The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I'm liking the Giordano / Andersson pairing.

They were the best of a bad defensive showing.

Three D played over 20 minutes, Gio, Brodie and Hanifin.  Andersson played 19.

We struggled with the speed of the team.  Need to cleen up that crap.

Lindy struggled almost as much as the D.  May be the right time to give Neal the JH treatment.  See what that does.

Hathaway played one of his best games in a long time.

The 3rd line was not very good.  The 4th line should have got more minutes based on that.

All hail Rittich.

The third line of Bennett-Ryan-Neal is looking promising. Five on five the lines are starting to come together. They need work on the PP though. I don't know why they haven't put Neal on the top PP unit. He might have the best shot on the team and that was a big part of him being acquired. 

Looks like Ritter is the starter tonight.  In the starter net during practice.  Unconfirmed, but usually the sign.

I like this move because it rewards the player and it shows faith in him.  MTL will be a fast skating team and I feel Rittich plays well in that type of game.  This also shows that Smith will get PITTS.  Keep both fresh.  Give Smith the better team, and let the two performances determine the WASH start.

No personnel changes from the NYR game.

Lines and pairs:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Bennett-Ryan-Neal

Dube-Jankowski-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Valimaki-Stone

Rittich

Smith

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Looks like Ritter is the starter tonight.  In the starter net during practice.  Unconfirmed, but usually the sign.

I like this move because it rewards the player and it shows faith in him.  MTL will be a fast skating team and I feel Rittich plays well in that type of game.  This also shows that Smith will get PITTS.  Keep both fresh.  Give Smith the better team, and let the two performances determine the WASH start.

No personnel changes from the NYR game.

Lines and pairs:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Bennett-Ryan-Neal

Dube-Jankowski-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Andersson

Valimaki-Stone

Rittich

Smith

Is there any word that Czarnik is injured at all  or simply sitting in favor of Hathaway ?

42 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Is there any word that Czarnik is injured at all  or simply sitting in favor of Hathaway ?

All signs point to a healthy scratch.  BP seems to be singling one guy out to bring in guys to see how they are doing.

Janko got in and has stayed in.  Hathaway got in and has had at least one solid game.  Czarnik will need to prove he's better in practice and have one guy look bad in a game.  I would have picked Czarnik over Hathaway for speed against MTL.  But there is obviously some concern with his play withut the puck.  I say this because some focus on him when he out there while the other team possesses the puck.  The common opinion is that he floats.  I haven;t really noticed, but he does need to be better than he was the last game I watched.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

All signs point to a healthy scratch.  BP seems to be singling one guy out to bring in guys to see how they are doing.

Janko got in and has stayed in.  Hathaway got in and has had at least one solid game.  Czarnik will need to prove he's better in practice and have one guy look bad in a game.  I would have picked Czarnik over Hathaway for speed against MTL.  But there is obviously some concern with his play withut the puck.  I say this because some focus on him when he out there while the other team possesses the puck.  The common opinion is that he floats.  I haven;t really noticed, but he does need to be better than he was the last game I watched.

THX

What I find interesting is that we have three bona fide rookies on the big club and they are not the ones sitting.

They are not playing over their heads.

For the most part they are playing the minutes you expect a vet to play.

The time has come for BP to settle in on his lines and pairings, the experimenting is now hurting us. Last night was terrible for a lot of reasons but Tkachuk said it best "if we are going to be a playoff team we have to beat these teams" meaning MON and some other on paper weaker teams. We are playing confused and this is from to many different looks and players not settling in with their line mates. While our players are figuring it out we are getting out hustled and losing battles all over the ice. Time to firm tings up.

