redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

1,249 posts in this topic

I’m not sure if Neal will actually sit tomorrow. Yeah he took a late penalty but even if he didn’t I doubt we come back and score 2 in the final 5 mins. 

I don’t like Lomberg and Hathaway in the lineup against a team like Arizona. Yeah both guys can provide a spark, but when was the last time we saw that from Hath? And there’s next to no offence from either guy

#FlamesNHLFlames.png head coach Bill Peters said he hasn’t made a decision on the starting goaltender. Valimaki missed today’s practice with a lower body injury. And asked Peters about if they’ve considered sitting James Neal: “I haven’t. We think he’s trending in the right direction.”

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

#FlamesNHLFlames.png head coach Bill Peters said he hasn’t made a decision on the starting goaltender. Valimaki missed today’s practice with a lower body injury. And asked Peters about if they’ve considered sitting James Neal: “I haven’t. We think he’s trending in the right direction.”

Maybe Kylington gets in?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

#FlamesNHLFlames.png lines and pairings at practice:

Giordano-Brodie

Kylington-Hamonic

Hanifin-Andersson

28 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Maybe Kylington gets in?

See above practice lines.  A good chance this will happen if Valimaki misses the game.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Do you happen to know the reason Monahan got bumped down?  I don't either.  Perhaps it was Tkachuk's lnemates were bobbling things too much and they wanted to get Tkachuk out there with a decent passer.  Backlund's offense has dried up.  Unless he gives it to Tkachuk or Bennett, the shots are center mass.  Neal is being played with a C that has very little creativity.  Ryan is not a bad player, but he's not great at generating shots.  Dube is mostly just getting passes as far as Ryan or he shoots himself.  Fine.  Sounds like a 4th line.  

You want to tap into what makes a finisher a good one?  Play them with a passer.  If you are going to shake up a line by moving Monahan off, play the guy that thrives off good passes. 

There's not much wrong with the top 6, other than Backlund's game has dried up, other than his defensive game.  He;s at his best when he has Frolik with him.  The bottom 6 is hit and miss.  Lots of good players, maybe not in the prime spots yet.  The Vegas game was a sign that when you shut down the top 6, the bottom 6 isn;t going to get it done.  Do we need to play Ryan and Dube with Neal?  Does Czarnik need to play LW?  Is Janko deserving of lessened minutes?  Do we need to play Backlund between Tkachuk and Bennett?      

1) much like every game we trailed in BP was trying to create a spark with anyone. Unlike GG  you can't  piss on wet wood with expectations its going to catch fire.

2) Which Center man do we have that is creative? We have one forward that makes everyone around him better that's Johnny. If Neal is your primary player to get rolling than he needs to be with JG however Mony can not center them based on speed.

Simply fix is either Trade Neal/ let him play through it or acquire another play maker with some speed.

To your last point, lines are designed in pairs. Mony/ JG work, JG/Lindholm work, Benny/ Tkachuk work, Backs/ Fro work, put the pieces together, you will find Neal has actually created a problem not a solution.

16 hours ago, tmac70 said:

1) much like every game we trailed in BP was trying to create a spark with anyone. Unlike GG  you can't  piss on wet wood with expectations its going to catch fire.

2) Which Center man do we have that is creative? We have one forward that makes everyone around him better that's Johnny. If Neal is your primary player to get rolling than he needs to be with JG however Mony can not center them based on speed.

Simply fix is either Trade Neal/ let him play through it or acquire another play maker with some speed.

To your last point, lines are designed in pairs. Mony/ JG work, JG/Lindholm work, Benny/ Tkachuk work, Backs/ Fro work, put the pieces together, you will find Neal has actually created a problem not a solution.

I think you touched on the problems as they exist however I would say Tkachuk is as good a playmaker as Gaudreau. Tkachuk as all the potential to make those around him better and I agree he belongs with Bennett but also Neal as a triggerman on the line. This can easily be done by moving Bennett back to C. BP seems reluctant to do it and IMO it is costing the team scoring and wins. If the opposition as to try and cover all 3 of these forwards it will open up a lot of space for them do be effective with their talents. BP needs to come to this realization and also the realization that Backlund can be better utilized. I know Frolik is out right now but I would like to see this line up for todays game.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm

