Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

 

Not really. Why would they want to have to pay Brouwer for 2 more years instead of just eating the cap hit for Bolland for 1 more year? You'd have to toss in a pretty good sweetener for that to make sense as that's a pretty expensive deal for the coyotes to make. 

Doesnt makr a lot of sense for Flames either. If you are a cap team acquiring an LTIR deal doesn't make sense. Limits your flexibility during the season. 

Was just asking. We really need to lose Brouwer some how.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given how many options there are with this roster, I wonder what 3rd line RW looks like. Easy to assume that it’s Frolik’s spot and that may end up being where he fits in. But I wonder if the 3rd line RW doesn’t end up being Czarnik. Peters has mentioned he likes to use pairs and maybe him and Bennett could be a good fit. I’m just not sure that Czarnik will be much of a factor in a 4th line role as he seeks to be an offensive guy, Peters also mentioned when using recalls for example using the player in the role they are suited for, for example Czarnik, use him in a spot where he can score. Frolik will still be effective whether he’s on the Backlund line or 4th line he’s so versatile 

If we have 4 deep lines we can role IMO it doesn’t really matter that Janko and Frolik are on the 4th line.

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Bennett-Ryan-Czarnik

Frolik-Jankowski-Brouwer

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Given how many options there are with this roster, I wonder what 3rd line RW looks like. Easy to assume that it’s Frolik’s spot and that may end up being where he fits in. But I wonder if the 3rd line RW doesn’t end up being Czarnik. Peters has mentioned he likes to use pairs and maybe him and Bennett could be a good fit. I’m just not sure that Czarnik will be much of a factor in a 4th line role as he seeks to be an offensive guy, Peters also mentioned when using recalls for example using the player in the role they are suited for, for example Czarnik, use him in a spot where he can score. Frolik will still be effective whether he’s on the Backlund line or 4th line he’s so versatile 

If we have 4 deep lines we can role IMO it doesn’t really matter that Janko and Frolik are on the 4th line.

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Bennett-Ryan-Czarnik

Frolik-Jankowski-Brouwer

 

 

 

Whst I like about each line is there’s a possible shift disturber on each line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

Whst I like about each line is there’s a possible shift disturber on each line

There are so many possible line combos, it gives us something to talk about all summer haha

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Given how many options there are with this roster, I wonder what 3rd line RW looks like. Easy to assume that it’s Frolik’s spot and that may end up being where he fits in. But I wonder if the 3rd line RW doesn’t end up being Czarnik. Peters has mentioned he likes to use pairs and maybe him and Bennett could be a good fit. I’m just not sure that Czarnik will be much of a factor in a 4th line role as he seeks to be an offensive guy, Peters also mentioned when using recalls for example using the player in the role they are suited for, for example Czarnik, use him in a spot where he can score. Frolik will still be effective whether he’s on the Backlund line or 4th line he’s so versatile 

If we have 4 deep lines we can role IMO it doesn’t really matter that Janko and Frolik are on the 4th line.

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Bennett-Ryan-Czarnik

Frolik-Jankowski-Brouwer

 

 

People seem to be down on Frolik after his last season.  The guy is consistently a 40 point player.

We hope Bennett can become that.  Why would we ever play Frolik below Bennett on the depth chart.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Given how many options there are with this roster, I wonder what 3rd line RW looks like. Easy to assume that it’s Frolik’s spot and that may end up being where he fits in. But I wonder if the 3rd line RW doesn’t end up being Czarnik. Peters has mentioned he likes to use pairs and maybe him and Bennett could be a good fit. I’m just not sure that Czarnik will be much of a factor in a 4th line role as he seeks to be an offensive guy, Peters also mentioned when using recalls for example using the player in the role they are suited for, for example Czarnik, use him in a spot where he can score. Frolik will still be effective whether he’s on the Backlund line or 4th line he’s so versatile 

If we have 4 deep lines we can role IMO it doesn’t really matter that Janko and Frolik are on the 4th line.

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Bennett-Ryan-Czarnik

Frolik-Jankowski-Brouwer

 

 

Two things, I don't ever see using Frolik in this capacity. I would like to see Backlund's line have more offensive upside which means replacing Frolik with Lindholm but also spreading the defensive efforts between lines 2 and 3. We still need Frolik's talents on at least the 3rd line in a position he knows well. TD has mentioned this 4th line of Mangiapane, Jankowski and Czarnik which could have a different kind of energy and certainly some scoring ability. The ideal situation is to have players that can move up and down the lines and still do the job which we are closer to addressing this next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Two things, I don't ever see using Frolik in this capacity. I would like to see Backlund's line have more offensive upside which means replacing Frolik with Lindholm but also spreading the defensive efforts between lines 2 and 3. We still need Frolik's talents on at least the 3rd line in a position he knows well. TD has mentioned this 4th line of Mangiapane, Jankowski and Czarnik which could have a different kind of energy and certainly some scoring ability. The ideal situation is to have players that can move up and down the lines and still do the job which we are closer to addressing this next season.