Just my observations but here is the set up I would run with heading into November.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lindholm

Frolik, Backlund, Ryan

Dube, Jankowski, Czarnik

Rychel, Hathaway

Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Stone or Hamonic (on his return)

Valimaki, Brodie

Prout to Stockton

GOALIES

Smith, Rittich

25 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

The time has come for BP to settle in on his lines and pairings, the experimenting is now hurting us. Last night was terrible for a lot of reasons but Tkachuk said it best "if we are going to be a playoff team we have to beat these teams" meaning MON and some other on paper weaker teams. We are playing confused and this is from to many different looks and players not settling in with their line mates. While our players are figuring it out we are getting out hustled and losing battles all over the ice. Time to firm tings up.

Just my observations but here is the set up I would run with heading into November.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lindholm

Frolik, Backlund, Ryan

Dube, Jankowski, Czarnik

Rychel, Hathaway

Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Stone or Hamonic (on his return)

Valimaki, Brodie

Prout to Stockton

GOALIES

Smith, Rittich

There's nothing really wrong with your player usage.  But it's not something that has been tried.  So, this is another experiment that hasn't happened and would need time to gel.  FIne.  But you will have to take the good with the bad if you are doing that.  Thinking about some of the defense, I think it will be a work in progress.  Gio and Ras are good together, but I don;t think that's a long term thing right now.  Hanifin-Hamonic seems to be fine, but it really depends on how they use Ras.  Valimaki-Brodie is probably better than Stone, but I would still lean more on keeping him with Gio.  NY and MTL are not good defensive games, so I wouldn;t pick on Brodie only in those games.

Did Hathaway ever get waived?  I was thinking that the two players that we could use as extras are Foo and Rychel.  One as an extra for each wing.  Foo is more synamic than Hathaway and gets a lot of shots away.  Rychel is just a big body that might score.  

Here's what I would do with the forward lines

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Bennett-Monahan-Neal

Dube-Backlund-Frolik

Hathaway-Jankowski-Ryan

Gaudreau and Lindholm have found some chemistry, but they need someone to dig the puck out of the corners and battle for the puck for them.

Monahan needs diggers to get him the puck and Bennett and Neal will be able to do that, Bennett will also help Monahan defensively.

Dube, Backlund and Frolik can do the heavy lifting defensively.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

There's nothing really wrong with your player usage.  But it's not something that has been tried.  So, this is another experiment that hasn't happened and would need time to gel.  FIne.  But you will have to take the good with the bad if you are doing that.  Thinking about some of the defense, I think it will be a work in progress.  Gio and Ras are good together, but I don;t think that's a long term thing right now.  Hanifin-Hamonic seems to be fine, but it really depends on how they use Ras.  Valimaki-Brodie is probably better than Stone, but I would still lean more on keeping him with Gio.  NY and MTL are not good defensive games, so I wouldn;t pick on Brodie only in those games.

Did Hathaway ever get waived?  I was thinking that the two players that we could use as extras are Foo and Rychel.  One as an extra for each wing.  Foo is more synamic than Hathaway and gets a lot of shots away.  Rychel is just a big body that might score.  

We saw a lot of everything last night so I am as confused as the players likely are right now. BP has to realize the need to get these lines and pairings settled in if he wants a consistent effort. I think BT brought Neal in to play with Gaudreau and Monahan so put him there and leave him there. Build a new scoring line using the best assets to have it and that is Tkachuk, Bennett and Lindholm this season. Backlund, Frolik and Ryan are all responsible get the job done against the opposition's top line type of players so use them in this capacity. Our 4th line could offer different looks against certain teams if BP were to use Rychel and Hathaway in such a way.

On defense BP needs to read the riot act to all of them, to many trying to do it all themselves. I was getting the sense they were wanting to pair vets with youth which is why I have them the way I do. Brodie IMO needs less playing time not more.

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Bennett-Monahan-Neal

Dube-Backlund-Frolik

Hathaway-Jankowski-Ryan

Gaudreau and Lindholm have found some chemistry, but they need someone to dig the puck out of the corners and battle for the puck for them.

Monahan needs diggers to get him the puck and Bennett and Neal will be able to do that, Bennett will also help Monahan defensively.

