redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

1,416 posts in this topic

It's getting more difficult to get a handle on starting lineups for the Flames.

Now they are saying Lomberg and Kylington will sit.

Hathaway may have been maintenance after the fight/fall.

Now appears to be back in.

Rittich names probable starter as he was in the starter net this morning.

As close to the perfect lineup you can get considering the injuries to Frolik and Valimaki.

Every D-man has a minimum of 20 NHL: games.

Lomberg out in favor of Czarnik.

Mangiapane playing top 9 minutes after a great first game.

Goalie is fresh and wanting to battle for starter role.

As much as chicago isnt high up there they are a very good team that he could of very easily gotten sunk on if he had not of played alot better

1 minute ago, The_Snowbear said:

As much as chicago isnt high up there they are a very good team that he could of very easily gotten sunk on if he had not of played alot better

It doesn't matter.

He did what he needed to do.

He had little work except for the breakaways and scorpion save, which he had to because he was on his belly.

He bailed out the team that bailed him out by scoring 3 goals.

I'm not saying Smith is playing bad.  On the contrary.

What I am saying is that he hasn't faced tough teams this last stretch.

CHI is last in PP%.

LA is last in the NHL, or was at the time.

Two of the three games were complete domination by the Flames.

The Hawks were owned by the Flames for most of the first two periods.

Doing the same against a team like CBJ or TBL or WAS or WPG is a different kettle of fish.

23 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Given it’s the Fathers trip, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Rittich start and Czarnik draw in. Could be reading into things a bit too much but I think Peters gets that it’s a big deal for guys to get to play a game in front of their dad

Props for recognizing the human BP side.  Until it was mentioned, I thought it was based on performance.

David Rittich confirmed as starter tonight in Columbus. Coach Peters says he wanted everyone to get a chance to play on the team’s fathers trip.

A little video I saw earlier that I found hilarious. Just the look Matthews and Laine give eachother after Tkachuks answer (this was pre-draft)

2 people like this

12 hours ago, Squilliam89 said:

Hathaway got banged up in the Chicago game fighting Manning, he fell on his shoulder so maybe thats why

That was a cheap takedown by Manning.  

Shannon thinks Backlund could be out a while... sucks but injuries happen to everyone.

Would he interesting to see what happens to the lines. Would have to think Lindholm becomes utilized as the 2nd line C

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Frolik

Czarnik-Ryan-Hathaway

Maybe even Dube gets called up again

9 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Shannon thinks Backlund could be out a while... sucks but injuries happen to everyone.

Would he interesting to see what happens to the lines. Would have to think Lindholm becomes utilized as the 2nd line C

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Frolik

Czarnik-Ryan-Hathaway

Maybe even Dube gets called up again

I wouldn't mess with that first lie magic now, that would be a mistake. Time to graduate Jankowski and make a few other moves.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm

Tkachuk, Jankowski, Neal

Bennett, Ryan, Frolik (if ready)

Lomberg, Dube, Hathaway (or if not Dube the dreaded Lazar)

Hopefully Backlund doesn't miss any time.

I wouldn't touch the top line, they are one of the very best lines in hockey, leave it intact.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Jankowski-Neal

Mangiapane-Bennett-Ryan

Czarnik-Quine-Hathaway

Lomberg is most likely getting suspended for taking an instigator in the last minute of the game, it's an automatic suspension and I believe the coach gets fined too. It might be more depending on the timing of him leaving the bench. Still think it was the right thing to do. 

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

I wouldn't touch the top line, they are one of the very best lines in hockey, leave it intact.

Tkachuk-Jankowski-Neal

Mangiapane-Bennett-Ryan

Czarnik-Quine-Hathaway

Lomberg is most likely getting suspended for taking an instigator in the last minute of the game, it's an automatic suspension and I believe the coach gets fined too. It might be more depending on the timing of him leaving the bench. Still think it was the right thing to do. 

Lomberg getting suspended isn;t a big deal to the team.  Every player will open his wallet and give him a share of the money he loses.  And we have at least one other player to step in.  Backlund was in the quiet room, so that doesn't mean he's concussed.  Mandatory, regardless of the the time remaining.  It's observation and precaution.

Saying that, losing Backlund hurts the team for his defensive play.  Nobody there close to that except maybe Janko.  If you are going Janko with Tkachuk, the 3rd line has to be 100% defensive.  Not the best place to use Neal.  

