gave up a goal on a muffed up play.  2 goals on 6 shots (or was it saves).

Smith has played like an All Star, but we are killing him with games like the Sabres and Jets.  They need to come up with a plan on how to rotate in Rittich.  Is the coach just asking Smith if he's ok to play another 60 minutes?  Maybe they should ask him if he's ok taking faceoffs.

16 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Another solid outing for Rittich.

Still doing a nice job of keeping things pretty darn quiet back there!:)

I like Rittich, he plays a solid game.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Another solid outing for Rittich.

Still doing a nice job of keeping things pretty darn quiet back there!:)

I felt he stopped a few that Smitty would have let in.

The Hall 2nd chance goal was a complete breakdown in front.  He made a nice save, then had no time to come out and take away the rest of the net.

I like his response to what is important to him - 2 points.  He doesn't care if he lets in 9, as long as we score 10 and he stops the last chance for the other team.  He just wants to win.  Love it.  He was so pissed about losing to the Oilers, even with the video review goal.    

21 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I felt he stopped a few that Smitty would have let in.

The Hall 2nd chance goal was a complete breakdown in front.  He made a nice save, then had no time to come out and take away the rest of the net.

I like his response to what is important to him - 2 points.  He doesn't care if he lets in 9, as long as we score 10 and he stops the last chance for the other team.  He just wants to win.  Love it.  He was so pissed about losing to the Oilers, even with the video review goal.    

When you say a few that means 3+. Their save% is not that different to say Smitty would have let in 3+ more goals. I don't see how you can even imagine this statement. There is no comparison because the team plays different between our goalies, especially when one is a puck handler and the other is not so much. 

If you truly can foretell that one goalie would stop and the other not, then you should be a goalie coach for an NHL team as it would be a huge advantage over all the other teams.

He should care if he allows 9+ goals and so should we. I understand the "as long as we win mentality" but that should only be for a freak game situation and certainly not more than once or twice a year. We can't score 10 goals consistently so we have to care.

52 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

When you say a few that means 3+. Their save% is not that different to say Smitty would have let in 3+ more goals. I don't see how you can even imagine this statement. There is no comparison because the team plays different between our goalies, especially when one is a puck handler and the other is not so much. 

If you truly can foretell that one goalie would stop and the other not, then you should be a goalie coach for an NHL team as it would be a huge advantage over all the other teams.

He should care if he allows 9+ goals and so should we. I understand the "as long as we win mentality" but that should only be for a freak game situation and certainly not more than once or twice a year. We can't score 10 goals consistently so we have to care.

Don't get all worked up about it.  I was saying that Smith has a few weak areas that can get exploited as does every goalie.  That also doesn't mean that Smith lets in 6.  

Smith has been the team's MVP, so it doesn't matter. 

The other comment is that he doesn;t care as much as personal stats (GAA and SA%).  Nothing more, nothing less.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0