LOL we are all as bad as BP has been throughout October.

13 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Bennett-Monahan-Neal

Dube-Backlund-Frolik

Hathaway-Jankowski-Ryan

I think it's becoming obvious that Lindholm fits anywhere.  He just scores.  

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Bennett-Monahan-Neal

Dube-Backlund-Frolik

Hathaway-Jankowski-Ryan

I like what you’re saying. 

For some reason I see Bennett and Lindholm a good match.

On 2018-10-20 at 9:06 AM, MAC331 said:

Why do you view this as negativity ? I'm just giving my view of some moves that would hopefully improve them as a team moving into the season more. I want to see this Coach max out the talent he has now. I understand the experimenting through October but there needs to be some fine tuning yet.

Nothing personal, I’ve just found there has been an over abundance of negative comments with guys down on the team or players, including some of yours.  It’s taking a lot of the enjoyment out of watching the Flames come together, and their good start.  

Our issue isn't scoring. It is terrible defensive play. And it isn't just our D, or even mostly our D. Our forwards are a huge defensive liability. So is a lack of speed on some lines. We need defensively strong speedy forwards on all lines. 

It starts down the middle. Monahan was forecasted as a Toews type, but he has been too focused on offense. Time to get him away from Gaudreau. Also, we need to move Ryan off of C. He isn't strong defensively. Your Centre's need to be Monahan (with defensive wingers), Lindholm, and Backlund. 

Plus, you can't have two slow players on a line together. Which means Tkachuk, Monahan, and Neal need to be on separate lines.

You also can't have two defensively poor players on one line. So Neal, Monahan, Gaudreau, and Ryan can't be on the same line. 

So let's start with that. 

Bennett-Monahan-Frolik

Dube-Backlund-Neal

Hathaway-Jankowski-Ryan

This is one of the few combinations that meet all of the criteria above. Tbere is not first, second, third line in this scenario. 

7 hours ago, kehatch said:

Our issue isn't scoring. It is terrible defensive play. And it isn't just our D, or even mostly our D. Our forwards are a huge defensive liability. So is a lack of speed on some lines. We need defensively strong speedy forwards on all lines. 

It starts down the middle. Monahan was forecasted as a Toews type, but he has been too focused on offense. Time to get him away from Gaudreau. Also, we need to move Ryan off of C. He isn't strong defensively. Your Centre's need to be Monahan (with defensive wingers), Lindholm, and Backlund. 

Plus, you can't have two slow players on a line together. Which means Tkachuk, Monahan, and Neal need to be on separate lines.

You also can't have two defensively poor players on one line. So Neal, Monahan, Gaudreau, and Ryan can't be on the same line. 

Bennett-Monahan-Frolik

Dube-Backlund-Neal

Hathaway-Jankowski-Ryan

This is one of the few combinations that meet all of the criteria above. Tbere is not first, second, third line in this scenario. 

Now that is high-level thinking, and it all starts with breaking up the Gaudreau-Monahan pairing.   Hmmm, let's see what develops.

7 hours ago, kehatch said:

Bennett-Monahan-Frolik

Dube-Backlund-Neal

Hathaway-Jankowski-Ryan

You make some good points.  I'm not a huge fan of Ryan as full time C.  Unfortunately, I can't see many of those lines fitting together very well.  Bennett doesn;t seem to be able to pass that well, and he doesn;t think the game well enough to finish plays.  What does the Backlund line do other than prevent.  Neal will score very little there.  The Lindy line would be the best of the bunch, but then again Lindy plays well in any role it seems.   The Janko line would be fine, swapping out Hathaway for Czarnik or Mangiapane.  

I do think there are some changes that can be made to improve the lines, but I don;t think they are drastic.  Adding Neal or Tkachuk to the top line may be enough to get them over the hump.  Neal provides that big body that can dig the puck away from the other team in the D-zone.  Tkachuk definitely helps.  I don;t so much worry about the speed, considering we have D that can join the rush if somebody recognizes you can't all be in the O-zone deep.