Tkachuk, Bennett, Neal

Dube, Backlund, Czarnick

Lomberg, Jankowski, Hathaway (see how these 3 look together)

if Valamaki is hurt use Kylington

Giordano, Brodie

Hanifin, Hamonic

Kylington, Andersson

Smith

20 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Neal has done nothing to be promoted. This club is in a top spot with a new coach and new roster. I for one applaud BP for the fact if you are not Playing well you sit. Has no issue with putting the lines in a blender. We just had 2 seasons with a coach that stuck with a broken system and lines ups. Neal needs to be better, last night was the first glimpse of what he is suppose to be, pain in the Hash Rate chippy and engaged. If I am not mistaken Mony got bumped down in the line up and didn’t play much in the 3rd, my kind of coach. If your not going to give me 110% than sit the Blockchain down and I will play those who will regardless of your pay check or name on the back 

You can look at it that way if you like which I think is the wrong way if the coach didn't get the player placements right in the first place. I get were you deal from and you are entitled to your opinion.

11 hours ago, MAC331 said:

You can look at it that way if you like which I think is the wrong way if the coach didn't get the player placements right in the first place. I get were you deal from and you are entitled to your opinion.

The problem with your thinking, MAC is it comes across as knowing better than everyone else, even the coaches, as well as defining “problems” that don’t seem to even exist.  The team overall is playing pretty great even if Neal isn’t scoring much.  In your quest to fix the Neal problem you have no problem ripping apart 2-3 other things that are working terrifically.  Sure, it’s an opinion, but really I just don’t get it.  

6 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

The problem with your thinking, MAC is it comes across as knowing better than everyone else, even the coaches, as well as defining “problems” that don’t seem to even exist.  The team overall is playing pretty great even if Neal isn’t scoring much.  In your quest to fix the Neal problem you have no problem ripping apart 2-3 other things that are working terrifically.  Sure, it’s an opinion, but really I just don’t get it.  

We all want to see our "dream lines" play and do well.

I have no issue with the way Neal is playing right now.

Would like to see him get off the chnide, but it will come no matter where he plays.

Maybe he doesn;t have to play top line, but I would like to see some other options explored.

??=Janko-Neal

Janko is just starting to play really well.  4th line minutes don;t make sense.

Maybe Dube on the LW?  Don't know.  Dube is still doing rookie things.

Perhaps when Frolik gets back we can see a decent line.

JH-Monahan-Lndholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett

Folik-Janko-Neal

Dube-Ryan-Hathaway

The point is that Tkachuk does not have to be used on the main shutdown line.  You can set up Lindy at C and still have a good 2nd line.

Maybe I'm just not high on Backlund right now.  Tkachuk is the dominant player on that line, followed by Bennett.

If you slightly changed the lines, we may be seeing 5 goal games every night.

JH-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett

Frolik-Backlund-Ryan

Dube-Janko-Hathaway/Czarnik

Neither of those are scrubs.    

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

JH-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett

Frolik-Backlund-Ryan

I like these lines, with the 1st power play unit being: 
JH - Lindholm - Monahan (switch Monahan and Lindholm depending on which side the face-off is on)

Like many others, I still wonder how a line of 
Tkachuk - Bennett - Neal 
would do

I wonder when it will be time to move up Janko? I’d like to see him center Tkachuk and Bennett, and have him and Bennet split the draws as need be. 

Then move Backlund back with Frolik (when he comes back) and play him with Dube to hopefully bring him along the same way they did with Tkachuk.

I know this creates a Neal problem, but that might need to be a problem for the GM. 

21 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Is that you Gully?  So you believe he should use players that are expected to play well versus those who are playing well. Your logic is like promoting the bosses kid over the person best suited for the position. Neal hasn't been Neal, when that happens you will see him elevated, seen a quick glimpse last night.

21 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I think you touched on the problems as they exist however I would say Tkachuk is as good a playmaker as Gaudreau. Tkachuk as all the potential to make those around him better and I agree he belongs with Bennett but also Neal as a triggerman on the line. This can easily be done by moving Bennett back to C. BP seems reluctant to do it and IMO it is costing the team scoring and wins. If the opposition as to try and cover all 3 of these forwards it will open up a lot of space for them do be effective with their talents. BP needs to come to this realization and also the realization that Backlund can be better utilized. I know Frolik is out right now but I would like to see this line up for todays game.

Tkachuk, Bennett, Neal

Dube, Backlund, Czarnick

Lomberg, Jankowski, Hathaway (see how these 3 look together)

if Valamaki is hurt use Kylington

Giordano, Brodie

Hanifin, Hamonic

Kylington, Andersson

Smith

Is Chucky good yes, he is best below the opposition goal line. I just believe you can not put any combination of Neal, Monhan, Tkachuk, they would be to slow, other than on a PP. As for centers Lindholm is a better choice than Bennett, if we need to play a speed game you have to have 2 forwards that push the issue. Simply putting an combination of the aforementioned and you have the same issues as LA, bi but slow.

