The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not necessarily challenging the conclusion, but worth pointing out it took OT for US to beat Latvia 3-2. Latvia has done a real nice job trapping up the bigger ice and slowing down the bigger guns.  Canada was all over them in the 3rd but couldn't buy a goal. 

Not that i've watched a ton, but Canada needs a lot more out of it's better players here. McDavid, O'Reilly and Ekblad have all looked pretty terrible so far. 

It's sure turned me off of ROR. I knew he's not a great skater, but wow, he is not even a good skater.

He looks lethargic, is the best way to describe it.

That's what $7.5 per for 5 yrs buys?

OUCH.

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

Funny thing is the Latvia goalie Gudlevskis is the same goalie that just about stole the game from Canada in the 2014 Sochi Olympics. Something about playing Canada gets him fired up.

Guy has back to back .897 save percentage in the last 2 AHL seasons. He does have a .959 career in the nhl [3 games, 132 minutes]. Maybe he just needs to play against the highest competition with lots of shots against? Offer him a contract? He is only 25.... just kidding, but maybe the islanders would like him with how many shots against they get per game?

On May 14, 2018 at 2:41 PM, cross16 said:

Not necessarily challenging the conclusion, but worth pointing out it took OT for US to beat Latvia 3-2. Latvia has done a real nice job trapping up the bigger ice and slowing down the bigger guns.  Canada was all over them in the 3rd but couldn't buy a goal. Funny thing is the Latvia goalie Gudlevskis is the same goalie that just about stole the game from Canada in the 2014 Sochi Olympics. Something about playing Canada gets him fired up.

Not that i've watched a ton, but Canada needs a lot more out of it's better players here. McDavid, O'Reilly and Ekblad have all looked pretty terrible so far. 

Yeah, their coach totally knows how to play defensive hockey! :P He has done a lot with those players.

Ryan O'Reilly, RNH, and McDavid have been really disappointing. I am not sure what is going on, but it feels like Oilers mojo on Team Canada. But hey, we TOTALLY rocked South Korea, and McDavid will kill those players on the Mozambique team!

I get the state of goaltending in Canada the last half decade isn't fantastic and i'm sure many said No but boy the fact that Darcy Keumper has to start a game like this for Canada on the World Stage is pretty disappointing. That 2nd goal was pretty weak, as has been his performance all tournament.

As a Canadian, just disappointing. 

Well Canada moves on mostly on the strength of a very good PP and a bit of lucky call in OT. 3 PP goals for Canada to beat Russia 5-4.

a game that really only went to OT due to Darcy Keumper, but a nice win none the less. Good to see them turn their PP around. 

Swiss with the upset over Finland in the Quarters. pretty big upset in my books given how well the Fins were playing so far in the tournament. Looked to have a lot of fire power. Latvia almost pulled the upset on Sweden but Swedes pull it out.

Semis:

Can vs Sui

Swe vs USA

Canada upset by the Swiss today so no gold for Canada. Will play US for the bronze. 

Swiss played a perfect defensive game and got a world class performance from their goalie. Canada absolutely dominated the majority of the game but couldn't crack through and Keumper was again sub par. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Canada upset by the Swiss today so no gold for Canada. Will play US for the bronze. 

Swiss played a perfect defensive game and got a world class performance from their goalie. Canada absolutely dominated the majority of the game but couldn't crack through and Keumper was again sub par. 

Tough to win when you aren't getting saves.  In a tournament like this goaltending is more or less the difference between a medal and going home with nothing.

To be a little fair to Keumper I thought Canada didn't play great from about the 12-14 mark of the first till the 3rd. They weren't skating or driving scoring areas as you'd like and couldn't draw any PPs. They were dominate after but when a team plays defense like the Swiss did, it's so hard to come back down 2. 

Would have helped if Mcdavid wasn't invisible. Can't believe he was one of Canada's 3 best players. 

Edit: his response of "yeah...whatever" after the game tells you how much he cared about this tournament. 

The biggest thing I learned from watching the last 2 games of this tournament is just how good Colton Parayko is, the guy is a beast, and just how overrated Aaron Ekblad is, he wasn't very impressive.

Canada spent a lot of time on the perimeter, guys like Barzal and McDavid just skates and held onto the puck till they had nowhere to go with it.

31 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The biggest thing I learned from watching the last 2 games of this tournament is just how good Colton Parayko is, the guy is a beast, and just how overrated Aaron Ekblad is, he wasn't very impressive.

Canada spent a lot of time on the perimeter, guys like Barzal and McDavid just skates and held onto the puck till they had nowhere to go with it.

You read my mind. What is going on with this guy? He generates more turnovers than my local baker, excellent passes to the opposition, and needs to learn how to skate. I considered the possibility that he was injured, but why play in a tournament like this if you are hurt? Ekblad was just terrible.Canada's passing was horrible. McDavid was not particularly good either.