The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

15 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yeah I know, td reminded me.

Now I’m just awaiting subtractions as our fwd ranks, while there are options, it’s confusing for now.

Could lose 2 NHLers right now at fwd and 2 at D with little effect.

I have to agree.  We've got Lazar and Hathaway that don't seem to have spots if you consider Brouwer in the top 12.  That doesn't even take into account Mangiapane or Quine or Foo at FWD.  We also seem to be flush with D.  Hogstrum wasn't signed to only play in the AHL.  Sure, you need to see what he can do, but we sure aren't being smart in signing Euros if they don't get a chance in the NHL.  Nakladl, Pribyl......Most of them go back without getting any real look.

20 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I have to agree.  We've got Lazar and Hathaway that don't seem to have spots if you consider Brouwer in the top 12.  That doesn't even take into account Mangiapane or Quine or Foo at FWD.  We also seem to be flush with D.  Hogstrum wasn't signed to only play in the AHL.  Sure, you need to see what he can do, but we sure aren't being smart in signing Euros if they don't get a chance in the NHL.  Nakladl, Pribyl......Most of them go back without getting any real look.

Hard to read into what BT is thinking with our bottom 5 forwards and bottom 3 defense right now. Keeping all or any of Brouwer, Lazar or Hathaway makes little sense given the players he has brought in. I would expect some moves between now and after camp. As far as the Euros go having them adjust their games in the AHL for a season isn't a bad idea and I think we have a few quality players in this Hogstrom and Ehfin.

I am really warming up to your idea of Mangiapane, Jankowski and Czarnik for our 4th line.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Hard to read into what BT is thinking with our bottom 5 forwards and bottom 3 defense right now. Keeping all or any of Brouwer, Lazar or Hathaway makes little sense given the players he has brought in. I would expect some moves between now and after camp. As far as the Euros go having them adjust their games in the AHL for a season isn't a bad idea and I think we have a few quality players in this Hogstrom and Ehfin.

I am really warming up to your idea of Mangiapane, Jankowski and Czarnik for our 4th line.

With Nakladal, he was fine but they chose to stick him in the AHL because our coach was so smart.

Pribyl never got a healthy chance, due to always being injured, so that's not a knock against anyone.

Cervenka was the only gut that really had a chance, and they thought he was a center.  He was a winger.

Wolf got a game or two.

I just hope that we don't develop a rep of being a team that can't transition players from Europe to NHL.

Hogstrom and Ehliz are two players to consider as more NHL ready players than prospects.  Maybe they turn out to not be anything more than fringe, but that's either poor scouting or you were just signing AHL depth.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

With Nakladal, he was fine but they chose to stick him in the AHL because our coach was so smart.

Pribyl never got a healthy chance, due to always being injured, so that's not a knock against anyone.

Cervenka was the only gut that really had a chance, and they thought he was a center.  He was a winger.

Wolf got a game or two.

I just hope that we don't develop a rep of being a team that can't transition players from Europe to NHL.

Hogstrom and Ehliz are two players to consider as more NHL ready players than prospects.  Maybe they turn out to not be anything more than fringe, but that's either poor scouting or you were just signing AHL depth.

We also had Engelland when Nakladal was here. Pribyl was his own casualty. Cervenka never impressed me. Wolf not NHL material and we had Bollig at the time. I actually think BT and the scouting dept have upped their game with the quality of Hogstrom and Ehliz so we will see. Most of these Europeans are long shots at this stage. We do need some players to fill out Stockton.

Defense pairings with games played in brackets:

2013/2014
Giordano (64) - Brodie (81)
Russell (68) - Wideman (46)
Butler (82) - Smid (56)
Billins (10), Breen (9), Cundari (4), O'Brien (45), and Smith (14) filled in.

2014/2015
Giordano (61) – Brodie (81)
Russell (79) – Wideman (80)
Diaz (56) – Engelland (76)
Kulak (1), Potter (6), Ramage (1), Schlemko (19), Smid (31), and Wotherspoon (1) filled in.

2015/2016
Giordano (82) – Hamilton (82)
Brodie (70) – Wideman (51)
Russell (51) – Engelland (69)
Kulak (8), Nakladal (27), Smid (22), Wotherspoon (11), and Yokipakka (18) filled in.