11 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Nothing personal, I’ve just found there has been an over abundance of negative comments with guys down on the team or players, including some of yours.  It’s taking a lot of the enjoyment out of watching the Flames come together, and their good start.  

I wouldn't let it bother you that much. I just want to see BP get through the October feel out session with the team and settle into lines and pairings that work well together or better than last seasons given the new players now. What we want to see as individuals and what takes place seldom ever matches up but don't take it as complaining or negativity as its only comments.

I would like to see Neal on the top line because he knows how to work the boards effectively and scores, Gaudreau and Monahan need this for their line because they don't do it.

This is nothing against Lindholm on the top line but he appears to be more effective in open ice. I think the wait for Bennett to emerge is over but I see moving him between Tkachuk and Lindholm as the makings of a dynomite line together.

A line of Frolik, Backlund and Ryan with some time together could become the best shutdown line in the league IMO.

Our 4th line also has a chance to be something special with Dube, Jankowski and Czarnik learning and earning more opportunities. All 3 are also players that could move up to top  if needed. Having Hathaway and someone like Rychel for the 4th line allows us to play a heavier game against certain teams when required.

On Defense I like the idea of experience and youth matched up and we are finding out a few things while Hamonic is out.

I like this team.

I think it might be time to sit Stone and bring Prout into the lineup. I don't think that Stone is necessarily playing overly bad, I actually think he is playing solid. I just think this team needs some toughness in the lineup. We are getting pushed around a lot to start the year and the one time someone stepped up for a teammate he got his face caved in.

I don't know that there is a huge drop from Stone to Prout, and at least Prout brings an element to this team that appears to be lacking. Between the New York and Montreal games there seemed to be at least 5 questionable hits and there was very little response from this team. I think sometimes early in the year a team needs someone to step up and and to rally the team with a fight or a big hit, I thought Hamonic fighting was going to be it, but when goes out of the lineup for 10 games it kind of takes the wind out of the sails.

35 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think it might be time to sit Stone and bring Prout into the lineup. I don't think that Stone is necessarily playing overly bad, I actually think he is playing solid. I just think this team needs some toughness in the lineup. We are getting pushed around a lot to start the year and the one time someone stepped up for a teammate he got his face caved in.

I don't know that there is a huge drop from Stone to Prout, and at least Prout brings an element to this team that appears to be lacking. Between the New York and Montreal games there seemed to be at least 5 questionable hits and there was very little response from this team. I think sometimes early in the year a team needs someone to step up and and to rally the team with a fight or a big hit, I thought Hamonic fighting was going to be it, but when goes out of the lineup for 10 games it kind of takes the wind out of the sails.

I would tend to agree.  He played the game against VAN, right?  He played 13 minutes even for the game.  Had there been a dustup, he would have been involved.  Maybe he would not have been on against Benn, but surely he would have let him know he was in the lineup.  Same goes for McAvoy.  

PITTS and WASH have some dirty players that need to be held accountable for their actions.  Hornqvist is going to level players when he gets a chance.  Malkin hacks a lot.  Don;t want them to feel they have free reign out there.  No, I don't think Prout is as good as Stone, but Stone was on for every single goal against last game.  Being turnstyled is nothing new.  Prout was similar in one goal against in VAN, but IIRC that was a PK.  He has been practicing.  Maybe he's no good.    

Interesting pairings today.

Gio-Andersson

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Prout

Brodie-Stone

By the looks of it, Hanifin will sit after a brutal game.

Also, Ryan skating as an extra, Czarnik back in.

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Vali-Prout looks like the pair that will sit.

Peluso not at the morning skate, so we're going with 8 Dmen?

I don't know if Hammer has been activated yet.

Peluso can be re-assigned without waivers.

If I had my guess, this is a message for Hanifin.

It is possible that Valimaki will be sent down, but I hope not.