redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

1,249 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

The league wants to keep teams as close together in the standings as possible. I wouldnt be surprised if a call came down from bettmans office to keep gio out against the oilers for that reason.

This is getting sickening, especially the last two years. How can they give gio this kind of punishment, but not even bat an eye on the kunitz elbow? Just despicable.

I agree 100% with the notion that the league suspended both Gio and Lomberg for the Oilers game to give the Oilers as much of an upper hand as possible. 

It’s too bad because this really could have been a great game with lots of emotion and Lomberg would have come in handy on the road.

I understand Lomberg getting the automatic game suspension as it is part of the rules but there was absolutely no reason whatsoever to tack an extra game on for doing exactly what every team does when one of their top forwards takes a big hit....

Not trying to downplay the Gio suspension at all as he has been magnificent this season. But the first game against the Oilers he really struggled. We were still able to win with him having an off night and I see no reason we can’t do it again. 

This is weekend is a great chance to showcase our depth. NSH is decimated with injuries too so tomorrow night there’s no excuses. They have Subban, Arvidsson, Turris and Forsberg all hurt...

The Oiler game as long as we keep the McDavid line to 2 or less we will be fine 

2 people like this

9 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Not trying to downplay the Gio suspension at all as he has been magnificent this season. But the first game against the Oilers he really struggled. We were still able to win with him having an off night and I see no reason we can’t do it again. 

This is weekend is a great chance to showcase our depth. NSH is decimated with injuries too so tomorrow night there’s no excuses. They have Subban, Arvidsson, Turris and Forsberg all hurt...

The Oiler game as long as we keep the McDavid line to 2 or less we will be fine 

Yeah the suspensions are bogus but this is a major measuring stick opportunity for this team. These early season adversities build character and help solidify team identity, look at how much more confidence we have in net now for example. 

A back to back against divisional rivals and we're missing key players...it's about time we started seeing more contributions from our 3rd and 4th lines. Seems like a perfect opportunity for guys like James Neal to finally step up

5 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

At least our D won't be this bad!!

6f49b2733486dee99d3a09331c0beca4.png

What is the story on Valimaki ? He has been out for awhile now.

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎07 at 8:41 AM, JTech780 said:

The great thing about this lineup is that there is options. I would have Jankowski over Bennett just because I think Jankowski creates a bit more offense for his line mates. Bennett is starting to get away from what made him successful early in the season, driving in straight lines, hitting everything, getting pucks on net, and using his line mates.

I wouldn't dispute that regarding Bennett but now in the season is when I would really push to see if there is anything offensively. If he is ever going to give us this element it will be by playing with Tkachuk IMO. Should he not get improved results I think we know we have a 3rd line LW good defender type player. Jankowski is coming along nicely IMO he could slot in there but I wouldn't throw him in there just yet.

Calling up Quine makes the most sense. He can slot in nicely as the 4th line center, and he adds speed to the lineup.

26 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I wouldn't dispute that regarding Bennett but now in the season is when I would really push to see if there is anything offensively. If he is ever going to give us this element it will be by playing with Tkachuk IMO. Should he not get improved results I think we know we have a 3rd line LW good defender type player. Jankowski is coming along nicely IMO he could slot in there but I wouldn't throw him in there just yet.

Bennett has been playing g with Tkachuk and it hasn't resulted in much if any offense from Bennett to this point. I think he starting to play frustrated, which isn'tgood.

IF they pull off a victory tonight it would be sweet. IMHO we will need a shutdown type center against NSH and the Coilers. I get that JG-Mony-Lindy have been on fire, but our next  best solution for a shut down guy at center would be Lindy. Ryan is to easily pushed around and is not the solution to for Backs. Much like every coach I don't get the man crush BP has on Ryan.Our forward group can hold its own still, its the D that looks like hell. IMHO Prout best not see anymore than 8 minutes tonight. IF we can stabilize things and not have to double shift anyone, you have to play the one man band in Coiler ville tomorrow. Not sure we have anything left in the tank for that game. The player safety results are a Blockchaining joke as well.

You might look at the reverse of it.

Play to score more goals due to losing your best defensive C and your best D.

Ryan is there because they need to win draws, which he does well.

WIn the draws and keep the puck moving in the other direction.