 

Exactly.  It's not even so much moving guys up and down (a good idea) as it is playing a performing line more minutes.  We've never had more than 2 decent lines in one game.  Backlund's line played to a draw, and there was nobody else to step it up.  Monahan's line shut down.  We saw double shifting of players because of this.  We never saw the 4th line get extra minutes and being a good choice to give them those extra minutes.  AT least not from a scoring perspective.

 

We have the chance to have 4 lines that can put the puck in the net and be a threat.  And you have 4 lines that you can feed minutes to depending on what is happening in the game.  You can actually make decision during the game.  And it's as simple as giving extra minutes to one or more lines.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Exactly.  It's not even so much moving guys up and down (a good idea) as it is playing a performing line more minutes.  We've never had more than 2 decent lines in one game.  Backlund's line played to a draw, and there was nobody else to step it up.  Monahan's line shut down.  We saw double shifting of players because of this.  We never saw the 4th line get extra minutes and being a good choice to give them those extra minutes.  AT least not from a scoring perspective.

 

We have the chance to have 4 lines that can put the puck in the net and be a threat.  And you have 4 lines that you can feed minutes to depending on what is happening in the game.  You can actually make decision during the game.  And it's as simple as giving extra minutes to one or more lines.    

Agreed. What I meant about moving between lines was if injuries happened. If we also have the right spares 13 and 14 our depth starts to line up better. This is why the players I prefer to be considered are Klimchuk and Ehliz for LW the Lazar and Hathaway for RW heading into camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Agreed. What I meant about moving between lines was if injuries happened. If we also have the right spares 13 and 14 our depth starts to line up better. This is why the players I prefer to be considered are Klimchuk and Ehliz for LW the Lazar and Hathaway for RW heading into camp.

 

Sure, that's an option as well.  I wonder if Peters will practice what he preaches and bring up top 6 players from the AHL to replace top 6 injuries.  He's kinda said that you don;t bring up a top prospect having a good AHL season and give them 7 minutes in a game.

 

It will be interesting to see how Peters balances between having 4 good lines and playing those AHL players in the appropriate spot.  Hope that it's based on fit and chemistry.  Nothing wrong with playing Mangiapane or Janko on the 4th line if that line is meant to provide offence, and they get minutes when they are doing so.  Klimchuk is an interesting player.  He can score, but you get from him whatever role you assign him.  Not a game changer, but also not a liability.  Foo is a hard worker and may be better suited to a scoring role; he shoots a ton.

 

Ehliz is still an unknown to me.  I have no idea what his skill level is and would be at the NHL level.  I hope he gets a decent chance since he's only signed to a one year deal.  He has scored at the International level, so there may be something there.

 

I would be more comfortable having Lazar and Hathaway if we didn't have Brouwer.  Neither has shown much more than compete, but you still need those kinds to show the other guys.  Hathaway should not be in the lineup every game, IMHO.  He's a role player.  Lazar offers speed and some grit, but you need to play him with someone else that can finish.  He hasn;t shown much ability to convert chances himself.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Sure, that's an option as well.  I wonder if Peters will practice what he preaches and bring up top 6 players from the AHL to replace top 6 injuries.  He's kinda said that you don;t bring up a top prospect having a good AHL season and give them 7 minutes in a game.

 

It will be interesting to see how Peters balances between having 4 good lines and playing those AHL players in the appropriate spot.  Hope that it's based on fit and chemistry.  Nothing wrong with playing Mangiapane or Janko on the 4th line if that line is meant to provide offence, and they get minutes when they are doing so.  Klimchuk is an interesting player.  He can score, but you get from him whatever role you assign him.  Not a game changer, but also not a liability.  Foo is a hard worker and may be better suited to a scoring role; he shoots a ton.

 

Ehliz is still an unknown to me.  I have no idea what his skill level is and would be at the NHL level.  I hope he gets a decent chance since he's only signed to a one year deal.  He has scored at the International level, so there may be something there.