2016/2017
Giordano (81) – Hamilton (81)
Brodie (82) - Wideman (57) 
Jokipakka (38) – Engelland (81)
Andersson (1), Bartkowski (24), Grossman (3), Kulak (21), Stone (19) and Wotherspoon (4) filled in.

2017/2018
Brodie (73) – Hamonic (74)
Kulak (71) - Stone (82)
Andersson (10) and Bartkowski (18) filled in.

2018/2019 (proposed)
Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Prout
(Personally, I'd like to see Stone traded for draft picks a.s.a.p. and then have Andersson moved up into his spot).

Which season do you feel has/had the best D lineup combination?

4 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

2013/2014
Butler (82) - Smid (56)

2014/2015
Kulak (1), Potter (6), Ramage (1), Schlemko (19), Smid (31), and Wotherspoon (1) filled in.

2015/2016
Kulak (8), Nakladal (27), Smid (22), Wotherspoon (11), and Yokipakka (18) filled in.

2016/2017
Andersson (1), Bartkowski (24), Grossman (3), Kulak (21), Stone (19) and Wotherspoon (4) filled in.

2017/2018
Kulak (71) - Stone (82)

2018/2019 (proposed)
Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Prout
(Personally, I'd like to see Stone traded for draft picks a.s.a.p. and then have Andersson moved up into his spot).

To be honest I would have to say they haven't gotten it right in a long time. LOL

There is a weakness here and there with every season.

This coming season is no given with this group either IMO

What if Brodie and harmonic really are as bad as they played last season ?

What if Giordano really has lost a step or two ?

If Kulak and Andersson are the final pair will they be any good together ?

Stone will be here unless the right deal comes along so who rides the pine ?

Prout is on a one way so how does all this shake out ?

Lots of questions heading into this next season.

6 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

2013/2014
Butler (82) - Smid (56)

2014/2015

2015/2016

2016/2017

2017/2018
Kulak (71) - Stone (82)

2018/2019 (proposed)
Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Prout

Nice little table that you put together there. I actually like our proposed lineup combination for this year because, at this point anyways, nobody seems to be a really weak link. 2013/14 was solid because Russell and Wideman played relatively well if memory serves, but Butler was weak and Smid kept breaking down. 14/15 had Diaz and Engelland. Diaz had some offensive flair, but he and Engelland did not gel. I might have undervalued Engelland, but he is and was quite slow. 16/17 had Yokelpickup and I quite liked the guy, but it was a weak third pairing. I never felt that Hamilton fit this club. 

57 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

2013/2014
Butler (82) - Smid (56)

2014/2015

2015/2016

2016/2017

2017/2018
Kulak (71) - Stone (82)

2018/2019 (proposed)
Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Prout

2014-15 after the Flames acquired Schlemko

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

2014-15 after the Flames acquired Schlemko

I would have liked them to keep Schlemko. He was a good depth #6 guy.

11 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

MAC331,

In your opinion, which season was/is the best?

I would have to say 2015/16 when Wideman had his last decent season playing with Brodie. The pairing of Russell and Engelland was good then and the pay was right.

Peters was on the radio yesterday, and it sounded like this is what he is looking at for the top 6 to start the season:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal

He did say that things could be a bit more fluid if they are down a couple goals, then maybe Neal slides into the top line.

I think this gives you balance. Lindholm can help take some of the defensive load for the top line while giving them a RHS and a player who take right side faceoffs.

Neal makes the 2nd line more dangerous and makes that really tough to play against.

I think there is going to be lots of movement on the bottom 2 lines with whomever is playing the best getting the 3rd line minutes.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Peters was on the radio yesterday, and it sounded like this is what he is looking at for the top 6 to start the season:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal

He did say that things could be a bit more fluid if they are down a couple goals, then maybe Neal slides into the top line.

I think this gives you balance. Lindholm can help take some of the defensive load for the top line while giving them a RHS and a player who take right side faceoffs.

Neal makes the 2nd line more dangerous and makes that really tough to play against.

I think there is going to be lots of movement on the bottom 2 lines with whomever is playing the best getting the 3rd line minutes.

