Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I agree with the basic look of your lines, but I would swap Lindy and Fro-yo.  Brow-wow and Lazar (or Hathaway) can join the boys in Stockton.

You don't go and sign a guy like Quine to have to send him through waivers.  He's as likely as Lazar to be claimed.

 

Better players than Quine are on waivers all the time and you frequently sign players like Quine and then pass them through waivers, see Marek Hrvik. I would have no worries about Quine on waviers, every team has a Quine or something better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

Better players than Quine are on waivers all the time and you frequently sign players like Quine and then pass them through waivers, see Marek Hrvik. I would have no worries about Quine on waviers, every team has a Quine or something better. 

 

I get that and agree.  I just think they got him for a reason.  14th F.  Maybe they send him down, but the cap savings is minimal and actual salary paid is still $400k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's so many exciting options for the first time...in 25 years?

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Bennett-Ryan-Frolik

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk

Bennett-Backlund-Neal

Frolik-Ryan-Lindholm

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Bennett-Lindholm-Ryan

 

Replace Ryan with Jankow and I'm fine. I'm sure Peters' can't wait for training camp to try some combos. There's too many options for the 4th line to even bother at this point. But someone floated Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik and I wouldn't mind seeing that.

 

I'm not at all concerned that we have so may forward options, there's no downside. Those who don't make the cut will go down, if we lose one on waivers so be it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JA_Boomer said:

There's so many exciting options for the first time...in 25 years?

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Bennett-Ryan-Frolik

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk

Bennett-Backlund-Neal

Frolik-Ryan-Lindholm

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Bennett-Lindholm-Ryan

 

Replace Ryan with Jankow and I'm fine. I'm sure Peters' can't wait for training camp to try some combos. There's too many options for the 4th line to even bother at this point. But someone floated Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik and I wouldn't mind seeing that.

 

I'm not at all concerned that we have so may forward options, there's no downside. Those who don't make the cut will go down, if we lose one on waivers so be it.

 

Jankowski's time will come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

I get that and agree.  I just think they got him for a reason.  14th F.  Maybe they send him down, but the cap savings is minimal and actual salary paid is still $400k.

 

There is always a reason and iMO the reason is the AHL. Just like Hrvik you want that experience player that can play in the AHL but can be called up if needed and not be a dear in the headlights. If I were betting, he'll spend most of this season in Stockton where they center depth isn't great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cross16 said:

 

There is always a reason and iMO the reason is the AHL. Just like Hrvik you want that experience player that can play in the AHL but can be called up if needed and not be a dear in the headlights. If I were betting, he'll spend most of this season in Stockton where they center depth isn't great. 

 

Very possible.  He will make $400k in the AHL, so not a big letdown for the player.

Depends what they do with the rest of the roster (Brouwer, Lazar, Hathaway, Mangiapane, Czarnik).

At the minimum, I see Czarnik in the top 12 to start the year.  RW.

That leaves possibly Lazar or Hathaway or Brouwer to play LW.

 

Like everything discussed here, we all have views on who will still be here in October.  I'm of the opinion that BT hasn't finished tweaking the roster yet and there are two moves left with players we already have.  If he's going to go long term with Hanifin, then he does have to do a few things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defence is mostly set. The only question is whether Valimaki and/or Andersson make it over Kulak/Stone 

 

Giordano-Brodie 

Hanifin-Hamonic 

Kulak-Stone 

Prout

 

More interesting are the forward lines. The most probable based on coach and GM interviews:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Frolik-Jankowski-Czarnik

Bennett-Jankowski-Ryan

 

My preference to balance out the lines:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal 

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Ryan

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Hathaway-Jankowski-Czarnik 

 

It would be really great if the players allowed the lines to be:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

Frolik-Backlund-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Bennett-Neal

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik

 

Giordano-Brodie 

Hanifin-Hamonic 

Valimaki-Andersson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Defence is mostly set. The only question is whether Valimaki and/or Andersson make it over Kulak/Stone 

 

Giordano-Brodie 

Hanifin-Hamonic 

Kulak-Stone 

Prout

 