 

I would be more comfortable having Lazar and Hathaway if we didn't have Brouwer.  Neither has shown much more than compete, but you still need those kinds to show the other guys.  Hathaway should not be in the lineup every game, IMHO.  He's a role player.  Lazar offers speed and some grit, but you need to play him with someone else that can finish.  He hasn;t shown much ability to convert chances himself.  

I don't see it as so much an option as the proper way to structure your depth and strengths.

if Mangiapane, Jankowski and Czarnik are here and an injury happens to say Neal everyone on RW moves up and the spare moves in.

Obviously should Stone and Brouwer be here we will have IMO unwanted excess again. Hathaway cost us nothing and I would trade him and give Lazar another season to prove out. I like to take age into some consideration and with Ehliz he will be 25 and a very sturdy strong player that can skate and compete. I believe he knows how to put the puck in the net but he could also be a physical force we need against the heavier teams in our Division.

Having these levels should allow our best prospects to be developing in the A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d like to see Tkachuk with Bennett and Neal.  We could roll the following:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm: This line has a playmaker in JG, a sniper in SM, and a well rounded threat in EL.

Tkachuk-Bennett-Neal: Bennett has turned into a decent playmaker, as has Tkachuk, and Neal is a pure sniper.  All three can score, and all three can get dirty in the corners.  I would worry a bit about speed with this line, but they have the potential to completely terrorize their opponents.

Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik:  Gives Janko a chance to learn from Backlund, while being a part of a consistent two-way line.  We know what Frolik and Backs can do together.

Czarnik-Ryan-Brouwer:  Assuming Czarnik makes the team, and Brouwer rebounds a bit, this could be a dangerous 4th line that can soak up 12 minutes a night while chipping in offensively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I’d like to see Tkachuk with Bennett and Neal.  We could roll the following:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm: This line has a playmaker in JG, a sniper in SM, and a well rounded threat in EL.

Tkachuk-Bennett-Neal: Bennett has turned into a decent playmaker, as has Tkachuk, and Neal is a pure sniper.  All three can score, and all three can get dirty in the corners.  I would worry a bit about speed with this line, but they have the potential to completely terrorize their opponents.

Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik:  Gives Janko a chance to learn from Backlund, while being a part of a consistent two-way line.  We know what Frolik and Backs can do together.

Czarnik-Ryan-Brouwer:  Assuming Czarnik makes the team, and Brouwer rebounds a bit, this could be a dangerous 4th line that can soak up 12 minutes a night while chipping in offensively.

As far as I'm concerned this just has more players playing out of where they play best so I fail to see how this makes us better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

As far as I'm concerned this just has more players playing out of where they play best so I fail to see how this makes us better.

Aside from shifting Bennett to center and Jankowski to wing, no one is really playing out of their positions from last season.  It's debatable who is better at center between the two, but it's hard to argue that as a pair they were largely ineffective most of the time, with a few good games scattered about.  I think Tkachuk, Neal, and Bennett could compliment each other well, and provide a hard hitting, power line with a lot of potential offense, and I'd like to see it given a try.  Otherwise, the line up I suggested is pretty conservative, keeping a lot of players where they have performed well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, robrob74 said:

 

Whst I like about each line is there’s a possible shift disturber on each line

Oh you mean "high compete" level type player. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Aside from shifting Bennett to center and Jankowski to wing, no one is really playing out of their positions from last season.  It's debatable who is better at center between the two, but it's hard to argue that as a pair they were largely ineffective most of the time, with a few good games scattered about.  I think Tkachuk, Neal, and Bennett could compliment each other well, and provide a hard hitting, power line with a lot of potential offense, and I'd like to see it given a try.  Otherwise, the line up I suggested is pretty conservative, keeping a lot of players where they have performed well.

Sorry but I wouldn't want to see all 3 of those players together and think they better serve the team providing what they do on separate lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Oh you mean "high compete" level type player. LOL

 

Hahaha! Yup! It’s my kind of player. I think some players don’t look like they’re trying even though they are, but I don’t like that in a player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Sorry but I wouldn't want to see all 3 of those players together and think they better serve the team providing what they do on separate lines.

 

I get what you’re saying, but I’ve heard them talk about those three playing on a line on the Fan, and even BT said imagine them on a line together, that Neal could be a guy to help them get to the next level in their development. Just have to see what’s at camp. 

 

We are all dreaming. What if they separated Monahan and Gaudreau? I doubt it... but this roster has so many options and we’d still possibly get production if they switch it up here and there. 