We know Benny/Chucky works, Backs/Fro, JG/Mony, JG/Lindholm, Hanifin/Hamonic, Brodie/Gio, these duos are effective.

I could agree with a JG-LIndholm- Neal trail but it creates issues every where else. Hey if Dube, Czarnuik, got going and were lighting the lamp experimenting would not be an issue.

13 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Such as what ? Provide me an example or two of wat I am ripping apart.

3 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Is Chucky good yes, he is best below the opposition goal line. I just believe you can not put any combination of Neal, Monhan, Tkachuk, they would be to slow, other than on a PP. As for centers Lindholm is a better choice than Bennett, if we need to play a speed game you have to have 2 forwards that push the issue. Simply putting an combination of the aforementioned and you have the same issues as LA, bi but slow.

We know Benny/Chucky works, Backs/Fro, JG/Mony, JG/Lindholm, Hanifin/Hamonic, Brodie/Gio, these duos are effective.

I could agree with a JG-LIndholm- Neal trail but it creates issues every where else. Hey if Dube, Czarnuik, got going and were lighting the lamp experimenting would not be an issue.

I agree somewhat and the thing you touch on which is true in a number of cases is the switching around creating an out of whack somewhere else within the line up.

I have come to like the Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm line for the reasons you mention, additional speed and face options around Monahan.

BP is trying to give the 2nd line the same advantages now with moving Bennett to RW with speed and face off abilities as a previous C. (maybe it will grow on me) Oddly the weak link on that line from a scoring standpoint has become Backlund. Bennett has the speed to cover a lot of ice and for this reason I would at least like to see BP try him between Tkachuk and Neal. Ideally I would like to see this arrangement which as some of your thinking as well.

Tkachuk, Bennett, Neal

Frolik, Backlund, Ryan

Dube, Jankowski, Czarnick

I think this should provide the best arrangement for possible offense and defense with each line.

5 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I agree somewhat and the thing you touch on which is true in a number of cases is the switching around creating an out of whack somewhere else within the line up.

I have come to like the Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm line for the reasons you mention, additional speed and face options around Monahan.

BP is trying to give the 2nd line the same advantages now with moving Bennett to RW with speed and face off abilities as a previous C. (maybe it will grow on me) Oddly the weak link on that line from a scoring standpoint has become Backlund. Bennett has the speed to cover a lot of ice and for this reason I would at least like to see BP try him between Tkachuk and Neal. Ideally I would like to see this arrangement which as some of your thinking as well.

Tkachuk, Bennett, Neal

Frolik, Backlund, Ryan

Dube, Jankowski, Czarnick

I think this should provide the best arrangement for possible offense and defense with each line.

Man i would like to agree with the  Tkachuk Bennett Neal line to scary for me. I can agree 2 guys can drag 1, but 1 guy can't drag 2. We all hated when Benny was the lone guy in on the attack, that combination creates that IMHO

31 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Man i would like to agree with the  Tkachuk Bennett Neal line to scary for me. I can agree 2 guys can drag 1, but 1 guy can't drag 2. We all hated when Benny was the lone guy in on the attack, that combination creates that IMHO

If these two were lesser players I might tend to agree but Tkachuk even as a poor skater knows where he needs to be on the ice. Neal with is experience should as well once he has a feeder. Anyways this is how I see the best use for Neal unless he and Jankowski can gell which could happen

44 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I will give my opinion on Bennett, however unpopulat that is.

Bennett had time at center and never excelled there.

He's not bad in limited use there.  

What I don;t like is his shooting.

Frustrating to watch.

It's the part that's missing the most from his game.

So, while the line may be scary to face, I don't think Bennett has enough of a passing game or sniper ability to make it any better than habing Backlund there.  Gaudreau is better at both.  So that gives you a LW and RW that can shoot, but only a LW that can really pass.  An alternative to that would be to have Lindholm with Tkachuk and Bennett, and let him take 50% of the draws (string side).  Use Neal where he can get chances with JH and Monahan.  JH will not score a ton there, but boy will the others.

On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎25 at 10:00 PM, travel_dude said:

We all want to see our "dream lines" play and do well.

I have no issue with the way Neal is playing right now.

Would like to see him get off the chnide, but it will come no matter where he plays.