More interesting are the forward lines. The most probable based on coach and GM interviews:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Frolik-Jankowski-Czarnik

Bennett-Ryan-Brouwer

Hathaway, Lazar, Quine

 

My preference to balance out the lines:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal 

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Ryan

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Hathaway-Quine-Czarnik 

 

It would be really great if the players allowed the lines to be:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

Frolik-Backlund-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Bennett-Neal

Mangiapane-Dube-Czarnik

 

Giordano-Brodie 

Hanifin-Hamonic 

Valimaki-Andersson

I think we have now seen every variation possible for rosters and possible set ups. You might want to add a defense pairing of Andersson and Stone in case Kulak is gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Defence is mostly set. The only question is whether Valimaki and/or Andersson make it over Kulak/Stone 

 

Giordano-Brodie 

Hanifin-Hamonic 

Kulak-Stone 

Prout

 

More interesting are the forward lines. The most probable based on coach and GM interviews:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Frolik-Jankowski-Czarnik

Bennett-Ryan-Brouwer

Hathaway, Lazar, Quine

 

My preference to balance out the lines:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal 

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Ryan

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Hathaway-Quine-Czarnik 

 

It would be really great if the players allowed the lines to be:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

Frolik-Backlund-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Bennett-Neal

Mangiapane-Dube-Czarnik

 

Giordano-Brodie 

Hanifin-Hamonic 

Valimaki-Andersson

Kehatch, wth?  Not only throwing Jankowski under the bus but also off the team?  Ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Defence is mostly set. The only question is whether Valimaki and/or Andersson make it over Kulak/Stone 

 

Giordano-Brodie 

Hanifin-Hamonic 

Kulak-Stone 

Prout

 

More interesting are the forward lines. The most probable based on coach and GM interviews:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Frolik-Jankowski-Czarnik

Bennett-Ryan-Brouwer

Hathaway, Lazar, Quine

 

My preference to balance out the lines:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal 

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Ryan

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Hathaway-Quine-Czarnik 

 

It would be really great if the players allowed the lines to be:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

Frolik-Backlund-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Bennett-Neal

Mangiapane-Dube-Czarnik

 

Giordano-Brodie 

Hanifin-Hamonic 

Valimaki-Andersson

Dube may be close, but I think Janko stays at C, over playing Quine or Dube.  I can see where Dube and Mangiapane are fighting it out for 4th line RW duty.  I can see Quine being a 13th F.  I can also see Hathaway losing his spot on the team.  You are probably close with the first bunch, except for the 4th line.  Given the relative value of the players and their positional strengths, it should be Mangiapane/Dube-Janko-Czarnik.    

 

The defense is set, but Stone may be dealt during camp if Valimaki pushes Stone and Kulak to 7th/8th D-men.  There is no way that Andersson sits or plays in the AHL.  Stone would have to play with Andersson if still here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Kehatch, wth?  Not only throwing Jankowski under the bus but also off the team?  Ridiculous.

 

Ha. I didn't even realize I hit submit. Having internet issues at the camp site. Post wasn't finished. Updated now, and Jankowski is still on the roster! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kehatch said:

 

Ha. I didn't even realize I hit submit. Having internet issues at the camp site. Post wasn't finished. Updated now, and Jankowski is still on the roster! 

 

The bigger problem is we have 14 guys that should be in a top 12 lineup.  And guys that should only be 13/14.  Healthy depth.  Many RHS to work with.  Many prospects that would make the team if we turned over players.  Having a Hathaway is nice as an extra.  One of your top earners is an after-thought in most lineups we put together.

We could drop about $9m in salary and still have an awesome lineup.  With extras.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love if the players allow the following lines:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

Ryan may not be the best fit compared to someone like Neal, but he is a decent point producer with speed and face off ability. I think he could be a good fit on this line. 

 

Frolik-Backlund-Lindholm

This is the ultimate shut down line. All three players are good two way players that can put up points while shutting down the other teams top line. Again, we have two face off guys (one LH and one RH) which is great on a shut down line. 

