Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

1,292 posts in this topic

Sign Derek Ryan 2millx3

Move Stone to OTT for Zack Smith with $ retained on Smith, something like 750k

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Move Bennett back to Backlund where he had his best season

Tkachuk-Jankowski-Ryan

Use this as a 2nd scoring line. Ryan and Janko can flip flop who takes draws. Not a demotion on Tkachuk as much as we need more scoring through out the lineup and I think him and Ryan can really help Janko

Brouwer-Smith-Lazar

Hathaway and Klimchuk as the extra forwards that  should push Lazar AND Brouwer for games on the 4th line

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Kulak-Andersson

Hogstrom as the extra D. Read reports that he was one of the best D in his league back in Europe. Not sure that translates to NA, but I'd rather him eat popcorn than a young guy

Smith

Rittich

Let Rittich and Gillies battle it out all preseason for the backup role. My guess is Rittich as he was pretty good here last year other than when Smith went down, but Gillies wasn't great either

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Bennett-Ryan-Czarnik

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Brouwer

Lazar-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Kulak-Stone

Andersson

Smith

Rittich

^^^^^

Interesting.

I would do:

Johnny-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Janko-Ryan

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Mangiapane-Dube-Brouwer

Czarnik, Hathaway

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Kulak-Andersson

Prout or Kylington 

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

^^^^^

Interesting.

I would do:

Johnny-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Janko-Ryan

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Mangiapane-Dube-Brouwer

Czarnik, Hathaway

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Kulak-Andersson

Prout or Kylington 

The best part of adding Lindholm and Ryan is the flexibility it gives this lineup, not too mention the added faceoff ability. Peters can basically sculpt his lineup to best matchup against the opposition on any given day.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

The best part of adding Lindholm and Ryan is the flexibility it gives this lineup, not too mention the added faceoff ability. Peters can basically sculpt his lineup to best matchup against the opposition on any given day.

Yes, that kinda why I was having Ryan as Janko's winger.  They can concentrate on strong side faceoffs.

Czarnik doesn't need to be in the AHL, but I don;t see him 3rd line yet.  Lazar may be on the move to the AHL or another team.  Same could be said for Hathaway, but I would probably replace him with one of the other farm hands like Shinkaruk.

Dube is probably the only guy that could use Brouwer on his wing.  Mangiapane gives him some speed to work with.  

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

^^^^^

Interesting.

I would do:

Johnny-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Janko-Ryan

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Mangiapane-Dube-Brouwer

Czarnik, Hathaway

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Kulak-Andersson

Prout or Kylington 

Yes, looks much better.  No more signings unless they also make some trades to move guys out.  

So many different possible forward combos as of now if we signed Maroon then...

Gaudreau-Monahan-Maroon

Frolik-Backlund-Lindholm

Bennett-Jankowski-Ryan

Brouwer-Ryan-Czarnik

26 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

So many different possible forward combos as of now if we signed Maroon then...

Gaudreau-Monahan-Maroon

Frolik-Backlund-Lindholm

Bennett-Jankowski-Ryan

Brouwer-Ryan-Czarnik

You’re forgetting Tkachuk.

7 minutes ago, FueltheFlames1075 said:

I don't think he forgot him, he must have traded him for Bobby Ryan, as he has two Ryan's in his lineup.

4 minutes ago, FueltheFlames1075 said:

He has two Ryan's.

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don't think he forgot him, he must have traded him for Bobby Ryan, as he has two Ryan's in his lineup.

Tried to type to fast lol, meant Tkachuk there 

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Tried to type to fast lol, meant Tkachuk there 

Figured as much.

Can;t say it makes much sense to pay Ryan $3m to play on the 4th.

If we sign Maroon, you have to get rid of Brouwer at the least.  More likely Frolik or Bennett would need to be dealt.

Just too many players that are better than the 4th line.

uByXowM.png

The wild card is Czarnik, and it won't surprise me if the ends up off the team or in a depth role.  Ignore the forward line order (outside of the clear top line).  The Flames have the depth now to run four lines all of which are a threat.  

Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal

Bennett, Jankowski, Lindholm 

Tkachuk, Backlund, Frolik

Brouwer, Ryan, Czarnik

20 minutes ago, kehatch said:

uByXowM.png

The wild card is Czarnik, and it won't surprise me if the ends up off the team or in a depth role.  Ignore the forward line order (outside of the clear top line).  The Flames have the depth now to run four lines all of which are a threat.  

I think Bennett might be traded soon. We keep expecting more points from the kid but never give him any PP time. Some PP last year could’ve got him maybe 10 extra points ? Or more if it raised his confidence. Oh well! He is quickly or continually looking like the odd man out.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal

Bennett, Jankowski, Lindholm 

Tkachuk, Backlund, Frolik

Brouwer, Ryan, Czarnik

I think Bennett might be traded soon. We keep expecting more points from the kid but never give him any PP time. Some PP last year could’ve got him maybe 10 extra points ? Or more if it raised his confidence. Oh well! He is quickly or continually looking like the odd man out.

With our top 3 C's (and most of our top 6) locked in for 3+ years it is certainly possible Bennett is moved.  You can say the same for Jankowski.  But unless you are getting a great option in net as the return I don't see the point.  We don't have any other area that requires improvement, and trading him for futures in July doesn't make sense.  Bennett has every opportunity to beat out someone like Czarnik and grab a spot.  Injuries will also happen and Bennett will get opportunity throughout the season. 

Thanks Kehatch.

It's tough to even imagine the lines next year.  Neal is a top line player, but may fit better with Backlund and Tkachuk.  Would expect to see him on the top line for part of camp at the least.  Czarnik will get the reps to play on the team, they even talked about him on the PP.  Ryan is not going to be on the 4th line.  Stone s not long for this team.

I will try this again with Neal on the books:

Johnny-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Bennett-Ryan-Frolik

Mangiapane-Janko-Czarnik

Hathaway, Quine or Shinkaruk

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Kulak-Andersson

Prout

Brouwer bought out or waived.  Lazar demoted to the AHL.  Too many RHS as spares, so I subbed in Quine or Shinkaruk (both older) to balance it out.

The "4th" line is all about speed and tenacity.  Hate to drop Janko there, but we need the best C's in the top 9.  We are able to promote 3 AHL players, which is essential considering the guys that will still be on the farm.  Dube, Valimaki, Klimchuk, Phillips, Kylington, Gawdin to mention a few that could be in contention in a year or two.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Neal

Bennett - Monahan - Tkachuk

Frolik - Backlund - Ryan

Mangiapane - Jankowski - Hathaway

X: Brouwer, Lazar

Giordano - Brodie

Hanifin - Hamonic

Kulak - Andersson

x: Stone

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Thanks Kehatch.

It's tough to even imagine the lines next year.  Neal is a top line player, but may fit better with Backlund and Tkachuk.  Would expect to see him on the top line for part of camp at the least.  Czarnik will get the reps to play on the team, they even talked about him on the PP.  Ryan is not going to be on the 4th line.  Stone s not long for this team.

Johnny-Monahan-Neal

Bennett-Ryan-Frolik

Mangiapane-Janko-Czarnik

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Kulak-Andersson

Prout

Brouwer bought out or waived.  Lazar demoted to the AHL.  Too many RHS as spares, so I subbed in Quine or Shinkaruk (both older) to balance it out.

The "4th" line is all about speed and tenacity.  Hate to drop Janko there, but we need the best C's in the top 9.  We are able to promote 3 AHL players, which is essential considering the guys that will still be on the farm.  Dube, Valimaki, Klimchuk, Phillips, Kylington, Gawdin to mention a few that could be in contention in a year or two.

Seems a bit top heavy though with a questionable bottom 6.  Ryan has never been a defensive C, and there is a big lack of experience on the Jankowski line. 

The sense I have is Lindholm is probably going to end up at C. That is probably appropriate as it gives you two defensive centres and is a great starting point for your top 6 lines.  I think the forward pairs (C/W) are Monahan/Gaudreau, Lindholm/Tkachuk, Backlund/Frolik.  Neal almost certainly is penciled in on the top line and I agree that Ryan probably isn't starting on the fourth line.  

