The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anie8706

2026 World Cup

Unless you’ve lived under a rock the past few days. I’m sure you’ve heard about US/Canada/Mexico won the bid to host the World Cup in 2026.

I’m sitting here wondering which matches will be held in the Commonwealth stadium in Edmonton and wondering what your reactions are so far?

Mine’s been pretty much thinking how are Edmontonians going to react. My prediction would be not liking spending money for it. But I’m sure Tourism would be nice? 

Also Canada has some really old and dated stadiums. The ones in Mexico are much nicer.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Canada is hosting world cup?  

A few games of it yes. Joint bid between Canada, US and Mexico. Believe as of now Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal are scheduled to host games but now word as to what games. 

It is cool and hopefully it can help inspire another generation of soccer players and increase the interest in the sport in Canada. However, it's tough to get too excited about giving Calgary isn't going to host anything, wont' see a benefit, and it means you are doing business with FIFA. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

A few games of it yes. Joint bid between Canada, US and Mexico. Believe as of now Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal are scheduled to host games but now word as to what games. 

It is cool and hopefully it can help inspire another generation of soccer players and increase the interest in the sport in Canada. However, it's tough to get too excited about giving Calgary isn't going to host anything, wont' see a benefit, and it means you are doing business with FIFA. 

Can we get CalgaryNext built in time?

I know a lot feel Calgary cannot host a MLS soccer team but if we can host a world cup game, it could be a good start.

On 6/13/2018 at 10:13 AM, The_People1 said:

Can we get CalgaryNext built in time?

I know a lot feel Calgary cannot host a MLS soccer team but if we can host a world cup game, it could be a good start.

Highly doubt it at this rate...

Calgary has a new expansion team in the Canadian Premier League set to start in 2019 so my guess is a MLS team is not on their radar. that being said it will be interested to see how the Calvary do and can this be a test for an MLS team. I'm not closed to an MLS team, but i'm skeptical Calgary can support it. 

The old man doesn't have television and is craving to watch the games. So, that rules out TSN which demands a subscription. He lives in a small town where the games will not be broadcasted in "the pub". Hopefully, YouTube has them available even if not live. If anyone has another idea on how to watch them, lemme know.