I'll just go with the belief that Backlund is fine.  Have a crazy idea though.  Go back to the MMA line and bump Bennett down 4th line:

JH-Mony-Lindy

Tkachuk-Backlund-Czarnik

Mangiapane-Janko-Neal

Bennett-Ryan-Hathaway

You leave two lines intact and adjust the other two with minor tweaks.  Tkachuk seems to be impacted negatively by Bennett joining the line.  When Frolik comes back, you can just sub him on the the re-formed 3M line.  Bennett is trending more towards Hathaway style than Tkachuk.  

You got to leave the top line alone at this stage.

I like that BP moves players around during the games anyways.  We've seen Lindolm and Monahan both drop down the lines if they are not performing.  The other night Bennet was pretty invisible so he bumped him down.

Neal, Mange and Ryan looked an okay line when Mange first came up.  So if Backs is out I would move Janks to 2nd line along with Czarnik

Given you a 4th line of Hathaway Bennet and one from Stockton.

On defence Kyllington has suprised me,  Not looked out of place and bar the odd rookie mistake he has been solid.  Interesting to see what they do when Valimaki is fit. 

I trust that Rasmus has been told to find himself a permanent home because he looks really good.

8 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Tkachuk-Jankowski-Neal

Mangiapane-Bennett-Ryan

Czarnik-Quine-Hathaway

I might try that for a period or two.  I would also give Ryan a shot at the top 2 C position.  But realistically I don't think we have the C depth to lose Backlund and keep Lindholm on the top line.  

That said, it might be a silver lining.  If the top line stays successful and Lindholm finds a home on a line at C then it makes us that much better going forward.  Regardless, this should open up a spot in the top 6 for Neal.  I really hope he can take advantage and get on a roll.  

I understand the team already has a good crop of players to call up if needed but am I wrong in wanting to call up Rychel for a game or two? A mid-position first rounder that so far hasnt panned out. It would be a good time to see if theres any fire left in him.

9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Tkachuk-Jankowski-Neal

Mangiapane-Bennett-Ryan

Czarnik-Quine-Hathaway

If moving Bennett back to C I would be more inclined to keep him with Tkachuk and move Neal onto RW with them. Mangiapane and Jankowski have played together in the A and I would put Czarnik on RW with them. Have Ryan C the 4th line, this is where he belongs from what I have seen, pick any wingers you want.

39 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I understand the team already has a good crop of players to call up if needed but am I wrong in wanting to call up Rychel for a game or two? A mid-position first rounder that so far hasnt panned out. It would be a good time to see if theres any fire left in him.

Rychel isn't a great skater and that's the biggest thing holding him back at this point. He isn't going to be a point producer at the NHL level, he would have to play similar to Hathaway or Lomberg to be effective.

13 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

If moving Bennett back to C I would be more inclined to keep him with Tkachuk and move Neal onto RW with them. Mangiapane and Jankowski have played together in the A and I would put Czarnik on RW with them. Have Ryan C the 4th line, this is where he belongs from what I have seen, pick any wingers you want.

The great thing about this lineup is that there is options. I would have Jankowski over Bennett just because I think Jankowski creates a bit more offense for his line mates. Bennett is starting to get away from what made him successful early in the season, driving in straight lines, hitting everything, getting pucks on net, and using his line mates.

2 people like this

Injuries present opportunities for others, especially younger players. If the Flames are going to be without Backlund for a period of time and use anyone but Jankowski in that spot its a waste. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

The great thing about this lineup is that there is options. I would have Jankowski over Bennett just because I think Jankowski creates a bit more offense for his line mates. Bennett is starting to get away from what made him successful early in the season, driving in straight lines, hitting everything, getting pucks on net, and using his line mates.

I tend to agree.  I've been getting frustrated watching Bennett lately.  He's trying low percentage things that work in junior and are 10% things in the NHL.  His skating is not crisp.  He's not laying body checks to seperate the puck from the player.  He's taking penalties that look marginal, but are exactly what the refs are focusing on.  He's drawing players to him and not seeing the other players being open.