So for me the top 3 lines start:

Gaudrea-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Lindholm-OPEN

Frolik (LW/RW)-Backlund-OPEN

From there you need to decide whether Ryan should be on the Lindholm or Backlund line.  You also need to decide who fits in the final spot (Bennett, Jankowski, Brouwer, Czarnik, etc). Then it is just a matter of rounding out the fourth line and the bench.    

That all said, we will see how the rest of the summer goes along with camp.  Jankowski may force them to move Lindholm AND Ryan to the wing.  Mangipane, Foo, or another might force them to make room.  Bennett/Jankowski/another could be moved.  Injuries will happen.  We don't know how the chemistry will turn out.  Etc.  

Fortunately the Flames just got VERY versatile at forward and have a fair number of options.  

Just now, The_People1 said:

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Neal

Bennett - Monahan - Tkachuk

Frolik - Backlund - Ryan

Mangiapane - Jankowski - Hathaway

X: Brouwer, Lazar

Giordano - Brodie

Hanifin - Hamonic

Kulak - Andersson

x: Stone

That is interesting and I like the thought process behind it.  But I don't see it happening.  Lindholm hasn't shown he has the offensive ability to warrant replacing Monahan on the top line.  I don't see that he has those tools in the box.  I also doubt the coach is even remotely considering separating Monahan and Gaudreau (but who knows).  Swap Lindholm/Monahan and I like it though.  Assuming Bennett beats out Jankowski/Czarnik/etc for that LW spot.  

12 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Seems a bit top heavy though with a questionable bottom 6.  Ryan has never been a defensive C, and there is a big lack of experience on the Jankowski line. 

The sense I have is Lindholm is probably going to end up at C. That is probably appropriate as it gives you two defensive centres and is a great starting point for your top 6 lines.  I think the forward pairs (C/W) are Monahan/Gaudreau, Lindholm/Tkachuk, Backlund/Frolik.  Neal almost certainly is penciled in on the top line and I agree that Ryan probably isn't starting on the fourth line.  

So for me the top 3 lines start:

Gaudrea-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Lindholm-OPEN

Frolik (LW/RW)-Backlund-OPEN

From there you need to decide whether Ryan should be on the Lindholm or Backlund line.  You also need to decide who fits in the final spot (Bennett, Jankowski, Brouwer, Czarnik, etc). Then it is just a matter of rounding out the fourth line and the bench.    

That all said, we will see how the rest of the summer goes along with camp.  Jankowski may force them to move Lindholm AND Ryan to the wing.  Mangipane, Foo, or another might force them to make room.  Bennett/Jankowski/another could be moved.  Injuries will happen.  We don't know how the chemistry will turn out.  Etc.  

Fortunately the Flames just got VERY versatile at forward and have a fair number of options.  

Seriously why do you not see Backlund as a #2 C ? with two solid wingers like Tkachuk and Lindholm this line is vastly improved IMO. Plus it allows for Frolik to strengthen another line more geared for a checking role Bennett, Ryan, Frolik. I see it like this so far.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal

Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm

Bennett, Ryan, Frolik

Klimchuk, Jankowski, Czarnik

Lazar, Hathaway

Giordano, Brodie

Hanifin, Hamonic

Kulak, Stone

Andersson

Smith, Rittich

56 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Thanks Kehatch.

Johnny-Monahan-Neal

Bennett-Ryan-Frolik

Mangiapane-Janko-Czarnik

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Kulak-Andersson

Prout

One of many options, but this looks terrific at the moment:

Johnny-Monahan-Lindholm ....(speed, skill, scoring, d-awareness(Lindholm), face-offs, effective pair(JG/SM))

Tkachuk-Janko-Neal ....(skill, scoring, tough, grit, new pair?(MT/MJ))

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik ....(speed, skill, shutdown, scoring, grit, effective pair (MB/MF))

Mangiapane-Ryan-Czarnik ....(speed, skill, scoring, face-offs, new pair?(DR with either AM/AC))

Gawdin, Foo

Injury call-ups: Hathaway, Lazar, Dube, Klimchuk, Gawdin, Ehliz, Lomberg, Shinkaruk

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Kulak-Andersson

Prout

Injury call-ups: Hogstrom, Kylington, Valimaki

Smith-Rittich

Injury call-up: Gillies