The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone catch the action today.

US 5 Canada 4 in a shootout. Tough match to start the tourney.

No McDavid in the shootout as he took a late penalty in OT so was unavailable for the shootout (Int'l rules).

22 hours ago, conundrumed said:

No McDavid in the shootout as he took a late penalty in OT so was unavailable for the shootout (Int'l rules).

I didn't realize that was a rule. I think another former Oiler kind of reduced our hopes for that game. I didn't manage to watch it, but replays stated that Eberle took a penalty that generated a goal. Yeah, not the way to start the tournament.

The Oilers screw us even when we aren't playing them. :rolleyes: 

We play South Korea at 4:00am tomorrow!?

21 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I didn't realize that was a rule. I think another former Oiler kind of reduced our hopes for that game. I didn't manage to watch it, but replays stated that Eberle took a penalty that generated a goal. Yeah, not the way to start the tournament.

It was a close game and probably the outcome was correct. The Islanders line in general, jeez you guys, no wonder the Isles give up the most shots by a mile, play D much?

That was Beauvillier-Barzal-Eberle. Also made me realize I'm not big on ROR. Get him off the 1st pp, egads, like watching paint dry with him. He is not fast.

Gaudreau-P. Kane on the same line, yowzers!

2 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

The Oilers screw us even when we aren't playing them. :rolleyes: 

We play South Korea at 4:00am tomorrow!?

Really? That timeline seems off, going to check it out.

Just now, conundrumed said:

It was a close game and probably the outcome was correct. The Islanders line in general, jeez you guys, no wonder the Isles give up the most shots by a mile, play D much?

That was Beauvillier-Barzal-Eberle. Also made me realize I'm not big on ROR. Get him off the 1st pp, egads, like watching paint dry with him. He is not fast.

Gaudreau-P. Kane on the same line, yowzers!

I kind of thought that Johnny would be on a fast line. Too bad they are playing Denmark. 

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Holy crap sure enough 4:15am.

A little early in the morning. I didn't even realize that South Korea had a team. When I scroll ahead through my menu, a TSN picture comes up saying #HereWeGo, the 2016 World Junior Championship Dec > Jan 5. RogersSN and Bell/TSN sure do some odd things.

1 minute ago, Cowtownguy said:

A little early in the morning. I didn't even realize that South Korea had a team. When I scroll ahead through my menu, a TSN picture comes up saying #HereWeGo, the 2016 World Junior Championship Dec > Jan 5. RogersSN and Bell/TSN sure do some odd things.

I despise trying to find IIHF tourney sites in Canada. Constantly Hockey Canada and TSN results for an entire page. And I can't stand trying to navigate their sites for what I'm looking for.

Easier to go to HFBoards and it's awfully easy to get good info.

On 5/4/2018 at 2:58 PM, conundrumed said:

I think they need to adopt that rule in the NHL. I like it. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I think they need to adopt that rule in the NHL. I like it. 

At first I was wtf? But then I thought, that actually makes sense.

Interesting to see Backland being used as the in front net prescence on the Swedish PP.  Got a deflection and a goal against the French aswell.

Going into the 3rd period, Latvia and the US are tied. I have no doubts that the US will win, but I am impressed with how Latvia has improved in ice hockey. Lithuania and Estonia have not done so. 

David Rittich has looked really solid in net for the Czech Republic. The game against Russia is almost over and it is tied 3-3.

19 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

For some reason, the Koreans are freaked out of the neutral zone. All play is in their zone. Weird.

:lol::lol::lol:

Well played, well played...you been hanging onto that one for a while or what?

Nice one!

Maybe it'll turn around when they're shooting on the West side of the arena?

edit

or South of course, for our beloved slower folk

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Well played, well played...you been hanging onto that one for a while or what?

Nice one!

Maybe it'll turn around when they're shooting on the West side of the arena?

No, it just occurred to me. Gotta appreciate them fielding a team. They need NA help to do so properly IMO.

Johnny sure whines a lot in this tournament. It is often justified (hand slashes), but often it is not (when he runs into a goalie accidentally on purpose). I actually hope that Peters calls him on this. Kane is a similar type of player and doesn't complain nearly as often. Johnny needs to mature in this regard.

Given that Tavares is not in the series, and it is a contract year for him, is his absence best explained by a desire to test the free agent market?

McJeebus misses an open net. :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Given that Tavares is not in the series, and it is a contract year for him, is his absence best explained by a desire to test the free agent market?

McJeebus misses an open net. :rolleyes:

If you are a pending UFA, why would you risk playing in a nothing tourney?

He has enough value without picking up his stick.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

If you are a pending UFA, why would you risk playing in a nothing tourney?

He has enough value without picking up his stick.

The Islanders know his value to the team, so even if he were hurt at the tournament, I doubt that they would try to get a cheaper contract from him. That would push him out. So, injury is not an issue for him to the Isles. What I am wondering is if a person can reasonably speculate that not attending the tournament is indicative of his desire to test the open market and leave the Islanders. It could also mean that he just wants time out. An 82 game season is a long one.

2 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

The Islanders know his value to the team, so even if he were hurt at the tournament, I doubt that they would try to get a cheaper contract from him. That would push him out. So, injury is not an issue for him to the Isles. What I am wondering is if a person can reasonably speculate that not attending the tournament is indicative of his desire to test the open market and leave the Islanders. It could also mean that he just wants time out. An 82 game season is a long one.

He could end his career playing there.

But, my point was that he is going to go to the wire with UFA.  Why wouldn't he.

Max term is the only thing extra they can offer him over a crazy FA offer.

Playing on a contender is a big thing for some player.

If NYI doesn't make some big draft day trades or before the week leading up to FA, they may not get much interest from him.

Probably worth pointing out, that it was Tavares that tore his knee during the 2014 Olympics and wound up missing the rest of the season. 

Maybe it means something, maybe it doesn't, but it wouldn't shock me if Tavares thinks twice about international tournaments. 

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Wow, it took OT to get the 2-1W out of Latvia.

Something tells me we won't get a medal, for some reason...

Not necessarily challenging the conclusion, but worth pointing out it took OT for US to beat Latvia 3-2. Latvia has done a real nice job trapping up the bigger ice and slowing down the bigger guns.  Canada was all over them in the 3rd but couldn't buy a goal. Funny thing is the Latvia goalie Gudlevskis is the same goalie that just about stole the game from Canada in the 2014 Sochi Olympics. Something about playing Canada gets him fired up.

Not that i've watched a ton, but Canada needs a lot more out of it's better players here. McDavid, O'Reilly and Ekblad have all looked pretty terrible so far.