Maybe he doesn;t have to play top line, but I would like to see some other options explored.

??=Janko-Neal

Janko is just starting to play really well.  4th line minutes don;t make sense.

Maybe Dube on the LW?  Don't know.  Dube is still doing rookie things.

Perhaps when Frolik gets back we can see a decent line.

JH-Monahan-Lndholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett

Folik-Janko-Neal

Dube-Ryan-Hathaway

The point is that Tkachuk does not have to be used on the main shutdown line.  You can set up Lindy at C and still have a good 2nd line.

Maybe I'm just not high on Backlund right now.  Tkachuk is the dominant player on that line, followed by Bennett.

If you slightly changed the lines, we may be seeing 5 goal games every night.

JH-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett

Frolik-Backlund-Ryan

I know Frolik is injured now but to be honest what does Bennett provide over Frolik on RW with Backlund and Tkachuk ?

If all we want to see is hard work effort rewarded without regard to who is best to play with who and where we will not be at our best. Sure we might get by and win but as the season moves on the team will need to max out it's talent.

I would rather see a line of Bennett, Jankowski and Neal together if everyone thinks the 3M line is fine the way it is.

45 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I know Frolik is injured now but to be honest what does Bennett provide over Frolik on RW with Backlund and Tkachuk ?

If all we want to see is hard work effort rewarded without regard to who is best to play with who and where we will not be at our best. Sure we might get by and win but as the season moves on the team will need to max out it's talent.

I would rather see a line of Bennett, Jankowski and Neal together if everyone thinks the 3M line is fine the way it is.

Bennett is the wild card.  While he's looked good in games, he's not finishing that much.

Neal is not getting set up.

Backlund is not really helping Tkachuk's offense right now.

Is Tkachuk doing well?  That's another story.

Overall, I am happy with the team's effort and results, save for goaltending struggles.

Would love to see Neal used on the top line with an elite passer.

Would love to see Tkachuk on an offensive line.

Would love to see Janko used for more than just 4th line minutes.

The problem with all that is we need a shutdown line.  Consistent.  

Could you get that from Czarnik-Backlund-Frolik or Bennet-Backlund-Frolik?  Would be nice.

If so, you could then load up the top two lines and see what happens.

For a different spin (with some similar pieces), how about:

JH-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Janko-Lindholm

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Dube-Ryan-Hathaway

The way Backlund's offense is today, you might actually get that 2nd line scoring a lot more.  Breakaway speed with Janko and Lindy.  

Backlund may actually be injured (hand issues).  Heard that rumour.  May account for his lack of shot strength.

The top line is a feeding ground for Gaudreau.  So many passing options.  One-timers from the RW.

The 3rd line is as good a shut down line as any.  Bennett doesn't have to worry about scoring as much.

The 4th line is a hard-working line, which is all you should expect with those types of players.  

Czarnik is a good player, but Hathaway has shown more versatility.  Besides, you probably shouldn't have all RHS's on one line, which is how it shakes out.  If you want to bring up a Rychel, he fits better as a 4th liner.  Mangiapane is back, but I don't know he would be that great with Ryan.  Maybe. He's not going to get in unless Dube sits.

42 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Bennett is the wild card.  While he's looked good in games, he's not finishing that much.

Neal is not getting set up.

Backlund is not really helping Tkachuk's offense right now.

Is Tkachuk doing well?  That's another story.

Overall, I am happy with the team's effort and results, save for goaltending struggles.

Would love to see Neal used on the top line with an elite passer.

Would love to see Tkachuk on an offensive line.

Would love to see Janko used for more than just 4th line minutes.

The problem with all that is we need a shutdown line.  Consistent.  

Could you get that from Czarnik-Backlund-Frolik or Bennet-Backlund-Frolik?  Would be nice.

If so, you could then load up the top two lines and see what happens.

For a different spin (with some similar pieces), how about:

JH-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Janko-Lindholm

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Dube-Ryan-Hathaway

The way Backlund's offense is today, you might actually get that 2nd line scoring a lot more.  Breakaway speed with Janko and Lindy.  

Backlund may actually be injured (hand issues).  Heard that rumour.  May account for his lack of shot strength.

The top line is a feeding ground for Gaudreau.  So many passing options.  One-timers from the RW.

The 3rd line is as good a shut down line as any.  Bennett doesn't have to worry about scoring as much.

The 4th line is a hard-working line, which is all you should expect with those types of players.  