 

Imagine Ned a situation where they want to get into the other team’s faces. How many face washes will there be? It doesn’t have to be set in stone, just something like where there is a situation in a game where the team needs something like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

I get what you’re saying, but I’ve heard them talk about those three playing on a line on the Fan, and even BT said imagine them on a line together, that Neal could be a guy to help them get to the next level in their development. Just have to see what’s at camp. 

 

We are all dreaming. What if they separated Monahan and Gaudreau? I doubt it... but this roster has so many options and we’d still possibly get production if they switch it up here and there. 

 

Imagine Ned a situation where they want to get into the other team’s faces. How many face washes will there be? It doesn’t have to be set in stone, just something like where there is a situation in a game where the team needs something like that. 

Oh I agree with these players people can let their imaginations run wild however I like the lines I have for maximum results. BP will have the task of bringing their complimentary styles together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Sorry but I wouldn't want to see all 3 of those players together and think they better serve the team providing what they do on separate lines.

That's fair enough.  We're all just spit-balling here anyway, since it's impossible to really know how any of the new additions will mesh before they hit the ice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Bennett-Ryan-Lindholm

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik

extras

Brouwer Hathaway Lazar Foo Quine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Bennett-Ryan-Lindholm

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik

extras

Brouwer Hathaway Lazar Foo Quine

 

What do you propose we do with all those extras?  Foo is the only player waiver exempt.  Perhaps Quine.

Anyway, we pick up 3 RHS and still have none in the top 6.  Two of them play on the same line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

What do you propose we do with all those extras?  Foo is the only player waiver exempt.  Perhaps Quine.

Anyway, we pick up 3 RHS and still have none in the top 6.  Two of them play on the same line.

correct

BT was like a teenager with a new credit card. Hopefully we don't pay with prospects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

correct

BT was like a teenager with a new credit card. Hopefully we don't pay with prospects.

 

I agree with the basic look of your lines, but I would swap Lindy and Fro-yo.  Brow-wow and Lazar (or Hathaway) can join the boys in Stockton.

You don't go and sign a guy like Quine to have to send him through waivers.  He's as likely as Lazar to be claimed.

 

Here's an alternative line set, just for fun.

Johnny-Monahan-Tkachuk

Backlund-Lindholm-Neal

Bennett-Ryan-Frolik

Mangiapane-Janko-Czarnik

Ex. Lazar, Quine

Waive Hathaway and Brouwer

 

You get two lines featuring a RHS at C.  Bennett gets a player similar in grinding style, plus Frolik for some speed and chemistry.

You finally get to see Tkachuk explode on offence.  Plus he's really good on keeping the zone.

Backlund can wheel and Neal can deal.  Would expect some decent offence.  You can also line up Neal-Backs-Lindy for strong side draws.

4th line is all about speed and transition.  Mangi and the Czar offer something we've seen little of; and effective 4th line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

 

What do you propose we do with all those extras?  Foo is the only player waiver exempt.  Perhaps Quine.

Anyway, we pick up 3 RHS and still have none in the top 6.  Two of them play on the same line.

Good point about these RHS, another reason I would have Lindholm with Backlund (not so great on the dot). Monahan can handle faceoffs well and has improved each season. Either scenario could work and the versatility within our ranks should be a strength. I just think we will get a uptick in offense from a line of Tkachuk, Backlund and Lindholm. Frolik's numbers and his experience are a good fit with Ryan IMO and Bennett should benefit immensely with these two players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I agree with the basic look of your lines, but I would swap Lindy and Fro-yo.  Brow-wow and Lazar (or Hathaway) can join the boys in Stockton.

You don't go and sign a guy like Quine to have to send him through waivers.  He's as likely as Lazar to be claimed.

 

Here's an alternative line set, just for fun.

Johnny-Monahan-Tkachuk

Backlund-Lindholm-Neal

Bennett-Ryan-Frolik

Mangiapane-Janko-Czarnik

Ex. Lazar, Quine

Waive Hathaway and Brouwer

 

You get two lines featuring a RHS at C.  Bennett gets a player similar in grinding style, plus Frolik for some speed and chemistry.

You finally get to see Tkachuk explode on offence.  Plus he's really good on keeping the zone.

Backlund can wheel and Neal can deal.  Would expect some decent offence.  You can also line up Neal-Backs-Lindy for strong side draws.

4th line is all about speed and transition.  Mangi and the Czar offer something we've seen little of; and effective 4th line.

Was Quine not signed on a two way ? I don't see this player on the team, he starts in Stockton.

Why would you contemplate taking one of the best C in the game and move him to LW ????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...