 

Tkachuk-Bennett-Neal

Bennett will need to take a step forward for this to work. But if he does this would be the most obnoxious line in the NHL. Bennett and Tkachuk are good defensive players and the trio would be a serious offensive threat.

 

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik

This is a line with a lot of potential, especially if they are given sheltered minutes. This could give the Flames four lines.

 

Giordano-Brodie 

This one is obvious. If this pair can return to where it left off it will be one of the better ones in the NHL with plenty of two way ability. 

 

Hanifin-Hamonic 

This will depend on chemistry, but if Hanafin takes an expected step forward this could be a formidable second pairing. Again, with good mobility and two way play. 

 

Valimaki-Andersson

Andersson looked great last season and Valimaki is making a push. This could be a strong third pair with a lot of potential. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep trying to imagine the lines and the best possibility for improvement. What I keep noticing is that there are so many people that where unhappy with the way we had finished off the season. Knowing how bad we where and the additions/changes we have made we should be alot better. I give up on predicting the line and just cant wait for the season to start so I can buy my playoff tickets.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kehatch said:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ryan

Frolik-Backlund-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Bennett-Neal

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik

 

 

Giordano-Brodie 

Hanifin-Hamonic 

Valimaki-Andersson

 

I agree completely with the D pairs.  Hamonic is a lot better than what we saw last season.  Pair him with Hanifin makes so much sense, more so than Brodie.  Maybe the waiving of Kulak is to set expectations for the season; kid you are fine, but others have more offensive flair and you need to score to stay in the lineup.

 

I also agree with the 4th line, as that could be something special.  Yeastmode and Czarnik work hard for the ice they get.  Both have shown they can score (AHL at least).  With Bennett I think you need to stick him with the two players that have brought out the most in him; Backs and Frolik.  With Tkachuk, I would consider Lindholm and Ryan.  They don't need shelter.  It should also help Lindholm score more goals.  Finally, I think Neal with Gaudreau as the set up guy just spells goals.  Monahan snipes in close and Neal on the rush.  With those two, JH isn't going to get as many goals, but probably 75 assists.

 

So, here it goes:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal  (have to take advantage of goal scoring with this line; prime starts)

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik  (as close to keeping a 3M line, worst zone starts)

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Ryan  (good defensive line that could exploit Tkachuk's scoring abilities, sheltering not required)

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik  (gets sheltered minutes, but is not a liability)

 

The one option on those lines I think could also work would be swapping Lindholm and Neal.  So that's Tkachuk-Ryan-Neal.  Hmmmmm.

 

It's going to be a long summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

I agree completely with the D pairs.  Hamonic is a lot better than what we saw last season.  Pair him with Hanifin makes so much sense, more so than Brodie.  Maybe the waiving of Kulak is to set expectations for the season; kid you are fine, but others have more offensive flair and you need to score to stay in the lineup.

 

I also agree with the 4th line, as that could be something special.  Yeastmode and Czarnik work hard for the ice they get.  Both have shown they can score (AHL at least).  With Bennett I think you need to stick him with the two players that have brought out the most in him; Backs and Frolik.  With Tkachuk, I would consider Lindholm and Ryan.  They don't need shelter.  It should also help Lindholm score more goals.  Finally, I think Neal with Gaudreau as the set up guy just spells goals.  Monahan snipes in close and Neal on the rush.  With those two, JH isn't going to get as many goals, but probably 75 assists.

 

So, here it goes:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal  (have to take advantage of goal scoring with this line; prime starts)

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik  (as close to keeping a 3M line, worst zone starts)

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Ryan  (good defensive line that could exploit Tkachuk's scoring abilities, sheltering not required)

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik  (gets sheltered minutes, but is not a liability)

 

The one option on those lines I think could also work would be swapping Lindholm and Neal.  So that's Tkachuk-Ryan-Neal.  Hmmmmm.

 

It's going to be a long summer.

I love your line up and I hope Peter give this set up a real test this season. The line up is the most balanced and it gives our team scoring threats.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone seems to have Czarnik pencilled into the 4th line.

