redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

1,293 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, rocketdoctor said:

Frelling speechless that Gio gets called up for this.  Lomberg we all knew what he would get.

Where was the supplemental on the douchebag that elbows Hammy's head off.

Oh wait, I get it,  the Flames are doing well in the standings.  Can't have that time to play the Wideman card.  NHL safety are a bunch on Bankers.

It seems that way doesn't it.  Can't have a small market team that much ahead of others.  League parity is all about penalizing the marginal dirty stuff and letting go the blatant stuff, as long as the blatant stuff is a team low in the standings.

Don't get me wrong Gio's knee to Koivu is not pretty sdight but it surely does not warrent a a supplemental hearing when all this other stuff to the head and braking of fingers goes totally unpunished.  

The ref had full view and gave it a 2 minute penalty.  Been anymore it would have been penalised as such.

So ranting and livid right now

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Reffing continues to be inconsistent.

Why are they not enforcing the EN infractions that prevent an EN goal?

Backlund dumped, should be an automatic goal.

Game over.

Anything after that is poor sportsmanship.

Instead, they let it go and Dumba takes a last minute shot at a player attempting to clear the puck and creates another EN scoring chance.

End result of Ref inaction:

• missed automatic goal
  • check to the head
  • suspendable instigation because of when the liiegal hit to the head occured

NHL needs to reel these refs back in.  They are putting players in harnms way because they don't know how to enfore rules coirrectly and consistently.  You lay a dirty hit on a player and the refs let it go, causing the players to take it into their own hands.  Creating another injury.  

Clean up the dirty hits.  Everyone likes the big body checks, but the Adam Oates hits don't belong in the game and supposedly have been removed, except they are not called all the time and NHL DPS rarely gets it right, from a playyer safety perspective.

Do it like in football, any hit to the head is an infraction and if the refs don’t call it the player automatically gets suspended at least one game. 

Ive heard ex players say the game moves fast but can still change where you make contact. Others have said the opposite. But if they discipline consistently then players will eventually get the memo or constantly be suspended.

anytime there is an elbow or anything like that, it’s a clear shot to the head. Elbow pads can be weapons.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, rocketdoctor said:

Don't get me wrong Gio's knee to Koivu is not pretty sdight but it surely does not warrent a a supplemental hearing when all this other stuff to the head and braking of fingers goes totally unpunished.  

The ref had full view and gave it a 2 minute penalty.  Been anymore it would have been penalised as such.

So ranting and livid right now

Kunitz breaks Hamonic's nose with an elbow to the head.

No review.  No suplemental discipline.

Backlund shoulder to the head in an attempt to stop an EN goal with seconds remaining in a lost game.

No supplemental discipline.

Gio trips Koivu, marginal knee contact.

Hearing called.

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I have yet to see an angle too that shows his feet on the ground at contact.

But for me why should that matter? Even if his feet are on the ground he is still driving his force upwards towards the head which IMO is very dangerous and leads to a high probability of concussions. NHL should want that type of action out of their game so who cares is if he feet are on the ground if he is sending his body weight upwards and through the head area. 

I understand it may not warrant a game suspension but it warrants a fine at the very least. but for the NHL to come out and actually call it a clean hit is flat out ridiculous but i'm not surprised because its clear the NHL could care less about concussions and head injuries to their players anyway. Unless you are one of the top players in the game your a pawn.  

Can't complain about either Gio or Lomberg though IMO. What Gio did is a pretty clear knee on knee that needs to be looked at and Lomberg broke some pretty clear rules as well. I don't mind what Lomberg did, not do I care if they suspend him but you have to. 

What Lomberg did was a direct result of the officials not doing their job, Lomberg will getting suspended for it and deservedly so, but if the refs actually called the game correctly he would have never had to take matters into his own hands.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

What Lomberg did was a direct result of the officials not doing their job, Lomberg will getting suspended for it and deservedly so, but if the refs actually called the game correctly he would have never had to take matters into his own hands.

Thats not to mention that if they called the play where the Flames could have scored an EN goal, it would be 3-0 by the time Dumba hits Backlund. That play probably doesn’t happen after an EN goal. 

I don't mind Giordano getting a phone hearing. He needs to stop reflexively putting his leg out when he is beat. 

I don't mind Lomberg getting a hearing and a suspension. It's pretty clear he broke the rules. The NHL has to respond. 

I am not as bent out of shape as some that there is no discipline on the hit. We get way to hung up micro assessing these hits that happen very quickly. I am all for getting rid of dirty hits that hit players in venerable positions or that are clearly too high. But this was a pretty standard hit to the midsection. Backlund's head was down so it caught some of the blow, but I don't see what Dumba could have done to prevent this short of just not throwing a hit. 

I do take issue with the officiating. Backlund was tripped, Flames goal, game done. End of story. The refs saw it and chose not to call it. They should be as accountable as anyone. 