Interesting.  Yes, Lindholm helps the defensive side of the top line, which struggles at times without the puck.  I hope (assuming that line stays) that Lindholm shoots more.  Monahan is a finisher as well, but I like a mix of passer/shooter on that wing.

Tkachuk and Neal on the same line.  They will battle for the dirtiest player title.  Backlund will need to be a little tougher to help contain things after the whistle.  I don't mind this combo.  I don't think Neal adds much defensively to it, but he does know how to score. 

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Tkachuk and Neal on the same line.  They will battle for the dirtiest player title.  Backlund will need to be a little tougher to help contain things after the whistle.  I don't mind this combo.  I don't think Neal adds much defensively to it, but he does know how to score. 

The beauty of that line is that Neal helps create more offense for that line (Tkachuk is good at that as well, and Backlund has shown a knack for that given the opportunity) but Neal doesn't need to be super strong defensively, because Tkachuk and Backs are more than good enough to cover for his mistakes.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal

I guess until they get on the ice and BP can get a better look at how they play together his paper roster is as good as some on here LOL

I hope you are wrong about the 3rd line seeing lots of movement because I am very interested in seeing a consistent line of Bennett, Ryan and Frolik together.

Jankowski may be the only stable part of the 4th line in the early going.

I kind of see it shaking out like this , at least to start ..

This puts Lazar and Kulak in Stockton to start .. i have a good feeling Andersson will win the spot , we have enough depth to "risk" sending Lazar , and Valimaki will start in Stockton even if he forces his way up in short order 

Roster

Left Wing Centre Right Wing
Gaudreau, Johnny
$6,750,000
LW
UFA - 4
Monahan, Sean
$6,375,000
C
UFA - 5
Lindholm, Elias
$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 6
Bennett, Sam
$1,950,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
Backlund, Mikael
$5,350,000
C
NTC
UFA - 6
Frolík, Michael
$4,300,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Tkachuk, Matthew
$925,000
LW
RFA - 1
Jankowski, Mark
$1,675,000
C
RFA - 2
Neal, James
$5,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
Mangiapane, Andrew
$705,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
Ryan, Derek
$3,125,000
C
UFA - 3
Czarnik, Austin
$1,250,000
RW
UFA - 2

Brouwer, Troy
$4,500,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Hathaway, Garnet
$1,100,000
RW
RFA

Left Defense Right Defense Goaltender
Giordano, Mark
$6,750,000
D
NTC
UFA - 4
Brodie, TJ
$4,650,400
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Smith, Mike
$4,250,000
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Hamonic, Travis
$3,857,143
D
UFA - 2
Hanifin, Noah
$3,250,000
D
RFA
Rittich, David
$800,000
RFA - 1
Andersson, Rasmus
$755,833
D
RFA - 2
Stone, Michael
$3,500,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Prout, Dalton
$800,000
D
UFA - 1

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

I kind of see it shaking out like this , at least to start ..

This puts Lazar and Kulak in Stockton to start .. i have a good feeling Andersson will win the spot , we have enough depth to "risk" sending Lazar , and Valimaki will start in Stockton even if he forces his way up in short order 

Roster

Left Wing Centre Right Wing
Gaudreau, Johnny
$6,750,000
LW
UFA - 4
Monahan, Sean
$6,375,000
C
UFA - 5
Lindholm, Elias
$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 6
Bennett, Sam
$1,950,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
Backlund, Mikael
$5,350,000
C
NTC
UFA - 6
Frolík, Michael
$4,300,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Tkachuk, Matthew
$925,000
LW
RFA - 1
Jankowski, Mark
$1,675,000
C
RFA - 2
Neal, James
$5,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
Mangiapane, Andrew
$705,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
Ryan, Derek
$3,125,000
C
UFA - 3
Czarnik, Austin
$1,250,000
RW
UFA - 2

Brouwer, Troy
$4,500,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Hathaway, Garnet
$1,100,000
RW
RFA

Left Defense Right Defense Goaltender
Giordano, Mark
$6,750,000
D
NTC
UFA - 4
Brodie, TJ
$4,650,400
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Smith, Mike
$4,250,000
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Hamonic, Travis
$3,857,143
D
UFA - 2
Hanifin, Noah
$3,250,000
D
RFA
Rittich, David
$800,000
RFA - 1
Andersson, Rasmus
$755,833
D
RFA - 2
Stone, Michael
$3,500,000
D
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Prout, Dalton
$800,000
D
UFA - 1

As good a guess as anyone elses. 