Frankly, I feel he should go down to the 4th line, assuming Backlund is okay to play.  He's not helping the Tkachuk-Backlund pair.  He's good defensively, but we need that on the 4th line as much as the 2nd line.  The only issue that creates is who fills the 2nd line RW.  Ryan or Frolik is fine.  Moving Ryan there likely means you put Bennett at 4th line C.  You could put Frolik on LW as well.  If Frolik is out, then use Czarnik and Hathaway with him.  It's not a real creative line, but it's hard forechecking and in-your-face defensive play.  Saying this, it looks like Frolik suffered a setback, and hasn't skated this week at all.

With Backlund:

JH-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Ryan

Mangiapane-Janko-Neal

Czarnik-Bennett-Hathaway

Without Backlund:

JH-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Janko-Neal

Mangiapane-Ryan-Czarnik

Quine-Bennett-Hathaway

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Bennett needs to get away from that straight kamikaze style so happy to see the change. Again I don't think they are doing him any favors having him play RW, mistake IMO. You need a very good skater that knows how to play good D as well with Tkachuk and especially if you add Neal to such a line. Call it a hunch but I think a line of Tkachuk, Bennett and Neal would an incredible force for the opposition to deal with.

Just wanted to add these three updates:

Calgary’s Mark Giordano will have a hearing today for kneeing Minnesota’s Mikko Koivu.

In addition, Calgary’s Ryan Lomberg will have a hearing today for a legal line change for the purpose of starting an altercation.

Calgary’s Ryan Lomberg has been automatically suspended for one game and Coach Bill Peters has been fined $10,000 under rule 46.22, Instigating in the Final Five Minutes of Regulation.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Just wanted to add these three updates:

Calgary’s Mark Giordano will have a hearing today for kneeing Minnesota’s Mikko Koivu.

In addition, Calgary’s Ryan Lomberg will have a hearing today for a legal line change for the purpose of starting an altercation.

Calgary’s Ryan Lomberg has been automatically suspended for one game and Coach Bill Peters has been fined $10,000 under rule 46.22, Instigating in the Final Five Minutes of Regulation.

I would love to see the replay that shows his skates on the ice at the time of contact, because from what I saw he was clearly leaving his feet to make that hit.

I have yet to see an angle too that shows his feet on the ground at contact.

But for me why should that matter? Even if his feet are on the ground he is still driving his force upwards towards the head which IMO is very dangerous and leads to a high probability of concussions. NHL should want that type of action out of their game so who cares is if he feet are on the ground if he is sending his body weight upwards and through the head area. 

I understand it may not warrant a game suspension but it warrants a fine at the very least. but for the NHL to come out and actually call it a clean hit is flat out ridiculous but i'm not surprised because its clear the NHL could care less about concussions and head injuries to their players anyway. Unless you are one of the top players in the game your a pawn.  

Can't complain about either Gio or Lomberg though IMO. What Gio did is a pretty clear knee on knee that needs to be looked at and Lomberg broke some pretty clear rules as well. I don't mind what Lomberg did, not do I care if they suspend him but you have to. 

NHL Player Safety continues to be a joke. 100% chance they'll suspend Gio IMO, although I completely disagree with it. Dumba hit was a hit to the head and in this day,you can't do that. But hey as we saw last night the refs were on a roll and it must have carried over into player safety this morning

Frelling speechless that Gio gets called up for this.  Lomberg we all knew what he would get.

Where was the supplemental on the douchebag that elbows Hammy's head off.

Oh wait, I get it,  the Flames are doing well in the standings.  Can't have that time to play the Wideman card.  NHL safety are a bunch on Bankers.

Reffing continues to be inconsistent.

Why are they not enforcing the EN infractions that prevent an EN goal?

Backlund dumped, should be an automatic goal.

Game over.

Anything after that is poor sportsmanship.

Instead, they let it go and Dumba takes a last minute shot at a player attempting to clear the puck and creates another EN scoring chance.

End result of Ref inaction:

• missed automatic goal
  • check to the head
  • suspendable instigation because of when the liiegal hit to the head occured

NHL needs to reel these refs back in.  They are putting players in harnms way because they don't know how to enfore rules coirrectly and consistently.  You lay a dirty hit on a player and the refs let it go, causing the players to take it into their own hands.  Creating another injury.  

Clean up the dirty hits.  Everyone likes the big body checks, but the Adam Oates hits don't belong in the game and supposedly have been removed, except they are not called all the time and NHL DPS rarely gets it right, from a playyer safety perspective.