I would call up Quine, he has plenty of NHL experience, he can skate, and is doing well in Stockton.

22 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I would call up Quine, he has plenty of NHL experience, he can skate, and is doing well in Stockton.

He would be my first choice.  Can play C.

If we are going to have a player like Lomberg playing every game, I would prefer a NHL talent level, not just a guy that can skate.

Send down Lomberg or just stop playing him nightly.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I tend to agree.  I've been getting frustrated watching Bennett lately.  He's trying low percentage things that work in junior and are 10% things in the NHL.  His skating is not crisp.  He's not laying body checks to seperate the puck from the player.  He's taking penalties that look marginal, but are exactly what the refs are focusing on.  He's drawing players to him and not seeing the other players being open.

Frankly, I feel he should go down to the 4th line, assuming Backlund is okay to play.  He's not helping the Tkachuk-Backlund pair.  He's good defensively, but we need that on the 4th line as much as the 2nd line.  The only issue that creates is who fills the 2nd line RW.  Ryan or Frolik is fine.  Moving Ryan there likely means you put Bennett at 4th line C.  You could put Frolik on LW as well.  If Frolik is out, then use Czarnik and Hathaway with him.  It's not a real creative line, but it's hard forechecking and in-your-face defensive play.  Saying this, it looks like Frolik suffered a setback, and hasn't skated this week at all.

With Backlund:

JH-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Ryan

Mangiapane-Janko-Neal

Czarnik-Bennett-Hathaway

Without Backlund:

JH-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Janko-Neal

Mangiapane-Ryan-Czarnik

Quine-Bennett-Hathaway

Not sure about the Bennett move yet, but overall I like both of your proposed scenarios.  If Backlund is out it's time to try Tkachuk-Jankowski-Neal.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It seems that way doesn't it.  Can't have a small market team that much ahead of others.  League parity is all about penalizing the marginal dirty stuff and letting go the blatant stuff, as long as the blatant stuff is a team low in the standings.

Absolutely no supplemental for the Hamonic headshot, and now the Backlund headshot is unbelievable.  There should be some means for the player/team/fans to address these type of grievances.

2 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Not sure about the Bennett move yet, but overall I like both of your proposed scenarios.  If Backlund is out it's time to try Tkachuk-Jankowski-Neal.

I was thinking that Janko could help turn the line into a more offensive line, so Neal makes sense.  

The 4th line has to become more of a shutdown line, but they could split time with the 3rd line.

Janko is more likely to jump up over Ryan, even if they keep Bennett there.  He's defensively responsible, and might actually be able to hit the net with some of Tkachuk's passes.  His speed, size and reach gives him a leg up on some of the other options.  Would see a healthy dose of McDavid.  Might actually be able to catch him.

They are saying a callup will happen today.  They have 22 healthy bodies right now and Backlund.  May have to place Valimaki on IR, as Backlund could be 7 days or longer or just the minimum 3 days.  You don't want to put him on IR if it's only 3 days, since you lose him for 7.  They also can't do anything with Lomberg until his suspension is served.  He counts as a roster spot.  Gio's issue is more perplexing.  We don't have a spare other than Prout, if he misses any games.  

During the 2015 playoffs I remember a Canucks player instigating a fight with under 5 mins ago, and Dorsett jumping  Engelland while he was already tangled up with another player.

No suspensions were given out then

1 person likes this

The league wants to keep teams as close together in the standings as possible. I wouldnt be surprised if a call came down from bettmans office to keep gio out against the oilers for that reason.

This is getting sickening, especially the last two years. How can they give gio this kind of punishment, but not even bat an eye on the kunitz elbow? Just despicable.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, kehatch said:

Why would we call up anyone but Dube? He plays C and is already familiar with the team. 

The question is why he was sent down in the first place.

He was told to do certain things there.

Has he accomplished that yet?

How about this for next game?

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Neal
Tkachuk-Monahan-Bennett
Mangiapane-Ryan-Quine
Czarnik-Jankowski-Hathaway

Hanifin-Brodie
Kylington-Hamonic
Stone-Andersson

1 hour ago, Amander said:

How about this for next game?

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Neal
Tkachuk-Monahan-Bennett
Mangiapane-Ryan-Quine

Hanifin-Brodie
Kylington-Hamonic
Stone-Andersson

Is Stone back from the IR?

*edit - The dept of player safety is an absolute  *blank blank blank* joke.

15 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Is Stone back from the IR?

*edit - The dept of player safety is an absolute  *blank blank blank* joke.

Oh right! I forgot about that. My bad :(

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Neal
Tkachuk-Monahan-Bennett
Mangiapane-Ryan-Quine

Hanifin-Brodie
Kylington-Hamonic
Prout-Andersson

Yikes that D core..