Not understanding.

First line in the A would be better than that, no?

First fwd call up?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Everyone seems to have Czarnik pencilled into the 4th line.

Not understanding.

First line in the A would be better than that, no?

First fwd call up?

 

 

I think due to his waiver status that he will be one of the 14F.  Many teams were in on discussions with him, so he would be claimed if waived.

The other thing is the way BT talked about him.  Said they had scouted him for awhile and like the way he plays.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/a-great-fit/c-299385190

 

I don't put a lot of stock in what is said during FA, but the unsaid part seems like they have him penciled in.

Saying that, he still has to win the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I think due to his waiver status that he will be one of the 14F.  Many teams were in on discussions with him, so he would be claimed if waived.

The other thing is the way BT talked about him.  Said they had scouted him for awhile and like the way he plays.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/a-great-fit/c-299385190

 

I don't put a lot of stock in what is said during FA, but the unsaid part seems like they have him penciled in.

Saying that, he still has to win the job.

Oh right, fun with waiver status.

I just think him and Mangia on the wings together equals knocked off the puck easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Oh right, fun with waiver status.

I just think him and Mangia on the wings together equals knocked off the puck easily.

 

Just saying.  I have no idea of the strategy anymore.  They could just dangle him in a trade for all I know, a la Joe Colborne.

What they have said about Czarnik is he is hard on the puck, low center of gravity, IIRC.

In the AHL (yes, I know), Mangiapane is always pretty good in the hard areas.

Based on the available players, I have to wonder who could play better on 4th line LW.  Brouwer, Hathaway, Lazar, Quine, some unnamed player?

 

Obviously, the way I have constructed lines, you need to shelter the 4th line and give favorable zone starts to the top line.  

 

TBH, I think they could draw up about 10 scenarios that could work as well or better.  The real question is when lines are set, how long they will give them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s not forget, Czarnik has a salary not usually given to someone you think might start the year in the AHL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Everyone seems to have Czarnik pencilled into the 4th line.

Not understanding.

First line in the A would be better than that, no?

First fwd call up?

 

If you start thinking along the lines of:

#1=top offensive scoring line

#2=top defensive match-up line

and then:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Ryan, and Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik as two additional skating/scoring/defensive lines that are interchangeable, with minutes pretty much even across all four lines depending on the opponent and game situation, this line-up looks pretty awesome.  If the Jankowski line only gets 8 minutes a night, or Lindholm only 10 minutes a night, then that's a problem unless there is a specific reason to do so.  I think it spreads the wealth around and provides options based on match-ups and who is "going" any given night.  It also allows shuffling people around to concentrate power, or speed, or toughness.... whatever is needed.  If Neal is struggling, put Bennett top line, or Jankowski, or Czarnik, or Lindholm.... lots of options.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Oh right, fun with waiver status.

I just think him and Mangia on the wings together equals knocked off the puck easily.

You can't knock what you can't catch..... they could be lethal against a lot of 4th line opponents?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Everyone seems to have Czarnik pencilled into the 4th line.

Not understanding.

First line in the A would be better than that, no?

First fwd call up?

 

 

He garnered a lot of Ufa interest so he'd likely get claimed on waivers and even if he didn't his salary is above the threshold you can bury on the AHL with full cap relief.  I don't think the flames signed him so he can add a few hundred K to their cap and not play. 

He might not see a ton of

of 5 on 5 time but they can make him a big part of special teams and hope he pops 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cross16 said:

 

He garnered a lot of Ufa interest so he'd likely get claimed on waivers and even if he didn't his salary is above the threshold you can bury on the AHL with full cap relief.  I don't think the flames signed him so he can add a few hundred K to their cap and not play. 

He might not see a ton of

of 5 on 5 time but they can make him a big part of special teams and hope he pops 

Yeah I know, td reminded me.

Now I’m just awaiting subtractions as our fwd ranks, while there are options, it’s confusing for now.

Could lose 2 NHLers right now at fwd and 2 at D with little effect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...