Czarnik is a good player, but Hathaway has shown more versatility.  Besides, you probably shouldn't have all RHS's on one line, which is how it shakes out.  If you want to bring up a Rychel, he fits better as a 4th liner.  Mangiapane is back, but I don't know he would be that great with Ryan.  Maybe. He's not going to get in unless Dube sits.

Personally I think Bennett, Backlund and Frolik would be one of the best shutdown line capable of secondary scoring in the NHL. Jankowski is the C I see breaking out this season and he covers a lot of ice. I would put him in between Tkachuk and Neal, he is smart while being a feeder and a scorer. I have come to appreciate Lindholm on the top line to make up for Monahan's lack of speed and Gaudreau's 6 turnovers a game. If this were our top 9 I think we would see consistency set in for us. Our4th line could be a real advantage to exchange certain types of styles in for the opposition we are playing in a given game.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Personally I think Bennett, Backlund and Frolik would be one of the best shutdown line capable of secondary scoring in the NHL. Jankowski is the C I see breaking out this season and he covers a lot of ice. I would put him in between Tkachuk and Neal, he is smart while being a feeder and a scorer. I have come to appreciate Lindholm on the top line to make up for Monahan's lack of speed and Gaudreau's 6 turnovers a game. If this were our top 9 I think we would see consistency set in for us. Our4th line could be a real advantage to exchange certain types of styles in for the opposition we are playing in a given game.

What I have finding is that the top line pair of JH-Monahan doesn't need a strong C just taking half the faceoffs and providing secondary scoring.  When they get shut down, the top 6 tends to as well.  Tkachuk-Janko could be formidable, especially having Lindholm helping him with faceoffs.  The BBF line could be fine.  Just think that Neal could provide that missing spark the top line needs some games.

Maybe the solution is to switch on home and away games.  At home, you can shelter the top line and use Neal there.  On away games, you can use Lindholm to help in 2-way play.

It's all just speculation right now.  BP hasn't really done much to practice with different combos.  He hasn't really defined what it should be, just trots out what has worked.  Bennett brings enough heart and toughness to a line that was already a shutdown line.  He's no better offensively than Frolik.  

One thing to note.  Lindholm and Tkachuk have 9 of their points each via the PP.  Also, both players get the majority of their points at home.

Food for thought.

37 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What I have finding is that the top line pair of JH-Monahan doesn't need a strong C just taking half the faceoffs and providing secondary scoring.  When they get shut down, the top 6 tends to as well.  Tkachuk-Janko could be formidable, especially having Lindholm helping him with faceoffs.  The BBF line could be fine.  Just think that Neal could provide that missing spark the top line needs some games.

Maybe the solution is to switch on home and away games.  At home, you can shelter the top line and use Neal there.  On away games, you can use Lindholm to help in 2-way play.

It's all just speculation right now.  BP hasn't really done much to practice with different combos.  He hasn't really defined what it should be, just trots out what has worked.  Bennett brings enough heart and toughness to a line that was already a shutdown line.  He's no better offensively than Frolik.  

One thing to note.  Lindholm and Tkachuk have 9 of their points each via the PP.  Also, both players get the majority of their points at home.

Food for thought.

I actually have to say Frolik is a better player with respect to putting the puck in the net. Most poster's objections for a Tkachuk, Jankowski, Neal line comes down to the lack of speed to cover off defensively. I say first try it and give them mostly offensive zone starts so they can gain and play a control type game which all of them can do. Play to their strengths. Our defense pairings are not the liability they were like last season which so lend good support for any of our forward line combinations. Backlund just seems out of his element and Neal isn't being placed in a position to maximize his game.

I know we have these let down games at times, but I didn't like the way the team looked against Dallas.

Janko looked more impressive than Ryan.

Backlund and Tkachuk looked invisible, except when they got hemmed in for a long shift.

The top line was missing a spark.

Dube was not effective.

Hathaway was one of the best players.

Defense was mostly solid, while the forwards didn't give them much help.

There needs to be a go-to lineup when the current one isn't working.

This isn't just switching Lindholm and Tkachuk.

It's about having a new look, so that the other team has to adjust to a new style.

We almost did it last night, but after a great shift we followed it with a weak one.

New look:

JH-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Janko-Lindholm

Bennett-Backlund-Czarnik

Dube-Ryan-Hathaway

If Frolik is back, then you get him wih Backlund.  Use this when Janko and Neal look good.  Only use it at home where you can dictate the matchups.  At the worst, you have two fast players per line.  You still have a shutdown line.