redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

1,249 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It would seem that Mangiapane will debut tonight on the Neal/Ryan line.

Czarnik looks to be scratched in favor of Lomberg.

Smith is confirmed.  Supposedly he begged Sigalet for the start against the Kings (so it was said by some analyst).

This should mean that Rittich starts against CBJ.  Hopefully also Minny.  

CHICAGO - The Flames are expected to make a lineup change this evening when they take on the Blackhawks at 5:00 p.m. MT.

Andrew Mangiapane skated alongside Derek Ryan and James Neal at the morning skate, signalling that he will make his season debut with the Flames. The winger, who was recalled earllier this week, has 14 points in 13 games with the Stockton Heat this year.

Check out the full projected lineup for tonight's tilt:

FORWARDS

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Elias Lindholm

Matthew Tkachuk - Mikael Backlund - Sam Bennett

Andrew Mangiapane - Derek Ryan - James Neal

Ryan Lomberg - Mark Jankowski - Garnet Hathaway

DEFENCE

Mark Giordano - TJ Brodie

Noah Hanifin - Travis Hamonic

Oliver Kylington - Rasmus Andersson

GOALTENDER

Mike Smith

Mike Smith

What is the nature of Valimaki's injury ? and Frolik ? anyone heard ?

12 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

What is the nature of Valimaki's injury ? and Frolik ? anyone heard ?

Valimaki - foot; blocked a shot and it swelled up; week to week

Frolik - LBI, though he is due back soon; no idea of the cause

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Valimaki - foot; blocked a shot and it swelled up; week to week

Frolik - LBI, though he is due back soon; no idea of the cause

THX

58 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It would seem that Mangiapane will debut tonight on the Neal/Ryan line.

Czarnik looks to be scratched in favor of Lomberg.

Smith is confirmed.  Supposedly he begged Sigalet for the start against the Kings (so it was said by some analyst).

This should mean that Rittich starts against CBJ.  Hopefully also Minny.  

CHICAGO - The Flames are expected to make a lineup change this evening when they take on the Blackhawks at 5:00 p.m. MT.

Andrew Mangiapane skated alongside Derek Ryan and James Neal at the morning skate, signalling that he will make his season debut with the Flames. The winger, who was recalled earllier this week, has 14 points in 13 games with the Stockton Heat this year.

Check out the full projected lineup for tonight's tilt:

FORWARDS

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Elias Lindholm

Matthew Tkachuk - Mikael Backlund - Sam Bennett

Andrew Mangiapane - Derek Ryan - James Neal

Ryan Lomberg - Mark Jankowski - Garnet Hathaway

DEFENCE

Mark Giordano - TJ Brodie

Noah Hanifin - Travis Hamonic

Oliver Kylington - Rasmus Andersson

GOALTENDER

Mike Smith

Mike Smith

I guess no one should complain as this is proper use for Mangiapane. Be good to see how he does. I still don't like Ryan playing higher up than Jankowski .

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I guess no one should complain as this is proper use for Mangiapane. Be good to see how he does. I still don't like Ryan playing higher up than Jankowski .

I have to agree.  They will probably double shift JH on the 4th line with Janko and Hathaway, though I would prefer they just play Janko on the 3rd line and double shift JH there.  JH-Janko-Neal > JH-Janko-Hathaway

Not sure I'm confident with Smith in nets tonight.

Only once this season has he managed a win in two straight starts.

The only saving grace is that the Hawks and Kings had B2B games.

Thinking Mike Smith is back to form is folly.

He's played two good games against non-playoff teams.

Just me, but I would double up Rittich this week and play him against the Oiler on the weekend (2nd of B2B for us):

@CHI - Smith

@CBJ - Rittich

Vs MIN - Rittich

Vs NAS - Smith

@EDM - Rittich

Well at The Same time Td you gotta Give him another shot Eventually see if he is Back on Track Cause if This team can get Smith back on track then there even more lethal then they already are

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Just me, but I would double up Rittich this week and play him against the Oiler on the weekend (2nd of B2B for us):

@CHI - Smith

@CBJ - Rittich

Vs MIN - Rittich

Vs NAS - Smith

@EDM - Rittich

I definitely agree with your proposed starting goaltenders for the next 5 games.

Unless Rittich's play drops off, or Smith becomes an impenetrable wall, I wouldn't mind seeing a 2/1 split for the remainder of the season.

55 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Well at The Same time Td you gotta Give him another shot Eventually see if he is Back on Track Cause if This team can get Smith back on track then there even more lethal then they already are

He's getting a shot before he's proven otherwise.

Getting a win against ARI and LA didn;t really prove anything.

He looked good, but squeakey goals are what did him in before.

He almost cost us the game against LA from overhandling the puck and a leaky goal.

There is no room for error.

Let's see how he does before we think he's back on track.

The other teams in the Pacific that are winning are going with hot goalies.

Yeah but TD we are First so we arnt desperate either if we were lower in the standing i probably wouldnt be talking like this

I really liked Mangiapane last night.  I thought him and Neal looked really good together.  Its too bad that line didn't score.  One game is to early, but if he can play like that every night then you might finally have a line mate that can get Neal back on track.  

25 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I really liked Mangiapane last night.  I thought him and Neal looked really good together.  Its too bad that line didn't score.  One game is to early, but if he can play like that every night then you might finally have a line mate that can get Neal back on track.  

