Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

redfire11

Lines and Pairings for 2018/19 Season

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Vali-Prout looks like the pair that will sit.

Peluso not at the morning skate, so we're going with 8 Dmen?

I hope this coaching staff is learning more about these players than they are showing. I can't wait to get out of October with some real value decisions made by them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Vali-Prout looks like the pair that will sit.

Peluso not at the morning skate, so we're going with 8 Dmen?

 

I think you go with 8 till you know what shape Hamonic is going to be in.

 

I am fine with Valimaki sitting out a game tonight. Gives him a chance to take a step back and see the game from a different perspective. The other thing here is that Valimaki is eligible for his entry level deal to slide, so if he spent the rest of the year in Stockton his deal wouldn't kick in till next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

I think you go with 8 till you know what shape Hamonic is going to be in.

 

I am fine with Valimaki sitting out a game tonight. Gives him a chance to take a step back and see the game from a different perspective. The other thing here is that Valimaki is eligible for his entry level deal to slide, so if he spent the rest of the year in Stockton his deal wouldn't kick in till next year.

 

Peluso to AHL.

Gives us the options on D, if Hammer isn;t ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

I think you go with 8 till you know what shape Hamonic is going to be in.

 

I am fine with Valimaki sitting out a game tonight. Gives him a chance to take a step back and see the game from a different perspective. The other thing here is that Valimaki is eligible for his entry level deal to slide, so if he spent the rest of the year in Stockton his deal wouldn't kick in till next year.

 

I think it would be quite the slap in the face at this point for the Flames to do that. I'm fine with him sitting a game too but I think he's earned the chance to get his deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cross16 said:

 

I think it would be quite the slap in the face at this point for the Flames to do that. I'm fine with him sitting a game too but I think he's earned the chance to get his deal. 

 

I would tend to agree, but can the Flames compete with 3 defensemen 21 and under in your top 6 the whole year? It would make for a tough year, even though Hanifin, Valimaki and Andersson are all very skilled and have high ceilings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

I would tend to agree, but can the Flames compete with 3 defensemen 21 and under in your top 6 the whole year? It would make for a tough year, even though Hanifin, Valimaki and Andersson are all very skilled and have high ceilings.

 

They'll be growing pains for sure but i'd bet on the upside myself. Think they have a better chance of competing with those guys growing their games than the likes of Stone/Prout/some other veteran dman acquisition. Might even put Hamonic in that group. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cross16 said:

 

They'll be growing pains for sure but i'd bet on the upside myself. Think they have a better chance of competing with those guys growing their games than the likes of Stone/Prout/some other veteran dman acquisition. Might even put Hamonic in that group. 

 

I would agree.  I see no good reason to demote Valimaki.

He's been as good or better than Brodie.

He's been paired with a slouch, so I can;t blame him for any struggles.

 

There's little point in calling up another forward right now, so 8D makes sense.

The competition will be for the bottom pairing, between Valimaki, Stone, and Prout.  

The obvious demotion is Prout.

We don't need to do any paper transactions now, since we are at the roster limit.

Waiving Prout and sending him to the AHL will help those guys.  They lack a RHS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I would agree.  I see no good reason to demote Valimaki.

He's been as good or better than Brodie.

He's been paired with a slouch, so I can;t blame him for any struggles.

 

There's little point in calling up another forward right now, so 8D makes sense.

The competition will be for the bottom pairing, between Valimaki, Stone, and Prout.  

The obvious demotion is Prout.

We don't need to do any paper transactions now, since we are at the roster limit.

Waiving Prout and sending him to the AHL will help those guys.  They lack a RHS.

This could be nothing more than BP seeing for himself what Brodie looks like on the LS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

This could be nothing more than BP seeing for himself what Brodie looks like on the LS.

 

With Peters there is no hidden messgage.

Valimaki comes out if Hammer is in.

There's no discussion about Val going to the AHL...at this point.

A guy comes back in, another guy sits.

With Valimaki sitting, the player can see how much time he has to make plays.

One thing he did say was that playing the vets against a very good team is likely better than a rookie pairing. 

I'm not the biggest fan of Ras playing LD, but we will see.

BP also said he doubts TJ starts on the 3rd pairing.

If anything, it's about giving Ras some extra practice with Gio, in case there is need to switch things up.

Hanifin-Hamonic is all about playing the pair that practiced pre-season and until the 2nd game.

He gets asked these questions about so and so sitting, and he alsways says, a guy comes in, a guy sits out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

This could be nothing more than BP seeing for himself what Brodie looks like on the LS.

 

And after my long post, it looks like Peters is indeed pairing Brodie with Stone.

Maybe he just, as you say, wants to see Brodie on LD. 

Then again, I wouldn;t think that BP wants to call out Brodie specifically for the last two games as the whole team was meh.

It does send a signal to Brodie that he is not immune to changes.

 

Sounds like Hanifin will get PP time.  Czarnik is for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

With Peters there is no hidden messgage.

Valimaki comes out if Hammer is in.

There's no discussion about Val going to the AHL...at this point.

A guy comes back in, another guy sits.

With Valimaki sitting, the player can see how much time he has to make plays.

One thing he did say was that playing the vets against a very good team is likely better than a rookie pairing. 

I'm not the biggest fan of Ras playing LD, but we will see.

BP also said he doubts TJ starts on the 3rd pairing.

If anything, it's about giving Ras some extra practice with Gio, in case there is need to switch things up.