Alright here is my latest forward lines.

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal

Frolik-Bennett-Ryan

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik

I think Bennett deserves another look at center, this time with some real linemates. I also think Bennett is way under rated defensively and having Frolik and Ryan on his wings should make that line very effective defensively, be able to get the puck going in the right direction.

The 4th line should be able to provide a spark offensively when they get a chance.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal

Frolik-Bennett-Ryan

I think Bennett deserves another look at center, this time with some real linemates. I also think Bennett is way under rated defensively and having Frolik and Ryan on his wings should make that line very effective defensively, be able to get the puck going in the right direction.

The 4th line should be able to provide a spark offensively when they get a chance.

I'm fine with that disbursement.  I don;t think you even have to worry about Bennett being forced to play C.  You have the choice of Ryan at C, ending up with Bennett-Ryan-Frolik, which is not a bad thing.  Bennett still gets the quality linemates.  The other thing is that having at least one RHS C line is needed in the NHL.  Yes, you have Lindholm as an option on the top line, but I would prefer a dedicated RHS C.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I'm fine with that disbursement.  I don;t think you even have to worry about Bennett being forced to play C.  You have the choice of Ryan at C, ending up with Bennett-Ryan-Frolik, which is not a bad thing.  Bennett still gets the quality linemates.  The other thing is that having at least one RHS C line is needed in the NHL.  Yes, you have Lindholm as an option on the top line, but I would prefer a dedicated RHS C.

Lindholm is a right hand shot center. The dedicated part is if the coach leaves him at that spot however...

Both the coach and BT are thinking he will be spotted for faceoffs on his strong side. So expect him to see some duty on all lines.

55 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Lindholm is a right hand shot center. The dedicated part is if the coach leaves him at that spot however...

Both the coach and BT are thinking he will be spotted for faceoffs on his strong side. So expect him to see some duty on all lines.

My comment that you underlined wasn;t specifically about Lindholm.  It was in favor of Ryan over Bennett on that 3rd line.  Ryan was 59% and 55% over the last 2 years.  Bennett was 46, 46 and 54 (limited use) over the last 3.  Jank was 48.

I also agree about Lindholm taking strong side faceoffs, wherever he is slotted.  

22 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Neal

Frolik-Bennett-Ryan

Getting Bennett going should be one of the team’s priorities, but focusing on him at C seems WAY down that list.  

21 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think Bennett has played just as well at center as he has at LW. I also think the plan is to have guys taking face-offs on their strong sides as much possible. So even if Bennett is the center on that line, Ryan could still take the face-offs on the right side, same with Lindholm and Czarnik.

45 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think Bennett has played just as well at center as he has at LW. I also think the plan is to have guys taking face-offs on their strong sides as much possible. So even if Bennett is the center on that line, Ryan could still take the face-offs on the right side, same with Lindholm and Czarnik.

Percentage wise, they are quite far off for equivalent draws.  Bennett hasn't been particularly effective at C or LW, so slotting him at C for that reason doesn't make much sense to me.  He got 347 draws in his best offensive year, and respectively 81 and 219 since then. Sure, get him in for some strong side draws.  I see nothing wrong with giving Bennett the best chance to succeed on LW by playing him with skilled players like Frolik and Ryan.  It's not like he gets stuck with Hathaway or Brouwer.

It might even make sense to play Lindholm between Bennett and Frolik.  That would put Backlund between Tkachuk and Ryan.  Hmmmm.  LOL  

I saw an article where Gaudreau would prefer to have Neal play with him and Monahan which makes the most sense IMO. Playmaker and two snipers.

Same could be said for Tkachuk with Backlund and Lindholm.

Not sure why everyone is putting Bennett back at C and Ryan on his wing, that takes two players out of their best positions. We should have learned by now that Bennett needs to play a simple game on LW and have two accomplished veterans Ryan and Frolik with him. If his game doesn't pick up playing with these two then it is time to write him off.