They did everything but score.  I read where Neal had something like 17-3 shot attempts for/against.  That seems to imply they controlled the play when he was on the ice.  Mangiapane had several point-blank chances, one was a spectacular save, while the other was square on the post.  It is only one game, but he looked better than pre-season, where I felt he was too tentative due to recovery from his injury.

Notes from today's practice:

#FlamesNHLFlames.png lines and pairings at practice:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett

Mangiapane-Ryan-Neal

Czarnik-Jankowski-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Kylington/Prout-Andersson

Rittich (in starter’s net)

Smith

Given it’s the Fathers trip, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Rittich start and Czarnik draw in. Could be reading into things a bit too much but I think Peters gets that it’s a big deal for guys to get to play a game in front of their dad

37 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Given it’s the Fathers trip, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Rittich start and Czarnik draw in. Could be reading into things a bit too much but I think Peters gets that it’s a big deal for guys to get to play a game in front of their dad

I think it's more about who he feels plays a certain way against certain teams.

Rittich has shown to be good against a high-speed lethal offense.

COL. EDM, WPG, VGK, BUF

Smith ahas shown to be good in games against teams you can defend better against.

LA, CHI, ARI, BOS

Czarnik is a better all-round player than Lomberg.

Lomberg has one part that is good; relentless forechecking/hitting.

Czarnik has a better toolbox.

Not sure what happened with Frolik, as he was getting ready to draw back in.  Was a possible for Friday's tilt but something must have happened.  Still on IR.  Once he comes back in, he will take out the place of Czarnik or Hathaway, unless Mangiapane fails to impress in his next start(s).

So, the message is that Prout and Czarnik are back in.  Prout takes either Kylington's spot or Ras's spot.  While Prout is a RHS, it makes more sense to keep the more veteran rookie Ras in and sit Kylington.  

From BP regarding Mangiapane:

“I thought he was good (in Chicago). I thought he was really good,” said Flames head coach Bill Peters of Mangiapane, who now has 11 nights of NHL know-how after logging his season debut at United Center. “I thought he was really tenacious, worked really hard, responsible away from the puck, gave our team a little more additional pace …

“He’s a guy with lots of pedigree as an offensive player. The past two years in the American League has allowed him to learn the game away from the puck. It looks like he’s an NHLer to me.”

About the hit post:

“Off the bench, the angle I was on, I thought it was in. It hit the inside of the post and out the other side,” Peters said. “He’s going to score. He’s going to score lots at the NHL level. It’ll come. Just keep playing the right way.”

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It also looks like Prout might play as well. Even though I feel like Prout would be a downgrade over either Ras or Kylington, it's a class move to have him play on the fathers trip as well, and I respect that a lot. How many fathers trips have we done where there's been the extra(s) who never played a game. While I'm sure the parents understand it's more a business move, it still kind of sucks to get there and not see your kid play. So with that in mind, I wouldn't mind seeing Prout play the Blue Jackets game (even if it is only 5-8 minutes while Brodie and Hamonic pick up a few extra shifts each). Aand I really feel Rittich and Czarnik should be drawing in so those ones are ones I strongly agree with.

25 minutes ago, Khrox said:

It also looks like Prout might play as well. Even though I feel like Prout would be a downgrade over either Ras or Kylington, it's a class move to have him play on the fathers trip as well, and I respect that a lot. How many fathers trips have we done where there's been the extra(s) who never played a game. While I'm sure the parents understand it's more a business move, it still kind of sucks to get there and not see your kid play. So with that in mind, I wouldn't mind seeing Prout play the Blue Jackets game (even if it is only 5-8 minutes while Brodie and Hamonic pick up a few extra shifts each). Aand I really feel Rittich and Czarnik should be drawing in so those ones are ones I strongly agree with.

I don't think it really has anything to do with that, but it's a nice thought.

Prout was in Stockton to get back in game shape.

BP refers to him as always being ready and praiised him for his practices.

He was going to play at some point soon.

CBJ is a bit of a heavy team, so they may need someone to step up.

Czarnik has more speed and game sense that Lomberg.

For as good as Kylington was in his limited minutes, he's still a rookie.

Speed is nice, but you need a guy that can hammer players off the puck.

And we don;t need Ras having to fight someone because someone gets a dirty shot.

The fact that BP hasn;t named the starter implies that the choice is tough.

Play a tecnical guy or a battler.

It's not just one game, it's the next 4 BP is thinking about.

Rittich, Smith, Rittich, Smith or Rittich, Rittich, Smith, Rittich.

Or even Rittich, Smith, Smith, Rittich

It has to be the right choice for the right team.

16 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I think both Kylington and Lomberg have struggled, particularly in the Chicago game. 

Lomberg reminds me of what Hathaway was like a couple years ago. A tasmanian devil type player no scared to go into the corners and hit but not really accomplishing much. That being said Hathaway has seemed to have grown his game to a more rounded style, so thats not saying Lomberg cant do the same.

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

I think both Kylington and Lomberg have struggled, particularly in the Chicago game. 

One comes out, the other stays in.  Hathaway out.

Lomberg and Czarnik to be wings for Janko.  :unsure:

Prout steps in for Kylington.

6 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Told Ya td to Give Smith Time :P

I'm waiting for him to do the same against a tough team, not 3 of the worst in the West.

He's done really well regardless.

Just need to see him clean up against playoff bound teams.