Hanifin-Hamonic is all about playing the pair that practiced pre-season and until the 2nd game.

He gets asked these questions about so and so sitting, and he alsways says, a guy comes in, a guy sits out.

 

Why is it you try to make every post a lesson like you are the only one who knows what's going on with the team ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Why is it you try to make every post a lesson like you are the only one who knows what's going on with the team ?

 

I don't care if you agree or not.  You seem to post a lot of responses that are one line criticisms of the poster/post.

You don't want to read?  Fine.  Ignore it.  Debate the content?  Absolutely, that's why we are here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I don't care if you agree or not.  You seem to post a lot of responses that are one line criticisms of the poster/post.

You don't want to read?  Fine.  Ignore it.  Debate the content?  Absolutely, that's why we are here.

No thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems straightforward to me that we should be looking at forward lines of:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk

Bennett-Lindholm-Neal

Dube-Backlund-Frolik

Jankowski-Ryan-Hathaway

Czarnik

 

When Tkachuk has played on the top line they have done nothing but drive play. Bennett and Neal have looked good together and Lindholm has played center before, he and Bennett can both take strong side faceoffs. Dube has a decent two way game and is added to the shutdown line, Backline and Frolik have excelled with a rookie winger twice before. The fourth line can provide every when needed.

 

PP1: Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund, Giordano.

 

PP2: Bennett, Lindholm, Neal, Andersson, Hanafin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎27 at 0:08 AM, JA_Boomer said:

It seems straightforward to me that we should be looking at forward lines of:

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk

Bennett-Lindholm-Neal

Dube-Backlund-Frolik

Jankowski-Ryan-Hathaway

Czarnik

 

When Tkachuk has played on the top line they have done nothing but drive play. Bennett and Neal have looked good together and Lindholm has played center before, he and Bennett can both take strong side faceoffs. Dube has a decent two way game and is added to the shutdown line, Backline and Frolik have excelled with a rookie winger twice before. The fourth line can provide every when needed.

 

PP1: Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund, Giordano.

 

PP2: Bennett, Lindholm, Neal, Andersson, Hanafin.

As you have seen there are 10 or more different versions of what we as fans and posters to believe would be the best setup, welcome to the Club.

I don't think you ask Tkachuk to switch positions when our GM went out and specifically signed Neal a proven success on RW for our top line. Some fail to recognize that one of Tkachuk prime talents is as a playmaker. We need a second scoring line as good or better than what is now our top line in order to become a better team. The line staring us in the face is Tkachuk, Bennett and Lindholm not the old 3M line.

We have the talent to set up what should be one of the best shutdown lines in hockey with Frolik, Backlund and Ryan now, use them in this way.

The unique opportunity I see is with our 4th line and the ability to use our youthful talent to address some additional scoring or another shut down line depending on who the opposition is on a given night.

On defense it appeared at one point that the plan was to match up our young defensemen with an experienced vet which I think is the right way to go.Hanifin, Valimaki and Andersson are very talented and this season could and should be very instrumental in their development.

In goal, Smith simply needs to get his #%&@ together.

FORWARDS

Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lindholm

Frolik, Backlund, Ryan

Dube, Jankowski, Czarnik

Rychel                  Hathaway

DEFENSE

Giordano, Anderson

Hanifin, Brodie

Valimaki, Hamonic

Stone

GOALIES

Smith, Rittich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎27 at 6:50 PM, 420since1974 said:

I'd switch your second line around a little bit.

 

Bennett - Lindholm - Tkachuk

Why ? Bennett is a natural C, Lindholm is doing fine on RW and was brought in to play there and Tkachuk needs to stay on LW. Bennett was never given any decent wingers and now would be the time to see if he can be the C we wanted and expected IMO. He seems to have the mindset now to perform or he could be gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Why?

Because I consider Lindholm to be the better center.

Why what tells you that ? Lindholm was brought in here to be a RHS and a RH face off option on the ice from RW so use him this way. I see a real change in Bennett this season and now with this group of assembled talent I would be putting him back to C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their career stats tell me that.

That said, I can see an improvement in Bennett's play too.

It wouldn't bother me if the Flames tried your proposed line.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Why what tells you that ? Lindholm was brought in here to be a RHS and a RH face off option on the ice from RW so use him this way. I see a real change in Bennett this season and now with this group of assembled talent I would be putting him back to C.

 

They brought him in here becuase we don;t have any RHS C's and he's a smart defensive player.

He was used as the backup C on the top line because Monahan was coming off injury.

The initial thought was that Tkachuk would move to the top line.

When Neal was signed, the options were many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

They brought him in here becuase we don;t have any RHS C's and he's a smart defensive player.

He was used as the backup C on the top line because Monahan was coming off injury.

The initial thought was that Tkachuk would move to the top line.

When Neal was signed, the options were many.

I would love to know where you get all this inside information.

Lindholm was brought in to play RW and be a RH draw for the Cs we had here.

Lindholm has been used on the top line RW for this very purpose and the placement is working out for the best.

No I don't believe Tkachuk was ever a thought to play RW top line. Neal is Tkachuk with tons more experience and plays RW.

Neal was brought in for many reasons and I have no problems with making adjustments as you discover who plays best with who. You could alternate Lindholm and Neal top line and likely no miss a beat, which is a good thing. The continued mistake being made now is leaving Tkachuk with Backlund and Frolik IMO. If I were BP a line of Tkachuk, Bennett and Neal is what I would be exploring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I would love to know where you get all this inside information.

 

I do research that is available to everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...