The top line retains that ability to score at will.  Lindy stays there to win strong side draws.

The defense is going to have a big hit because a lot of the offense was driven by Gio.

Ras steps up, but is far less a risk taker.

He will feel the need to play back more and let Brodie wheel.

I like the lines.

Minimise the disruption.  Keep you 2nd line D together and move Ras up as he has shown he can hadlle playing both sides.

Also like that they start with 2 usual lines.   If needs must I would expect to see some blending during the game.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Bennett has been playing g with Tkachuk and it hasn't resulted in much if any offense from Bennett to this point. I think he starting to play frustrated, which isn'tgood.

A lot of that has to do with being on RW I believe plus having Backlund as the C very little chemistry between the 3. This doesn't mean it doesn't or couldn't between Tkachuk and him shoulder to shoulder. Neal will do his part if delivered the puck in good spots.

The suspensions to Gio and Lomberg make sense. Gio did stick out his leg if without the intent to injure. It is a knee-jerk reaction (no pun intended). Not suspending Dumba is outrageous and shows that the NHL is not serious about injury prevention, or they are just incompetent. When a guy shifts his weight upwards, there is no other way to interpret his behaviour other than he was trying to clock Backlund. That is, there was intent to injure. Anyone who has played the game knows that. So, they suspended a guy for two games when the intent to injure was unclear, and allowed another player with obvious intent to injure unimpeded. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

With a back to back this weekend, it makes sense to have an extra D.

And it's official, Backlund to IR.

He was always going to miss 2 games minimum anways.

This means he's also out for PHI on Wednesday, but would be able to come back for the Minny rematch.

That is assuming he's ready.

7 day minimum.

Just saying.

Valiev is a LHS.  Hope they don;t decide to play Prout both games.  Need Kylington's speed against the Oilers.

Then again, Prout can tune up Kassian or Lucic.

Lucic isn;t much of a threat offensively, so it would be better to take on Nurse or Kassian.

Get the Oilers off their game.

Like last time. 

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Peluso likely up for tomorrow. Prout vs Lucic and Peluso vs Kassian?

Have no space unless they send down a player.

Mangiapane only non-regular forward waiver exempt.

Could send down Kylington, but that makes no sense.

They just called up Valiev, so Prout might not even play.

We beat them without fighting them.

They will be so worried about Tkachuk, it will take them off their game.

We can win low scoring games as well as any Hitch team.

We have better defense, even without Gio.

We have depth beyond the top line.

Just now, travel_dude said:

Have no space unless they send down a player.

Mangiapane only non-regular forward waiver exempt.

Could send down Kylington, but that makes no sense.

They just called up Valiev, so Prout might not even play.

We beat them without fighting them.

They will be so worried about Tkachuk, it will take them off their game.

We can win low scoring games as well as any Hitch team.

We have better defense, even without Gio.

We have depth beyond the top line.

Maybe Pat getting a bit ahead of himself

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Valiev is a LHS.  Hope they don;t decide to play Prout both games.

They had Brodie on the left side. My guess is they move Brodie back to the right side, and likely sit Prout

3 minutes ago, Khrox said:

They had Brodie on the left side. My guess is they move Brodie back to the right side, and likely sit Prout

I would be surprised if they changed the D pairings, especially the Brodie-Andersson pairing, they were great tonight.

Valiev is an insurance policy in case someone got injured tonight, they wouldn't have had time to get someone up from Stockton before tomorrow night's game in Edmonton.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I get the assumption that Kassian will try to take out Tkachuk.

Lucic is nothing but a big hitter these days.

I just don;t see the fit with the roster the way it is.

12 healthy forwards, 1 suspended.

7 healthy D (including Valiev), 1 suspended.

2 healthy goalies.

Another move would be required.

I realize that both Valimaki and Backlund now on IR, but we have 23.

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I guess Pat is on the money.

Lomberg assigned to the AHL.

Funny, I didn;t think you could do that.

A guy is suspended and you move him down and recall someone else to play?

Am I missing something?

This from Pike of FN.

Per CBA: nothing in it forbids a suspended player from being demoted to AHL (if eligible). Lomberg won't be eligible to play NHL games until he serves his NHL suspension, though. #FlamesNHLFlames.png